Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Pottermore v7

Old August 4th, 2011, 6:34 pm
MODLY CREW

Re: Pottermore v7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP_FredWeasley View Post
so, i haven't read these threads in a while and it appears like i haven't posted since they've all been deleted, but is anyone getting the feeling that early pottermore isn't really that exclusive? pretty much everyone i know is in early...and i thought i was special...
It was clear from the beginning that up to one million fans would get early access to the site.

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2011, 6:35 pm
Second Year

help! i found the quill and im on the registration screen but no matter what my password is "Weak" and i cant register, how do i get a "Strong" password?
Im using random alpha-numeric characteres...
nevermind, my browser was messed up, just needed to refresh

Pottermore Username: FireboltPurple63

Last edited by Pottermore; August 4th, 2011 at 6:40 pm.
Old August 4th, 2011, 6:37 pm
First Year

I would just suggest thinking up a long number and a word I wouldn't talk about passwords though just for safety just try something really long lol

Old August 4th, 2011, 6:41 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottermore View Post
help! i found the quill and im on the registration screen but no matter what my password is "Weak" and i cant register, how do i get a "Strong" password?
I don't think that should stop you from registering. Did you click that you agreed to the terms? My password was weak and it didn't stop me.

Old August 4th, 2011, 6:42 pm
First Year

Quote:
nevermind, my browser was messed up, just needed to refresh
another bit you can do is capitalize at least one letter and that should at least get you to medium and let you register.

Old August 4th, 2011, 6:42 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Registration is possible with a "weak" password, as long as it contains a minimum of 6 characters with at least 1 number. I would just ensure that your password falls within those restraints and that you are re-typing the same password.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP_FredWeasley
so, i haven't read these threads in a while and it appears like i haven't posted since they've all been deleted, but is anyone getting the feeling that early pottermore isn't really that exclusive? pretty much everyone i know is in early...and i thought i was special...
1,000,000 beta-users includes a lot of people! Originally, I, too, thought it would be more difficult to be among those 1 million, but I think Pottermore's staggering of early registration avoided the mass of Harry Potter fans attempting to register, crashing the servers, and possibly trying to cheat the system.

Also, remember that "everyone you know" that has registered for Pottermore includes Harry Potter fans. Those are the people who are most likely to seek the Pottermore early registration, so it is understandable why the majority of fans on fan sites, forums, etc. have been granted access, in my opinion.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138

Last edited by MrSleepyHead; August 4th, 2011 at 6:45 pm.
Old August 4th, 2011, 6:45 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

The only thing the weak/medium/strong password detector does is let you know how easy it could be for someone to steal your password and hack your account.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old August 4th, 2011, 6:47 pm
Sixth Year

if you do get through registration how long is the typical wait for the confirmation email?

Old August 4th, 2011, 6:48 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
It was clear from the beginning that up to one million fans would get early access to the site.
that is true, but for some reason that number didn't seem big to me, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
1,000,000 beta-users includes a lot of people! Originally, I, too, thought it would be more difficult to be among those 1 million, but I think Pottermore's staggering of early registration avoided the mass of Harry Potter fans attempting to register, crashing the servers, and possibly trying to cheat the system.

Also, remember that "everyone you know" that has registered for Pottermore includes Harry Potter fans. Those are the people who are most likely to seek the Pottermore early registration, so it is understandable why the majority of fans on fan sites, forums, etc. have been granted access, in my opinion.
it's not that i'm complaining, i'm more than glad that i got in and i'm happy for everyone else, but i just wish i hadn't frantically pulled an all-nighter thinking it was going to fill up impossibly fast...

Old August 4th, 2011, 6:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Elven View Post
if you do get through registration how long is the typical wait for the confirmation email?
I got mine almost immediately yesterday. It depends though, shouldn't take longer than a couple hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNorris View Post
I'm in, and have immediately forgotten my username

I don't suppose remembering it was essential?
Actually no it isn't. When you get the email the link it takes you to has your username on it and you just have to enter your password.

Old August 4th, 2011, 6:52 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Elven View Post
I have this question too. It's also apparently an invalid account if you don't get the email in the next 42 hours after you register?

Old August 4th, 2011, 6:53 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

48 hours!

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old August 4th, 2011, 6:54 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNorris View Post
I'm in, and have immediately forgotten my username

I don't suppose remembering it was essential?
Heh heh, oops.

In the immortal words of Henry Jones, Sr., "I wrote them down so I wouldn't have to remember."

If you haven't received your validation e-mail yet, then when you receive it, click on the link, and you'll be taken to the login page with your username already filled in. Write it down!

Otherwise: Yes, you will need to get your username, but if you go to the login page, there's a link to something like "Forgot your username?" You could try that, although there have been reports of the response being rather slow on that.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle

Last edited by BrianTung; August 4th, 2011 at 6:57 pm.
Old August 4th, 2011, 6:58 pm
Fifth Year

Got in, got my "Your registration to Pottermore has begun..." email within minutes, and confirmed it right away. But I've been talking to people who registered just a little later than me and they don't seem to have gotten their emails yet. I'm assuming as long as you were granted a username, you are good to go and the email will soon follow.

I'm CatSnitch##. So excited, yay!

I met J. K. Rowling!

She said you should read my fanfics:
Sirius Black and the Drapery of Doom The Werewolf Prank (by capella_black and Arithmancer)
Regulus Kills Again (One-shot) Lily Evans and the Golden Lyre

Pottermore: CatSnitch Black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding

Last edited by capella_black; August 4th, 2011 at 7:30 pm.
Old August 4th, 2011, 7:04 pm
Snidget of Champions

The e-mails seem to have been disseminated much more quickly recently. During the first couple of clues, Pottermore was experiencing heavy delays in sending out e-mails, especially to Yahoo! accounts. The Pottermore Insider noted that the Yahoo! issue has been resolved, so I think all the e-mails should arrive fairly quickly.

But even if it does not arrive in a time you deem to be "quick," I would not worry. You have just under 48 hours to receive the e-mail in order for your account to be activated. As long as you received confirmation of your registration and that your e-mail has been sent, you can rest. The validation of the account is not time-sensitive, save for the restraint of it occurring within 48 hours.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old August 4th, 2011, 7:16 pm
Sixth Year

Thank you everyone for your help.

Old August 4th, 2011, 7:17 pm
First Year

Has anyone gotten a welcoming email? How long did it take you?

Old August 4th, 2011, 7:18 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDahB View Post
Here's a magical solution I found that may work for some of you out there who haven't been able to register or who are just aching to see the next clue asap:

I you use the Chrome browser, you can download an extension called "Auto Refresh Plus". Once it's installed, you can go to pottermore.com and then turn the extension on (it's a little blue button to the right of the address bar). You can set how often the page refreshes (mine is every 12 seconds). Here's where it gets really good: you can set the Page Monitor and a notification sound in the ARP settings so that you can get automatically notified whey the clue goes up. For example, I put "day 5" in the Page Monitor section under "Popup Notification once FIND the target:". This means that every twelve seconds pottermore.com is refreshed and if the clue has gone up I get a pop-up window in the bottom right of my screen (the popup works even if you are working on other things and don't even have a Chrome window on top) along with a notification sound being played. This is perfect for me since I'm working and can justify taking a break to quill find but can't stare at pottermore for the next 3.5 hours hitting refresh.

There may be a Firefox extension like this too, but I didn't find it very easily. Plus Firefox is my primary browser and I'm working so I've got tons of tabs open so I'd rather us a fresh window for quill questing anyway.

Happy hunting.
Thank you very much for these instructions. This tip paid off as it alerted me (I was in another room of my home.) to when the clue was published. I was able to quickly answer the clue and found the quill. If there are others who haven't been able to register for Pottermore, please utilize Google Chrome and the instructions listed in the above quote. You won't be sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFeather View Post
Has anyone gotten a welcoming email? How long did it take you?
I received a confirmation e-mail within 30 minutes of registering to my Gmail account. Please note that you will have to click on a link within the e-mail to validate your account within 48 hours.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw

Last edited by Snapes_Girl; August 4th, 2011 at 7:20 pm.
Old August 4th, 2011, 7:24 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapes_Girl View Post
I received a confirmation e-mail within 30 minutes of registering to my Gmail account. Please note that you will have to click on a link within the e-mail to validate your account within 48 hours.
DragonFeather is talking about the welcoming email after all that. which was something else I was wondering. it says it could be up to a few weeks to get it.

Old August 4th, 2011, 7:31 pm
Fifth Year

Some people on Twitter have been saying that there is serious Pottermore account hacking going on, and that if you post your username you are vulnerable. Anyone here know anything more about this?

I met J. K. Rowling!

She said you should read my fanfics:
Sirius Black and the Drapery of Doom The Werewolf Prank (by capella_black and Arithmancer)
Regulus Kills Again (One-shot) Lily Evans and the Golden Lyre

Pottermore: CatSnitch Black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References