Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What would you change about the films?

Old August 14th, 2011, 7:26 pm
First Year

Re: What would you change about the films?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieechan View Post
Lol, I'd make it exactly like the books, frame-by-frame, line-by-line, if it was possible.
Same here. Whenever i finish a movie i complain about any change from the book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbyfan619 View Post
Goblet of Fire:
- Extend the third task scene in the Triwizard tournament to make it more exciting and have that real sense of danger that was felt in the book.
- Have Dobby give Harry the gillyweed for the second task instead of Neville.
- A better portrayal of Dumbledore by Michael Gambon and a better explanation of Priori Incantatem.
I wish they had included Ludo Bagman. That was a dissapointment to me

Made by SadiraSnape
We are Slytherin.

"The Dark Arts are many, varied, ever-changing, and eternal. Fighting them is like fighting a many-headed monster, which, each time a neck is severed, sprouts a head even fiercer and cleverer than before. You are fighting that which is unfixed, mutating, indestructible."
—Severus Snape

Pottermore: BludgerIce121

Last edited by ecrhoad; August 14th, 2011 at 7:36 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2011, 5:14 pm
Second Year

I'd have Rupert enunciate his lines more clearly.

Old August 18th, 2011, 6:05 pm
First Year

The way they did Harry and Ginny's relationship. I think they destroyed it in the movies and some of the scenes were just plain stupid and awkward (Like when she was doing his shoelaces for him in HBP. . Like what the hell !?!) and they messed up all their kissing scenes (I can't believe they changed Harry's birthday kiss in DH. .) and you could totally tell they just rushed the more 'romantic'/coupley scenes. I just felt the whole thing was stupid and it didn't do either of the characters justice.

Image by the lovely SadriaSnape.

COS: Ravenclaw
FORT Sorting: Slytherin

I wonder where Jo will put me ?
Old August 18th, 2011, 6:15 pm
Second Year

I might get a different actor to play Seamus, or at least have Devon Murray speak his lines slower and more clearly. Seamus' lines are mostly fantastic, but the first time watching the movies I had a hard time understanding just what Devon was saying!

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Old August 18th, 2011, 7:21 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvieBlackthorn View Post
The way they did Harry and Ginny's relationship. I think they destroyed it in the movies and some of the scenes were just plain stupid and awkward (Like when she was doing his shoelaces for him in HBP. . Like what the hell !?!) and they messed up all their kissing scenes (I can't believe they changed Harry's birthday kiss in DH. .) and you could totally tell they just rushed the more 'romantic'/coupley scenes. I just felt the whole thing was stupid and it didn't do either of the characters justice.
Mhm, I agree. I feel that this drawing exhibits the comparison of both relationships:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ug-d40edko.jpg

Source: GryffSolider

POTTERMORE: SeerPatronus178
Proud Gryffindor
Just kidding! JK Rowling put me in Slytherin. Now time to accept my inner Slytherin...
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:33 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvieBlackthorn View Post
The way they did Harry and Ginny's relationship. I think they destroyed it in the movies and some of the scenes were just plain stupid and awkward ..... I just felt the whole thing was stupid and it didn't do either of the characters justice.
What the movies did wasn't very good. However, what the books did was even worse: I'd go so far as to state that Harry+Ginny was written pretty awfully. (Part of the reason why people here had such problems with it 6 years ago stemmed from this, although a bigger part was the "Harmonians.") Of course, romance was far and away the weakest aspect of the HP series: one could argue that if Rowling had written that part better, then there would not have been so many Harmonians.

Of course, if I could have changed anything about Prince, then it would have been to make the story like the one in the book: Harry's choices in personal politics. Sexual politics are only one part of personal politics. However, sexual politics do not encompass Harry's enmities with Draco and Snape, or his dealing with different rivals to be his mentor (especially from Scrimgeour, but also Slughorn), and simply the contrasts between Harry & Voldemort. "Dumbledore's Man, through and through" really was the summary line for the story.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old August 22nd, 2011, 5:48 pm
First Year

I completely agree about Harry and Ginny's relationship. That drawing sums it up pretty well.

By me ^
Pottermore: MirrorPixie165
You put me in
But Pottermore says I belong in !
Old August 22nd, 2011, 6:24 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
What the movies did wasn't very good. However, what the books did was even worse: I'd go so far as to state that Harry+Ginny was written pretty awfully. (Part of the reason why people here had such problems with it 6 years ago stemmed from this, although a bigger part was the "Harmonians.") Of course, romance was far and away the weakest aspect of the HP series: one could argue that if Rowling had written that part better, then there would not have been so many Harmonians.

Of course, if I could have changed anything about Prince, then it would have been to make the story like the one in the book: Harry's choices in personal politics. Sexual politics are only one part of personal politics. However, sexual politics do not encompass Harry's enmities with Draco and Snape, or his dealing with different rivals to be his mentor (especially from Scrimgeour, but also Slughorn), and simply the contrasts between Harry & Voldemort. "Dumbledore's Man, through and through" really was the summary line for the story.
I couldn't agree with this more. As much as I'm not a "fan girl" when it comes to the romance side of these books, I REALLY wish JK would have included more dialogue here. I know it would have added several more pages to the books, but it would have done so much more to build those characters and those relationships. Everything Harry did was so reactionary... it wasn't until HBP that he started being more forceful in his personal politics.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old August 22nd, 2011, 7:49 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Mm...I disagree. Harry/Ginny has always been there...very subtle, but there. I don't think it's developed as well as say, Ron/Hermione, but the issue was that Ginny wasn't a main character as Ron or Hermione thus we don't see as much of her as we would have liked. And yes, romance wasn't an important aspect in HP as much. But it's not like it came out of the blue.

I don't really think that there would be less H/Hr fans. Personally, I think that wouldn't change because Hermione would still be Harry's best friend and fans would still be inclined to put the main male and the main female character together.

The movies are a different story, however. There have been SOME moments where you could possibly see H/G, but a lot of Ginny's lines were taken down, and HBP made the relationship awkward...mostly because Ginny's character wasn't as funny and witty as in the books - which is why Harry was even attracted to her in the first place. It's like the only point of her was to be his love interest - not the girl who makes him laugh and interacts with him on a friendship level as well as a romantic one.

Source: GryffSolider

POTTERMORE: SeerPatronus178
Proud Gryffindor
Just kidding! JK Rowling put me in Slytherin. Now time to accept my inner Slytherin...
Old August 24th, 2011, 7:25 am
First Year

Movie 1 - Have Dumbledore say what he saw in the Mirror of Erised. I think that would have been kind of funny, Lol.

Movie 2 - Not sure.

Movie 3 - Explain the Marauders. I don't think we really figure out who they are exactly, except Wormtail and Padfoot.

Movie 4 - Have Dumbledore be a little calmer.... He wouldn't roar in the Great Hall for Harry Potter, he wouldn't strangle Harry in the trophy room, he wouldn't bark at Moody, he wouldn't act so confused and worried, and he would not bark at the champions to "Gather round. QUICKLY!" I mean, was that really necessary? Also make the ending a little better... less cheesy....

Movie 5 - I would make the duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort a bit different. I would have the statues come to life and have Fawkes come and swallow the Killing Curse for Dumbledore. I would also have Voldemort call Bellatrix "Bella". I don't know, but I found that really weird for some reason... Lol. And I would have Harry go berserk in Dumbledore's office, having him break the instruments and such. Oh yes, and Dumbledore would not bark at the students... "Don't you all have studying to do?!?!?!?! [You little retards....]"

Movie 6 - Have Dumbledore go to the Dursleys' instead of picking Harry up at the cafe. I would have loved to see the Dursleys again. I would have more of the memories, particularly the Gaunts and Lord Voldemort's Request. I'm not sure the second one is too, too important, but it would be cool. Also at the as they come out of the cave, I would have Dumbledore say, "I am not worried, Harry. I am with you." They filmed that but deleted it....

Movie 7: Part 1 - Keep in the Dursleys Departing scene (they deleted it). Have the vision of Voldemort going to find Gregorovitch but instead finding the German mother and her two children in his old house, and then killing them. Have Voldemort go to Godric's Hollow and have his flashback to Hallowe'en, 1981. I would have loved to have seen the full scene. Have Grindelwald not tell Voldemort about the Elder Wand, and have Voldemort kill him. Oh yes, and keep in Dean Thomas.

Movie 7: Part 2 - Have the WB logo up in flames. (I'm not sure if that would work well with the Snape opening, but in the last one, it was all rusting and about to break, and now it's all silver and clean and new?) Lengthen Voldemort's anxiety attack: Have him interrogate the goblin and then kill everyone. The Prince's Tale: If they were showing Lily dying, I wish they would have shown James being killed for once.... I think they give Lily way more screentime than James; also, give James glasses in the beginning! King's Cross: Have Dumbledore in purple robes. I think that would look very good with this new Dumbledore, what with his white, untethered beard; and I think Michael Gambon could pull it off. He didn't have be Dumbledore the White! ... Not have Bellatrix explode. Let Harry have the very last line.... I was kind of annoyed that they gave him the last line in every other movie BUT this one. Come on, Albus.... "Ready." ...? D:

Old August 29th, 2011, 1:47 am
First Year

Movies 1 and 2: Shorten them.
Movie 3: More Marauders. Otherwise, this movie is perfection!
Movie 4: Add Winky and Dobby as well as Hermione's S.P.E.W. Reveal Rita being an Animagus
Movie 5: Add Harry and Cho's date, Harry's interview with Rita, a longer Department of Mysteries battle, as in showing the Time, Thought, and Planet chambers.
Movie 6: Add the House of Gaunt scene, Albus's funeral.
Movie 7 and 8: Pretty good adaption-wise, no complaints there.

I also hate how they handled Harry's character in the last few films. They mostly focused on his angsty, rebellious, and humorous sides to his personality, neglecting to show his softer and compassionate sides, as if those sides were the only things in his personality. It really evident in the last scene in Movie 8 where he snaps the Elder Wand in half and throws it over the bridge, It's like he shows disrespect to the wand's previous owner, Albus.

Old August 29th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatronusLight95 View Post
It really evident in the last scene in Movie 8 where he snaps the Elder Wand in half and throws it over the bridge, It's like he shows disrespect to the wand's previous owner, Albus.
The alternative is that someone else will get their hands on it, which Dumbledore never wanted. Snapping the wand in half is a heroic act and shows that he doesn't seek power.

Old August 29th, 2011, 4:42 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieechan View Post
.... a lot of Ginny's lines were taken down, and HBP made the relationship awkward...mostly because Ginny's character wasn't as funny and witty as in the books - which is why Harry was even attracted to her in the first place...
What was funny or witty about Ginny in the books?

The author's main emphasis on Harry's attraction to Ginny - if memory serves - is her good looks.

Old August 29th, 2011, 5:17 pm
Second Year

I'd make the movies under 2 hours 20 longer, I'0d make each movie last between 2h 30 and 2h 40, in that time there would really be so much you could put in, especially, very especially in DH2 where many things are rushed.

I'd change not all but more or less 70-80% of non-canon things included in the films. Somethings I admit are done because the film is different from the book, and I have generally no probs with changing some sets, but for sure I'd change,add or take away things like:
-Harry snapping elder wand
-Cos and GoF ending: R-E-M-O-V-E
-No dursleys in many films, in particular HBP
-More quidditch
-More serious romance and less "raging hormones" even if I'd keep some because it made HBP very nice and enjoyable
-More voldemort background
-DH-Horcrux battle
-DD backstory
-More Sirius, Ron, Snape, McGonagoll, malfoy, Ginny and twins and very less non canon characters or lines
-Marauders backstory
-Add many, many CANON episodes in GoF: All the crouch story especially
-Longer snape worst memory and prince's tale
-No grawp since it really has nothing to do with the story, put pix instead such a great character which can make humor

the list could get little longer but I think this are the main things.

"It is our choices, Harry, that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Draco Dormiens Numquam Tintillandus

"J.K. Rowling's Imagination should be ensured to the Loyds in London for two or three billion dollars"
-Stephen King-

I know JKR denied it, but unless she gives me proof with a Deathly Hallows Sequel, in my head Harry and Ron are going to go back to hogwarts for their last year!
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:41 pm
First Year

Keep the final showdown between Harry and Voldemort in DHP2 as it was in the book. I do understand that the way they did it was probably more suited for film than the in-book version, however the latter really packed a strong emotional punch with me which I feel the portrayal they went with lacked.

The main problem I have with things left out of certain films is how it affects the inter-film continuity. For example, Dobby being introduced in CoS and then only appearing again basically for the sake of his fan-service death scene (which I did love). It's always felt to me that each film has been treated as simply an adaptation of that particular book, much like basically a 'highlights show' of the book in question rather than part of a continuing series. This makes it difficult for me to view the films as it's own separate 'series' from the books when continuity and consistency between them is lacking in some ways.

Old August 29th, 2011, 11:44 pm
First Year

DH2 - I wish that this movie had been longer and included more from the book.

I would like to have seen Harry winning Kreacher's loyalty. They should have evacuated the younger students like they did in the book instead of keeping everyone and shoving the Slytherins off to the basement. Fred's death would have been an intense moment. I wish that the movie had included more of the battle between Bellatrix and Molly. That wasn't as satisfying as it could've been. The final battle between Harry and Voldemort should have been in front of everyone and just a tad closer to the book.

I'd like to have seen the moment after the battle with Harry, Ron and Hermione in the Headmaster's Office, including Harry repairing his holly wand. I'd also like to have seen more of the epilogue, with all of Ron's remarks as they were in the book.

Sorted into RAVENCLAW on CoS by only one vote over SLYTHERIN.

Found the Magical Quill on 8/3/11
Pottermore welcome email on 9/23/11
Username: AccioFlight
House: Slytherin
Wand: Aspen, Phoenix feather, 12 1/4 inches, Slightly Springy
Old August 31st, 2011, 6:36 am
Second Year

Well to start off, I would keep Hogwarts the same in every movie - using the one in Deathly Hallows Part 2, I think that's the best Hogwarts. I'd also choose different actresses for Ginny, Cho and Narcissa. I'd probably cast Hermione Norris as Narcissa. And I'd call Nigel Dennis Creevey instead. Also I'd completely cut Lupin and Tonk's relationship and Teddy.

Philosopher's Stone/Chamber of Secrets - make them shorter, more visually appealing/stunning, less cheesy and more scary.

Prisoner of Azkaban - Have Lupin explain the Marauders backstory and the significance of Harry's patronus at the end. Make Lupin's werewolf form something similar to the werewolf in Doctor Who or Van Helsing, have the dementors from Order of the Phoenix onwards and generally make the special effects more real (I think they looked really cheap in this film). And not put in an annoying high-pitched wail every time someone moves their wand!

Goblet of Fire - Make it longer, include the Rita Skeeter/Hagrid being a half-giant sub-plot, make the graveyard scene longer, keep the priori incantatem explanation and the scene with Fudge at the end as well as Harry giving Fred and George his Triwizard winnings. And maybe include Bertha Jorkins as well.

Order of the Phoenix - again, make it longer, swap Mrs Figg with Lupin or Arthur (with the excuse that the last patrol was late). Have a love triangle between Ginny/Harry/Cho (for example, make Cho willingly betray the DA, she and Harry have an argument and Ginny consoles him), have a scene where Neville, Ginny and Luna distract Umbridge (while Harry, Ron and Hermione try to get to London through her fireplace) but get caught. Cut out Grawp, make Umbridge confess she sent the dementors either in her office or the forest. Have a longer battle scene between the DA and Death eaters (similar to how it was in the book) and then the Order and Death Eaters too. And last but not least, make Harry see Snape's worst memory in the pensieve in Snape's office, have him see James bully Snape and Snape calling Lily a mudblood and before the film ends (after the scene with Luna), have a scene where Lupin consoles Harry about Sirius's death, James and Lily's relationship and how James and Sirius supported him when they found out he was a werewolf.

Half-Blood Prince - Include both scenes with the Gaunts, have Dumbledore theory that Voldemort used artefacts belonging to Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. Cut out the scene with the waitress and include the Dursleys instead. Introduce Bill at the burrow and explain to Harry that he and Fleur met at Gringotts a couple of years ago and are getting married, then have Bill mauled by Greyback during the attack of the burrow scene. Also, I'd make references to the prophecy, definitely keep the "In Noctem" scene in the film, have Ron join Harry and Hermione on the tower (and have some of Hermione's lines) and maybe include Dumbledore's funeral as well.

Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Harry finds the piece of the mirror shard at Grimmauld Place
(he goes into Sirius's room, steps on the shard, picks it up and looks up sees the shadow of a mirror on the wall, then looks down again to see Aberforth's eye in the shard). Also I would make the Malfoy Manor scene less comedic and more intense (with Bellatrix actually kicking Hermione, Ron screaming and cutting Luna and Dobby's stupid lines).

Deathly Hallows Part 2 - As with Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix, make it longer. Have a scene at the beginning with Ron and Hermione discussing her torture (with her showing him Bellatrix's hair). Have a scene where Harry discusses Dumbledore's past, secrets and whether he cared for Harry with Ron and Hermione and says that he has the cloak, Voldemort has the elder wand and he doesn't know or care where the stone is. Have Aberforth explain Dumbledore's past accompanied by a flashback, then have Dumbledore explaining his reasons and guilt and asking Harry for forgiveness during King's cross. Have a longer fight during both battles of Hogwarts (showing Dumbledore's army against Snatchers after the covered bridge collapsed, and show Mcgonagall against a giant during the first half and have Neville and Luna get cornered by Death Eaters and saved by Hagrid during the second half). Include Fred's death (only exclude Percy and just let him be with George), include Snape and Lily's argument in the prince's tale, have Bellatrix die like she did in the book, and have a longer fight between Harry and Voldemort - for example Voldemort could chase Harry in smoke form (like in the video game) after their confortation on the stairs, they come to an isolated corridor where Voldemort taunts Harry and Harry retaliates by revealing Snape's true loyalties - I'd also keep the "Why do you live?" scene. Oh and I'd totally cut out Voldemort's awful laugh and hug during Neville's speech and I'd make Harry mend his own wand before snapping the elder wand in half.

Last edited by StaceysChain; August 31st, 2011 at 6:45 am.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:00 am
First Year

not alot, i love all the films, i do have a few minor issues but the one thing i would do would be to give bonnie wright better stage direction, i think she looks the part but when ever shes in a scene she seems to wooden for me and i blame the director not enough direction, she kinda spoils the scene i think Whenever shes in it

Old September 3rd, 2011, 4:40 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think I'd abandon the attitude of 'movie audiences have the attention span of a goldfish and after 3 lines of dialogue start playing with their I-phones' and add some essential exposition. Particularly with regard to the Marauders' Map, the horcruxes, the hallows and Dumbledore's back story.

I'd also have made Ginny much livelier from OotP onwards, and added a lot more passion or enthusiasm to their 'romance' scenes. They all seemed very flat. And I'd cut the unneccessary additional scenes like the Burrow burning and the waitress at the station and put back some of the helpful or fun scenes like the Pensieve memories and Albus collecting Harry from the Dursleys.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old December 11th, 2011, 8:04 pm
Seventh Year

I don't think I could really add anything. One thing that's mentioned is the addition of Peeves. It would have added so much comic relief. I see that Columbus cut him out after filming scenes with this guy, Rik Mayall, didn't go so well. Were they that bad? Anyway, since CC did that, it forced the other directors into not including the character as well. Hindsight's 20/20, but I think Robert Carlyle despite his well-documented disdain for the series would have made a great Peeves. Of course that's from seeing his masterful work as Rumplestiltskin in Once Upon a Time. lol

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies