Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > Quidditch Pitch

FORT Sorting Quiz v2.0



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old August 31st, 2011, 8:33 pm
BrianTung's Avatar
BrianTung  Male.gif BrianTung is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2364 days
Location: California
Age: 50
Posts: 678
FORT Sorting Quiz v2.0

FORT Sorting Quiz v2.0

Thanks again for everyone's feedback on the Quiz; it's been both informative and interesting to read! v2.0 of the FORT SQ incorporates just a few changes. More may be on the way, but they'll likely be internal. I'd like to settle on the questions pretty soon.

Instructions: Each of the following questions offers you a choice of two answers. To the best of your ability, choose exactly one of the two choices. For some of the questions, you may want to answer "It depends," or "One leads to the other," or "It's a mixture of the two." Try to resist this as much as possible. Feel free to elaborate on your answers, as I think we'll all find that interesting; however, the Quiz is scored essentially mechanically. I'll respond when I can with your Sorting.
  1. What has had greater influence on who you are today, your genes or your life circumstances?
  2. What is more important to the success of a team--clear and decisive leadership, or everyone being dedicated to the cause?
  3. Suppose you made a wonderful discovery. Which part would you enjoy more--making the discovery, or sharing it with the world?
  4. What is the gravest problem facing us today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?
  5. What do you believe has greater impact, great ideas or great acts?
  6. What is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or avoiding future disputes?
  7. You and your friends have to defeat a dragon (just say!). If you had your choice, would you help construct the plan of attack, or put it into action?

(Optional) Which house do you see yourself belonging to? How have you been Sorted in the past (e.g., on Pottermore, by earlier versions of this Quiz, by CoS, or any other on-line Quiz)? This question has no impact on your Sorting.

A Few Comments

Fans of the FORT SQ will recall that its name stands for Factored Opposition Round Table Sorting Quiz, first of all because that's how the scoring system is derived (questions about oppositions arranged around a sort of compass rose), but also because I like acronyms. Ten points to those who realize why I particularly like this name.

This Quiz is composed of seven questions, because seven is kind of a special number in the HP mythology, and because Pottermore's Sorting Hat also uses seven questions, and I wanted to see if I could capture what I think of the houses in the same space. The questions in this Quiz are designed specifically to avoid the stereotypical qualities of the houses (for instance, that Slytherins are sneaky, Gryffindors are brave, Ravenclaws are smart, and Hufflepuffs are...well, they're none of the above, I suppose is the idea). For one thing, I think those stereotypes are inaccurate, and for another, I don't think anyone would answer such questions reasonably. My guess is that Rowling's Quiz operates on the same premise.

I hasten to emphasize, nonetheless, that this Quiz represents only what I personally think of the houses, and may very well not accord with what either you or Rowling think of them. Comments to the effect that I must be crazy and/or stupid because my Quiz sorted you as Ravenclaw and you are anything but will be cheerfully placed in the circular file, piped to /dev/null, floated into Outer Tumbolia. (Ignored.) Constructive comments, on the other hand, will be carefully considered.

Disclaimers: All rights reserved. For entertainment purposes only. Author is not to be held responsible for any damage to self-image that may result from consumption of this product. Do not take product while driving or operating heavy machinery. This product--like hamburgers, pain relievers, comic books, and indeed practically anything worthwhile in the known universe--contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Contents are sold by weight, not volume, and may have settled during shipping and handling. Professional driver, closed course. This product has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball. Attempts to reverse-engineer the FORT Sorting Quiz scoring table will likely be found entertaining but will not lead to fame, fortune, or any combination thereof.

Previous Versions

FORT SQ v0.5:    


  
OK, here's my first attempt at a Sorting Quiz. (I hope this is OK to try here.) This started from the Pottermore thread, and represents my thoughts about some (certainly not all) fundamental aspects of the various houses. Some of you who have read my posts in the Pottermore thread will already know my interpretations of a couple of these questions, but hopefully, the rest will be new to you. I'd like to playtest the Quiz, so as to see how consistent the answers are, internally.

The quiz consists of seven questions, each with two answers. In many cases, you may find that both answers accord with you to some extent; if so, please make every effort to choose exactly one of them. Of the seven questions, one of them is a tie-breaker of sorts, but I'm not revealing which one it is. That would be telling.

If you like, you can add which house you feel you belong to, either by self-identification or by quiz.

Sorting Quiz v 0.5
  1. Hey stop! Why are you taking this version of the Quiz--didn't you read the message up at the top?!
  2. What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your upbringing?
  3. You have a free evening at home. Would you rather spend it in conversation with a few friends, or on your own with music and a nice hot cocoa?
  4. Which would you enjoy more--making a great discovery, or sharing that discovery with others?
  5. What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?
  6. What do you think is a better measure of a person--what they do, or what they believe
  7. What do you think is more important in settling disputes--who did what to whom, or what will happen to the two sides?
  8. Are you ruled more by your heart, or by your head?
  



FORT SQ v0.6:    


  
Thanks to the folks who tested it by Owl, I now introduce...

Sorting Quiz v 0.6

The revised questions are in bold.
  1. Hey! Don't take this version, take v1!
  2. What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your upbringing?
  3. Would you rather be with a group of friends, even if that meant doing what the group wanted, or do what you love, even if that meant being on your own?
  4. Which would you enjoy more--making a great discovery, or sharing that discovery with others?
  5. What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?
  6. Do you define yourself by what you do, or how you view the world?
  7. What do you think is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or preventing future disputes?
  8. Are you ruled more by your heart, or by your head?

Before I score the quiz, please let me know if the revised wording would have led you to change your answers.
  



FORT SQ v0.7:    


  
Thanks for all your comments. I now bring you...

Sorting Hat v 0.7

The revised questions are in bold.
  1. Hey, v1 is now available! Go take that one!
  2. What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your life experiences?
  3. Do you prefer company (even just one other person) or solitude?
  4. Suppose you made a great discovery. Which part would you enjoy more, making the discovery, or sharing it with the world?
  5. What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?
  6. What do you believe has greater impact on the world--great ideas, or great acts?
  7. What do you think is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or preventing future disputes?
  8. If you have to defeat a dragon (just say!), would you prefer to act now, to gain the element of surprise, or to plan carefully, to prepare for the unexpected?

I may change some of the questions back to the earlier form, but in the case of Q2, I've decided directness is the best policy.
  



FORT SQ v0.8:    


  
Having read your explanations to your answers, I now bring you...

Sorting Quiz v0.8

The revised questions are in bold. Other changes: Name is back to Quiz, not Hat. More significantly, the scoring table has changed.
  1. Most important for the Sorting: Did you know that v1 is now available? Go take that one!
  2. What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your life circumstances?
  3. Do you prefer the company of friends, or solitude?
  4. Suppose you made a great discovery. Which part would you enjoy more, making the discovery, or sharing it with the world?
  5. What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?
  6. What do you believe has greater impact on the world--great ideas, or great acts?
  7. What do you think is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or avoiding future disputes?
  8. If you have to defeat a dragon (just say!), would you prefer to act now, to gain the element of surprise, or to plan carefully, to prepare for the unexpected?
  



FORT SQ v1.0:    


  
FORT Sorting Quiz v1

Instructions: Each of the following questions offers you a choice of two answers. To the best of your ability, choose exactly one of the two choices. For some of the questions, you may want to answer "It depends," or "It's a mixture of the two." Try to resist this as much as possible. Feel free to elaborate on your answers, as I think we'll all find that interesting; however, the Quiz is scored essentially mechanically. I'll respond when I can with your Sorting.

Eventually, I'll probably put up a Javascript doohickey so that no one has to wait to be Sorted; when and if that happens, I'll put a link to it here.

Note to those who took v0.8 of this Quiz: There are only subtle wording differences, so that the Quiz reads less repetitively. There should be no substantive change to your Sorting.
  1. What do you think has had greater influence on who you are today--your genes, or your life circumstances?
  2. Do you prefer the company of friends, or solitude?
  3. Suppose you made a wonderful discovery. Which part would you enjoy more, making the discovery, or sharing it with the world?
  4. What do you think is the gravest problem facing us today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?
  5. What do you believe has greater impact--great ideas, or great acts?
  6. What do you think is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or avoiding future disputes?
  7. If you have to defeat a dragon (just say!), would you prefer to act now, to gain the element of surprise, or to plan carefully, to prepare for the unexpected?

(Optional) Which house do you see yourself belonging to? How have you been Sorted in the past (e.g., on Pottermore, by CoS, or any other on-line Quiz)? This question has no impact on your Sorting.

A Few Comments

OK, I think I'm just about done with this, for a good while, at least. Thanks to everyone who helped me shape this thing. I've renamed it the Factored Opposition Round Table Sorting Quiz, first of all because that's how the scoring system is derived (questions about oppositions arranged around a sort of compass rose), but also because I like acronyms, and I now get to call this the FORT Sorting Quiz. Ten points to the first person who realizes why I particularly like this name.

This Quiz is composed of seven questions, because seven is kind of a special number in the HP mythology, and because Pottermore's Sorting Hat also uses seven questions, and I wanted to see if I could capture what I think of the houses in the same space. The questions in this Quiz are designed specifically to avoid the stereotypical qualities of the houses (for instance, that Slytherins are sneaky, Gryffindors are brave, Ravenclaws are smart, and Hufflepuffs are...well, they're none of the above, I suppose is the idea). For one thing, I think those stereotypes are inaccurate, and for another, I don't think anyone would answer such questions reasonably. My guess is that Rowling's Quiz operates on the same premise.

I hasten to emphasize, nonetheless, that this Quiz represents only what I personally think of the houses, and may very well not accord with what either you or Rowling think of them. Comments to the effect that I must be crazy and/or stupid because my Quiz sorted you as Ravenclaw and you are anything but will be cheerfully placed in the circular file, piped to /dev/null, floated into Outer Tumbolia. (Ignored.) Constructive comments, on the other hand, will be carefully considered.

Disclaimers: For entertainment purposes only. Author is not to be held responsible for any damage to self-image that may result from consumption of this product. Do not take product while driving or operating heavy machinery. Contents are sold by weight, not volume, and may settle during shipping and handling. Professional driver, closed course. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball. Attempts to reverse-engineer the FORT Sorting Quiz scoring table will likely be found entertaining but will not lead to fame, fortune, or any combination thereof.
  



__________________
If you've got a moment, why not try out the FORT Sorting Quiz? Now in New and Improved v2.0!

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat

Last edited by BrianTung; August 1st, 2012 at 7:49 am. Reason: emphasizing importance of selecting exactly one of the two choices
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old September 1st, 2011, 3:40 am
hpfan101's Avatar
hpfan101  Female.gif hpfan101 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4295 days
Location: RoR Retrieving the HBP's book
Posts: 911
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
Sorting Quiz v 0.5
  1. What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your upbringing?
  2. You have a free evening at home. Would you rather spend it in conversation with a few friends, or on your own with music and a nice hot cocoa?
  3. Which would you enjoy more--making a great discovery, or sharing that discovery with others?
  4. What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?
  5. What do you think is a better measure of a person--what they do, or what they believe
  6. What do you think is more important in settling disputes--who did what to whom, or what will happen to the two sides?
  7. Are you ruled more by your heart, or by your head?
Alright BrianT, I am going to be the first to answer your quiz. I always read your posts with interest over on the Pottermore thread and I just read the post about you creating this. I was going to OWL you to ask you for this, but you created a thread! Hopefully you haven't read too many of my "self-evaluation" posts on Pottermore, so tell me how I do:

Q1: My upbringing
Q2: Spend it by myself (I don't really enjoy music or cocoa, but I'll still choose that option )
Q3: Making a great discovery
Q4: What we are doing to the earth
Q5: What they do
Q6: Who did what to whom
Q7: I'm going to say I initially react with my heart but have learned to curb that impulse and act with my head...so make of that what you will

I'm interested to see what you have to say and then I have some comments about both how the questions are worded and why I answered the way I did. Maybe that will help in your analysis to see if it's working the way you want


__________________


Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
Yeah, that's about right!
HawthornAsphodel133
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 1st, 2011, 4:34 am
BrianTung's Avatar
BrianTung  Male.gif BrianTung is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2364 days
Location: California
Age: 50
Posts: 678
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.6

FORT SQ v0.6 removed--see lead post for archive


__________________
If you've got a moment, why not try out the FORT Sorting Quiz? Now in New and Improved v2.0!

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat

Last edited by BrianTung; October 12th, 2011 at 11:46 pm. Reason: FORT SQ v2.0 now available
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old September 1st, 2011, 6:11 am
SadiraSnape  Female.gif SadiraSnape is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 2508 days
Location: happily doing Sir's laundry
Age: 60
Posts: 718
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

1. neither -- it's my experiences that have made me who I am today

2. on my own

3. making a great discovery

4. what we are doing to the earth

5. how I view the world

6. preventing future disputes

7. my head

I changed the answers to 5 and 6 after you rewrote them.

I also think that 1 should include a third option -- once you're past a certain age, neither your genes nor your upbringing really impact "who you are today". Your life experiences do. Which is why I answered the way I did.

I'm interested to see how you sort me.


__________________

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding


Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 1st, 2011, 6:40 am
BrianTung's Avatar
BrianTung  Male.gif BrianTung is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2364 days
Location: California
Age: 50
Posts: 678
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiraSnape View Post
1. neither -- it's my experiences that have made me who I am today

2. on my own

3. making a great discovery

4. what we are doing to the earth

5. how I view the world

6. preventing future disputes

7. my head

I changed the answers to 5 and 6 after you rewrote them.

I also think that 1 should include a third option -- once you're past a certain age, neither your genes nor your upbringing really impact "who you are today". Your life experiences do. Which is why I answered the way I did.

I'm interested to see how you sort me.
I'm guessing you self-identify as Slytherin, based on your sig.

Well--and keep in mind that this is still under construction!--this Quiz sorts you as a hard Ravenclaw...in fact, about as hard a Ravenclaw as one can be under the current Quiz organization. You're secondarily a Slytherin, to be sure, with minor Hufflepuff bits, and absolutely no Gryffindor. So, a mixed bag in terms of how well it reflects your own self-perception, but a home run in terms of internal self-consistency.

Thanks for your feedback on Question 1; I will consider how to reword it to better represent what I'm asking. (Based on what you say, though, I think it would fall on the "upbringing" side of the equation, even though, as you point out, it isn't exactly upbringing.)


__________________
If you've got a moment, why not try out the FORT Sorting Quiz? Now in New and Improved v2.0!

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 1st, 2011, 8:41 am
Ravleen  Female.gif Ravleen is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2286 days
Age: 25
Posts: 3
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your upbringing?

Probably a combination of both. The way my "innate" personality and self interacted with my upbringing shaped who I am. But if I were to choose one - my upbringing.

Would you rather be with a group of friends, even if that meant doing what the group wanted, or do what you love, even if that meant being on your own?

It really depends on the situation and the people. Sometimes, I'm in a mood for socializing and would rather be with a group of friends, but then again, I need some alone time just focused on something I love. It's a balance. I guess being with really good friends or family would outweigh being alone, but if it were just random, casual friends, I choose alone time. If I have to choose one, I choose the alone time option.

Which would you enjoy more--making a great discovery, or sharing that discovery with others?

Probably sharing the discovery with others, because it would allow me to experience that feeling over and over again.

What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?

What we are doing to each other. What we are doing to the Earth is a dire problem, too, but the Earth is stronger than us. It will rise up again and renew itself. But we can easily self-destruct.

Do you define yourself by what you do, or how you view the world?

Definitely by how I view the world. My inner world is who I am -my actions often are haphazard or unfocused.

What do you think is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or preventing future disputes?

Righting a wrong is my natural inclination.

Are you ruled more by your heart, or by your head?

Hmm, I don't know. I'm in the middle. I really am. It depends on the situation. I know I should choose one. Internally by my heart, externally by my head?


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:00 am
Augree  Female.gif Augree is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2245 days
Location: Indo
Posts: 0
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

Well... my answers is :
Q1 : who i am today
Q2 : Of course i'd rather do what i love even if that meant being on my own
Q3 : making a great discovery
Q4 : what we are doing to the Earth
Q5 : by what I do
Q6 : settling disputes--righting a wrong
Q7 : by my heart even a little bit by my head

Ok i can't wait where you'll put me into...
See you...


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:35 am
Arya_  Undisclosed.gif Arya_ is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2298 days
Posts: 77
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.6

  1. upbringing
  2. what you love, even if that meant being on your own?
  3. sharing that discovery with others
  4. what we are doing to the Earth
  5. Do you define yourself by what you do.
  6. preventing future disputes.
  7. by your head.

Before I score the quiz, please let me know if the revised wording would have led you to change your answers.[/quote]


__________________

Check it out.
Pottermore: QueenJinx40, Slytherin, wand: Hawthorn and unicorn hair, 11 and 3/4 inches, surprisingly swishy
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old September 1st, 2011, 1:38 pm
Miss_Gaunt's Avatar
Miss_Gaunt  Female.gif Miss_Gaunt is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4447 days
Location: The Emerald Isle
Posts: 465
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.6

What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your upbringing?
My upbringing, definitely.

Would you rather be with a group of friends, even if that meant doing what the group wanted, or do what you love, even if that meant being on your own?
Doing something I loved. I'd rather be on my own than do something I really don't want to do.

Which would you enjoy more--making a great discovery, or sharing that discovery with others?
Making a great discovery.

What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?
What we are doing to each other, because that sort of includes what we are doing to the Earth as well .

Do you define yourself by what you do, or how you view the world?
What I do. How I view things changes a lot but my actions mostly remain constant.

What do you think is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or preventing future disputes?
EDIT2: I originally went with righting a wrong but I would like to change my answer to this and go with preventing a dispute, if that's ok? Part of preventing disputes from re-occurring is to look at the cause and to address that accordingly. I think this is more of a win-win situation because it can lead to the wrong being righted even if that wasn't the original intention and at least there will be a procedure or something put in place to deal with any other grievances that arise so another dispute doesn't arise.

Are you ruled more by your heart, or by your head?
My head. I will listen to my heart/gut/whatever but my head will always have the final say.

EDIT: Overall, I don't think the rewrite caused me to change any of my answers but I probably would have considered the alternative for #2 a bit more.



Last edited by Miss_Gaunt; September 1st, 2011 at 5:13 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old September 1st, 2011, 1:47 pm
MerryLore's Avatar
MerryLore  Female.gif MerryLore is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 2327 days
Location: catagorizing Sev's books
Posts: 1,627
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

1. What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your upbringing?
My upbringing.

2. Would you rather be with a group of friends, even if that meant doing what the group wanted, or do what you love, even if that meant being on your own?
I'd rather be alone, doing what I love

3. Which would you enjoy more--making a great discovery, or sharing that discovery with others?
Sharing the discovery

4. What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?
What we're doing to each other.

5. Do you define yourself by what you do, or how you view the world?
How I view the world

6. What do you think is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or preventing future disputes?
Preventing future disputes

7. Are you ruled more by your heart, or by your head?
My heart

After the re-write, I changed my answers on 5 and 6.


__________________
avatar by me and WB, banner by Dark_Disciple

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown

Last edited by MerryLore; September 1st, 2011 at 1:50 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old September 1st, 2011, 1:59 pm
horcrux4's Avatar
horcrux4  Female.gif horcrux4 is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4347 days
Location: Sheffield UK
Age: 72
Posts: 2,167
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.6

  1. What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your upbringing?

    I agree with Sadira Snape that by my age experiences have a lot to do with who I am, but if you're forcing me to choose I'll vote for nature over nurture although it's a close-run thing.

  2. Would you rather be with a group of friends, even if that meant doing what the group wanted, or do what you love, even if that meant being on your own?

    Do what I love - I have no problems with being on my own.
  3. Which would you enjoy more--making a great discovery, or sharing that discovery with others?

    Making a great discovery.

  4. What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?

    I don't think there's much to choose! I'll go with what we are doing to each other. I'm more concerned with people than the planet but I'm quite concerned with some of the effects we are having on ecology.
  5. Do you define yourself by what you do, or how you view the world?

    Probably what I do. It's certainly how I define others.
  6. What do you think is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or preventing future disputes?

    Preventing future disputes I think, although it would depend on the severity of the wrong.

  7. Are you ruled more by your heart, or by your head?

    I think my head in the long run. Certainly as I've got older.

Before I score the quiz, please let me know if the revised wording would have led you to change your answers.

Not really!

I get put in different houses in different quizzes so I'm quite interested to see how you sort me. I've never been put in Slytherin though and I think that's right as there's little ambition in me.


__________________
Meet Mickey, my new kitten!
Quote:
"From this time forth we shall be leaving the firm foundation of fact and journeying together through the murky marshes of memory into thickets of wildest guesswork."
Albus Dumbledore, HBP

Last edited by horcrux4; September 1st, 2011 at 2:02 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 1st, 2011, 2:58 pm
SadiraSnape  Female.gif SadiraSnape is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 2508 days
Location: happily doing Sir's laundry
Age: 60
Posts: 718
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
I'm guessing you self-identify as Slytherin, based on your sig.
Actually, I was sorted here as Slytherin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
Well--and keep in mind that this is still under construction!--this Quiz sorts you as a hard Ravenclaw...in fact, about as hard a Ravenclaw as one can be under the current Quiz organization. You're secondarily a Slytherin, to be sure, with minor Hufflepuff bits, and absolutely no Gryffindor. So, a mixed bag in terms of how well it reflects your own self-perception, but a home run in terms of internal self-consistency.
Interesting. Every quiz I've taken sorts me as Slytherin, with strong leanings towards Ravenclaw... I guess in reality I'm a Slytherclaw. I always score INTJ on the Meyer-Briggs tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
Thanks for your feedback on Question 1; I will consider how to reword it to better represent what I'm asking. (Based on what you say, though, I think it would fall on the "upbringing" side of the equation, even though, as you point out, it isn't exactly upbringing.)
Yeah, I think once you're past a certain age, or have accrued a certain level of life experience, you change yourself based on that and your upbringing (i.e. the influence of your parents' ideologies) counts less and less into your concept of self.


__________________

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding


Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old September 1st, 2011, 3:45 pm
GrimeldaDursley  Female.gif GrimeldaDursley is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2426 days
Age: 59
Posts: 260
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
Thanks to the folks who tested it by Owl, I now introduce...

Sorting Quiz v 0.6

The revised questions are in bold.
  1. What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your upbringing?
  2. Would you rather be with a group of friends, even if that meant doing what the group wanted, or do what you love, even if that meant being on your own?
  3. Which would you enjoy more--making a great discovery, or sharing that discovery with others?
  4. What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?
  5. Do you define yourself by what you do, or how you view the world?
  6. What do you think is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or preventing future disputes?
  7. Are you ruled more by your heart, or by your head?

Before I score the quiz, please let me know if the revised wording would have led you to change your answers.
1. Genes. All the upbringing in the world cannot change your true nature.
2. I'd rather do what I love doing, even if it's alone sometimes.
3. Sharing it , because I want to get credit for it, unless it is something I could keep up my sleeve, so to speak, and use to my own advantage.
4. What we do to each other.
5. How I view the world, which appears to go hand in hand with how I react to things.
6. You have to get to the reason for the dispute, and then if anybody has been wronged, you need to find a way to fix it, and definitely work on ways to prevent it from happening again.
7. My head, at first I was going to say "heart", but the heart can be wrong sometimes.

I can't say the wording really affected anything, as I didn't read the other version that thoroughly. I agree with Horcrux4 and Sadira, that your age can determine a lot especially on question one. A lot of these questions can be answered with a little of both options, you know, as in one answer can actually tie in with the other.


__________________
"Magic is everywhere, open not only your eyes, you must also open your heart and just look, it's there, it's been there all along!"--me

I'm a Hufflepuff in a Slytherin World!


snape lives imho

Last edited by GrimeldaDursley; September 1st, 2011 at 4:15 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old September 1st, 2011, 5:44 pm
Kitsunefire  Female.gif Kitsunefire is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2270 days
Posts: 17
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

1. What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your upbringing?
Upbringing.

2. Would you rather be with a group of friends, even if that meant doing what the group wanted, or do what you love, even if that meant being on your own?
I would choose Do what I wanted, even if it meant doing it on my own.
3. Which would you enjoy more--making a great discovery, or sharing that discovery with others?
Making a great discovery.
4. What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?
What we are doing to eachother
5. Do you define yourself by what you do, or how you view the world?
How I view the world
6. What do you think is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or preventing future disputes?
Preventing future disputes
7. Are you ruled more by your heart, or by your head?
when it comes down to it, I would love to say head, but being honest with myself, it would be my heart.


That was actually pretty tough. Great questions! Also, please ignore my signature and sort me where you think I should go.

Thanks!


__________________
Proud to be sorted: In CoS AND Pottermore
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old September 1st, 2011, 6:10 pm
Always_Snape  Female.gif Always_Snape is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2274 days
Location: With Severus Snape; Always
Posts: 13
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your upbringing?
My upbringing. Yes there are certain genes that come into effect, but it is how you are raised that affects how you are the most. (Malfoy for example)

Would you rather be with a group of friends, even if that meant doing what the group wanted, or do what you love, even if that meant being on your own?
I'd rather be by myself because I don't necessarily need people to be around me. I don't trust very many, trusting many people and then getting stabbed in the back will only put more stress on me, and I'm already too bogged down by what I'm trying to achieve for my future to deal with those immature problems. Even if I'm not doing what I like to do, I'd rather do it alone.

Which would you enjoy more--making a great discovery, or sharing that discovery with others?
I don't think I would be making a lot of discoveries. I'd be off doing my own thing, because I need to live my life. If I happen to make a discovery well then hurray. But if I have to choose I would probably share it so I could get credit because if I did all the work I would want people to know that I did and ME alone.And getting to tell people over and over could be tedious, but I'll get the feeling of accomplishment because I did it and no one else.

What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?
Both are big problems, but what we are doing to each other is inevitable, and only so many people will join the cause to help save the earth considering it takes away luxuries that many enjoy. I don't think either one trumps the other, because both are very arguable subjects that I try not to dwell in them because there are bigger problems that need my attention.

Do you define yourself by what you do, or how you view the world?
A little of both. What I do is determined by how I view the world.

What do you think is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or preventing future disputes?
Righting a wrong. It's hard not to have future disputes because there will always be a little twinge that you still think you are right or the other person is wrong etc. By righting it you can deal with the problem at hand, and life can go on and people can get back to what they were doing.

Are you ruled more by your heart, or by your head?
I am definitely ruled by my head. I don't open my heart up to much so I don't show weakness with emotions, I use my head a lot more because things are logical, not lovey and gooey which is by far harder to understand. Hearts aren't always the best thing to listen to, they will disrupt your path to what you are trying to achieve because you will be viewing your end through emotional glasses changing your view on how it should be achieved. If I looked at my college plans through my heart, things might change, but when I look at it logically everything is in order and I know what I want and how I'm going to get it.


__________________

"When I'm 80 years old, I'm going to be sitting in my rocking chair reading Harry Potter. And my family is going to ask me "After all this time?" and I'm going to say "Always" ". -Alan Rickman
Proudly Sorted COS: SLYTHERIN!, Pottermore decided: SLYTHERIN!
Pottermore: MarauderPotion152
Wand: Ebony
Dragon Heartstring
12 3/4 in Unbending

Last edited by Always_Snape; September 1st, 2011 at 6:56 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old September 1st, 2011, 6:43 pm
BrianTung's Avatar
BrianTung  Male.gif BrianTung is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 2364 days
Location: California
Age: 50
Posts: 678
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

Thanks for all your responses. I must say, it's a bit intimidating going through this exercise, because I think the results may be a bit against your intuition. And that's OK--the Quiz is still being revised. And I'll have a few words to say about how the Quiz is constructed, which is a partial rehash of what I've said in the Pottermore thread, but with some new information.

Ravleen: Slytherin
Augree: Hufflepuff with some Gryffindor
Arya_: Ravenclaw (Q1 was not answered)
Miss_Gaunt: Ravenclaw with some Hufflepuff
MerryLore: Ravenclaw
horcrux4: Ravenclaw
GrimeldaDursley: Slytherin
Kitsunefire: Ravenclaw with some Hufflepuff
Always_Snape: Ravenclaw with some Slytherin (Q3 was not answered)
EDIT: Always_Snape now Sorts as Slytherin with some Ravenclaw, after answering Q3.

OK, once you have your jaws back up , here's the basis on which this quiz is sorted. Think of the houses as being placed on a compass rose, with Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Gryffindor occuping north, east, south, and west, respectively. (The exact order doesn't matter, but Slytherin does oppose Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw opposes Gryffindor.) That doesn't mean that a person can't be part Hufflepuff and part Slytherin--only that the individual qualities that the questions test for have answers that oppose each other in the same way.

So, for instance, the first question (as some of you probably guessed) is essentially a nature versus nurture question. The nature answer scores Slytherin with some Gryffindor, whereas the nurture answer scores Hufflepuff with some Ravenclaw. The rest of the answers also score the same kind of way, with some answers being more one house than another, and others being equal mixes of two houses.

The scoring mixes are distributed in such a way that if the qualities are evenly spread out amongst a group of people, then the people should be evenly Sorted into houses as well. Thus far, that has not happened. Partly, I think it's because the beta-testers of this Quiz are not evenly distributed, but I think the question wording is also partly to blame. I'm looking at you, Question 2. From reading your detailed answers (thanks very much for those of you who took the time to explain your answers), I get the impression that the "group of friends" option is being deprecated, a bit at least, partly because of the implication that one will have to do something one doesn't like. That was not my intention; my intention is that you might not get the opportunity to do something you absolutely love (if your favoritest thing in the world is to do crossword puzzles, it's rare that you'll get together with friends just to do that), but you'll still do something you enjoy--just perhaps not as much. However, I didn't want to make the wording too long; I like to keep the question short and sweet. So I'll be thinking about how to reword that, and I welcome any suggestions or other observations. Not just about Question 2, but any of them.

Thanks again!

EDIT: The reason I'm looking at you, Question 2, is that no one--not one person--has Sorted into Gryffindor yet. Augree was one of the closest so far, but that's about as close as it's been.


__________________
If you've got a moment, why not try out the FORT Sorting Quiz? Now in New and Improved v2.0!

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat

Last edited by BrianTung; September 2nd, 2011 at 6:21 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old September 1st, 2011, 6:50 pm
Daggerstone's Avatar
Daggerstone  Female.gif Daggerstone is offline
Splendide Mendax
 
Joined: 3154 days
Location: In Snape's pocket
Age: 40
Posts: 1,284
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

Quite beside the point now, but you gave it an interesting twist...

Here goes:    


  What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your upbringing?
My genes.
Trust me, this is not what my parents had in mind when they embarked on the whole "upbringing" trip - as they never fail to point out to me.

Would you rather be with a group of friends, even if that meant doing what the group wanted, or do what you love, even if that meant being on your own?
When you put it that way... I have no preference.
I happen to take great care in choosing people I call "friends".

Which would you enjoy more--making a great discovery, or sharing that discovery with others?

Sharing it with others.
Otherwise there's nothing "great" about it, is there now?

What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?
What we're doing to each other.
If you can't relate to those capable of offering feedback, you don't stand a Bowtruckle's chance in Hell of relating to those unable to.

Do you define yourself by what you do, or how you view the world?
Same question, different wording... how I view the world, of course.
Unlike some saintly figures, I don't always do what I think.

What do you think is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or preventing future disputes?
Preventing future disputes.
Past is done and over with, and "wrong" is a subjective concept in a dispute. Future is yet to bear fruit, and thus is the one more worth investing into.

Are you ruled more by your heart, or by your head?
Head.
"Heart" is by definition incapable of ruling.
  


So?


__________________

Last edited by Daggerstone; September 2nd, 2011 at 2:57 am. Reason: Version 0.6
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old September 1st, 2011, 6:53 pm
Always_Snape  Female.gif Always_Snape is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2274 days
Location: With Severus Snape; Always
Posts: 13
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

Quote:
Always_Snape: Ravenclaw with some Slytherin (Q3 was not answered)
Sorry I'll answer it, so check some of my answers again


__________________

"When I'm 80 years old, I'm going to be sitting in my rocking chair reading Harry Potter. And my family is going to ask me "After all this time?" and I'm going to say "Always" ". -Alan Rickman
Proudly Sorted COS: SLYTHERIN!, Pottermore decided: SLYTHERIN!
Pottermore: MarauderPotion152
Wand: Ebony
Dragon Heartstring
12 3/4 in Unbending
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old September 1st, 2011, 8:09 pm
Miss_Gaunt's Avatar
Miss_Gaunt  Female.gif Miss_Gaunt is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4447 days
Location: The Emerald Isle
Posts: 465
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
Miss_Gaunt: Ravenclaw with some Hufflepuff
Ooh excellent. I'm not very surprised to see some Hufflepuff. I don't think I've ever been sorted there by any of the quizzes I've taken but I've always thought Hufflepuff would be my second house. I'm too much of a nerd to be in there properly though so I'm delighted Ravenclaw is on top.

About question 2: It did occur to me that's what you meant by that question after I wrote my answer for it but, even though my reasoning would have changed slightly, I think my answer would have stayed the same.


Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old September 1st, 2011, 9:13 pm
UselessCharmMaster  Undisclosed.gif UselessCharmMaster is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5154 days
Location: Glass jar on Snape's desk
Posts: 1,148
Re: Sorting Hat v. 0.5

  1. What do you think has had greater impact on who you are today--your genes, or your upbringing?

    Both - with my own experience of life as the third factor.

  2. You have a free evening at home. Would you rather spend it in conversation with a few friends, or on your own with music and a nice hot cocoa?

    On my own. But anybody can join.

  3. Which would you enjoy more--making a great discovery, or sharing that discovery with others?

    To make a discovery means to share.Have you ever heard of an unknown discovery ?

  4. What do you think is the greatest problem facing the world today--what we are doing to each other, or what we are doing to the Earth?

    What we are doing to Earth. (Eatrh can live without us, we can't live without Earth)

  5. What do you think is a better measure of a person--what they do, or what they believe

    What they do.

  6. What do you think is more important in settling disputes--who did what to whom, or what will happen to the two sides?

    What will happen. The future is most important than the past.

  7. Are you ruled more by your heart, or by your head?

    My head.

Aaargh! I haven't seen the modifications!

# Would you rather be with a group of friends, even if that meant doing what the group wanted, or do what you love, even if that meant being on your own?

Do what I love. But everybody can join.

# Do you define yourself by what you do, or how you view the world?

By what I do, because it has consequences.

# What do you think is more important in settling disputes--righting a wrong, or preventing future disputes?

Righting a wrong.


__________________
Severus Snape: More Enigma Than Riddle

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.

Last edited by UselessCharmMaster; September 1st, 2011 at 9:43 pm.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > Quidditch Pitch

Bookmarks

Tags
sorting hat questionnaire


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:48 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.