Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Your Wand on Pottermore

Old September 27th, 2011, 4:52 pm
Second Year

Your Wand on Pottermore

JK Rowling seems to have put a lot of time into creating different wand woods, lenghts, cores and flexibilities. Mr. Ollivander's descriptions are very deep and detailed, showing his profund knowledge, not only of wand lore, but also of human nature.

List your wand characteristics (wood, core, flexibility and length) and your Pottermore house.

Do you think that your wand on Pottermore reflects your personality?

Let us discuss, for example:
Do you identify with the wood description?
How important is the wand core?
Are you as flexible as your wand?
What do you think of the symbolism behind short and long wands?

Please refrain from exactly quoting Pottermore's new content (no copy/pasting)!
This thread is not about the quiz questions!

Image by the lovely SadiraSnape

"Neville is the man!"

Wand: Pear, Phoenix, 14.5 in, quite flexible
HUFFLEPUFF
MagicProphecy
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2011, 6:15 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Your Wand on Pottermore

My wand is Poplar. Supposedly this means I have strong morals, am unlikely to become a politician or participate in the Dark Arts. Yes - I think it fits.

I was a little disappointed - thought it was too ordinary. But it does seem to keep with the general theme.

Rigid? If I really believe in something, I don't back down. I'm as loyal as they come. I can be very opinionated at times.

None I'm aware of.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old September 27th, 2011, 6:33 pm
Fourth Year

House - Hufflepuff
Wand - Acacia, Unicorn core, 10 3/4 inches, quite flexible.

My wood is Acacia, which I hadn't heard of before and was curious to find out the meaning of. It's very rare apparently, and only a small stock is kept so I was happy to find out I had quite a special wand wood! As for whether I relate to the wood description, I'd say yes, I do. It's focus is on subtlety, and I think that suits me very well, I'm not one to really show off or go all out. It's tempermental as well, which I think could describe my personality on occasion. And it mentions loyalty, loyalty is important to me.

I got unicorn, and I'm very happy with it! It's supposedly the one most unlikely to lean towards Dark Magic which I think was always going to be important to me. Something more powerful wouldn't have suited me at all, I'm extremely happy with my core

Quite flexible, absolutely, I'm willing to give a little to get the best out of the situation and take others' views into account.

I think it's interesting that it can show things related to character, but I only see my wand length as appropriate to my height, I think the other parts of the wand are far more important.

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!

Last edited by SopophorousBean; September 27th, 2011 at 6:37 pm.
Old September 27th, 2011, 6:41 pm
Second Year

I believe the wand tells more about a person than the house they belong to, in fact. Simply because there are more aspects of a personality being considered in the wand.

My house is Hufflepuff and my wand is Pear with phoenix core. It's very long and quite flexible.

Pear wands seem to choose very kind people, warm-hearted and generous. I totally identify with that description. It also mentions being respected and popular (I might not be the best person to judge that lol).

Personally I think cores don't matter much, since they seem to relate more to the wand than to the wizard. Though, had I had gotten a dragon heart string I would have been very surprised. (As I would have if by some mistake I would have ended up in Gryffindor!)

Now the flexibility: it also fits me well. I adjust well to new situations and can cope with change. I have my beliefs but am not too attached to my ideas. I am open to change my mind if the situation so requires.

Wand lengths have to do with body measurements, BUT, as Ollivander has mentioned, it also has to do with the development of one's character. Tall wizards with short wands (such as Draco and Ron at first) seem to be "short of something" or need to go some lengths still in their development. This indicates that a short wand owner might be a late bloomer and still has some aspects of his/her personality to discover/unfold. I love this idea.
Based on this, do you think that long wands might mean the opposite?

Image by the lovely SadiraSnape

"Neville is the man!"

Wand: Pear, Phoenix, 14.5 in, quite flexible
HUFFLEPUFF
MagicProphecy
Old September 27th, 2011, 7:08 pm
Malum Veneficus

The description of my wand is:
Wood: Pine, Core: Phoenix Feather, Flexibility: Rigid, Length: twelve inches (and something).

House: Slytherin.

Yes, quite a lot. As the description says, I'm often percieved as a loner and a mysterious person. I'm fairly independant, however shy. Also I usually try to get myself thinking outside the box.

I think it's quite important, but not as important as the wood. I think the wood is more personal than the core. I'd like to add though, that I think there are some common characteristics between the Wood and the Core. When the Pine is apt to being used creatively and in new ways, the Pheonix core is capable of a wide range of magic. Is that the case with other people?

No, unlike my wand, (I think) I'm quite a flexible person. I don't know if the wand's flexibilty is supposed to reflect one's personality, though.

I really don't know. Actually, I'm not sure whether my wand is long or short for a wand, so it's really hard to tell.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 27th, 2011, 7:42 pm
Second Year

I loved the sound of my wand straight away
Wood: Fir
Core: Dragon Heartstring
Flexibility: Reasonably supple
Length: 12 and 3/4 inches

House: Slytherin

Dragon heartstring has always been my favourite... I don't know why though XD

The description of Fir sounded completely unlike me though... which seriously disappointed me. I remember the description said something like, it doesn't work for the indecisive or changeable. Which is exactly me! So great, my wand won't work for me
I can't remember the rest of the descriptions. I only remember thinking how not like me it sounded XD
Anyway, I think wand core is very important, and the wood is secondary to that. I don't think my wand is that long, is it? I think it's a medium ish wand, which is great. Although, I wouldn't have minded a short wand as I'm short in real life =P

Old September 27th, 2011, 8:05 pm
Second Year

My wand is 13'', elder and dragon, hard.

Reading through the wood descriptions, I thought I'd get something like beech or ebony, but I can't really disagree with anything in the description. I mean, the elder wand description is like it's meant to make you feel special ("marked out for a special destiny" or something like that") and elder is the rarest wood, so that's something.

I really like my core. I wanted a dragon heartstring core (maybe because I identify with Hermione? It always just sounded cool, and then I had "dragon" in my Pottermore username, so it made sense), and the idea that it's powerful was pleasing.

I'd like to think I'm rather more flexible than my wand would indicate, but I didn't care much about the flexibility as long as I didn't end up with "brittle," which always seemed the least pleasant description.

My wand is on the long side, which I think has to do more with my height than being flamboyant or showy. Playing with my Noble Collection wand replicas, I do think a 13'' wand feels about right - anywhere from 12.5-14'' would have been fine.

BronzeDragon111 on Pottermore
BronzeDragon on COS, HPANA, and tumblr
Wand: Elder with dragon heartstring, 13'', hard
Ravenclaw on both COS and Pottermore!
Old September 27th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Third Year

My wand is Cypress, Phoenix Feather, Hard, Ten inches.

House: Ravenclaw

I'm not sure. I was a little disappointed at first, because I'd never heard of that kind of wood before, but now I really like it. My wood is traditionally associated with nobility, the willingness to lay your life down if necessary, and being able to confront the shadows in people's natures, including your own. I think that last part is kind of like me, I have no problem with identifying my 'dark side' and dealing with it, but I'm not so sure about the rest.

I think its important, but I think its more the combination of wood+core that matters. I don't think the descriptions for phoenix feather or cypress really give enough information to say what effect that core would have on that wood though.

My wand is 'hard.' I'm not entirely sure what that means in relation to wands but I think that can be like me. I can get emotional sometimes but I very rarely show them. I can be quite tough and resilient too, it generally takes a lot to upset/annoy me and I never admit when I'm afraid of something.

I'm not sure there is any. There is the description Ollivander gives but I still think that, at 5 foot-ish, I would look quite silly with a 13-14inch wand.

Old September 27th, 2011, 8:37 pm
First Year

My wand: Pine, Unicorn core, 9 3/4 inches, Unyielding

I think I identify with the description of the pine wood. I am independent, but I'm also kind of a loner and very shy.

I feel that my core is too average. lol I do like unicorns though, but I was hoping for dragon heart string.

Am I unyielding? Why yes I am. I think it fits with my house as well (see signature). I am not easily swayed or manipulated and with my ambition, it fits perfectly.

I'm short and I really don't have an opinion. lol

Slytherin according to Pottermore

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq51c5AV4r1qc7nhg.jpg
Old September 27th, 2011, 8:41 pm
First Year

Wand: black walnut, 10 and quarter inches, dragon core, unyielding

Eh, not so much that it'd scream my personality. I don't really know - it seemed sort of vague.

I guess that the fact that Black Walnut's owner is sincere and loyal...

Oooh, I like my wand core. :3 I think it's pretty important that it connects with its current master well. And it learns new things pretty easily.

It says it's "unyielding" - I guess I AM in real life, now that I think about it.

I think it's between tall or short people. I firmly believe in this theory. I'm average-short, and I think 10 is a pretty good number for that. I mean, even in the books, Ron had a fourteen inch wand and Hagrid an unusual 16 inch one. And Umbridge had a short wand, I think.

Source: GryffSolider

POTTERMORE: SeerPatronus178
Proud Gryffindor
Just kidding! JK Rowling put me in Slytherin. Now time to accept my inner Slytherin...
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:13 pm
Fifth Year

List your wand characteristics (wood, core, flexibility and length) and your Pottermore house.

Redwood, unicorn hair core, 10 3/4 inches, unyielding.

And Slytherin , of course!

Going just by the Pottermore description, not at all. So I did some more research on redwood and on unicorn hair, from outside sources. After that, it did seem more like a wand that fits me.

boring dissertation on redwood and unicorn hair:    

According to Pottermore, unicorn hair doesn't lend itself to the Dark Arts (which I take to mean Voldy wouldn't have been able to turn a unicorn hair wand, not that you can't do the occasional Dark Magic with it, if necessary), is faithful (so other wizards/witches wouldn't be able to easily turn your wand), and can die if mishandled. Other sources I found say that unicorn hair cores blend masculinity with the fullness of femininity, and "lends it steadfastness and gentleness, along with the soft insight into things magical, emotional, and feminine. There is a quality of indestructability and incorruptible purity in unicorn hair which is ideal for wands intended for use solely for the good. "

So I suppose if your intent was for the Light, even Dark Magic could be done with a unicorn hair wand.

As for redwood: it is bound to the element Fire. attracted to lucky witches/wizards. Excellent for drawing down power from Heaven to Earth, spells of religious seeking and discipline, spells of mystical union with nature and wild animals, hunting magick, the martial arts as spiritual discipline, and spells for innovation and sudden revelation.

So. I'm not depressed over my redwood/unicorn wand anymore. It's a noble, Good, steadfast and true wand, and won't easily turn to the Dark if used with Dark intent. Its unyielding nature makes it have the courage of its convictions, and by extension mine.

Not at all by Pottermore's description, but going by the Celtic meaning of wood, it definitely fits.

I think the importance of the wand core is inextricably linked with the characteristics of the wood and the way the wand is used by the wizard or witch it belongs to. For example, my wand's core (unicorn hair) isn't at all easy to use for Dark Magic; in fact, it might make the wand so sad that it dies. However, I believe it can be used occasionally to cast a Dark spell, based on the intent -- if I was defending myself, or defending someone else, I would expect my wand to produce a Sectumsempra that could flay the skin off Voldemort, because my intention (especially defending someone else) was not offensive but defensive. Add in the altruism, and you've made a Dark spell into a Light one.

Like Bella says, "You have to mean it."

I think at heart I'm pretty unyielding, but I'm open to discussion and on occasion I will indeed change my mind. But there better be some pretty good evidence presented to make me do it!

I like the short wand/late bloomer symbolism. Perhaps the short wand will help the wielder overcome their deficiencies.

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding

Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
Old September 28th, 2011, 1:44 am
First Year

Wand: Cypress, Unicorn hair core, 10¾ inches, unbending.

House: Gryffindor

Honestly? No. I don't think four elements and their inclusive meanings are able to capture any facet of a person's personality to any degree of depth or reliability.

Cypress wands are associated with nobility, the brave, the bold and the self-sacrificing...those who are unafraid to confront the shadows in their own and others’ natures.

Whilst I am unafraid of confronting the shadows of my own self and I can honestly say my life has been one of self-sacrifice, though perhaps through necessity rather than choice, I think I am far from being an audacious or valorous person.

My wand core of unicorn hair is said to produce the most consistent magic and the hardest of the three cores to turn to the Dark Arts.
However, to my mind the wand cores only take on any real significance when they are coupled with the intent of the wand owner/wielder.

If asked I would describe myself as quite an adaptive person, but one who is also steadfast in my beliefs and principles. So, I would venture to say that I am of a more flexible nature than the 'unbending' in my wand description would suggest.

I think the wand lengths are nothing more than a representative of a person's height; short, average, tall. Using averages of wrist to elbow measurements of each stature category, perhaps? After all...if you want to stash your wand up your sleeve for easy access and convenience you would want to make sure that it is also well concealed.

Professor Severus Snape - brooding, detached, sarcastic, misanthropic, indomitable, complex, enigmatic. PERFECT. The embodiment of a writer's beautiful but damned dream man. "...a gift of a character" - J.K. Rowling

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure...The mind is a complex and many-layered thing."

"Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?"

"And my soul, Dumbledore? Mine?"
---
Pottermore : StormElm168 - House: Gryffindor
Old September 28th, 2011, 2:12 am
Fifth Year

Mine is black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding. My house:

Eleven inches is same as Harry's wand and seems like a good length. I think it was meant to line up with how old he was on the birthday when he bought the wand, so it feels nicely rooted in canon.

Phoenix feather core is also a nice link to Harry and Voldemort's wands. I've always liked the phoenix symbolism, Fawkes, the Order, and the idea of being reborn from the ashes, so I'm very happy this is the core I got.

The black walnut and unyielding parts reminded me of Bellatrix's wand. I know hers is just plain walnut, but "black walnut" sounds even more dark! Bellatrix interests me as a character a lot, though, even if I don't "like" her outright ... I think of a her as a dark reflection of and deeply intertwined with my favorite character, Sirius, so I don't exactly mind that my wand has some associations with hers.

But when I saw "unyielding" and remembered Bellatrix, I had a feeling I might be headed down the road to a Slytherin sorting, and that is indeed where I ended up.

Black walnut wands are supposed to work well for introspective owners who really know themselves. On the one hand, I usually pride myself on my introspective powers and good intrapersonal intelligence, so I want to believe it's a good fit. On the other hand, I really did NOT see it coming (aside from the suspicion based on "unyielding") that I would be sorted into Slytherin, although I do agree with it now. So maybe I don't know myself so well after all. I do really like that description though.

The wand woods remind me a little of horoscopes, saying nice things that maybe could apply to a lot of people, so that we are all likely to see some flattering aspect of our personality confirmed and affirmed by our wands....

I met J. K. Rowling!

She said you should read my fanfics:
Sirius Black and the Drapery of DoomThe Werewolf Prank (by capella_black and Arithmancer)
Regulus Kills Again (One-shot)Lily Evans and the Golden Lyre

Pottermore: CatSnitch Black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding

Last edited by capella_black; September 28th, 2011 at 2:14 am.
Old September 28th, 2011, 3:35 am
Third Year

House:

Hufflepuff

I'd certainly say so.

Hornbeam is about someone who has a pure passion to the point of obsession...and I certainly can get very passionate about something I really care about, especially if it's someone I love greatly and wish to protect that person....and then on top of that the serious loyalty aspect of the wand too!

Somehow I sense that perhap's Snape's wand is Hornbeam....but who knows...I think there were one or two others that could fit him also.

I don't really know...I'm just happy that I got unicorn. I think that is fitting for me and I love unicorns. I was hoping that I would get that one!

I'm not sure how flexible 'surprisingly swishy' is meant to be really. XD

I don't think much about it actually. It seems like my wand is pretty long and I'm tall for a girl(5'8").

Last edited by Kathleen Malfoy; September 28th, 2011 at 3:52 am.
Old September 28th, 2011, 3:53 am
First Year

My Wand: Hazel, Unicorn Core, 10 and a quarter inches, reasonably supple

It started off saying Hazel was a sensitive wand, and I was immediately a little happy it at least sounded a lot like me. I can be sensitive to the point of ridiculousness - by that I mean one of my major qualities that I value is empathy and compassion so I tend to really feel people and situations and I've always found it quite easy pick up on other people's feelings and moods. My wand apparently has a knack for picking up it's masters mood's and works according to them. So yes I am quite happy with it. Apparently it also has a cool ability to detect water underground and emit's tear shaped puffs of smoke when it senses water. Not sure how useful that is or not, but it's pretty cool. Though reading the descriptions I really liked the sound of a Vine though for me(Hermione's is one I believe too). But Hazel is up there with one I'd want most according to who I am.

I think Unicorn was what I least wanted going in it, I would have been cool with dragon, but what I really wanted was phoenix. But yes, I am happy with unicorn. Apparently Unicorn matched with Hazel means my wand will never work for anyone else as it's an exceptionally loyal wood and even more so with Unicorn. So I'm happy.

Reasonably supple. I'm suppose I'm willing to adapt. I can be very rigid, but at the same time depending on the situation, not necessarily. When I feel something is right almost nothing will convince me otherwise, however if it's something where I don't have a strong opinion to start with I am quite willing to hear many views and take it from there. So I suppose it works. Pottermore was quite vague on it though and I got the impression it was meant that it depends on the owner and how they use their wands as well to what the 'unyielding, yielding meant'

Some symbolism, but mainly height. The answers do matter though I think - as some will say 'short' and get 10 inches and some will get 3/4 inches which is a slight difference. The only thing is I haven't seen anything less than 10 I think, or anything more than - 13/14? Where as in Potter universe there are shorter and longer wands - Lucius was supposed to have had a very long wasn't he?

Old September 28th, 2011, 4:15 am
First Year

10 inches, hazel, unicorn core, surprisingly swishy

I am kind of indifferent about it. I guess it describes one particular aspect of my personality, but it doesn't describe it holistically. No single wood or core description offered seems to fit me.

Hazel really didn't say much about personality so it is hard to say. I am emotional, but I do not let that show normally and therefore have a strong tendency to be passive aggressive. That is how my dissappointments, frustrations, stress, and anger manifest themselves in me. The wand is responsive to the owner's emotions, so I guess that this could be useful (it mentioned that others should be wary when handling a hazel wand if the owner has had dissappointments or has lost their temper recently). I am very perceptive of how others are feeling; I have a gift for 'reading' people, a side effect of my dyslexia.

But I feel like I am more similar to other wand woods. I just wish there was more details about the different combinations and how that correlates to the personality of the wizard/witch.

It is important when it comes to loyalties and, to some degree, morals. Unicorn, for example, has strong morals because it 'wilts' and/or 'dies' when forced to preform dark magic. It is also fiercely loyal to its original owner, regardless of their prominence.

I am indecisive, but once my mind is made up, that is that. I tend to bounce back and fourth between options, but once I finally pick one, I hold fast. Also, I hate to admit that I am wrong, and I rarely ever do publicly. Privately I will agree with you if you make logical sense, but since I am stubborn I will not give you the satisfaction. I guess that I appear to be narrow-minded, and I do accept stereotypes until I am proven wrong. But given enough time, or if it is only between one other person and myself, I will let my defences fall, swallow my pride, and change my mind.

I disagree with what Ollivander said about short wands tending to be better suited for the more refined and long wands better suited for big personalities. In my own personal experience, the shorter the person the bigger their personality. I myself am short relative to my school and hometown (although I am teshnically the national average), and I have a bigger personality than my friend who is 5'11" and a model. She is the more refined and elegant of the two of us. This pattern is repeated many times over amongst both my group of friends and the total student population. However, with boys, the tall ones are both more refined and are the "big personalities."

Perhaps it is different with wizards than muggles?

FireboltSpell68
wand: hazel with unicorn core, ten inches, surprisingly swishy

Seeds of Greatness

made by GryffSoldier
Old September 28th, 2011, 5:10 am
First Year

11 in. Rowan wood, Unicorn core, quite flexible and I was sorted into Hufflepuff

I think this wand wood fits me really well. It says that I am pure hearted and clear headed, which I find very true for myself. It also talks about defense, and defending others, which I really like (could you get anymore Hufflepuff than this wand description?) I do feel that my wand wood fits me, but I think there are others that would have also fit for me too.

The wand core descriptions are pretty vague, so I personally don't find them very important. I think I would have preffered a less common wand core though.

I think that I am quite flexible as my wand tells me. I enjoy change, and I hate doing the same thing everyday. I also feel that when it comes to friends I have many different types of people as my friends, so I have a flexible personality that goes well with pretty much anyone.

I am a very short person (about 5'1") and my wand length is 11" (same as harry's!) I think that 11" is probably about medium, maybe a tiny bit on the short side. I think my personality is probably somewhere in the middle though, so I guess that would kinda work out.

Old September 28th, 2011, 5:52 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Wand: 10 3/4" Maple with Unicorn Core. Slightly springy.

Yes. Maple likes travellers and explorers. It likes challenges, and it wants its owner to have ambition. These are definitely characteristics that I identify with.

In addition, I am a musician, and Maple is a tone wood - meaning that it carries tone and is used in making some wood instruments.

And in addition to all of that, Maple is one of my favorite trees because of its beautiful Fall colors. We used to have a Japanese Maple in front of the House. So yes, I'm very happy with my wand wood.

I think it's important. As an adventurous explorer who likes challenges and possesses ambition, I need something to rein me in! I think a unicorn core is helpful in that regard. I'm less likely to be drawn to Dark Magic, and I will need to work a little harder to cast powerful spells. Again, that's the sort of challenge I like. So it's kind of perfect!

Oh, definitely. I'm quite adaptable and quick to improvise complicated solutions to problems.

Well, my wand length is fairly average - like my height. But I do have a rather big personality, so...

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:58 pm
First Year

I am in Gryffindor and my wand is 14 1/4" Sycamore with Unicorn, Hard

Spoiler: show
The sycamore makes a questing wand, eager for new experience and losing brilliance if engaged in mundane activities. It is a quirk of these handsome wands that they may combust if allowed to become ‘bored,’ and many witches and wizards, settling down into middle age, are disconcerted to find their trusty wand bursting into flame in their hand as they ask it, one more time, to fetch their slippers. As may be deduced, the sycamore’s ideal owner is curious, vital and adventurous, and when paired with such an owner, it demonstrates a capacity to learn and adapt that earns it a rightful place among the world's most highly-prized wand woods.

I definitely identify with the Sycamore description. I love going out into the world and discovering new things. After I've finished studying I plan on going travelling. I also get bored very quickly if something doesn't interest me and lose even more interest if how it is said/taught/written/etc is done in a very poor and boring way. If it is the opposite I will crave more of it.
Overall I can identify with being curious, vital and adventurous.

Unicorn hair generally produces the most consistent magic, and is least subject to fluctuations and blockages. Wands with unicorn cores are generally the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts. They are the most faithful of all wands, and usually remain strongly attached to their first owner, irrespective of whether he or she was an accomplished witch or wizard.

Minor disadvantages of unicorn hair are that they do not make the most powerful wands (although the wand wood may compensate) and that they are prone to melancholy if seriously mishandled, meaning that the hair may 'die' and need replacing.

I think the core is very important. It was best said by Prodfoot though:
Quote:
It is important when it comes to loyalties and, to some degree, morals. Unicorn, for example, has strong morals because it 'wilts' and/or 'dies' when forced to preform dark magic. It is also fiercely loyal to its original owner, regardless of their prominence.
The Unicorn hair I can strongly identify as well and I am glad it chose me

Wand flexibility or rigidity denotes the degree of adaptability and willingness to change possessed by the wand-and-owner pair - although, again, this factor ought not to be considered separately from the wand wood, core and length, nor of the owner’s life experience and style of magic, all of which will combine to make the wand in question unique.

If you mean stubborn, then yes, I am as flexible as my wand

Most wands will be in the range of between nine and fourteen inches. While I have sold extremely short wands (eight inches and under) and very long wands (over fifteen inches), these are exceptionally rare. In the latter case, a physical peculiarity demanded the excessive wand length. However, abnormally short wands usually select those in whose character something is lacking, rather than because they are physically undersized (many small witches and wizards are chosen by longer wands).

I think the symbolism behind the wands is mainly about how tall the witch/wizard is. My wand is towards the longer end of the scale. In regards to height I am quite happy I got a longer wand, being 178cm myself. I feel if I had gotten a shorter wand I would've felt that something was missing within me (and I would let ridiculous with a short wand, would look like a pencil on me!)

Serial Lurker Extraordinaire
Old September 28th, 2011, 1:20 pm
Suteki da ne

I wrote this breakdown when I first got my wand, writing about what mr Ollivander said about wandlore. I'll shove it in Spoiler tags just to be sure

Oh, my wand is Acacia and Phoenix Feather, Ten inches, quite bendy

The breakdown basically says that the acacia is a rare wood, refuses to create magic for any but its owner and withholds its effects from all but the most gifted ( um...yeah ), who is someone who is subtle in their magic and isn't into what Ollivander calls "bangs and smells magic". It's underrated because the wood is quite temperamental.
The phoenix feather core is another rare item in wandmaking. It's powerful, but like the acacia likes to withhold its power. Phoenix feathers are known to act of their own accord (which explains Harry's wand attacking Voldemort at the beginning of Deathly Hallows at last) which a lot of magical people don't particularly like. Phoenix core wands are picky when it comes to choosing an owner, because they are independent creatures who are very loyal, meaning that if you're trying to win a wand with a phoenix feather core, it's gonna be a hard battle.
Right, the length and flexibility- the length is on the shorter side of "normal", which is unusual, because one of the things with wands is that the longer ones usually choose magical folk who are on the shorter side- and I'm definitely one of them. However, it also goes by personality- those with a bigger personality will have bigger wands. Flexibility wise, the more flexible the wand is, the more flexible it is to taking on a new owner, but this should be looked at alongside the other aspects of the wand- so my wand may be quite bendy, but it's acacia and phoenix feather, which are both pretty inflexible components. However, it also means that it'll bend to the will of its true owner. I think I like my wand!

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak