Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Similar Characteristics Between Houses

Old September 29th, 2011, 3:44 am
Second Year

Similar Characteristics Between Houses

It's so easy to talk about how one house is different from the other three, or how a certain house stands out. But what about similarities between houses? What characteristics do Slytherin students and Ravenclaw students have in common? Gryffindor and Hufflepuff? Slytherin and Gryffindor?
Clearly, all we have laid out in canon are the Sorting Hat songs, so this would be mainly observation. Here is one I've noticed:

I would imagine that Slytherin and Gryffindor would both have a great deal of optimism. You need to be optimistic to be ambitious, and to believe that you can achieve great things. You also need to optimistic to be brave and daring, believing that you can succeed or survive what you are attempting.
Conversely, I would say that Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff would be more down-to-earth. Ravenclaws would have a more realistic view of life because of their academic and fact-based personalities, and Hufflepuffs would have a very tolerant and straight-forward point of view- also realistic.

So what do you think? Do you agree? And what similarites have you noticed?

Please keep in mind that if you want to discuss which houses might dislike each other, and why, there is already a thread for that.

Old September 29th, 2011, 5:33 am
Malum Veneficus

Re: Similar Characteristics Between Houses

I always thought Slythrin and Ravenclaw shared the charactaristic of being intelligent nd wise, more than the two other houses. We know that these are Ravenclaw's main characteristics, but for Slytherin I think it's what contributes to their being cunning and prudent. And for ambition one definitely needs to be intelligent, though not necessarily wise (see Lord Voldemort). I don't think Gryffindors are necessarily wise, (though we definitely have exceptions like Dumbeldore). Their bravery often leads them to act quickly without much thought of the consequences of their actions, something that isn't exactly wise. As for Hufflepuff, their main characteristic is hard-work and loyalty; still I always thought of Hufflepuffs as generally wise wizards and witches, though not as Slytherins and Ravenclaws. But that's just how I feel.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 29th, 2011, 7:57 am
First Year

This is a really interesting post! yay Nnylarak!!

I completely agree. There are many characteristics that ride the lines between houses. I think a lot of these Sorting quizzes that people take have a critical element of why. What were your reasons for choosing that answer? Because often times two or more Houses would make the same decision, sometimes for very different reasons, and usually with very different underlying intentions or motivations.

Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs both have big hearts by definition, whereas Ravenclaws and Slytherins are less concerned with the trivialities of others.

Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws are both more externally focused (either learning from others or contributing to others) than Slytherins and Gryffindors, whose worlds revolve around numero uno.

Slytherins and Hufflepuffs are both more down-to-Earth than Ravenclaws and Gryffindors - and I'm not just talking about their dormitory placements! For example, the resourceful trait for Slytherins motivates them to analyze things realistically to achieve the most likely advantageous outcome; Hufflepuffs are defined as hard workers and take the realistic approach of doing what needs to be done. I definitely think of Ravenclaws and Gryffindors as a more idealistic bunch, generally, and that they tend to be more single-minded.

Hopefully some fuel for the conversation???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I always thought Slythrin and Ravenclaw shared the charactaristic of being intelligent and wise, more than the two other houses.

...still I always thought of Hufflepuffs as generally wise wizards and witches, though not as Slytherins and Ravenclaws. But that's just how I feel.
I would disagree that wisdom is a part of Slytherin. I think that's what divides their style of intelligence - it is characterized by self-serving motivations. They can be infinitely clever, but it always comes down to survival tactics with Slytherins, which is hardly a wise method of operation.

I would agree, though, that Hufflepuffs should by definition have a considerable measure of wisdom! I hadn't considered it, but you definitely got my attention.
Their essential concern for others would be a great asset in that department - it causes them to ponder situations and feelings of others, and logically this would lead to a more well-formed understanding of people than the other three Houses (at least in general terms of natural inclination, according to House traits we all know there are exceptions). I definitely associate the understanding of people with a certain type of wisdom.

Old September 29th, 2011, 10:13 pm
First Year

I see the Ravenclaws and Slytherins as introverted and the Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs to be more extroverted.

Old September 29th, 2011, 10:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
I see the Ravenclaws and Slytherins as introverted and the Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs to be more extroverted.
I can see how you would think that, but being a very introverted Hufflepuff (who also identifies much with Gryffindor) I feel the need to disagree.
Only speaking for myself, I am usually introverted, but when provoked/attacked/etc. I am perfectly capable of defending myself (and/or others) and tend to get very stubborn.

I think there are many similarities between the houses, for instance, both Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors will do anything to defend their friends & family & justice, the difference being that Gryffindors will probably be more excited to do it.

Ravenclaws & Slytherins both seem, although in different ways, to value knowledge more than the other 2 houses. Ravenclaws just for the sake of knowlege, Slytherins to see how they can use it to pursue their ambitions.

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding

Last edited by Nielo; September 29th, 2011 at 10:54 pm.
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:13 am
First Year

Introverted Hufflepuff over here, too!

You know, despite that, I almost put the same thing.. I used "big hearts" instead I know we are generalizing people when we talk about House characteristics, but using myself as an example: you can strongly value loyalty and keep meaningful, close relationships without needing to see or talk to those people very often at all! I don't think they are necessarily the same thing. You can have a big heart and care a lot - doesn't mean you need to be with people all the time.

Old September 30th, 2011, 12:57 am
First Year

I think all Houses have at least a couple of similarities with each other

I think Gryffindor and Slytherin are the most stubborn Houses.

As was already mentioned, Slytherin and Ravenclaw are intelligent, though Slytherin is obviously more calculating and probably only considers something worth learning if it serves their purpose.

Hufflepuffs and Slytherins probably have the least in common, but I see them both as realists, whereas Gryffindor and Ravenclaw are more idealistic.

I also see Hufflepuffs as fairly introverted.

Last edited by magentastorm; September 30th, 2011 at 12:59 am.
Old September 30th, 2011, 1:04 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I think wisdom is a characteristic of individuals, not Houses. I'd say it's not a matter of one's values and abilities, but what one does with those abilities that shows wisdom. IMHO, wisdom can be found in the brave, the intelligent, the hard-working and fair, and the ambitious, so long as the individual uses those qualities well.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:39 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garwain View Post
Introverted Hufflepuff over here, too!

You know, despite that, I almost put the same thing.. I used "big hearts" instead I know we are generalizing people when we talk about House characteristics, but using myself as an example: you can strongly value loyalty and keep meaningful, close relationships without needing to see or talk to those people very often at all! I don't think they are necessarily the same thing. You can have a big heart and care a lot - doesn't mean you need to be with people all the time.
Yes, I was going to quote you. But then I didn't. (Not sure why ended up not doing that, but I definitely agreed with your post.)

That's exactly how I feel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
I think wisdom is a characteristic of individuals, not Houses. I'd say it's not a matter of one's values and abilities, but what one does with those abilities that shows wisdom. IMHO, wisdom can be found in the brave, the intelligent, the hard-working and fair, and the ambitious, so long as the individual uses those qualities well.
Very well put!

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Old September 30th, 2011, 3:15 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentastorm View Post
I think all Houses have at least a couple of similarities with each other
I think that with the exception of two or three individual qualities, overall, all four houses hold the same people. Slytherins and Ravenclaws both value intelligence but with different underlying motives. The same can be said about Gryffindor and Hufflepuff's enduring loyalty and friendships.

I also view Gryffindors and Slytherins as outspoken and attention seeking, again, with different underlying intentions. I hesitate to use the word cunning as applied to both houses because it has such a negative connotation but when it comes down to it, but Gryffindors and Slytherins can be quite skillful at getting what they want/need.

I think, when it comes down to it, it's the intentions that set each house aside.

Old September 30th, 2011, 3:55 pm
First Year

I think it's very few similarities between what the houses stands for. However, I've always seen your house as your primary standpoint and that your house shows what you values the most. But surely a human can value many things, just not as high. As said the houses are very much generalizing people and I for example was sorted into Ravenclaw on Pottermore, which I feel is absolutely right, but I think of myself as loyal, fair and ambitious on top of being very much in love with knowledge. The houses are good for putting you with people who you're most likely to share the same interests with but one can't (well maybe some) have only 1 single thing that means something to you. So I think the houses have some favoured characteristics but that doesn't mean one can't be in Ravenclaw and still value fairness, friendship and ambition.

Old September 30th, 2011, 7:44 pm
Fourth Year

Interesting thread.

A while back I started thinking about houses in terms of which ones had similarities with which other ones, and I ended up putting together a structure that eventually became the FORT Sorting Quiz (link below in my sig). The way that I see them, all the houses have something in common with each of the others, although to varying extents. So placing the value of action above "merely" conception is a Gryffinpuff quality. If you think that teamwork involves putting each team member where they are each best suited, that's a Slytherclaw quality. And so on.

The reason I started thinking about the houses this way is that I wanted to get away from qualities that people think of as good or bad, and especially with Slytherin and Hufflepuff, those stereotypes get in the way of seeing those houses as worthwhile.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Old October 1st, 2011, 1:29 am
I want to believe

I see a lot of similarities between the Houses. I know these are generalizations (and all are my opinion) and that there are always exceptions, but overall, here are a few similarities I feel exist between the Houses:

Gryffindor/Hufflepuff
  • Loyalty: For Gryffindor, part of being chivalrous is being loyal to one's friends; Hufflepuffs are big-hearted and value loyalty in a general sense
  • Defense: Gryffindors are quick to save others from danger; Hufflepuffs defend themselves unexpectedly well against perceived threats to their well-being
  • Extroversion: Obviously there are exceptions, but I think Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors would rather associate with other people rather than be alone

Gryffindor/Ravenclaw
  • Courage: Gryffindors are courageous types in general; Ravenclaws have the courage to be themselves, even if they may be quirky

Slytherin/Gryffindor
  • Boldness: Slytherins seem bold in going after greatness; Gryffindors have bold and daring personalities

Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
  • Tolerance: Ravenclaws are very individualistic; Hufflepuffs are very inclusive
  • Hard work: Ravenclaws likely work hard at academics; Hufflepuffs work hard in any endeavor

Ravenclaw/Slytherin
  • Desire for knowledge: Ravenclaws seek knowledge for the sake of it; Slytherins seek knowledge to achieve an end
  • Introversion: Obviously there are exceptions, but I see Slytherins and Ravenclaws preferring to keep to themselves for the most part (vs. interacting/socializing with other people)

Hufflepuff/Slytherin
  • Teamwork: Hufflepuffs I see as "people" people who work well with others; Slytherins are protective of their own and view other Slytherins as "brothers"

I'm sure there are more similarities - this is what I came up with at the moment.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old October 1st, 2011, 5:35 am
Fifth Year

Hmm...interesting thread. I actually see the four houses a little differently. I see them as four sides to two coins. JKR called Slytherin and Gryffindor two sides to the same coin. I would argue that Ravenclaw and Slytherin (the two houses that I personally think have the most in common) are the same side to two different coins.

I would argue the same with Gryffindor/Hufflepuff (same side, different coin) and Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff (two sides same coin). That leaves Gryffindor/Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff/Slytherin with the least in common.

I think all houses have shared qualities. What makes a person a Hufflepuff versus a Ravenclaw is that they value or exhibit certain qualities in a higher proportion than the other qualities. But I don't think that any person is ONLY a Slytherin or ONLY Gryffindor.

Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
Yeah, that's about right!
HawthornAsphodel133
Old October 1st, 2011, 2:09 pm
First Year

May thought is that- Every house is pretty much the same. After all, you can't truly define a person. Take Hermione, for example. She was placed in Gryffindor even though she was more than just brave. She was the most intelligent witch of her time, quite ambitious (or EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE), and very caring. Why Gryffindor? Because her heart says so. Any other house would've suited her brilliantly, but Gryffindor is the best place for her, as company in the other houses wouldn't match her. Her temper would scare the Ravenclaws, her muggle born-ness would isolate her in the Slytherin house,
Of course, she would fit quite well in Hufflepuff and I believe she wasn't placed there for the purpose of the books and also because she hadn't the levels of good natured-ness for that house.
Now, take Neville. Duh! He's a Gryffindor. Not exactly bold, but brave, very brave.
Draco: Dead set Slytherin. Pure-blood, ambitious and cunning (though dreadfully stupid, at times)
Luna: She could have easily been a Gryffindor. REALLY easily. The factor that put her in Ravenclaw is her uncommon wit. Gnargles, indeed.
HOUSES
~Gryffindors can fit into any house.
~Ravenclaws would suit Gryffindor extremely well and would match Slytherin nicely, too.
Not Hufflepuff, way too eccentric (I am, anyway)
~Slytherins would fall into Ravenclaw or Gryffindor. Not Hufflepuff because of extreme competitiveness and unmatched ambition.
~Hufflepuffs are versatile. Hufflepuff qualities can fit in any house.Yes, Slytherins can be good-natured and loyal!!!

Yeah, that was long!

"After all this time?"
"Always..."

As I'll always be... a Potterhead
First Batch, Pottermore Battalion, and now participating in keeping the flame alive
Pottermore Username: AccioPhoenix139
CoS & POTTERMORE did me justice and put me in... RAVENCLAW

May the BloodSnitch have mercy on you...
Old October 1st, 2011, 2:32 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post

Ravenclaw/Slytherin
  • Desire for knowledge: Ravenclaws seek knowledge for the sake of it; Slytherins seek knowledge to achieve an end
  • Introversion: Obviously there are exceptions, but I see Slytherins and Ravenclaws preferring to keep to themselves for the most part (vs. interacting/socializing with other people)
One thing I would add is that I see both houses as very competitive, more than Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. What sets them apart is Ravenclaw's preference for individual achievements, while Slytherins will band together. I see Hermione's drive to excel in her classes as being the Ravenclaw side of her. Lucius Malfoy buying the entire Quiddich Team new brooms is very Slytherin. And one quick glance at the Great Hall in Pottermore will tell you which two houses are currently brewing enough potions to keep St. Mungos stocked for a year.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown

owlcat207 - first batch - Proud Member of the House of the Dancing Cupcakes
Old October 1st, 2011, 4:53 pm
Second Year

I also agree that Ravenclaw and Slytherin share very similar qualities. I think that they both want to excel in school. The difference, in my opinion, is that Ravenclaws want to do well in school simply for the sake of learning. Slytherins want to get good grades so that they can advance to the career they want, or the new position they want. I think that Slytherins use school as a launching pad.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 6:23 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I see a lot of similarities between the Houses. I know these are generalizations (and all are my opinion) and that there are always exceptions, but overall, here are a few similarities I feel exist between the Houses:

Gryffindor/Hufflepuff
  • Loyalty: For Gryffindor, part of being chivalrous is being loyal to one's friends; Hufflepuffs are big-hearted and value loyalty in a general sense
  • Defense: Gryffindors are quick to save others from danger; Hufflepuffs defend themselves unexpectedly well against perceived threats to their well-being
  • Extroversion: Obviously there are exceptions, but I think Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors would rather associate with other people rather than be alone

Gryffindor/Ravenclaw
  • Courage: Gryffindors are courageous types in general; Ravenclaws have the courage to be themselves, even if they may be quirky

Slytherin/Gryffindor
  • Boldness: Slytherins seem bold in going after greatness; Gryffindors have bold and daring personalities

Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
  • Tolerance: Ravenclaws are very individualistic; Hufflepuffs are very inclusive
  • Hard work: Ravenclaws likely work hard at academics; Hufflepuffs work hard in any endeavor

Ravenclaw/Slytherin

Hufflepuff/Slytherin
  • Teamwork: Hufflepuffs I see as "people" people who work well with others; Slytherins are protective of their own and view other Slytherins as "brothers"

I'm sure there are more similarities - this is what I came up with at the moment.
I agree completely with everything listed here, except maybe the Gryffindor/Ravenclaw one. There is a different sort of courage required to charge a mountain troll than to express yourself.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 6:59 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torran View Post
I agree completely with everything listed here, except maybe the Gryffindor/Ravenclaw one. There is a different sort of courage required to charge a mountain troll than to express yourself.
I agree with this too. On the other hand, however, it is easy to be yourself when you think that you are better than everyone else. I am not suggesting that Ravenclaws are snobs, but if they view themselves as more intelligent, then this higher opinion of themselves might contribute to their perceived courage.

I feel like Slytherin and Gryffindor are most similar; Ravenclaw and Slytherin get along the best; Hufflepuff and Slytherin have the most conflicting values of all the houses.

FireboltSpell68
wand: hazel with unicorn core, ten inches, surprisingly swishy

Seeds of Greatness

made by GryffSoldier
Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:14 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan101 View Post
Hmm...interesting thread. I actually see the four houses a little differently. I see them as four sides to two coins. JKR called Slytherin and Gryffindor two sides to the same coin. I would argue that Ravenclaw and Slytherin (the two houses that I personally think have the most in common) are the same side to two different coins.

I would argue the same with Gryffindor/Hufflepuff (same side, different coin) and Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff (two sides same coin). That leaves Gryffindor/Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff/Slytherin with the least in common.
OK, you Owled me this at one point, and to be honest, I'm still a bit bemused by the coin analogy. Mostly I can't tell what's attributed to the coin, and what's attributed to the side.

So, from what I can tell, Gryffindor and Slytherin have something in common, and Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw have a similar but opposite something in common. Likewise, Gryffindor and Hufflepuff have something in common, and Slytherin and Ravenclaw have a similar but opposite something in common. (I would agree with all that, by the way.)

Is that it, or is there more to your coin analogy that I'm not getting? For instance--let me see if I can articulate this properly--can one say that two of the houses are more headsy, and the other two more tailsy? (I mean, Pottermore does have that question, doesn't it?!) Or, to slice it along a different axis, are two of the houses a bit Knuttier than the other two? (Aren't they always?) OK, seriously, though.

Quote:
I think all houses have shared qualities. What makes a person a Hufflepuff versus a Ravenclaw is that they value or exhibit certain qualities in a higher proportion than the other qualities. But I don't think that any person is ONLY a Slytherin or ONLY Gryffindor.
Surely. But people have always been prone to putting people into buckets, and disregarding the similarities; it's an efficient, if somewhat unfair, way to organize your social world.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone