Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comment on: CoS Forums Closure

Closed Thread

Old March 29th, 2013, 12:44 pm
Genius Loci

Comment on: CoS Forums Closure

Comment on the closure of CoS Forums

Old March 29th, 2013, 12:48 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Comment on: CoS Forums Closure

It was a good run, and I have enjoyed the site for many years. Thank you, Morgoth, and the best to you in the future. and thank you to everyone else who also put in time and effort to run CoS.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old March 29th, 2013, 1:29 pm
Second Year

Yes, it's been a good run. Thank you Morgoth (cool name, BTW) and all staff who've worked so hard on these forums over the years!

That said, I won't be convinced the boards are actually closing until after April 1.

My ongoing choose-your-adventure story:

The Potter Games: Endgame
Old March 29th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I'll be sorry to see the old place go , but of course the reasons you lay out make all kinds of sense, Morgoth! Thanks to you for keeping the site going all these years, and to the staff and members for making it what it has been - it's been a second home on the Internet for me.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old March 29th, 2013, 1:43 pm
Fourth Year

It will be so sad to see this place go after so many years coming here I actually made many friends here and discovered my true passion here (writing). I sort of stopped being truly active around here after a while, but I always came back to check up on the place. I love this site so much, though I've noticed the lack of users and daily activity as well and know what would be best. Much love and thanks to everyone who took part in making this forum go, and if any of my friends are still around, a big thank you to the log talks and support over the years. I will truly miss everyone and this site. <3

~ginnypotter19 (member for six years, and once the site goes, a faithful seven)

Please check out my non-Harry Potter story Elmandoroth Chapter Two is finished.

Old March 29th, 2013, 1:51 pm
Second Year

Severus Snape ~ The Boy Who Loved
Old March 29th, 2013, 1:54 pm
Rocket Scientist

aww sad face Thank you for all the wonderful years of discussions and for providing a fabulous place for me to meet other wonderful potter fans. I shall miss COS and hope to keep in touch with many of you over the interwebs

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old March 29th, 2013, 2:00 pm
Seventh Year

I would like to say a huge THANK YOU to Morgoth for this forum, the mods who volunteered their time, and the posters who have helped make it so special. I've had an amazing time here and learned so much about the plot and characters and how to use Pottermore. I've made some wonderful friends. There's no HP place like CoS anywhere on the web and I doubt there ever will be. I understand your reasoning, though, Morgoth - thank you for the advanced notice

I'll miss you guys so much.....

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown

owlcat207 - first batch - Proud Member of the House of the Dancing Cupcakes
Old March 29th, 2013, 2:01 pm
Member of the Order

Well, as one of the longest posters here that still actually posts, I should have some commentary to make, but it's too soon for the right words.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old March 29th, 2013, 2:05 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Thank you, Matt, for everything. It was a great run, and we appreciate all you did.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old March 29th, 2013, 2:05 pm
Curse Breaker

I want to thank you and all of the COS staff members for all they've contributed to running and maintaining this site over the years. In my view it's by far been the best run & moderated HP forum. It's been a great experience for me, I've enjoyed the discussion so much, and often been surprised and delighted by the comments and insight of many members' posts (....OK, yes, at times really annoyed as well, but those were few in comparison). Thanks again for all the work and personal time you've contributed.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old March 29th, 2013, 2:19 pm
Fifth Year

This is the only HP site/forum that I've stuck with through the years and will be sorry to see it go. Most of my computer skills have been learned on here and from the other posters [who I will most definitely miss].

Matt, you run a family friendly site and I appreciate the diligence of your moderators. I do understand your reasons though, even if it's not to my liking.

Pottermore: MahoganyFrog20318
Old March 29th, 2013, 2:55 pm
Third Year

I will be very sad to see it go. I have made many fabulous friends here. Though I have most on either FB, Twitter, etc now. ANd I've loved the contests and other things that the mods have done. This is truly the only HP site I visit daily.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old March 29th, 2013, 2:56 pm
Registered Animagus

Wow, one of my favorite websites ever, my favorite Harry Potter website. Sad to see that it is closing. Met so many people here, some who were very close that I will miss. Had some very very fun discussions, especially about each new book and movie. I am big on fan-fiction, and a few years ago, this was the first site I put it on, and the reviewers were amazing.

Thank you staff, and fellow posters for making these forums wonderful to be a part of.

Old March 29th, 2013, 3:06 pm
Seventh Year

Thanks for giving us fans a place fun place to interact and discuss the books that we love! Thanks also to Morgoth for putting in so much time, effort and resources and to all the moderators for all the time and trouble they went through week in and week out making sure we were all kept in line.

One question: Will there be a specific closing date announced or one day will the site just be taken down?

Old March 29th, 2013, 3:11 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
One question: Will there be a specific closing date announced or one day will the site just be taken down?
I believe we will announce a special day or at least a week in which it will happen, so that everyone can download whatever thread is wanted just in time, and for particular make sure that every friend on the forums is contacted and maybe some twitter, fb, lj or whatever contacts are exchanged if this didn't happen so far. But it won't happen before summer.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old March 29th, 2013, 3:13 pm
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

It will be sad to see COS go. I had many great times here on this site, not to mention all of the great people that I've met. It's the end of an era, I suppose.

Thank you to all of those people who kept this site running over the years. I know, at times, that it wasn't an easy task.

Peeves wuz here!

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old March 29th, 2013, 3:17 pm
Seventh Year

It has been over a year and a half since I last sneaked in here, but I heard the news on facebook and I thought I'd drop by.

This site gave me many, many friends (several of which I still maintain), long very entertaining afternoons, a knack for debate and international affairs (that to some extent influenced what I went on to study in university), and far too many good memories for me to list. It was a great place to be and while I eventually wandered away from it, I'll always treasure those.

My thanks to the other members, to the staff, but above all to you Matt for putting this together and carrying it on your shoulder all these years. Now I hope you get the rest you very well deserve!

Old March 29th, 2013, 3:17 pm
Snidget of Champions

I am very sad and sorry to read this news, but I completely understand your position, Morgoth. I truly want to thank you, all the moderators and ex-moderators, and the users for a fantastic experience. CoS really is my haven on the Internet, and my haven within the Harry Potter fandom. You created a near-perfect site, in my opinion, for civilized and stimulating discussion. It helps keep my own fanatacism alive, so I will be very sorry to part with it. I wish everyone the best of luck in the future, and I hope we can somehow continue our Potter discussions.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old March 29th, 2013, 3:21 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

So sad! I will miss coming here to read fine discussions, play games and looking at the funny photos!
good-bye and good-luck to every one!

Closed Thread
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services