Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Can Snape really be trusted?

Old June 27th, 2003, 8:31 pm
First Year

Can Snape really be trusted?

I know everytime we suspect Snape it ends up that he really is working for good but what if thats just a set up for at the very end the seventh time we question him we write it off as no way he can't be and he really is?!?!

I mean dumbledore trusts him but only to a point. He won't let him be dada teacher even when the only other options are :censored:? Is it like dumbledore fears if snape gets to close to his old ways he'll trade?
Like how you don't let an acholic (sp?) tend bar?

Snape refers to voldemort as "the dark lord"? what's up that??

snape is friends with Lucius Malfoy a known death eater? If snape is a trader to them how come their still friends?

just wondering what yall think

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2003, 8:40 pm
First Year

Why is Dumbledore trusting Snape so much?

When reading OOP I wondered why was Dumbledore trusting Snape so much. I don't know if you have already discussed this issue, I'm new in this forum. I don't think it's just because he is spying on Voldermort, I think there's something more but I can't guess what!!!

PS Sorry for my English but I'm Italian and I don't practice it much

Old June 27th, 2003, 8:45 pm
Second Year

I've been convinced that Snape is good. However, the recent interview makes me doubt it. I don't know if it is that he is a traitor, but rather he never left the Death Eaters. I think the fact that Snape is a master of Occulemency (sp) means we should question everything about him, and never settle on an answer. Always question.

Old June 27th, 2003, 8:50 pm
Seventh Year

Even though I'm not Snape's number one fan, I would feel cheated if he turned out to be bad after all. Maybe JKR's hint meant just that Snape will never become a nice guy despite being good, or that we will learn what he did as a DE, or that his bitterness will lead to a tragedy.

My chief weapon is shipping neutrality...and avoidance of over-analysis. My two weapons are shipping neutrality, avoidance of over-analysis, and a sense of humour. My three weapons are shipping neutrality, avoidance of over-analysis, and a sense of humour...and an almost fanatical devotion to Remus Lupin. Among my weapons are...
...I'll come in again.
Old June 27th, 2003, 8:52 pm
Second Year

Welcome, and your English is great!

I think there is a reason that Dumbldore trusts Snape. I just have no clue as to why. I think it has something to do with the "great personal risk" Snape took to turn to the good side.

Old June 28th, 2003, 6:40 am
First Year

Well, Dumbledore has his reason, hadn't he????

I am from Hong Kong, may be the english is bad.......I regret for that..

Old June 28th, 2003, 5:03 pm
Third Year

Oh no he should not trust Snape. All along Book 1 (well the movie- I regretably saw that first) I was convinced that Snape was evil. His actions in POA. Always DD defended him then there is the "Dark Lord." Only the death eaters call V the Dark Lord (ytes, Ludo Bagman included). What about the comment that it seemed like Snape was opening up Harry's mind more than he was teaching him to close it? Snape has clearly returned to fold. I would even venture that it is possible that he is a souble agent- now spying for Voldemort.

Old June 28th, 2003, 5:47 pm
Fourth Year

Yes, Dumbledore is wise, he has his own ways..... I don't think Snape is evil, he probably just suffers from the bad memories of James......

Old June 28th, 2003, 5:53 pm
Second Year

Stephen Fry (heavily paraphrased):
Then there's characters like Snape, who are bad but there is a certain ambiguity about him. You can't quite decide because there's something quite sad about him. Something very lonely. We're slowly (after five books) getting the idea that maybe he is not so bad after all.

JK Rowling:
Yes, but you shouldn't think he's too nice. Let me just say that. It is worth keeping an eye on old Severus Snape, definitely.

^That's from the webcast with J.K. Rowling a couple of days ago.

I think Snape is just a very bitter, cynical, middle-aged man, who's trapped in the past.

Old June 28th, 2003, 5:57 pm
First Year

I think Snape is kinda like Fudge/Umbridge when it comes to Harry, his friends, and the Marauders. I don't think Snape will ever be able to see clearly and think straight when dealing with our heroes. That doesn't mean that Snape is working for Voldemort, it just means that Snape has a weakness that I think Voldemort is going to exploit. And Snape hates being weak, so he might wind up redeeming himself after all.

Old June 28th, 2003, 6:00 pm
Third Year

Is Dumbledore in Snapes Debt for saving his life....he would be obliged to believe that he supports him.

It is a good place to keep an eye on him, but both of them play mind games (blocking and probing)

Old June 28th, 2003, 6:06 pm
Fourth Year

I think Snape is TRYING to be good, but perhaps he still has some evil in him. So DD trusts him because he knows that Snape has good intentions, but he won't let him be DADA teacher because he's afraid that might make Snape evil again.

Also, Snape is probably good friends with Malfoy so he can find out information about Voldemort and help the ORder.

I trull think he is a good guy!

Old June 28th, 2003, 6:07 pm
First Year

I agree with what catwalkk said. One thing that book V definitely highlighted was how fallibility was an inherent trait in all human beings, in both wizards and muggles alike. Dumbledore himself said that he'd underestimated Snape's hatred for James, and the lengths to which that hatred has manifested itself in Potter Junior, and as such even though Dumbledore TRUSTS Snape that trust might not be enough to prevent Snape from committing some tragic act in the heat of the moment.

Nevertheless, I think another reason Dumblebore might trust Snape might have to do with Snape's life debt to James. When Harry saved Peter in PoA, Dumbledore said that such an act creates a bond between the two wizards, enforced by a magic more powerful than Harry could ever imagine. Therefore, even though James is dead, who's to say that that debt didn't carry over to Harry? I'm not really familiar with the logistics of wizarding debts, but hey, you never know.

I believe that Harry won't die in book seven as many people seem to be speculating. Rather, perhaps a sacrifice by either Snape or Pettigrew on account of that 'life debt' might be in order?

Old June 28th, 2003, 6:13 pm
First Year

I belive Snape is good.
Like most middle aged men who did'nt end up in life where he thought he'd be, became bitter and blames others for his faults.

I think that because he is a master of Occulemency (and probley only second to that of Dumbledore) it allows him to keep the Spy contact within the DE org.

With Malfoy Sr (Snape's main contact) being caught now... does this make it more dangourus for Snape. Yes, Snape will go deeper into darkness and may have to lay down his life for someone.

Snape is a man with a good heart, he just does not show it well. And I think readers can only see this depending upon life experiances. Some kids may pick up on this right away or some adults may never pick up on it.

Old June 29th, 2003, 12:03 am
Sixth Year

Yeh, I noticed Snape calls Voldie the "Dark Lord" and doesn't that have red herring written all over it. Dumbledore may have made mistakes but he hasn't turned into a blithering moron. Surely somebody has pointed this tendency of Death Eaters to call Voldie "Dark Lord" before now.

Old June 29th, 2003, 12:16 am
First Year

I always thought Dumbeldore was right for trusting Snape. I thought he was misunderstood and must have done something really good for Dumbeldore to always be on his side. After rereading Ootp I am not so sure anymore. Snape refused to give Harry any more lessons even though he knew how very important they were, When everyone went to ministy to save Harry, Snape went to the forest to look for Harry, why didn't he find Umbridge then ( Dumbeldore went to get her himself) He can block Voldermorts finding out he is lying so I am sure he could block Dumbeldores too. There is more that I found odd but I can't think of them right now.

Old June 29th, 2003, 12:29 am
Second Year

Quote:
When everyone went to ministy to save Harry, Snape went to the forest to look for Harry, why didn't he find Umbridge then
Why would he want to?

Seriously, though, Umbridge was hardly Snape's priority at the moment. And he owed her no loyalty or favors. Students in the school are his responsibility, as is working toward the goals of the Order as far as keeping Harry alive. The High Inquisitor was not his problem.

Old June 29th, 2003, 12:54 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally posted by Neila Weiss (original post)
Nevertheless, I think another reason Dumblebore might trust Snape might have to do with Snape's life debt to James. When Harry saved Peter in PoA, Dumbledore said that such an act creates a bond between the two wizards, enforced by a magic more powerful than Harry could ever imagine. Therefore, even though James is dead, who's to say that that debt didn't carry over to Harry? I'm not really familiar with the logistics of wizarding debts, but hey, you never know.
I believe Snape does owe James and now Harry a life debt, but if Snape is a traitor then that would be all the more reason to try and repay that life debt before Ol' Cold, White n' Pastey came back into power. That's why Snape tried to save him as early as possible, back in Harry's first year. Once he got it out of the way, he could go back to being a spy for Voldie without the guilt of the Life Debt over his head. Now, he might be forced to save Harry's life from his master, the Dark Lord. What a conundrum that would be... :P

I really do believe that after the events of book 5, and what JKR has said in the webcast that Snape is a double agent. We're just being lead to believe he's a good guy. *really bummed*

P is for Prue, trampled flat in a brawl.
~Edward Gorey, The Gashlycrumb Tinies
Old July 2nd, 2003, 3:42 pm
Second Year

Snape and why Dumbledore trusts him

I Was just thinking after i saw Hermione's sneak charm on Marietta that maybe Snape could have had someone put one on him to prove his loyalty. When Harry asks Dumbledore how does he trust Snape. He says something along the lines that is something between him and Snape and not really any of Harry's business. Do you think Snape or Dumbledore would do this, it would be a way for Snape to show that he had changed his ways, because we saw that Crouch Sr. wasn't lenient at all and he must have done something to convince Crouch that he was on the good side? What does everyone think? I did a check and couldn't find this theory anywhere else.

[IMG]http://[/IMG] Dreams are Wiser than men

Old July 2nd, 2003, 3:57 pm
Sixth Year

Somehow, I don't believe Dumbledore is the person who would stick "sneak charms" or something of the sort onto a person to check their loyalty. That's far below his morals.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives