Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Do you think Voldemort knows that Snape is a spy?

Old October 9th, 2004, 8:33 am
Second Year

Do you think Voldemort knows that Snape is a spy.

Here is what i think will happen. Voldemort doesn't know for i think Snape was one of the D.E who didn't speak. Dumbledore knew he was back before harry returned. In Book six Snapes cover is blown. Harry may cause Dumbledore's death and Snape will have to save Harry for he promised Dumbledore he'd help him. I think Snape keeps his word. Despite being a death eater once. Snapes cover will be blown but he will have to finish preparing Harry for his battle with Voldemort. That is finishining Occlmency and teaching harrys some illegal curses and Blocking ones.

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2004, 5:46 pm
Secret Keeper

One of the things I have thought about is how Voldemort will try and prove Snape is a spy because in GoF he was not sure. I think Voldemort may set Snape a terrible task to prove his loyalty to Voldemort and not blow his cover, whether that means killing an order member or a Weasley perhaps. I doubt Voldemort would set Snape the impossible task of killing Dumbledore though but I just wonder how far Dumbledore would expect Snape to go so as not to blow his cover as a spy.

Old October 12th, 2004, 7:04 pm
Sixth Year

Personally, I think that Snape is a double-agent.

Snape is extremely skilled at Legimens and Occlumency, so for him to hide the truth from both Voldemort and Dumbledore will not be a problem. I think Voldemort would suspect Snape is a spy but try to [in V's mind] use Snape to gather information about Dumbledore and Harry. If V 'accepts' Snape back into the DE, he can then feed specific bits of information to Snape, assuming Snape will take that info back to Dumbledore. V would then also hear the infomation that Snape will offer about Hogwarts, Harry, etc and possible use it for his own means.

Bring it.

[image courtesy of ArryGrotter]

Old October 13th, 2004, 12:55 am
First Year

i dont think he will actually i do

Old October 13th, 2004, 1:05 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyHarry
Personally, I think that Snape is a double-agent.

Snape is extremely skilled at Legimens and Occlumency, so for him to hide the truth from both Voldemort and Dumbledore will not be a problem. I think Voldemort would suspect Snape is a spy but try to [in V's mind] use Snape to gather information about Dumbledore and Harry. If V 'accepts' Snape back into the DE, he can then feed specific bits of information to Snape, assuming Snape will take that info back to Dumbledore. V would then also hear the infomation that Snape will offer about Hogwarts, Harry, etc and possible use it for his own means.
You're forgetting one thing. The two wizards you just mentioned (Voldemort and Dumbledore) are both older and more experienced at Occlumency and Legilimency. They're also more powerful, and have a lot of skills other than those two to detect when someone is lying. And while Snape may be a spy for the order, who said he had to be within 20 miles of the DE's and Voldemort to do so? I suspect there's a magical method of spying on someone that doesn't require you to be anywhere near them to do so. In fact, I can name one- Fred & George have extendable ears. If they can come up with something like that, Snape may have been able to remove himself well and away from the meetings while still listening in. Which takes any contact between Voldemort and Snape out of the question.

Last edited by McKinnon02; October 13th, 2004 at 1:12 am.
Old October 13th, 2004, 1:06 am
First Year

OK honestly, I think Snape is a good guy at heart. Sure hes a total jerk to Harry and all but I think that we can expect semi nice things from him in the future. Of course I think the same thing about Draco Malfoy too...

Old October 13th, 2004, 1:07 am
Banned

I dunno... for Voldemort not to know or at least suspect Snape, Snape should be more powerful (in legilimency and occlumency, jeez what words, lol) than him.
Snape is not more powerful or wiser than Voldemort.
If Voldemort is even better at those... then he won't have a problem finding out what Snape really thinks.

Then again... if Voldy would know that Snape is lying to his face, Snape wouldn't be here anymore.

I'm thinking Snape is using something else to fool Voldemort, some other way.

OR... Voldy knows... and Snape's the one who's left forever and will be killed. And only Hogwarts and DD are protecting him right now.

Old October 13th, 2004, 1:38 am
Curse Breaker

For those who think Snape's cover will be blown in Book 6: Have you read Book 1?!? His cover was blown in his confrontations with Quirrellmort! Snape was trying to prevent Voldemort's return and Voldemort should have been well aware of Snape's attempts to stop him. (Forget the movie presentation of the Quirrellmort scene.)

Old October 13th, 2004, 1:41 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyg
For those who think Snape's cover will be blown in Book 6: Have you read Book 1?!? His cover was blown in his confrontations with Quirrellmort! Snape was trying to prevent Voldemort's return and Voldemort should have been well aware of Snape's attempts to stop him. (Forget the movie presentation of the Quirrellmort scene.)
So that means... Snape is really working for Voldemort?

Cause I can't see him being still alive otherwise

Old October 13th, 2004, 1:44 am
Curse Breaker

For those who think all DE's are aware of Snape being a traitor to their cause: Many may not even know his name. (Karkaroff says this, though, and he may be quite a liar--especially when trying to save his own hide.) Others may have never seen his face (they show up with hoods on when they work together). Since Voldemort did not name Snape as the traitor.....[Sorry, I should have used "one who has left me forever] instead of traitor.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxs
So that means... Snape is really working for Voldemort?

Cause I can't see him being still alive otherwise
I suppose we can't really be sure which 'side' Snape is on. Hard to tell with a 'double' agent !
No, I agree with previous posts that Voldemort got sidetracked with the prophecy. I just can't see how Snape's cover will be blown in Book 6 when it was blown back in Book 1.

Old October 13th, 2004, 1:51 am
Banned

Quote:
No, I agree with previous posts that Voldemort got sidetracked with the prophecy.
Might be, yes

I just can't see Snape being truly evil... no, no, lol... not Snapey...

Old October 13th, 2004, 2:05 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror Williamson
My personal prediction on this matter is that if caught by You-Know-Who, Snape will most certainly die. Perhaps tortured to death? I also don't think that Snape is actually such a bad man as Harry thinks, and would willingly give up his life to save Harry. (Just take a look at my siggy. I am a member of the Severus Snape Appreciation Society.)
I don't think this is far fetched at all. The dramatic implications of this are tremendous - imagine how much more harry's world would be turned upside down if something like that were to happen! Also, "severus snape" roughly means "cutting at the neck" - Snape has a very "cutting" personality, but could this also be some kind of foreshadowing of his fate?

I think it's pretty clear that Snape is the DE that "left forever," unless there is some mystery character. But then you have to ask, how could Snape escape LV for a whole year? I would imagine he rarely leaves hogwarts except on super secret stealth missions . . . perhaps doing stuff with lupin/tonks/moody.

Last edited by phrodo; October 13th, 2004 at 4:02 am.
Old October 13th, 2004, 2:56 am
First Year

i think it would be a considerable oversight for voldemort not to suspect snape. of course, to the reader, it is perfectly obvious, whereas it might not be for the dark lord. still, you would think voldemort and his supporters would suspect something, what with snape's proximity to dumbledore. since dumbledore doesn't object to snape in any way, one might be suspicious that dumbledore didn't have a reason to suspect him. to hold that up, i might add that JKR doesn't make dumbledore appear to be the kind of person to let something important like that go unnoticed.

Old October 13th, 2004, 4:31 am
Sixth Year

So simple. Snape is spying for DD, but he conviced LV that he's spying for him against DD. Since he's skilled at protecting his thoughts everyone just has to take his word for it. Okay, obviously it's not that simple, but I think that the general idea.

Old October 13th, 2004, 5:15 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinnon02
You're forgetting one thing. The two wizards you just mentioned (Voldemort and Dumbledore) are both older and more experienced at Occlumency and Legilimency.
Not forgotten here. I suspect that LV is so over-confident that he couldn't comprehend how Snape could fool him. I think that Snape is just so good at making himself useful to both sides, neither have really suspected him. After all, how could Snape fool the two greatest Legilimens of all time? Or, both sides suspect him and are using him, in which case-- he's good as dead.

Quote:
Are you assuming that Snape doesn't know that LV is possessing Quirrell? I think it makes sense to consider the possibility that he knew what was up. As far as LV knows, though, Snape is just trying to keep Quirrell from stealing the stone. And really, we don't get the whole conversation. (Much of my concept regarding this incident is shaped by the Double-OO Sevie Red Hen article.)

Old October 13th, 2004, 5:36 am
Fallen Angel

Quote:
In SS/PS, did Snape ever say anything to Quirrell that couldn't possibly be construed to mean that he thought Quirrell was after the stone for himself? Did Snape definitely incriminate himself?

Old October 13th, 2004, 5:39 am
First Year

If Voldemort knows Snape is a spy, Snape would have figured that out and he'd be out of there pretty quickly.

Old October 13th, 2004, 1:22 pm
Sixth Year

Something Voldemort alluded to in GoF I think, made me think he might know Snape is a spy. If he does know, he may be keeping him around for good measure. If he doesn't Snape is a very crafty spy

Just, don't leave. Don't leave.

And true love waits, in haunted attics. And true love lives, on lollipops and crisps.

True Love Waits- Radiohead

Planting Seeds of Doubt (Marauder Fic)

SORRY JESSICA. JACK BELONGS TO LOU.
Old October 13th, 2004, 1:46 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lovegood
Something Voldemort alluded to in GoF I think, made me think he might know Snape is a spy.
Can you remember what it was? (Or are you on your way to look it up?)

Editorials that I recommend: Motivation Matters, by Subtle Science; Drama of the mind, by The Black Adder; The tantalizing Tantalus clue by Silver Ink Pot. My unpublished editorials: The Knights of Walpurgis , Witch hunters and Death Eaters, Some Wounds Run Too Deep For The Healing

My avatar is made by Thestralgrin

<3 My beloved little son Magnus - Every day with him is magical <3
Old October 13th, 2004, 1:47 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauderlupin
So simple. Snape is spying for DD, but he conviced LV that he's spying for him against DD. Since he's skilled at protecting his thoughts everyone just has to take his word for it. Okay, obviously it's not that simple, but I think that the general idea.
There's a really interesting essay written that follows along these lines. Snape is in essence portraying himself as a spy for both sides. The premise follows that Snape took the job at Hogwarts under LV's direction, and that both DD and LV think Snape is spy for their perspective sides. It's a really interesting read.

Double-00 Sevie:

I'd recommend it for anyone who is questioning Snape. It tries to answer all the big questions, including the Quirrellmort scenario, the graveyard, everything. Whether it turns out to be true or not, I have no idea, but it is a good read.

I keep see-sawing in what I think is going on with Snape. I tend to believe that he was in fact in the graveyard. (I realize you can't apparate inside Hogwarts, but who's to say he didn't leave the grounds to apparate.) I think LV believes Snape is working for him still, otherwise, why is he still alive? I am hoping that Snape is trustworthy for DD's side and that Snape won't stab DD and his trust in the back, but we shall see. My mind is still pretty open on the subject.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives