Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

How/why will Harry leave Privet Drive this time?

Old January 14th, 2005, 10:34 pm
First Year

Just had a really funny thought related to this thread - What would happen if the Dursleys did not want harry to go, lets say that they questioned him on his return from school about, how does Uncle Vernon describe him -oh yes- Lord Voldething's return? I imagine that this would happen due to last years events in Little Whinging. And say (now this is far fetched but go with me) that the Dursleys become terrified of an attack on themselves so they demand that Harry stays with them, to protect them. Therefore Harry is delighted to leave them because I'm sure he would take great delight in telling them NO WAY!!

Old January 14th, 2005, 10:36 pm
First Year

maybe voldemort will bake him cupcakes and invite him over for tea.

Old January 14th, 2005, 10:37 pm
Second Year

aaaw how sweet =) lol

Old January 14th, 2005, 11:08 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Let's combine some information we got:

Rowling wanted to use the first chapter of book 6 before, but she says it finally fits
Harry will have the shortest stay with the dursleys till yet, so he will probably leave the first chapter

This means that leaving the dursleys can't have anything to do with 'recent events' in book 6 (in that case she wouldn't be able to use the chapter before).

Rowling also said it would be a nice reason harry has to leave the dursleys. We have to search in the corner of special events that could happen in any book, like the Quiditch world cup was.
Actually, I think the chapter she is referring to is a flashback. Chapter 2 will probably involve present day and the Dursley's.

Old January 15th, 2005, 5:47 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
harry could easily find some mode of transportation from privet drive. he could easily use floo powder, or even fly on his broomstick. there are a number of different ways that he can leave.
Yes, but they'd be concerned about which mode of transport is the safest way to travel, what with LV on the loose.

PURE DEMOCRACY: You have two cows. Your neighbors decide who gets the milk.

PURE COMMUNISM: You have two cows. Your neighbors help you take care of them, and you all share the milk.

DICTATORSHIP: You have two cows. The government takes both and shoots you.

Search | The Forum Rules | Signature Content Policy | Hogsmeade Review Guidelines | Post/Year List

Feel free to owl me if you want some help and I'll try my best to give you a hand

Old January 15th, 2005, 10:33 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygo72
Actually, I think the chapter she is referring to is a flashback. Chapter 2 will probably involve present day and the Dursley's.
I agree with this. I have a feeling it will be a flashback to Dumbledores defeat of Grindewald or to the founders of Hogwarts. In those two time periods there is a lot we don't know about and I am certain we are going to learn more about. Maybe the quote from JKR's website -
Quote:
He looked rather like an old lion...
will be part of the flashback.

On why Harry will leave - I'm still convinced he will leave after a week as that is all he needs to stay for to keep the charm working. He will be safer somewhere else with other wizards (the Burrow, Grimauld Place etc) than he will be in Privet Drive as there is no one there to protect him and Dementors have already found their way there. I don't know what the reason will be but extra defence against the Dark Arts sounds good. Maybe all students will be given the oppertunity to go to Hogwarts early for training.

I don't think he will leave on his own, someone will come for him.

As an aside, what month/date does Hogwarts finish for summer and start again after summer?

Last edited by gingerbookworm; January 17th, 2005 at 3:03 pm.
Old January 15th, 2005, 11:01 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbookworm
I agree with this. I have a feeling it will be a flashback to Dumbledores defeat of Grindewald or to the founders of Hogwarts.
But how would Harry be able to see Dumbledore defeating Grindelward? Well, I guess it could be possible if he jumps into Dumbledore's pensieve again, but I doubt it. And how would this be crucial to the overall plot?

"We'll be there, Harry"
Old January 15th, 2005, 11:15 am
Fifth Year

dont think voldie (or jo) is rash enough to do something like blow up the grangers that early on in the book. jo likes slow beginnings, if u guys havent noticed. theres always a hot, sleepy quality to the first chapter (2nd for SS/PS and GoF). nah, i think this time the reason will be more pleasant. perhaps a another stay in the burrow or in diagon alley. or maybe he and petunia will have a talk (they ought to by now. dumbledore, im sure, will have already informed petunia about voldie and black) which will lead to something. OR since chapter 2 is called "spinners end" in which "spinners" has NO apostrophe, he will go to a PLACE called spinners end (perhaps a street like grimmauld place).

Old January 15th, 2005, 6:35 pm
Second Year

Quote:
dont think voldie (or jo) is rash enough to do something like blow up the grangers that early on in the book. jo likes slow beginnings, if u guys havent noticed. theres always a hot, sleepy quality to the first chapter (2nd for SS/PS and GoF)
Exactly why she should start HBP off with a bang! Hehe, it would keep us on our toes, wouldn't it?

Old January 15th, 2005, 9:04 pm
Fourth Year

Harry will definately leave Privet Drive during book 6 for good reasons, because JKR said so.

And I'm sticking firm with my theory that Harry will leave because of his OWL's results:
Quote:
"An owl will be sent to you some time in July," said Professor McGonnagal.

Harry imagined sitting in his bedroom in Privet Drive in six weeks' time, waiting for his O.W.L. results. Well, he thought dully, at least he would be sure of one bit of post next summer...(OotP-ch.31)
Maybe there will be something about his OWL's results that would let him go to Hogwarts early.

"Fell out of bed, butterfly bandage, but don't worry
You'll never remember, your head is far too blurry
Put him in the back of a squad car, restrain that man
He needs his head put through a cat scan
Hey editor, I'm undeniable, hey doctor, I'm certifiable"
Old January 16th, 2005, 2:13 am
Second Year

Maybe. But what about his OWLs? That they were dreadful? Or that they were perfect? Hmm.....

Old January 16th, 2005, 10:43 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Maybe. But what about his OWLs? That they were dreadful? Or that they were perfect? Hmm.....
Even if they were either i can't see any reason why he should go back before everyone else, unless of course he was getting trained for the war at school while everyone else was gone...although i can't see that as a really 'pleasant' reason especially if Professor Snape is involved. I admit, though, that Harry likes school a lot better than he likes his aunt and uncle's house.

PURE DEMOCRACY: You have two cows. Your neighbors decide who gets the milk.

PURE COMMUNISM: You have two cows. Your neighbors help you take care of them, and you all share the milk.

DICTATORSHIP: You have two cows. The government takes both and shoots you.

Search | The Forum Rules | Signature Content Policy | Hogsmeade Review Guidelines | Post/Year List

Feel free to owl me if you want some help and I'll try my best to give you a hand

Old January 16th, 2005, 9:07 pm
Second Year

She did not say a good or happy reason. She said more pleasant. Something horrible can be more pleasant than a trial where he could get kicked out of school.

Old January 17th, 2005, 12:53 am
Fourth Year

Hmm...Probably anything that will blow his head. (figure of speach:P) How much more uncalled for visits can there be? Or, what other secrets are going on behind Harry's back that will cause him to go on a rampage to Ron's house? hmm..you've got me thinking now. What else COULD happen?

Until you do, you'll just be clinging on...You'll never fly.
So what you have to figure out is what are you holding onto?
And how you are going to let go."
Old January 17th, 2005, 3:10 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlite
But how would Harry be able to see Dumbledore defeating Grindelward? Well, I guess it could be possible if he jumps into Dumbledore's pensieve again, but I doubt it. And how would this be crucial to the overall plot?
I didn't say that Harry would see it. After all he can only see what was happening with Voldemort bacause they are connected. It works both ways. However, I meant that that could be how the book starts. with us seeing it. Maybe Dumbledore tells Harry or them all, maybe he doesn't tell them till a few chapters into the book when Harry has left privet drive. Maybe it is never mentioned at all.

I don't know what the relevence would be to the whole plot but he is mentioned in passing often enough that you would think we might learn more about it. Maybe the way Dumble doe defeated Grindewald will be how Harry can vanquish Voldemort. Note how I don't say kill. I don't think it has ever directly said kill in the books. That is probably for a reason.

Old January 17th, 2005, 3:35 pm
Second Year

"-and either must die at the hands of the other, for neither can live while the other survives."

Yep, there's gonna be death involved. Poor Harry.

Check out my fics here
Old January 17th, 2005, 3:50 pm
Second Year

oh yeah. Thanks. I knew that lol.

I remember where my thinking came from though as ages ago I discussed with people my thoughts that 'die' could mean that Voldemort dies but Tom Riddel lives. Tom Ridel took on a new identity when he chose to become Voldemort. He also took those measures to prevent him dying which at the same time distorted him physically so he became completely unrecognisable as Tom Riddel. Prophecies speak in such a way that you need to interperet everything it says and not take it at face value. Still, Tom Riddel wasn't a nice character either.

I also thought that it could just refer to him losing all power and magical ability thus taking away his identity...

Of course it could just mean die!

Old January 17th, 2005, 4:40 pm
Second Year

True...but I kind of think that Harry's going to have to finish him off for good. I don't think LV and Tom Riddle are really different people any more than someone is a different person after they get plastic surgury, or something. LV looks different, he has different abilities, but deep down inside, he is Tom Riddle. Not, as you said, that that's particularly comforting.

Actually, I think it would be tremendously entertaining if everything ended up depending on Neville, but that's just me. I doubt we'll find out the true meaning of the prophesy until the very end of the 7th book.

Check out my fics here
Old January 17th, 2005, 5:47 pm
First Year

Maybe he'll be asked to play for the English Quidditch national team. I mean, if Krum started playing in his sixth year at school (because he was already a star by the beggining of his seventh year), why not Harry??? I mean, JKR did say it was going to be pleasent

Old January 17th, 2005, 6:45 pm
Second Year

I Think he will be taken to Hogwarts and may spend the summer, around the castle. We never know he might something important such as a particular painting, although i doubt it.
Personally my strongest instinct is he will be allowed to go to the Burrow or 12 Grimmauld place to while away the time, but he will have to spend some time at No. 4 for the protection against Dumbledore.

Though it might be something completely unexpected like taken to the MoM to take the Apparition test a full year early afterall he does need to get out of places faster than most and Apparition would aid him in this.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies