Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

How/why will Harry leave Privet Drive this time?

Old March 11th, 2004, 9:36 pm
Fifth Year

He'll probably stay at Privet for a week and then Hermione or anyone from the Order will fetch him up, because she said so herself that they'll see him very soon. They need to train him for his destiny with Voldy as early as possible.

Old March 11th, 2004, 11:18 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godrics_Heiress
He'll probably stay at Privet for a week and then Hermione or anyone from the Order will fetch him up, because she said so herself that they'll see him very soon. They need to train him for his destiny with Voldy as early as possible.

wow this sounds really cool!
imagine harry being trained and taught some fabulous new spells and hexes by dumbledore himself and lupin the whole summer in private and secret lessons ...
or imagine tonks showing him how to conceal and to diguise himself
or imagine him practising the dark arts on his own ...

oh, well, this is of course just possible, if the law of underage whizardry gets changed before ;-))

I really like this idea pretty much! This would just be mega-cool ...

Old March 11th, 2004, 11:34 pm
First Year

another possibility i was thinking of was that in her recent interview, jk said that when muggleborns recieve their hogwarts letter, a messenger is sent to explain everything to their parents. we have a possible wizard in harry's neighbourhood - mark evans. Hes ten years old in ootp, so during the summer hell be old enough to recieve his hogwarts letter. so perhaps the messenger will take harry with him. now who could this guardian be. perhaps hagrid - seeing as hed probably like to drop in on harry and we did see him acting in this capacity for harry. perhaps someone else in the order. perhaps snape (oooh wouldnt harry love that). or perhaps a new character, maybe even the new dada teacher? theres supposed to be unexpected stuff coming up with the durseleys, what if petunia knew the messenger?

Old March 11th, 2004, 11:56 pm
Banned

Shortest stay sounds like about three weeks to me. I refuse to believe that Dumbledore entirely trusts the combination of the Petunia-bloodlines connection and irregular watch by Figg and others. The bloodline connection is unbeatable, of course - as long as Harry considers the Dursley house his home. And there is a very real possibility that Harry, longing for contact with the magical world, will no longer consider it his home. It's a fine line, and no one will really know for sure exactly when it has been crossed, so while pulling Harry out of Privet Drive may exacerbate the problem, I still think that the connection is currently tenuous enough to forget the whole deal and get Harry to the Order (or the Burrow).

Old March 12th, 2004, 1:59 am
Second Year

Interesting are we sure that petunia needs to be around or is it just where Harry calls home. If it is then possibly Harry could shift his view of home to Hogwarts and be immune there. That would be cool.

Old March 12th, 2004, 3:22 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Maven*
Interesting are we sure that petunia needs to be around or is it just where Harry calls home. If it is then possibly Harry could shift his view of home to Hogwarts and be immune there. That would be cool.
No, look at it this way: if Harry shifts his view of home to Hogwarts, he loses the immunity provided by Petunias home. He's safe (as in bloodline safe) nowhere if he shifts his view like that. I don't think it really works that way. If the spell works on Harry's feelings, then he's only safe in Petunia's home as long as he feel at home there. Seeing as the Dursley's have always tried to make sure he never felt at home in his life, I doubt that it works that way. He can call the place home as long as Petunia is allowing it. I think calling it home is strictly being allowed to reside there.

Old March 12th, 2004, 10:12 am
Second Year

I'd personally like to see Ginny involved in the first part of the book somehow. I would love to see her come and get Harry, perhaps. Maybe she would run away and go get him without anyone knowing. I don't know why she would do that and I don't have anything to base this on, but I just think it would be cool.

One thing mentioned earlier in this thread before JKR's last interview was that Hermione's parents might get attacked. I think something like this is likely to happen. I don't know if it would be a reason for Harry to leave the Dursley's, but I expect it to happen sometime in book six. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the muggle family members of students (perhaps students of the DA especially) were to be harmed or murdered. I mean, these would be muggles who know about the wizarding world. Could these muggles pose some kind of threat to Voldemort, perhaps? I dont' know.

What ever happened to that list of members in the DA that Hermione had? I don't remember. If DE's got hold of that list, they might go kill the muggle parents. Seamus' dad is a muggle as well as Hermione's parents. I think maybe the Creavey brothers might be muggle born. I can't quite remember. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. Sorry.

Old March 12th, 2004, 12:19 pm
Fourth Year

I think Harry'll get a false vision of R/H getting attacked and this will draw him outta Privet Drive.

Linkin Park, Texas '03.
Old March 12th, 2004, 2:54 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Maven*
Dumbledore said: "While you can still call home the place where your mother's blood dwells, there you cannot be touched or harmed by Voldemort ... You need return there only once a year, but as long as you can still call it home, whilst you are there he cannot hurt you"

Obviously for the spell to work, he has to call the place "home" where Petunia lives, so I don't think that it would work if he shifted his view of home to Hogwarts, as Petunia doesn't live there. Actually I think he has always considered Hogwarts more of a home than Privet Drive ever since he first went there, but as long as he at least visits his aunt once a year, it doesn't seem to matter if he doesn't like it there or if the Dursleys don't want him there as long as they let him stay.

Old March 12th, 2004, 6:53 pm
Fifth Year

Thank God he didn't need to check it himself (Voldy nor DE showed at Privet Drive 4), but we know the spell works - when uncle Vernon were trying to constrict Harry, he "yelped and released Harry as though he had received an electric shock". Not very sophisticated, but effective.

Old March 12th, 2004, 8:23 pm
Second Year

I don't know if that's because of dumbledore's spell, though. I don't think that would protect him from uncle Vernon. Probably Harry was just unknowingly doing some magic again to stop uncle Vernon choking him. I'm actually surprised that he didn't get in trouble for it.

Old March 12th, 2004, 9:12 pm
Fourth Year

I think Dumbledore won't want to make the same mistake twice. He let Harry brood too long over the course of OoTP. He'll have Harry stay at Privet Drive only as long as he has to. I'd like to see Harry leave Privet Drive before his birthday so that he can have a party.

The Holy Bible: King James Version. 2000.

The Book of the Prophet
Isaiah
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old March 13th, 2004, 1:53 am
First Year

undefinedI AGREE WHITH YOU

you can e-mail me at lilhotbell2000@yahoo.com or im me at the same e-mail

Sirius Black rocks I am a scorpio
Old March 13th, 2004, 2:04 am
Third Year

I like your opinion, Dead. Even if Dumbledore does trust the irregular watch, I doubt Mrs. Weasley or Mrs. Figg will have much confidence in it anymore, after the mistake that was made at the beginning of Book 5. I especially liked your idea that he could begin to stop considering it home... that would really be interesting to see what would happen in that instance, and also to see how he deals with what results. Even though Dumbledore explained that he had to consider Privet Drive his home, Harry can't really control that. If he didn't consider Privet Drive his home anymore, I would think the Weasleys' home (probably not Grimmauld, since Sirius's death) would be his next choice, so it would also be fascinating to see how Mrs. Weasley (who I think seems to feel most strongly about his considering their house a home) in particular would deal with the results of something she'd be likely to feel was a good thing. I would love to see that happen, in the sense of what a cool plot it could potentially create.

Last edited by Nycade05; March 13th, 2004 at 2:17 am.
Old March 13th, 2004, 2:18 am
Fifth Year

You know, Morgan LeFay might be on to something here. Because if it was just Harry doing magic unknowingly, than he sure as heck would have gotten a severe warning. We all know that the MoM was trying everything legally possible at the time to get Harry quieted; so even a slight bit of magic, even something Harry did unknowingly, I bet they would have considered 'very dangering' magic so they would have probably sent him a letter warning him. BUT, they didn't did they, so maybe the causing of Vernon to yelp of pain was really Dumbledore's seal after all. We just never know about these things, do we lol...

Old March 15th, 2004, 5:17 pm
Banned

The answer is simple: prurient

Old March 15th, 2004, 5:52 pm
Fourth Year

I haven't seen anyone mention this one so far. What if Bill Weasley and Fleur Delacour get married. Surely Harry would want/need to be present for a wedding.

The Holy Bible: King James Version. 2000.

The Book of the Prophet
Isaiah
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old March 15th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Second Year

I'm going to take a stab at something here, I might be waaay off base, but here goes:

I was never satisfied with the explanation given about Dumbledore's strange and suspicious behavior in book 5. My wild guess is that something will happen with him, somehow breaking him down and forcing him to tell Harry's whereabouts. A second secret keeper betraying Harry might bring the story around full circle, not only exposing Harry to immense danger, but forcing him to fight without his mentor in any state to help him.

Old April 1st, 2004, 2:29 pm
Second Year

I just re-read the end of book five and Moody tells Harry that if they don't hear from him in three days in a row, they'll send someone along. This is on the last page of the book.

So, maybe Harry will forget that Moody said this and he'll only be there for three days. Yippy!

Old April 1st, 2004, 7:42 pm
Third Year

Hmm...it's not likely that Harry could forget anything to do with leaving the Dursley's. Much more likely that either Dumbledore will have learned not to isolate those that need to hide out, or that something will happen to necessitate Harry's removal.

"For once, Peabody, let us work out this problem step by step, in strictly logical fashion, instead of leaping across an abyss of speculation onto an unstable stepping-stone of theory." The Mummy Case

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies