Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts

Harry Potter and the Founders' Portrait

Old August 2nd, 2006, 4:16 am
Second Year

Hey, gang. Been reading some fanfic lately as an antidote to all the theories and speculations and thought I'd weigh in with one. The founders of Hogwarts are a source of fascination to me. I hope we get to meet them in Book 7. Let me know what you think, and happy reading! Cheers, Pedagogue

Godric Gryffindor was troubled. He replayed the conversation between himself and Helga Hufflepuff that had ended only moments before.
"Surely you know what this means, Godric? He's working against us. Rowena refuses to believe it, but I know it's true. The fortifications I put in place to secure the building's foundations have been tampered with. Who else would be capable of doing it?"
"Helga, do you have any proof? We are talking about our friend and colleague here, the most powerful wizard I know . . ."
"Pffft . . . now is no time for modesty, Godric."
"You flatter me, my dear woman. But even so . . ."
"He is up to something, Godric!"
Helga Hufflepuff was rarely agitated or upset. Two dark red spots had appeared upon her cheeks, and her forehead was flushed. Her blonde hair, normally outfitted in two long plaints wound around the base of her neck in an elaborate bun, was hanging freely about her shoulders. Her golden yellow robes, embroidered with red roses and green leaves, swished as she removed herself from the chair in which she had been sitting. She walked to the window and looked down at the grounds out past the lake and into the pale sky with its weak setting sun. She had always loved spending time with Godric here in his office in the tower, chatting about new students, lessons, plans to expand the castle. Now it was different. Things were changing. Godric would not listen. Rowena would not listen. Salazar kept to himself in his dungeons, plotting, Helga was sure of it.
She turned away from the window and in doing so glanced down at her robes. Had it been only months ago when she had placed the order for his particular set of robes, golden yellow, her symbolic color, but embroidered with red roses as a tribute to Gryffindor and green leaves, a tribute to Slytherin? She faced Gryffindor, who was seated behind his large desk. She glanced up at the portrait behind Gryffindor's desk, a portrait of the four founders of Hogwart's School of Withcraft and Wizardry. They were in the shade of a great beech tree down by the lake, the outline of the castle's newly completed Great Hall in the background, Gryffindor dressed in his characteristic red, his hand resting on the handle of his ruby encrusted sword at his waist, his green eyes smiling, Ravenclaw at his right, her sleek black hair shining in the sunlight of the magnificent day, a perfect compliment to her ice blue eyes and the ice blue taffeta of her robes and the thin sapphire and diamond belt around her waist, Hufflepuff on his left holding her tiny golden cup in her delicate hands, and Slytherin separate from the rest, leaning against the beech tree itself, wearing magnificent green velvet robes trimmed with golden thread, an elaborate golden locket on a heavy gold chain around his neck. Had they ever been that happy, Helga Hufflepuff wondered? The school had just opened when Gryffindor suggested they sit for the painting and adding a rather surprising request once it was finished. "But I want the portrait to forego the usual enchantments. I don't want us moving in the portrait. I want us to forever remain in that position, frozen for all eternity, captured in the phenomenal moment of friends joined together for a common cause," he had told them. They had all agreed.
"I have proof, Godric. Magic leaves traces. You know it does."
"I am well aware that magic leaves traces, Helga. What traces did you notice?"
"Does it matter? I tell you, something evil is afoot in this castle. And Salazar is the cause of it. Heed my warnings, Godric. That portrait's becoming a lie, you know."
And in a swish of golden rustling, she had strode from the room, closing the door rather sharply behind her.
Gryffindor stroked his long auburn colored beard and came back to himself. He leaned forward and twisted his neck around to glance at the portrait above his head. Was the portrait indeed a lie? Had the four good friends, the most powerful witches and wizards of the age who had banded together to found this great school of witchcraft and wizardry, reached a parting of the ways?
A soft cry interrupted Gryffindor's thoughts. Fawkes the phoenix was glancing at him and seemed to sense his discomfort. The phoenix left the perch beside the desk and landed, with a soft thump, on the arm of Gryffindor's elaborately carved chair.
"To let Helga and Rowena know that I am well aware of Salazar's intentions may put them in danger. Salazar must not know that I know what he is up to. No, he must not."
Gryffindor lifted his hand and stoked the magnificent plumage on the bird's head. It closed its eyes and waited for its instructions.
"You know what to do."
The bird took flight immediately. Once it reached the center of the large, comfortable room, it disappeared in a flash of fire; in its wake, a single red feather floated to the floor.
In a matter of seconds, the feather, as though borne by some light, dancing wind, left the floor and floated across the room and landed in Godric Gryffindor's outstretched hand, the same hand that had only moments before stroked the bird.
Harry Potter unfastened the golden clasp of the long traveling cloak from his neck and surveyed the cottage before him. It was a large cottage by conventional standards, certainly larger that his aunt and uncle's home on Privet Drive. It looked rather like an old medieval barn someone had decided to convert into a house. Harry could hardly believe he was back again, a place he hadn't been to since he was a year old, the place where his parents died and Voldemort had had his powers ripped from him.
"For crying out loud, Hermione, I said I was sorry."
"I'm not the one you should apologize to. Harry's family was . . . er . . . moderately gracious to let us stay with them . . ."
"You call wanting to put us up in the garden shed moderately gracious? It wasn't until I had to turn that wretched talking box thing—"
"It's called a television, Ron," added Harry.
"Yeah, right, that veletision thingy, I had to turn the thing into an aardvark before they believed that any of us were of age and could do magic without getting into trouble and weren't about to put up with their old tosh about our 'abnormality' in their house!"
"Well, giving Dudley another curly pig's tail sure made my summer, mate, I can tell you that," said Harry.
"All the same," interjected Hermione, shooting Harry the nasty look she usually reserved for telling Ron off, "it wasn't the kind of present guests usually give their hosts. So this is it, Harry?"
"Yep. Godric's Hollow. Not much of a village down there, but this house is rather nice. I don't know what possessed Aunt Petunia to tell me about it and to give me the deed to the place, along with all the rest of my mum and dad's things . . ."
"Guilt probably. So, shall we go in?"
"Yeah. Let's."
Harry opened the box that his aunt and given to him and took out a small piece of parchment. He let his eyes wander across the letter that was written by his mother.

Darling, The house is yours and I hope you will enjoy it. Being that it is a magical house, it is protected so that none can enter it by stealth. This is what you must do to enter: hold your wand aloft at the door, tap the knob, and enchant, "I, Harry Potter, son of James and Lily Potter, demand entrance to this house which is mine. Expositus."

Harry did as the letter instructed. A jet of red light issued from his wand at the mention of "Expositus," and Harry, Hermione, and Ron all imagined that they heard locks clicking, not only from the handsome oak door with brass trim in front of them, but in windows as well.
"Well, here goes."
Harry opened the door and stepped into his house, followed closely by Hermione and Ron.
Harry, Ron, and Hermione all found themselves in a large, rather warm and comfortable room that reminded Harry forcibly of the Gryffindor common room. The walls were trimmed in red velvet and an elaborately patterned old wool rug of red, green, blue, and gold covered the floor. A huge stone fireplace was against the wall directly in front of them, a handsome bay window with a window seat with a big red pouffe in it on the wall to the right. An old red leather Chesterfield sofa with matching wingback chairs faced the fireplace.
"This looks a lot like . . ." started Ron.
". . . the Gryffindor common room. Yeah, it does," said Harry. "The only thing missing is the tapestries."
"Look at that huge painting above the fireplace though," said Hermione. "It's the only thing on the walls."
"Let's look at it later," said Ron. "Let's check everything out and then I'll whip us up some supper." During the stay with the Dursleys, Ron had discovered that he had a hidden talent: cooking.
"No, Ron!" said Hermione excitedly. "Look at that painting! No one in it is moving!"
"Blimey, Hermione, you're right," said Ron as they all moved in for a closer view. "That's just odd. Are you sure we're in the right place, Harry?"
"Yeah, this is the place. But I wonder why . . . hang on. Isn't that Hogwarts? I mean, it doesn't look like the whole castle has been finished, but that's definitely the Great Hall in the background."
"Harry! It's the painting of the Hogwarts founders! I read about it in Hogwarts, A History! Gryffindor insisted that the painting be done but without any of the enchantments to make the inhabitants of the paintings mobile! See, look. That's Gryffindor, see the sword! And Slytherin, I'm sure of it."
"Hermione, you're right. That's got to be Slytherin, I recognize the locket from the memories in the Pensieve!"
"But this is fascinating, Harry. I wonder how this painting ended up here. Most historians had decided that the painting didn't exist, that it was the stuff of legend. Of course, what do they know, they said the Chamber of Secrets was a legend, and we know that it actually exists."
"You asked the best question though," added Ron. "What the ruddy hell is this painting doing here?"
"I have a better question, Ron."
"What?"
Hermione and Harry exchanged significant looks.
"I'm there already, Hermione. Does this painting offer some clue about Voldemort's Horcruxes? So, which one's Ravenclaw?"
"There, the one the left, or Gryffindor's right. In the blue, I'm sure of it. Ravenclaw's colors are blue and white."
Ron pointed to the painting.
"Looks like old Serpent-tongue's separated himself from the rest of them, look. He's leaning against the tree, while the rest of them look like they're sort of leaning in together."
Hermione stepped closer to the painting, her eyes narrowed as though she were an art historian studying a particularly rare piece, which, of course, she was.
"Hogwarts, A History states that Gryffindor kept the painting in his office. He became, in essence, the first headmaster of the school and taught Defense Against the Dark Arts, which, as you can imagine, was an immensely popular subject at the time, even more popular than it is now. Not much was known about magic when the school was founded you know, and those who delved much into magic tended to delve into the darker aspects." Hermione was getting a wind now. She had been talking to the painting, but she turned to Ron and Harry, who by this time had made their way to the painting as well and were standing on either side of her. Unnoticed by either of his friends, Harry was wearing a knowing smile. His green eyes were glowing intensely.
"Okay, so before you go on, Hermione, we need some rest and some food," said Ron, stifling an immense yawn. "Harry is, I'm sure, as anxious as I am (Harry raised an eyebrow at Ron and they both grinned at each other) to hear your fascinating lecture. Seriously, I mean it!" He had noticed Hermione's now raised eyebrow. "But we're still tired and still hungry. You can't tell me you're not hungry. We spent so much time getting our stuff together that we barely had time for lunch."
"Come on Hermione, Ron's right. The eggs and toast I had for breakfast are long gone, and that sandwich didn't so much satisfy my hunger as make me angry," added Harry. "I really want to hear about the founders and the Dark Arts, particularly if your little lecture will offer some insight into Voldemort and his Horcruxes. Dumbledore told me that the school was a repository of ancient magic. He seemed to think that Voldemort might have found ways to penetrate that magic when he was at school. So, let's go look around, Ron here'll whip us up something yummy, and then we'll hear all about ancient Hogwarts, okay?"
Hermione knew enough of Ron and Harry to know that she wouldn't be able to hold their attention once the subject of food came up, so she shrugged her shoulders and sat down on the sofa.
"You two go look. I'm going to sit here for a moment."
Both Ron and Harry made their way to the long hallway that ran down the left side of the room. Together they entered a huge kitchen with an old fashioned stove, a stone sink with lion heads as the taps, and a huge wooden island in the center. Brass pots and pans hung from the ceiling.
"Excellent!" exclaimed Ron. "This is a much better kitchen than the one at the Dursley's, even the one back at the Burrow. I'll get us something together in here. You go look around, mate. I'll be fine, Harry, go on. It's your house."
"I need to do something first."
"What?"
"I need to seal the spell that makes us safe here. I don't think we're in any danger at the moment. This place, I would imagine, wouldn't hold much charm for Voldemort considering it's the place where he lost his powers."
"What will you do?" asked Hermione who had come into the kitchen and was looking about in an approving way. "This is a really nice old house, Harry. I'm surprised it's stayed as clean as it has."
"Yeah. Anyway, I've got to contact the person who's going to be the Secret Keeper. That'll make the house Unplottable again, and even if someone were to manage to find it, they could look in the window and not see us at all."
"Who've you decided?"
"Hagrid."
"How will you contact him?"
"I have my way."
Just then there was burst of fire in the middle of the room. A single red feather dropped to the floor.
"Harry! You've got Fawkes!" screeched Hermione.
"You blighter, why didn't you tell us?"
The feather lifted off the cold stone floor of the kitchen and landed in Harry's outstretched hand.
"Hagrid's been keeping him safe for me. I figured it would be best to have him stay with Hagrid. Remind Hagrid of Dumbledore, that way Dumbledore would be close to him in a way." He put the feather in his pocket.
"When did Fawkes come to you?"
"First night at the Dursleys. His song woke me up."
"But why didn't we hear it?"
"Because I think the phoenix was calling out only to me. I thought I was dreaming, and at first I was. I could see him flying toward me, I heard his song. When I woke up, he was perched on the edge of my bed."
Both Ron and Hermione had slightly surprised looks on their faces.
"Hagrid'll be here any minute. That, obviously, was the signal. Ron, you go ahead and fix some supper, I'm sure Hagrid'll be hungry. I'm going to go upstairs."
"I'll come with you, Harry," said Hermione."
Harry and Hermione, however did not have a chance to go upstairs, for at the moment a loud boom sounded at the door.
All three of them smiled and left the kitchen. Harry was the first to arrive at the front door and he flung it open. In the doorway stood Hagrid. He already had tears in his eyes and a bird on each shoulder. Fawkes the phoenix left Hagrid's right shoulder and soared around the room before landing on the pouffe in the window seat. Fawkes' brilliant red and gold plumage was the perfect compliment to the décor of the room. The other bird, Harry's snowy owl Hedwig, left Hagrid left shoulder and landed on Harry's outstretched arm.
"'S'bin so long since I've bin here. You were just a baby. Lily dead. James dead." Hagrid pulled his large spotted hankie out of his pocket and blew loudly as he stepped across the threshold.
"Come on, Hagrid. No tears," said Harry soothingly, closing the door. "We're together. Here. Now. That's what matters."
"Yeh're right, o'course, Harry. And speaking of bein' here, have you gotten so big that yeh can't give us a hug?"
Hedwig took flight and landed on the mantel once Harry started for Hagrid. Harry flung himself into Hagrid's arms and nearly had his ribs crushed. Ron and Hermione followed suit. Hagrid's smile at seeing the three of them stretched to his beetle-black eyes and made the room even warmer and more comfortable. He settled himself in the center of the chesterfield sofa.
Harry pulled his wand out of his pocket and pointed it at the stone fireplace and thought Incendio; two flashes of fire issued from his wand and a smart fire crackled in the grate. "Bit chilly out, isn't it?" he said, taking a seat on the chesterfield sofa next to Hagrid. Ron and Hermione each took a wingback chair.
"Ron was about to fix us some supper, Hagrid, but we'd better get on with the task at hand."
"Right y'are, Harry."
Harry left the sofa and kneeled in front of the fireplace, putting his wand in his left hand. Hagrid did likewise, pulling a pink umbrella from one of the inside pockets of his tent-like mole skin coat and holding it in his left hand and faced Harry. Harry pulled a piece of parchment from his right jeans pocket and laid it between them. The fire in the grate cast their shadows forward, Hagrid's massive one and Harry's smaller one. Ron and Hermione blinked and leaned slightly forward in their wingback chairs.
Harry stretched his right hand out; Hagrid took it in his right. It rather looked as though they were about to arm wrestle.
Harry looked Hagrid squarely in the eye and raised his wand high. Hagrid, his eyes fixed on Harry, did the same with the pink umbrella so that their tips were almost touching. Harry exhaled, cleared his mind, and thought about the words written on the parchment:

Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ronald Weasley are in Godric's Hollow in the house that belonged to Harry Potter's parents. Harry Potter makes Rubeus Hagrid the Keeper of this Secret.

Harry's wand, as though sensing the end of his thought, emitted an intense blue spark. Harry knew that he must not break eye contact with Hagrid or the spell would be broken, and it took all of his powers of concentration not to do so. Both Ron and Hermione, whose mouths had formed O's, were leaning forward in their chairs so much that they looked as if they were about to fall upon the floor.
The first blue spark hit the parchment. The word Harry, blue and glowing, removed itself from the parchment and levitated between Harry and Hagrid. Hagrid's pink umbrella emitted a white spark, which struck the airborne word. It trembled a bit then flew down Hagrid's slightly open mouth. After a second, a bluish white light lit up Hagrid' massive chest. At seeing Hagrid's chest light up, all the more astonishing given that he was still wearing his moleskin overcoat, Hermione audibly gasped and Ron fell completely out of his wingback chair. He lifted himself to his knees and waited.
Again, a blue spark from Harry's wand struck the parchment. This time, the word Potter lifted itself from the parchment, levitated before being struck by a white spark from Hagrid's pink umbrella, and flew down Hagrid's mouth. Again, a bluish white light in Hagrid's chest. On and on this continued until there was not a word left on the parchment.
"Blimey," said Ron once it was clear that the process was complete. "That was cool."
"Hagrid, you are now the Secret Keeper of this little order," said Harry, grinning and standing up. He pointed his wand at the now clean parchment on the floor and thought Wingardium Leviosa; it lifted and flew into the fire. He put his wand in his pocket.
"A job I willingly accept! Let some Death Eater try to get that out of me!" exclaimed Hagrid, rather heavily lifting himself from the floor
"Harry," began Hermione, "that was some seriously advanced magic. Where on earth did you learn . . ."
"Yeah, mate, you said you'd told us everything you know . . ." said Ron, sounding both slightly indignant and thoroughly impressed at the same time.
"Fawkes and now the Fidelius Charm? I mean, the Fidelius is even beyond N.E.W.T. level . . ."
"I know. I've got some things to tell you," said Harry, looking up at the portrait of the four founders above the fireplace, his eyes going from Gryffindor's ruby encrusted sword to Ravenclaw's sapphire and diamond belt. He tore his eyes from the portrait and made his way to the window seat where Fawkes was. He stroked the plumage on the bird's head and looked into its eyes.
"You know what to do."
Fawkes let out a beautiful note of phoenix song, took flight, made one trip around the room, and disappeared in a flash of fire before the portrait of the Hogwarts founders.
A single red feather fluttered to the floor in his wake. After a moment, it lifted itself and flew into Harry's outstretched hand.
"I've been receiving some private lessons. From a new teacher," said Harry, his flashing green eyes moving from Ron to Hermione.

Please leave feedback!

Check out my fan fic! People like my Fidelius Charm!

"He will only be gone from the school when none here are loyal to him," said Harry, smiling in spite of himself.

Last edited by Pedagogue; August 6th, 2006 at 5:08 am.
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:58 pm
Second Year

Re: Harry Potter and the Founders' Portrait

Thanks to leenielou and celtmama, I now have a link to feedback embedded at the end of the story. Comment away!

Check out my fan fic! People like my Fidelius Charm!

"He will only be gone from the school when none here are loyal to him," said Harry, smiling in spite of himself.

Last edited by Pedagogue; August 3rd, 2006 at 11:03 pm.
Old August 6th, 2006, 5:07 am
Second Year

Re: Harry Potter and the Founders' Portrait

Harry Potter and the Founders' Portrait #2
Rowena Ravenclaw was in the midst of a gobletful of her favorite mulled mead, her long lace-trimmed blue robes billowing about the chaise on which she rested, her long black hair pulled into a long braid resting on her right shoulder, when she heard a knock at the door of her office/study. She closed the book she had been reading, removed herself from the chaise and went to the door.
"Ah, Godric. I'm so glad you could come. Do come in."
Godric Gryffindor stepped into the room and came to the point immediately.
"Rowena, Helga tells me she has been having some conversations with you about Salazar . . ."
"Yes, and they've grown increasingly more disturbing these conversations." Ravenclaw shut the door and made her way back to her chaise by the window. Gryffindor followed, still standing. "Godric, you really are chivalrous and mannered the point of being annoying. Do sit down, man. If I had a galleon for each time you have crossed the threshold of my door, I would be a wealthy witch. You should not need to be asked or told to sit down. Would you fancy a glass of mulled mead?"
Gryffindor chuckled.
"That would be most welcome, Rowena."
"Do sit down."
Gryffindor sat in the chair facing the chaise, making himself more comfortable by wrapping his left hand around the chair's eagle head arm.
Ravenclaw drew her wand and conjured another silver gobletful of mulled mead from thin air and handed it to Gryffindor. He took the glass and smiled at his hostess.
"To your wonderful health, dear lady," he said warmly, raising his glass.
"And to yours." They both drank deeply from their goblets.
"As I was saying, these conversations I've been having with Helga about Salazar have grown increasingly more disturbing. She claims that he's up to something, and when I press her to give me the details of whatever this mysterious 'something' is, she refuses, only saying that we, that is to say, Helga, you, and I, are going to have to choose whether or not we want Salazar to remain at the school when all comes to light."
Gryffindor stoked his long auburn bead.
Rowena, knowing her friend and recognizing this habit, raised an eyebrow.
"Godric, if there is something you know about all this . . ."
"I beg your pardon, Rowena?" Gryffindor continued to stroke his beard.
"Do you know if Salazar is up to something? You among the three of us would know. You two share a history. You know Salazar's habits, his opinions, and you are most aware of his prejudices. And I cannot impress upon you how disturbing I found his comments about limiting admission to those of pureblood ancestry at our end of term meeting back in the summer."
"Yes, Rowena, we all found the comments disturbing."
"Indeed."
Gryffindor took another sip of mead and continued to stroke his beard.
"Godric, you haven't answered my question."
"Rowena, I cannot answer your question."
"Why? It's simple enough."
"Well, I would disagree with you there."
"I repeat: do you suspect Salazar of doing something untoward related to this school? If you do, Godric, you have an obligation to tell me, to tell Helga! For pity's sake, Godric, he could be doing something that would put our students in danger!"
Ravenclaw had risen from her chaise and was looking down at Gryffindor, her blue eyes flashing angrily.
Gryffindor sighed heavily.
"Do sit down and calm yourself, Rowena, and pardon me for giving you an order in your own rooms."
She regained her composure and draped herself across her chaise again.
"I accept your apology only if you answer my question."
"I do not believe our students will be in danger."
Ravenclaw narrowed her eyes and surveyed Gryffindor, trying to catch his eyes. He looked her squarely in the face.
"Legilimency, Rowena? If this mead were not so delicious, I would be supremely offended."
"Well, I cannot help but feel as if you are keeping something from me, never mind Salazar."
"I do not think our students will be in danger, Rowena. That's the best answer to your question I can provide."
"Has Helga been to see you?"
"Yes, she was with me earlier this evening."
"She is the one I'm worried about. Salazar's habits don't interest me in the slightest, particularly since Helga has no proof that's he's up to something and you believe the students will be in no danger. But I must say I think Helga is becoming obsessed with Salazar's habits."
"Indeed?"
"Yes, Godric. She's devoting the type of energy to speculating about Salazar as she did to the building of the castle and securing its fortifications."
"You don't think, perhaps, Rowena, you are given to hyperbole?"
"Do not patronize me in my own rooms, Godric. I know Helga, and Helga is deeply troubled."
"Is there something we can do to put her mind at ease."
"Someone must spy on Salazar."
"But I thought you said his habits do not interest you."
"They do insofar as they are upsetting Helga."
"But Rowena, what you propose is most unorthodox. He deserves as much consideration as Helga, you, or I do. He is a fellow founder, and, perhaps most important, he is our friend. You haven't forgotten that, have you Rowena?"
"No Godric. I haven't."
"He is a powerful wizard, perhaps the most powerful wizard I know . . . "
"Godric, didn't I warn you not to patronize me in my own rooms? You need not be so modest."
"Forgive me Rowena. Old habits of mine, manners and modesty."
"Have him followed, Godric," Ravenclaw stated bluntly.
"But its rest time, Rowena. The students are back with their families and won't be back for several weeks. As you well know, this time belongs to us. We need not inform each other where we go and what we do. We owe each other no explanation for our comings and goings. He could be anywhere. He could be doing anything. Surely you agree that's his prerogative?"
"Have him followed, Godric. If anyone can do it and do it subtly, you can. If you say our students will not be in danger, I believe you. But I want Helga's mind put at ease. Just as you and Salazar share a history, so do Helga and I share a history. You haven't forgotten that, have you, Godric?"
"No, Rowena, I haven't."
They surveyed each other for a moment before Gryffindor stood.
"I have intruded upon you long enough," said Gryffindor, handing Ravenclaw his goblet.
"I invited you here. I'll be the judge of that," she said, but accepting the goblet and Vanishing it with a flick of her wand.
"Enjoy the rest of your evening, Rowena."
"I shall, Godric. Good night."
"Good night, old friend."

Please leave feedback!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts