Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts

Lost Love and New Love

Old March 9th, 2006, 5:07 pm
First Year

Lost Love and New Love

Okay, so this is actually a Marauder era story, so it's mainly about James, Sirius and Lily. This is my first story that I have entered. so I can't really say whether it is going to be good or not. So here we go!
Chapter 1

"James! If you don't get up now, you're going to miss the train!"
James Potter slowly and painfully got out of bed. It was so unfair! He had just been having the most amazing dream, including the girl he loved the most in the world, Lily Evans. The problem was, she didn't seem to feel the same way. In fact, most of the time, she acted like she hated him! Especially at the end of his fourth year, when she had shown her true feelings, and slapped him across the face after he had used a jelly-legs jinx on Snape to trip him up and smash all of his ink bottles. Ans if that wasn't bad enough, she had then insised he help to clean the ink up. When James refused to do so, however, she started shouting at him to "grow up!" which, thought James, sounded childish itself. So when he had laughed at this suggestion, Lily had turned bright red and started to walk away, before changing her mind, and had slapped him straight across his left cheek.
"You think that I would ever want to go out with an idiot like you?" she had screamed, while James had stood in the crowd of people, rubbing his sore, red face."I'd rather curl up and die!" And then she had walked off through the crowd, leaving James hurting both physically and mentally.
Hopefully, though, she'll change her mind about me this year, James thought, whilst pulling on a pair of socks. Now that it was OWLS year, he was determined to concentrate on his work, and try and leave Snape alone. But it was evry difficult when you had a friend like Sirius, who seemed to have trouble follow him around. Once he had managed to get locked in the broom closet, and only just missed getting caught by the caretaker, Filch. He laughed about it after, but at the time he had been terrified. And when he almost got lost in the Forbidden Forest because he had gone looking for unicorns, and had only just been saved by Hagrid, the Games Keeper. So it would be extremely hard to get any work done this year. But he would have to try, even if it meant telling Sirius to shut up. At leat he could get Remus to help him with some of his studies. He came top of just about any class, and stayed out of trouble easily. And Peter never got into trouble anyway, he just watched James and Sirius in admiration, and laghed at everything they did, whether it was making fun of Snape, or stealing snitches.
So all he had to worry about really, was Sirius leading him into trouble. And if he wanted to impress Lily, then he couldn't let him do that. James finished pulling on his shoes and ran downstairs, so he could have a little bit of breakfast before he had to go to Kings Cross Station and platform nine and three quarters, and get onto the Hogwarts Express. If he got there early enough, he might be able to see Lily.
An hour after wolfing down bacon and eggs, James was walking along platform nine and three quarters, searching for Lily. A few times he thought he had glimpsed some red hair, but each time it had turned out to be somebody else. When he was about to give up completely and find a compatment on the train, he spotted Lily, talking to her best friend, Peggy Branston, a fellow Gryffindor. Trying to look as cool as possible, James wheeled his trolley around and began to walk towards her.
"Hey, Evans" James said leaning on the bar of his trolley. Instantly, Peggy walked away, grinning, and Lily rolled her eyes.
"What do you want?" she asked, not keeping the bitter note out of her voice.
"Nothing, I just decided to come over to tell you, there's no hard feelings between us about the end of last term, so you needn't feel guilty" Lily turned a very dark red, which clashed with her hair horribly.
"No hard feelings? Guilty? You should be the one feeling guilty, picking on Severus like that"
" No I shouldn't, he had it coming to him. He shouldn't have been telling me that I'm a rubbish chaser" James watched Lily turn an even darker shade of red. I shouldn't have said that, he thought.
"Well, maybe there was some truth in that. As I reacall, you dropped the quaffle at least seven times, and you missed five scores because you were busy showing off" Lily turned to walk off, but James grabbed hold of her arm.
"Wait up Evans, why all this negativity? I know you want to go out with me really" He flashed her a winning smile, but Lily just glared at him.
"Like I said last term, I'd rather die than go out with you. And besides, I've got a boyfriend" At this, Lily smirked, and James' jaw dropped in horror. After a few seconds of staring at Lily, James recovered and decided to ask the hateful question.
"Who are you going out with?"
"It's funny you should ask that, because he's coming now. James stared around, but couldn't see anybody that looked the slightest bit handsome. Then he saw a familiar person walking towards them, a smirk on his face, his greasy hair falling around his head like curtains.
"Potter, I'd like you to meet my boyfriend Severus"

I ship RL/SB and I'm proud of it!
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2006, 8:51 pm
First Year

Re: Lost Love and New Love

Chapter 2

James looked from Lily to Snape in complete horror.
"Your'e going out with Snape?" he exclaimed. Snape sneered at James' discomfort.
"Yes, I am, and he's a million times better than you" Lily answered, taking hold of Snapes hand and pulling him closer. James shivered at the situation. And he didn't like the look on Snapes face as he looked at Lily. It was pretty creepy. And then something snapped.
"Oh, I get it. You want me to grow up so you go out with the person I hate the most to make me jealous and to make me realise that to have you I have to stop acting so childish. Then once I grow up, you'll ditch Snape and go out with me" James said, smiling. Lily, on the other hand, had a face of thunder.
"No, I am not going out with Severus to make you jealous! Can't you take a hint? I don't like you. I hate you. I think your'e childish, rude, a bully and a show off. Severus is kind and I like him so much more than you. So stop bothering us and carry on being an idiot, because, frankly, I don't care any more" And with that, Lily walked off towards the Hogwarts Express, clutching Snapes hand very tightly. James stood gawping after them for a minute, until a familiar voice shouted to him.
"James! Oi, JAMES!" Sirius called to him from the window of one of the carriages on the train. James came out of his trance, wheeled his trolley round and walked towards the train. Sirius' grinning face came into view.
"Come on, mate, all the carriages are filling up, I'm trying to keep this for just the four of us" Sirius ducked his head back into the compartment. James walked to the nearest door on the train and hoisted his trunk up. When he finally found the compartment that Sirius was in, he found that their friend Remus, or as they called him, "Moony", had joined him in the compartment.
"Hello, James" Remus said, looking up from his new Defence Against the Dark Arts book. As usual, he was getting prepared for their new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. For some strange reason, the professors that taught Defence Against the Dark Arts never lasted longer than a year. Some people said that the job was cursed. James and Sirius had scoffed at this when they had first heard, but after two years they had started to think that maybe it was true and by the end of their fourth year, they no longer had any doubts about the curse. But why it was cursed, nobody knew.
James sat down next to Sirius, and began to go over what Lily had just said to him. How could she pick Snape? It could have been anybody, and yet she had to pick Snape? he was going to pay for this.
"What's up, James? You seem distracted?" Remus said, putting his book down and looking at him with concern.
"Oh, do I? Do you want to know why?" James looked from one to the other. Remus instantly looked like he wished he had never asked.
"What is it?" Sirius asked, only paying a little bit of attention as he was playing with his wand.
"Guess who Evans is going out with?" James asked.
"I'm guessing somebody who you now hate" Sirius answered, still not looking up.
"Somebody who we hated in the first place, and still do. She's going out with Snape" Sirius immediately looked up. Remus nearly fell out of his seat.
"She's going out with SNAPE?" Sirius stood up and walked towards the compartment door. Remus got up too.
"Where are you going?" James asked, looking from one to the other.
"I don't know where he's going, but I have to join the other prefects" Remus looked back at Sirius." Promise you wont do anything stupid?" he asked. Sirius looked from Remus to James and back to Remus.
"Fine" Sirius answered, after a moments hesitation."But he's not going to get away with this"

"No, he's not. He doesn't even like Evans. He's just using her to get at me"
"Well, I'll soon find out. Both Lily and Snape are prefects" Remus said. James' face turned to puce.
"Snape's a prefect?" Remus winced as James also got up from his seat and walked towards the door.
"Yes, and if I find out that theyr'e going out together because they really like each other, then I'll tell you" And he walked out of the compartment and down the corridor. A moment later Peter stumbled into the compartment, looking a little sheepish.
"Hi, Sirius, hi James" he squeaked, almost like a rat. He attempted to put his trunk in the luggage compartment, but failed misserably. Sirius and James grabbed an end each, and lifted the trunk up quite easily.
"Where was Moony going?" Peter asked, sitting down and pulling out a chocolate frog from his pocket.
"Going to the prefects compartment. Here, Peter, you'll never guess what's happened?" And James told Peter the whole story of what had happened with Lily and Snape, whilst Sirius listened carefully for more details. When he had finished, Peter sat with his mouth wide open, the chocolate frog forgotten. Sirius ground his teeth together, while wringing his hands. James sat in complete silence. After a few minutes, however, Sirius jumped up and clapped his hands together.
"I've got it! I know exactly how to split them up!"

Old March 10th, 2006, 6:45 pm
First Year

Chapter three
As the Hogwarts Express pulled into Hogsmeade station, people started to pile into the narrow corridors. James spotted Lily and Snape togther about ten feet away from himself and Sirius. Which meant that they couldn't have been too far away in the carriages. James' blood boiled as he imagined Snape with Lily, holdin Lily...kissing Lily. James' skin crawled at the thought. Sirius noticed the shudder.
"Don't worry, mate, they'll be over before they even started" he reasured, bu James still looked uncomfortable. As they finally piled out of the doors, James heard the familiar voice of Hagrid, shouting "Firs' years over ere" and he could just make out the giant figure in the darkness, carrying an oil lamp. James walked over to the horseless carriages with Sirius, Remus and Peter, and they made their way up to the giant gates of Hogwarts, flogged with statues of flying boars. As James looked up at the huge, old castle, he began to feel at home again. Sure, it was fun to be at home and sleep until noon every day, but at Hogwarts he felt like himself again, cheeky, charming James Potter. And this year he was goin to get Lily Evans. He just had to.
"You alright, mate? Listen, the plan's going to work, so stop panicking. I think she's just doing this to make you jealous. Why else would she go out with the snivelly little git" Sirius suddenly looked very happy.
"i've just thought up a nickname for him! How many times have we seen him crying? Let's call him Snivellus!"
"Excellant! That'll get him back for stealing my girl-" James suddenly looked embarrased and looked away. Peter just gawped at the two, but Remus cleared his throat.
"In the prefects carriage Lily was sitting next to Snape, but they weren't holding hands" he said.
"But they were definately sitting next to each other?" James asked, not keeping the curiosity out of his voice.
"Yes, and I forgot to mention that, even if Lily and Snape were doing it to make you jealous, they would still act like they were going out together because they know that I'd tell you if they were being un-chummy"
"You were the one who suggested to watch them!" James exploded. Everyone looked quite taken aback. Remus looked a little guilty.
"Because I never really thought about it that way" he answered. James suddenly regretted shouting at him.
"Sorry, mate, it's just that I was looking forward to this year, I was even going to start acting more 'mature' as Lily put it. And now she goes and does this to me" James went back to staring out of the window. The carriage pulled up to the school and the four stepped out, one after the other, and walked up the stone steps to the large, oak doors. Once inside the Entrance Hall, James cheered up a little again. He walked into the Great Hall after Sirius and, together, they found four places at the Gryffindor table, not far from Lily, who was sat with her other friend, Jane. They were deep in conversation, and every few seconds Jane looked over at James and Sirius. Remus and Peter came in shortly after, as Peter had tripped up and ripped the bottom of his trousers and needed them repairing. Remus had offered to help him. After a few minutes of loud conversation, Professor McGonagall walked into the Hall followed by a group of petriffied looking first-years. Out of the corner of his eye, James saw Lily blow a kiss to Snape. James began to feel sick, especially when he saw Snape return the kiss. Professor McGonagall placed the Sorting Hat on a stool and unrolled a sheet of parchment. She then read out the first name.
"Adams, Penny" A tall girl with blonde hair stepped forward, looking very pale and nervous. The hat was silent for a nomnet, before-
"RAVENCLAW!" The Ravenclaw table began to cheer loudly.
"Appleby, Liam" A boy with shoulder-length, brown hair and a round face walked forward to the stool and sat down on the stool.
"SLYTHERIN!" The Slytherin table applauded as loudly as possible, Snape included. James wished for him to die. After the sorting ceremony was over, the headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, stood up.
"Welcome students, old and new. I hope that this year will be as magical as our last. Now tuck in!" The golden platers in front of them immediately filled with chicken and beef, pork and lamb, chips and every kind of vegetable available. James took some chicken and chips, but did not eat very much as he had lost his appetite over Lily and Snape. When the last morsels of food had been demolished, the left-over food dissappeared and was replaced with dessert. James completely ignored this and started to day dream. He wished he had never acted like a prat when he was younger, then maybe she would have gone out with him sooner. But if Sirius' genius plan worked, then Lily would be with him in no time. And tomorrow was the perfect time to start.

this time i want some comments on this story, so please send me an owl,whether to criticise or be nice x

Old March 11th, 2006, 5:32 pm
First Year

Chapter 4

"Ok, so you know what to do?" Sirius asked James the next day at breakfast. James looked over at Lily, who was chatting to her friend, Jane, and nodded.
"So when I give you the signal in potions, you cause some kind of distraction, and I'll slip the note into Lily's bag. What are you going to use as a distraction?" Sirius asked, leaning in to hear what James was going to say. James pulled a handful of Dr. Filibuster no heat, wet start fireworks from his bag. He had been saving them for a special occasion, and this was definately the time.
"Excellant!" Sirius exclaimed."Old Sluggy'll have a heart attack!"
"I hope not, I don't want to be responsible for killing a teacher. I'm already going to be responsible for splitting up two people" James said, looking at his uneaten bacon and eggs. Just then, two girls from the Ravenclaw table walked past. "Hi, James!" They chorused, flashing him a smile each. Normally James loved this kind of attention, especially when Lily looked up to see who the person was. But James just mumbled "Hello" and carried on playing with his breakfast. Sirius tried to catch one of the girls eyes, but was unsuccesful.
"Come on, let's go to potions, I'm fed up of watching Lily and Snape" James muttered, looking over at Lily, who had by now been joined by Snape and was sharing a piece of toast together. James once again felt quite sick.
Ten minutes later, James was sitting in the cold dungeon room, getting ready for Sirius' signal. Because the plan, James had not sat next to Sirius, but had sat at the opposite side of the room. He had never really thought that this would make people suspicious.
"Why is James not sat next to Sirius?"Frank Longbottom asked Peter.
"I dunno, maybe they've had a fall out?" Jane suggested.
James looked over to Sirius and saw him scratch his nose, which was the signal for the fireworks. James looked around him to check that nobody was watching him, and wet the end of the fuse. Immediately it flew off and flew into somebodies cauldron, causing the shrinkig potion to splash all over the unsuspecting Slytherin, Andrew Mitchell.
"Oh, my word!" Exclaimed Professor Slughorn."What on earth did you do?!" He asked the now knee-high Andrew, how was looking up at everyone with complete terror on hs face. James looked over to where Sirius was, and saw him joining the group of astonished people, having obviously put the letter into Lily's bag.
"Who's is this?" Asked Professor Slughorn, holding up the now smouldered firework. Nobody spoke. "When I find out who's this is, they are going to be out of this school before you can say "Veritaserum!"
"Er, sir" squeeked the tiny Andrew. "Can you elp me?"
"Oh, sorry Andrew. Of course, m'boy" And he walked off with Adrew at heels, literally speaking. James breathed a sigh of relief and went back to his cauldron. Now all he had to do was wait until Lily found the letter, and as he was in all of Lily's lessons that day, he was sure to see her read it.
When the lesson eventually finished (it was a double period), James and Sirius walked to the Great Hall for dinner, closely following Lily and Snape, who were holding hands. I hope she finds that letter soon, James thought to himself.
"James, why weren't you sat next to Sirius in potions?" Frank asked. James looked awkwardly at Sirius, but Sirius seemed unembarrased.
"Because Professor Slughorn said that we were behind in potions, so we figured if we sat further away from each other, we might get some work done"
he answered, pulling his bag up as it began to fall down his shoulder. James suddenly remembered why he liked Sirius so much: he was good at lying.
"Oh" Frank seemed convinced, but Remus didn't. As soon as Frank was out of sight he hissed angrily "It was YOU who let that firework off! You nearly made me ruin my potion!"
"Chill out, Moony. We had to cause some kind of distraction, and that was the best one that we could think of" James said, feeling like himself again. Letting that firework off had just felt...right. There was no way that James was going to grow yet, even if Lily thought he was immature. There had to be another way to impress Lily. Without having to act grown up. When they entered the Great Hall, James was satisfied to see Lily reading a piece of paper, a frown creasing her head. Soon she would dump Snape and James would be there to comfort her. He happily tucked into steak and kidney pie, suddenly feeling very hungry.
"So, do you think that it worked?" Sirius asked him, looking over at Lily.
"Of course. If you got a letter sent to you from an anonymous person telling you that the person that your'e going out with was two timing them, you'd believe it, wouldn't you?" Sirius looked a little hesitant.
"Of course" he answered. But his face suddenly drained of colour as he looked up past James' shoulder. James turned around and saw Lily, hands on hips, face red with anger and a piece of parchment in her hand.
"You! You insolent, little-"
"What have I done?" James asked, looking as inocent as possible.
"Don't give me that! You know exactly what you've done! You sent me a letter sayin Severus is cheating on me! I'll have you know that Severus would never cheat on me! He loves me!" James turned pale. the last few words had been heard by the whole hall, including Snape, who stood up and stared.
"I mean, I think he does" Lily mumbled, looking quite close to tears. James felt the same way. If Lily and Snape were in love, then there was no way James would ever get Lily. Snape was walking over to Lily, and the Great Hall was silent as everone watched to see what was going to happen next. Even some of the teachers were listening.
"What did you say?" Snape asked quietly, his lips hardly moving.
"I-I said you love me" Lily whispered. James watched Snapes face. He had expected to see repulsion, but he saw none. Instead he was smiling. Smiling! Not smirking, or frowning, but actually smiling.
"I do" he whispered. James couldn't stand anymore.
"But you've only just started going out!" he shouted.
"That's where you're wrong" Lily said, disgust written all over her face at James' outburst. "I told you I wasn't going out with him just to make you jealous. We've been going out since the middle of third year. I just didn't tell you then because I knew you'd say exactly the same thing as what you did when I told you yesterday" she looked back at Snape and whispered "I love you, too" And they walked out of the Great Hall holding hands and the whole school watching them.
"Are you alright, mate?" Sirius asked, looking at James with concern. James said nothing, but grabbed his bag and walked out of the Great Hall and to Gryffindor Tower. It wasn't until he was in the dormitory until he let his feelings out and began to cry. He had lost the love of his life. And it was all Snapes fault.

Old March 12th, 2006, 5:40 pm
First Year

Chapter 5

"Come on, mate" Sirius said, looking at his depressed friend and feeling quite helpless. "You can't stay up here forever, we've got charms in twenty minutes". James sat in the boys dormitory, and continued to stare out of the window, completely ignoring his best friend. Sirius shook his shoulder, but still there was no answer. He turned to Remus, who was watching the both of them with concern.
"There's plenty more fish in the sea" Sirius said. James shook his head.
"None like her" he said heavily, sighing. He moved away from the window and walked over to his trunk at the end of his, where he took out his charms books and out them into his bag.
"If it makes you feel any better, we're practising animagi tonight. We've only got a few more lessons of it and we've cracked it. We find out what our forms are tonight!" Sirius said excitedly, looking over at Remus, who smiled in agreement.
"It's alright for you three, though" Remus said. "You get to turn into what you want, when you want and you keep your own mind" He sighed at this.
"We'd better be going to Charms, then" James said, no enthusiasm in his voice. He moved over to the door, and Sirius, Remus and Peter followed. When they got into the common room, they saw a small crowd around the notice board. Remus went over to see what it was.
"First Hogsmeade weekend" he informed them, a miserable look on his face. "That's when there's a full moon" he murmered, making sure nobody could hear him.
"It doesn't matter, I'm not going anyway" James said. Sirius looked at him aghast.
"Why not?" he asked.
"Lily. With Snivellus" he answered bitterly. Sirius smilied.
"I forgot about that nickname! We'll have to start using some more now"
"We should be going to Charms" Remus reminded them, looking at Sirius and raising his eyebrows. James walked over to the portrait hole, and was about to open it when it swng open, and Lily walked through it. She gave James a dirty look, before going to join her friends. James stared after her for a few minutes, before remembering the Charms lesson, and hurried out.
Two hours later, James sat in the common room with Sirius, Remus and Peter, waiting for the room to clear. There were only three more people in the room: Frank Longbottom, Alice Grant, and Lily. Sirius watched as James tried to catch Lily's eye, failing miserably. At half past eleven, the common room was finally empty.
"Finally" Sirius said, jumping up from the leather armchair. James and Peter also stood up, and Remus pulled a leather-bound book out of his bag.
"Step 23: Choosing your animal form" he read.
"How do we do that, then?" Sirius asked, glimpsing at the book.
"Well, it's really based on your pesonality. Because you now know how to turn into an animagus, you just have to concentrate on that. But you also have to think of something that you love, whether it be an object or a person" Remus read out. Peter looked puzzled.
"But what if you've ot more than one thing?" he asked. Remus scanned te page for the answer.
"It says think of both of them, it will help even more if you have more than one" he looked at the three of them. "Right then, well, who's going to go first?" he asked. Sirius nudged Peter.
"Go on, Peter, let's see what yours is" Peter took a deep breath and scrunched up his face, concentrating with all his might. He stood like this for a minute, and then-
"Woah!" Sirius yelled, staring at a small, brown rat at his feet.
"Bloody hell!" James exclaimed. Peter ran around in a circle, then changed back to human form.
"Wow! That was weird! Why was I a rat, though?" he asked Remus, who flicked throught the book.
"What did you think of?" he asked. Peter looked a little embarassed.
"Well, my family. And-and my friends" he mumbled. James started to laugh, all thoughts of the days events forgotten.
"Oh, Peter! I didn't know you cared!" Sirius said sarcastically, grabbing Peter and he gave him a big hug.
"You go now, Sirius!" James choked, tears streaming down his face. Sirius jumped up and stood in front of the fire, and did exactly as Peter did, although it didn't take him quite as long to transform. Where Sirius had stood, a large, black dog now stood, looking up at the three of them, it's tongue hanging out of it's mouth.
"Cool!" James said, watching the giant dog chasing it's tail.
"How come Sirius gets to be a dog?" Peter whined, looking at the now human Sirius, who was grinning from ear to ear.
"It depends what he thought of" Remus said, looking at Sirius with interest.
"I thought of Hogwarts. There was no way that I was going to think of my family, I hate them all" Sirius said with disgust. He turned to James.
"It's your turn now, James" he said, grinning again. James walked over to the middle of the room, took a deep breath and screwed up his eyes. Right, I want to turn into an animagus, he thought, saying this over in his head. Then he thought of the things he loved the most. Quidditch, his family-and Lily. He felt an odd sensation in the pit of his stomache, like a stone being dropped into it, and opened his eyes.
"Woah!" Sirius and Peter exclaimed, staring at him. He looked sown, and saw four legs, with hooves. He turned his head and saw, to his astonishment, a long back with a small, stubby tail. He turned to look in the mirror above the fireplace, and saw huge antlers. He was a stag. Now I want to be human, he thought, and with a small pop! he was James again.
"Bloody hell!"Sirius said, staring at James with his mouth open.
"What did you think of?" Remus asked, looking at James. Peter watched him as well.
" My family, quidditch, and-" James broke off. Sirius finished for him.
"Lily?" James nodded.
"Right, well this is what they all mean. A rat shows that you're quick at getting out of sticky situations, which I'm guessing is why you're so small. A dog is prepared to put up a fight. And a stag is courageous" Remus looked up at them all. "I guess this means that you're all animagus'" He shut the book, smiling. "That means that you can come with me on Saturday" Sirius whooped with joy.
"Finally! I've been waiting for this for three years!"

Old March 12th, 2006, 7:23 pm
First Year

Chapter 6

"Finally! The first week over with!" Sirius dropped into the seat next to James and immediately began to grab any food in front of him. James was feeling a little happier than he had all week. Tonight was the full moon, and he, Sirius and Peter were going into the "Shrieking Shack", as people now called it, with Remus. It would be the first time they had ever done it. And Sirius had convinced James to go to Hogsmeade the following day, saying that he would jinx Snape if he saw him. Remus walked over to the duo, and took the seat next to Sirius.
"Well, that was painful. We had an unexpected test in Ancient Runes" he told them, taking a chicken leg and starting to eat.
"But you're smart, you'l probably get an O" Sirius said, a frown line forming on his head. Remus shook his head.
"I was worrying about tonight, so I probably got about half of the questions wrong" he groaned and grabbed anotheer chicken leg. Sirius looked around.
"Where's Wormtail?" he asked. Due to Peter turning into a rat, Sirius had given him the nickname "Wormtail".
"I dunno. He had Muggle Studies, didn't he?" James asked.
"Yeah. Oh, well, we'll see him later" Sirius said, taking a bite out of a roast potato. He looked around the hall.
"James, here comes Snivellus" he said, nudging James and pointing in the direction of Snape. James looked over at him.
"Looks a bit more depressed than usual. doesn't he?" James commented delightedly. Snape walked over to the Slytherin table and sat down near Sirius' cousin, Bellatrix.
"You knw, he does" Sirius agreed. "Maybe he had a fight with Lily" James' heart soared to somewhere in his throat. If Snape and Lily had had a fight, then Lily might see what Snape was really like: a greasy, slime ball.
"There you are, Wormtail! Where did you get to?" Remus asked, looking up from
So you think you know Ancient Runes?
. Wormtail wondered over to the table and sat down beside James.
"Professor Nestor wanted to see me" he mumbled, not looking Remus in the eyes.
"What about?" James asked. Wormtail shrugged.
"Just to talk about my work" he answered. James looked over at Snape again, who was staring moodily at his food. He looked around for Lily, but could not find her. Maybe she had had a fight with him! James finished his dinner, and sat back in his seat, feeling happy. Snape and Lily had had a fight, and James was finally going into the Shrieking Shack with Remus. This was definately his day.
At half past eight that night, James, Sirius, Remus and Wormtail were hidden under James' invisibility cloak, walking towards the whomping willow.
"Go on, Wormtail, you know what to do" Sirius said to Wormtail, who had now turned into a rat. He ran over to the giant tree, and touched a knot in the tree trunk. Immediately, the tree froze, and the four of them disappeared into a small opening under the tree, and began to crawl. It seemed to James like they had been crawling on their knees for hours, until finally the passage began to rise, until it was big enough for all four of them to stand up. Thet walked up to a trap door, and Remus pushed it open. As the four of them climbed into the room above, Remus made a sudden jerking movement. James looked over at Sirius and he nodded. It was time to transform, otherwise they would be in grave danger. James closed his eyes and thought of the tree things he loved the most, and felt the odd sensation in his stomach again. He opened his eyes and saw a big, shaggy dog, and a small, brown rat, who were both staring at Remus, terror in their eyes. None of them had ever seen Remus transform into a werewolf before, and James was not sure whether he wanted to see it again. For about three minutes, Remus was in agony. He screamed, he thrashed around (which explained all the broken furniture, James thought to himself) and he slowly turned into a hairy, wolf-like being. Next time, James thought, I think I'll invite Snivellus. That'll teach him.

Old March 13th, 2006, 6:35 pm
First Year

Chapter 7
Three months after the eventful night of going into the Shrieking Shack with Remus, Sirius had an odd but exciting idea.
"Let's go into Hogsmeade when we're all transformed!" Remus looked at him like he was mad.
"Are you crazy? Who knows what I might do!" he looked at James for support, but James had a grin on his face as well.
"I think it's a great idea! Besides, you're safe when you're with us, and if it's about midnight, then there won't be anybody around for you to bite!" Remus looked awkward.
"I don't know. I mean, if we got caught-"
"If!If we got caught. But we wouldn't" Sirius said. Remus gave him a dirty look, and continued.
"If we got caught, we'd be in alot of trouble. And I promised Dumbledore that we'd stay in the Shrieking Shack" Dumbledore was the only other person that knew about their "transformations". James gave a sigh.
"It was just a thought, Moony, no need to start lecturing us" he said, standing up from beside the lake. Even if it was in the middle of winter, the four of them would still sit beside the lake. It was the only real place where they could have a little privacy.
"When is the next full moon, anyway?" Wormtail asked. Remus looked up from his Muggle Studies homework.
"On Thursday" Remus said.
"Can't wait" Sirius said, grinning. James looked at him, and saw him looking quite suspiciously.
"What are you up to?" he asked. Sirius tried to look innocent.
"Whatever do you mean?" he asked. Remus looked up from his homework again.
"I mean it, you know. We're not leaving the Shack" Sirius shhok his head.
"I know that" James was about to ask why Sirius was still grinning when the bell rang for the next lesson.
"Hurry up, Wormtail" Sirius moaned. It was Thursday night, and James, Remus and Sirius were waitin in the common room for Peter, who had gone to get a scarf.
"Coming" Wormtail ran down the spiral staircase from the boys dormitiory, and tripped down the last two. James and Sirius roared with laughter as Remus helped Wormtail up. When James and Sirius had recoverd, and Wormtail was hidden under the invisibility cloak, the four of them set off towards the Whomping Willow. Once outside, James slipped the invisibility cloak off of them, as no one would see them in the dark. As Remus and Wormail slipped into the passageway, Sirius pulled James to one side.
"You know how you've been wanting to pay back Snape for stealing Lily? Well, let's just say he's going to get what he desserves" James stared at Sirius.
"What have you done?" he asked. Sirius grinned.
"You know how he started asking us about where we go every month? Well, the other day he asked me again. So I told him if he went to the Whomping Willow tonight, and he tapped the knot in the tree trunk with a branch, then he could slip down the passageway and find out" James looked at Sirius' face. His eyes had a manic gleam. But then he remembered Snape with Lily.
"When's he coming down?" he asked. Sirius looked at his watch.
"Now" he answered, and automatically, the giant, oak doors to the castle swung open. James quickly threw the cloak over himself and Sirius, and they watched as Snape hurried over to the Wgomping Willow, poked the knot with a branch,and slide into the tunnel. For a few minutes James sat there. And then he remembered Remus.
"What if he tells everyone about Moony?" James asked. Sirius shrugged.
"He won't live to tell anyone" he said, a grin now on his face. James' breath caught in his chest. Even though he hated Snape, he didn't want him dead.
"I've got to stop him" James said, throwing the cloak off himself. He prodded the knot on the trunk of the Whomping Williw with a branch, and slid into the tunnel. Then he began to crawl as fast as possible. He couldn't let Snape die, Lily would blame him and then there was definately no way she would ever love him. He pushed open the trap door, and pulled himself out. As he ran over to the staircase, he heard footsteps just ahead of him. James ran up the stairs and saw a chink of light as a door was opened, and then a cry. James ran over to the door and found Snape cowering on the flloor, as Remus the werewolf towered above him, drool dribbling down his chin. Instinctively, James thought of the three things he loved the most, and felt the sensation of something falling into his stomache. Then he raced over to Remus and Snape. He stood over Snape, and kicked his front legs up at Remus. Remus backed off, growling, and James turned and nudged Snape to move. Not needing to be told twice, Snape got up to his feet, and fle out of the door. James turned to walke out, and transformed once he was outside of the door. He ran down the stairs, and pulled up the trapdoor. As he crawled along the passageway, his mind was racing. What would have happened if James had not rescued Snape? As he pulled himself out of the Whomping Willow, he felt somebody grab his arm, and pull him up. Then he was slammed against the immobilised tree.
"Was she in on this, too?" Snape hissed, spraying James with spit.
"Who?" James asked, who was starting to wish he had left him. Snape rolled his eyes.
"Lily! We had an argument, but I didn't think she would stoop this low" Snape looked quite upset, but James suddenly saw a golden opportunity lying ahead of him.
"You could say that" he answered." Lily told Sirius that she wanted to get rid of you, so Sirius said he'd sort it out" He watched as Snapes face twisted with rage, and felt quite satisfied." Now get you're greasy hands off of me, before I call on my good friend Remus" James walked back up to the castle, grinning to himself. Lily is mine, he thought.

Old March 18th, 2006, 3:54 pm
First Year

Chapter 8

"Have a good Christmas, Moony?" Sirius asked. James sat at the Gryffindor table. He and Sirius had got back to school the day before, and Remus had just walked into the hall.
"It was alright" Remus answered, sitting down and grabbing a piece of toast. Sirius nudged him in the arm.
"Look who's back" he said, pointing to the door. James looked over and felt his stomach turn over as he spotted Lily stood in the doorway. She had had her hair cut, but other than that, she looked perfectly normal. Not at all like she had just suffered from a painful breakup. Then, to his complete surprise, she waved to him and began walking towards him.
"Wonder what's up with her" Sirius muttered, picking up another piece of toast and eating it whole. James ran his hand through his hair, and turned back to face Lily.
"Hi, James" she said cheerfully. James' jaw dropped.
"Hiya, Lily" Sirius spoke up. James realised that his mouth was open, and quickly closed it.
" Hi, Sirius. James, I was wondering if I could have a quick word with you?" she smiled sweetly, and James felt his stomach do another somersault.
"Sure" he said horsely. Lily turned and began to walk out of the hall, and James ran to keep up with her. Lily walked over to a quiet corner in the Entrance Hall, and turned towards him.
"I just want to let you know that me and Severus have broken up. And before you start threatening him, it was me that ended it" James stared at her. So she didn't blame him for the break up? "And I wanted to let you know that I'm sorry for the way that I've been acting over the last couple of months"
"It's fine" James said. "I've been meaning to apologise to you aswell. You know, about asking you out all the time" Lily's face lit up at this.
"Actually, if that offer still stands, then I wouldn't mind going out with you some time" Lily blushed furiously, and James grinned.
"Of course it still stands, but if you don't mind me asking, why have you suddenly changed your mind about me? I mean, last month you wouldn't even talk to me" Lily blushed again ,and James couldn't help noticing that she looked even more beautiful.
"Oh, I had alot to think about over the holidays. And I guess Severus wasn't really my type" James looked at Lily. Finally, after three years of torture, Lily was finally his. And Snape was going to hate every minute of it.
" Shall we go and get some breakfast, then?" she asked, holding out her hand. James took it and walked with her into the Great Hall.
"I don't believe it!" Sirius shouted as James and Lily walked towards the Gryffindor table. Heads turned, and whispers erupted all around the hall.
"What happened?" Sirius asked, as they sat down next to him.
"We just had a talk" Lily said. Sirius raised his eyebrows. Remus turned around from his conversation with Wormtail, took one look at Lily, and shook his head.
"Am I dreaming?" he asked. James laughed.
"Nope. We're going out" Remus looked confused.
"What about Snape?" he asked. Lily looked at him and frowned.
"We broke up" she said shortly. Remus decided not to ask anymore questions. James looked over to the Slytherin table and saw Snape sitting by himself, having obviously just arrived. He had dark circles under his eyes and he was staring straight at Lily. James gave him a big grin, and pulled Lily towards him. Revenge was indeed sweet.

Old April 10th, 2006, 11:59 am
First Year

Chapter 9
Over the next few months James' life was perfect. He had the girl of his dreams, he was doing well in most subjects (except History of Magic. There was just something about Professor Binns that put most people to sleep), and whenever Snape saw James and Lily together he turned red and quickly walked away.The only problem was that James was no longer allowed to torment Snape, as Lily didn't like it.
"It's childish" she had told him. So James had stopped. When Lily was around, that is.
"Snivellus! Oh, Snivelypoo!" Sirius would shout, while James would hide. When Snape came over to try and hit Sirius with any curse possible, James would put a leg-locker curse on him, and watch him fall to the ground like a tree, while Sirius laughed himself hoarse. Everything was going well. Until he got detention with Slughorn.
"James Potter, what on earth do you think you're doing?!" Slughorn shouted. James, who had been stood by the supplies cupboard, stealing everything he could to make a warts potion, quickly turned around, robes bulging. Slughorn looked like an angry walrus.
"Stealing ingredients? Well, I think that's worth at least a week of detentions" James looked over at Lily, who had had no idea about the potion. She looked both hurt and very angry, as James had promised her that he would not do anymore silly jokes. Sirius, on the other hand, was grinning from ear to ear ,and shaking with laughter. He always found it funny when James got into trouble. Once James got outside, Lily let rip.
"You stupid, insensitive idiot! I thought you had changed, but you're just as stupid as the day I met you! You told me you were going to have no ppart in brewing that potion, and then you go and try to steal the ingredients!" There were tears in Lily's eyes now. James didn't understand. Why was she getting all worked up over a few potion ingredients?
"Lily, listen. I wasn't actually going to make the potion, it's just that, well, the exams are getting to me, and I thought maybe one joke would be alright" James knew straight away that this was the wrong thing to say.
"Alright? Alrigt? And who was going to be the person to have that joke played on them?" James looked over at Snape, who was stood by the dungeon door pretending to read his homework.
"I might have guessed" Lily said. James tried to reason with her, but she wasn't listening. She pulled away from him.
"I'm fed up with these lame excuses. You'd better change, James, and fast, or I'll never speak to you again!" And she strode out of the dungeons. James stared after her, and Sirius, Remus and Peter came to join him.
"So, are you helping us with that potion?" Sirius asked. James shook his head. Sirius shrugged.
"You're loss, mate" And he walked out of the dungeons, followed by Remus and Peter. James leaned against the wall. Why had Lily got so mad about the ingredients? Was she starting to go off him, and she was using this as an excuse to dump him? James was just trying to work it out, when his thoughts were interupted.
"Now you know what it feels like" Snape said. James whipped around. Snape had a smirk on his face.
"Now I know what what feels like?" He spat, feeling the anger well up inside of him. He was not up to speaking to Snape. Not now.
"Well, you see, Lily came over to me last night in the library, and asked me a question about our homework for Defense Against the Dark Arts. You know, the werewolves one? Well, I accidently let slip that there's a werewolf in her common room, and then it all came out, including the part about her speaking to oyu friend, Black. And it turns out that she never said that" Snape now looked like Christmas had come early. James, on the other hand, was shaking. Lily knew what James was capable of. She knew that James had nearly killed Snape.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Flourish and Blotts