Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

The New Gryffindor Quidditch Captain v2

Old May 16th, 2005, 6:33 am
Representative Homosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
That's right. Thanks
Well I suppose there's always the fact to consider that if DD didn't make Harry Prefect because he thought he'd have too much on his plate, why would professor McGonagall pick Harry especially now that the attention and pressure will get so much worse.
Because this is something that Harry would actually want on his plate. Just because one's being forced to eat the brussells' sprouts doesn't mean one should be denied the cheese cake! That is all the more reason to eat the cheese cake! Mmh! *Starts thinking about delicious cheesecake Too much cheese cake for Harry, and he might be off the team!

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2005, 6:57 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
That's right. Thanks
Well I suppose there's always the fact to consider that if DD didn't make Harry Prefect because he thought he'd have too much on his plate, why would professor McGonagall pick Harry especially now that the attention and pressure will get so much worse.
... because DD found that it was a mistake in the first place? And he admitted that Sirius died because he was kept from doing what he wanted to? Because if Harry is denied all joys in order to serve the goals of OotP and be almost a slave who is groomed for an ultimate sacrifice without any reward or recognition of his merit, at some moment he might discover that even LV is more humane? And perhaps, if his only reward will be a constant denial of all the things he wants and deserves, eventually re-consider the sides? Or do you think that McGonagall and DD are incapable to see this possibility, or the Order can afford the risk?

One thing is if Harry is not sure that he deserves the post. Another, when he IS, and already knows why he was not made a prefect. He is a teenager, of the age when every premise is questioned, and all axioms are challenged. And LV is just a thought away, just waiting for a chance to exploit a teen angst over any injustice and seduce Harry away from his destiny? If I were DD, I would never make this mistake again.

Old May 16th, 2005, 6:59 am
Third Year

Quote:
That's right. Thanks
Well, McGonnagall isn't Dumbledore. It doesn't sound like she knows the prophecy. At least she didn't seem to know it when harry was first left with the Dursley's...i.e. wondering why Harry would be left there and taking DD's reason (that didn't have anything to do with protection from Voldemort, extra).

She also really, really wants to win...She was willing to get the rules bent so a first year could play, and she also bought a really good broom for Harry just so he'd be faster than the other seekers. Harry's her hand-picked golden-boy on the team.

Old May 16th, 2005, 7:10 am
Second Year

I'm pretty sure either Harry or Katie will be captain. I'm leaning more towards Katie simply because it will be her last year on the team and at Hogwarts. But then again, Wood was only a fifth year when he was captain (possibly younger?), and he did a fine job. Of course, he was the oldest, wasn't he. Hmmm. I'd like to say Harry, too because...well, he's really good, and he'd do a good job, and Katie hasn't been much of a character really. Not like Angelina was -- though that was surprise to me -- when she was named captain. If it isn't Katie and it isn't Harry, I'll be upset because that would PROBABLY mean Harry wouldn't be captain in book 7, and he really deserves it, does he not?

Old May 16th, 2005, 7:39 am
Second Year

haha the thought of Ginny being captain makes me laugh, that would be so enjoyable to have Harry and Ron have to do as she tells them to especially if she took on a Oliver Wood mentality about it..but that will never happen....I also think Harry probably SHOULD be captain being as he has a Quidditch record that stands out among the rest of the Gryffindors but i think it will probably be Katie.

Old May 16th, 2005, 10:30 am
Second Year

I'm not sure if Katie is even on the team. It was only because Ginny said that Angelina and Alicia were leaving the team that people are assuming Katie's still on. It was Alicia who was the reserve in Harry's first year, NOT Katie. There was no mention of Katie being a new addition on the team that year. So I'm assuming that Katie was in her third year when Harry came to Hogwarts, and she has left now.

Old May 16th, 2005, 11:17 am
Fourth Year

I haven't read the entire thread, so I'm sorry if this has been said before...

As said just above, I think the new Captain must be either Harry or Katie.

And I believe it will be Harry.

- Having Dumbledore say : "no Harry, I don't want to add another burden on your shoulders, you already have enough to cope with" wouldn't be right... It would be the old OotP story rehashed. Another "old man's mistake"...

- Also, don't forget that the choice is NOT Dumbledore's. It's McGonagall's, as SHE is the Head of Gryffindor house. And she is the one who made Harry the youngest Quidditch player in a century. She is the one who chose him in the first place.
And I think that, from Minerva's point of view, choosing Harry will be a great revenge over Dolores Umbridge ! Umbridge had banned him. He'll be back. And he'll be Captain !

Now, the only thing JKR has said on that matter is this (March 4th, 2004) :
Quote:
bibwhang: Will Ron ever get on the Gryffindor quidditch team?
JK Rowling replies -> Well, he's already there! The question is, whether the new Quidditch Captain will allow him to stay!
This doesn't really help us guess the name of the new Captain. The only sure thing is that it cannot be Ron.

But I could see more quarrels and jealousy between Harry and Ron... We should see more of this after GoF... And Quidditch could be a good reason : so, will Harry allow Ron to stay in the team ?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Last edited by merlin455; May 16th, 2005 at 11:21 am.
Old May 17th, 2005, 8:18 pm
First Year

You certainly might see more rivalry between Harry and Ron do on their OWLS. What if Ron throws down an auror like performance and Harry tanks it? That would **** Harry off something terrible.

Pending that something like that does not happen, I think the rivalry between Harry and Ron probably won't grow anymore. They are becoming more mature and finding their places in the world. They won't have time to fight each other and Voldemort. Remember, in GoF, the fighting was just due to misunderstanding, not the situation itself. In OotP, Harry was acting a brat the whole the time, he was angry at the world, he should be getting past that. The trio's relationship is a mirror of the mauraders, but I don't think it is a 1-1 relationship. Anyway, I''m getting off topic.

Harry for captian.

Old May 21st, 2005, 9:19 pm
Third Year

I don't think Ron will be captain due to the wording of this answer by Jo during her World Book Day chat:

Quote:
Will Ron ever get on the Gryffindor quidditch team?
Well, he's already there! The question is, whether the new Quidditch Captain will allow him to stay!
underline mine.

Logic states that the captain must be someone else as Jo mentions two separate people.

I would like to see Katie Bell as the captain, as she has the most experience on the team.

Old May 22nd, 2005, 10:02 am
Professor of Grooviness

Version 3!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies