Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

The New Gryffindor Quidditch Captain v2

Old October 18th, 2004, 1:00 am
Second Year

The captain has always been the most senior member of the team... by that criteria Ginny is most definately out... I don't think harry wants the job and besides for all we know Katie has 1 year on him because otherwise McGonagall & Wood would be looking for more than just a seeker which what was implied in SS/PS

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2004, 1:06 am
Registered Animagus

Ron will get it seventh year, unless Harry keeps it. It tells us in the Mirror of Erised. Harry will get 6th year and get Ginny on the team... then Ginny will realize Harry likes her and ask him... lol, just my guess. From what you can tell there, I am a Harry/Ginny shipper, as well as Ron/Hermione.

Although... if Ron will get it, then it will be open cause Katie will be gone. Katie could be the captain... just a thought.

Old October 18th, 2004, 1:08 am
Toodles

Ya, I agree that it won't be Harry he already has his hands full saving the world.
So going by the most senior team member I'd have to agree on Katie.

Old October 18th, 2004, 1:17 am
Second Year

Very true.... as for the whole 7th year Ron thing... what does that matter... Harry saw himself with his parents in the mirror of erised... does that mean he'll be retunited with his family in book 7? The mirror shows his deepest desire not his future!

Old October 18th, 2004, 1:23 am
Registered Animagus

Yeah, but the whole Ron thing could be something that will show up in the future. He is wanting so much to be the Quidditch Captain. He feels left out cause all of his other older brothers... even Fred and George had something good while at school. Sure Ron was prefect... but he hated it. Of course he desired it... but it could come true.

Old October 18th, 2004, 1:49 am
Toodles

True I could see Ron becoming Quiditch caption in his seventh year.

Old October 18th, 2004, 1:53 am
Second Year

I don't think Ron will get the captiancy. He had really poor performance in year 5. True, his last game was good, but I think the rest of the season will count against him. And I don't think Harry will get it either. He's kind of new to the game and as a result his tactics wouldn't be as good as someone who grew up with it. Not that I don't want to see Harry as captain. But I think the most logical person will be Katie. Or maybe Alicia...what year is she? I'm not sure...

Old October 18th, 2004, 2:14 am
First Year

I believe Ron will be the new captain but not by choice. I remember JKR saying that whoever the new captain is going to be won't want Ron in the team. I think Ron won't want to remain in the team simply because of his nerves. And then if he was made captain, well I don't think Ron would be that good at pubic speaking, so I think he would rather leave the team.

**Grammer no the best, appologising in advance
Old October 18th, 2004, 5:05 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giebfried
The captain has always been the most senior member of the team... by that criteria Ginny is most definately out... I don't think harry wants the job and besides for all we know Katie has 1 year on him because otherwise McGonagall & Wood would be looking for more than just a seeker which what was implied in SS/PS
Actually, we do not know anything of the sort. If Katie was already on the team for a year by the time when Harry joined, then there are only 2 options:
1. she is in the same year as Angelina and leaving the school now (then she can not be a captain)
2. She is going in her year 7, but she started on Quiddich team in her very first year - it contradicts the statrement that Harry was the only one in the century who was playing in his first year.

Make your pick. The only way you can reconcile it is to assume that Katie startsed at the same time as Harry and JKR never needed to mention that. Then what is exactly the seniority we are talking about? an absolute time elapsed from the birth? what does it have to do with Quiddich?

but the statement that Harry is "kinda new to the game" He has 5 years on the house team (and no one EVER has more when starts as a captain: if you begin in your second year and become a captain in 7th - see, only 5, or no time to BE a captain). I do not understand when people say that the kids who grew with the game know it better - show me a devoted sports fan-coach potato who qualify for a team captain? No matter how long they have watched the games? Knowledge of the trivia does not make one a leader or a sportsman.

But absolutely the worst is the pity vote. Ickle Ronnickle wanted to be a captain so bad! he even saw it in da mirror! Harry has enough attention, lets all feel sorry for poor Ron! Harry EARNS his fame, every step of the way. Ron helps him, true. Ron is a loyal friend, and Harry may owe him his life. But that what makes Ron a good team member, not team leader! Besides, JKR said that a new captain may through Ron from the team, meaning that Ron is not going to be a captain this year and very little chance next year.

As to Harry not having enough time - I am not so sure. It appeares to me that the captains did not invest that much more time in training then other team members. I am not sure that it will make much difference.

Old October 18th, 2004, 6:05 am
Toodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikuko
As to Harry not having enough time - I am not so sure. It appeares to me that the captains did not invest that much more time in training then other team members. I am not sure that it will make much difference.
We do know that Woof spent a lot of extra time when he was leader. If I recall in COS he says something like,
Quote:
I spent the whole summer designing a new quidditch plan, were going to train earlier, harder, and longer.

I am sure that Angelina also spent quite a bit of time coming up with new plays, practice schedules and that stuff. So to me being caption sounds like a pretty demanding job.

Last edited by hpfan_08; October 18th, 2004 at 6:13 am.
Old October 18th, 2004, 7:57 am
Seventh Year

Come on, Harry spends every free moment reading or talking Quiddich anyway. So if he would do the same with some practical application in mind, what would change?

Old October 18th, 2004, 2:23 pm
Second Year

I believe Harry will be captain during sixth year and leave the position to Ron for seventh year. Harry will become HB in his seventh year, no doubt about it. He will be the leader Hogwarts need in a time of war that no other student can fullfill.

Ron doesn't really care about being a prefect (he hates it if you ask me) and HB (with even more resposibilities and a leadership role) sure he saw it in the mirror of erised but things change and he most likely will be much more happy with a position of Quidditch captain than being HB and with all due respect Ron being HB sounds rediculous to me. But anyway that's another point.

Old October 18th, 2004, 2:33 pm
Seventh Year

I think Ron will make the eventual captaincy, for two reasons. 1 the Keeper is usually the best person for captaincy simply because they can concentrate on giving directions to their team, while the rest have to focus on the game.
2 Ron is an excellent strategist (chess) and he is obsessed with quidditch so he'd probably know some excellent strategies. Yes he isn't a good leader personality wise, unlike Harry, but he does have all those other advantages.

Besides, Harry will be too busy with the war to worry about captaining the quidditch team.

Old October 18th, 2004, 6:34 pm
Seventh Year

#1. We know that often Captains are not Keepers (Cedric, Charlie). Or Keeper position would be known as a captain-track one. Which is silly. Keeper is pretty much a goalie and is the WORST position to guide the team because he is concentrating on the goal posts.

#2. Being a chess strategist is not a usfull experience for the fast sport like Quiddich. Interestingly, his strategic talents seem to be singularly limited to chess. He does not show ANY sign of them in any other area. He is definitely no strategist in every day life. I do not recall him ever reasoning like "if we do that, then this and that is likely to happen". How can we say chess will help him in quiddich, then?

#3. Let's face it, the main advantage Ron has (besides being a great person and a loyal friend, which has nothing to do with quiddich) is that he is a friend of Harry. And this is how he got on the team in the first place - other candidates performed better than him, but Angelina chose Ron because he was the mate of her star player and she thought that it will help to have a better knitted team.

#4. For goodness sake, enough with the pity votes and mistaken fairness toward Ron. Griffindor team deserves the best captain it can get, and that is undoubtfully Harry. If, for some reason, Harry can not be a captain (banned, injured, too busy with LV issues) then seek someone with better authority then Ron. Katie will do for the next year as she IS playing as long as Harry (plust the 2 games he missed in OotP). Ginny ain't a bad candidate aither. But Ron? jee. He can not even muster enough authority to be a prefect, or enough confidence to be an ordinary team player!

Last edited by ikuko; October 18th, 2004 at 6:40 pm.
Old October 18th, 2004, 6:50 pm
Registered Animagus

Hmm, I dunno, Ginny'd be good, she's not exactly the best they've got but she's good, I'm just wondering that if she's the long term captain that people aren't going to pay attention top her, like Ron for example, he'll just think that he's her brother and that he'll get off lightly and so on. Ron's a no, purley because he's a case of James at times, gets a tad big headed, so may just tantalise somone it's better not to, if you see my meaning.

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:00 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikuko
#1. We know that often Captains are not Keepers (Cedric, Charlie). Or Keeper position would be known as a captain-track one. Which is silly. Keeper is pretty much a goalie and is the WORST position to guide the team because he is concentrating on the goal posts.
good point, But Wood was a keeper.

Old October 18th, 2004, 10:08 pm
Seventh Year

So? Wood was a charismatic leader and a great player, so he could overcome the disadvantages of his position. I never said that ANY position is excluding a possibility of being a captain. Just that Keeper and Seeker are not the best ones since theit attention is not on their team-mates. But we know a good captain-keeper, and couple of captains-Seekers. What I meant was that Ron's position on the team is irrelevant for his chances of becoming a captain. They are as close to zero as ever

Old October 18th, 2004, 10:11 pm
Second Year

Ah, ok. Well i don't think Ron will become captain either. At least not next year.

Old November 23rd, 2004, 9:09 am
Sixth Year

I've already posted my position on this thread and I believe Ron will become Quidditch Captain.

Why?

Reason 1 (The Tactician):
Well, Ron is good at strategy and tactics and a decent amount of the 6 and 7th years know this, by the fact that DD publicized it at the end of PS/SS. So, the teachers know Ron is talented there.

Reason 2 (The Keeper's Advantage):
Ron is on the Quidditch team and has the position of Keeper. The Keeper, to me, just seems like the most capable of directing the team and getting messages to the referee. It is also the position that gets attacked the least, because the Captain doesn't have the Quaffle that much and therefore doesn't get attacked as often.

Reason 3 (The Rivalry):
Due to the huge possibility that Draco will take the Captaincy for Slytherin, then what would make sense more if Harry or Ron took over the Captaincy. There needs to be a balance in the rivalries. Flint v. Wood, Johnson v. Montague, and Harry or Ron v. Draco.

Reason 4 (The Key Figures):
Ron was on the team for the whole year before and improved to the point that he most likely defended the hoops so much that only one Quaffle got in the hoops in the final match for Gryffindor. Thus proving that he is in fact very good. I think that he has proved himself to a lot of people. For Harry he seriously violated the normal level of conduct after a game and that, I think, will count against him. Plus, I don't think Harry wants the position, he probably would rather have Ron get it.

Reason 5 (The Mirror Foreshadowing):
I think that Ron will get everything that he saw in the Mirror and Harry (at least in a way) will too. Ron fights to be recognized and Harry fights for people who will show that they love him.

Reason 6 (The JKR Foreshadowing):
bibwhang: Will Ron ever get on the Gryffindor quidditch team?
JK Rowling replies -> Well, he's already there! The question is, whether the new Quidditch Captain will allow him to stay!

By looking at all of the players, only Ron wanted him off the team. Most of the rest of the team were very patient of Ron's horrible playing and Ron was the only one who wanted to be off the team. Now that the Twins aren't around and Ron has obtained his new found confidence, I think that the only one to hold him back at all is him.

All in all, I think that Ron will becoming the Quidditch captain.

Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today
Indecision brings delays, days lost lamenting lost days

-Ryoga Hibiki, Ranma 1/2 OAV One Flew Over the Kuno's Nest
Old November 23rd, 2004, 4:36 pm
Sixth Year

There is a fair possibility that Harry could be the quidditch captain, but I think Ron is a more likely choice. It would be good to see him getting some extra responsibility (and the credit that would come with it). He has a keen mind and a good team spirit and a huge interest in Quidditch. Also he would have to mature even more for that kind of a role, and that would be great . After all, he has shown that he is more than capable on the pitch and also holds the same position as Wood did...

I'm no superman.
grarpirates
flickr

Last edited by Alfonzo_X; November 23rd, 2004 at 4:39 pm.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies