Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

The New Gryffindor Quidditch Captain v2

Old November 23rd, 2004, 5:05 pm
Sixth Year

"
There shouldn't be any reason for not having quidditch at Hogwarts in Book 6. In fact, it'll probably be one of the best things that the students can do in order to take their minds of the comming Second War."

I seem to remember several times when Quidditch was suspended from the school.

1. There was a basilisk running around, petrifying people.
2. Sirius Black was on the loose.
3. Triwizard Tournament.

Three books where quidditch was either suspended completely or partly from the books, for all teams.

I'd say that with the second war starting, there's a very good chance quidditch will be cancelled. Again.

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2004, 6:17 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leprechaun
I've already posted my position on this thread and I believe Ron will become Quidditch Captain.

Reason 6 (The JKR Foreshadowing):
bibwhang: Will Ron ever get on the Gryffindor quidditch team?
JK Rowling replies -> Well, he's already there! The question is, whether the new Quidditch Captain will allow him to stay!

By looking at all of the players, only Ron wanted him off the team. Most of the rest of the team were very patient of Ron's horrible playing and Ron was the only one who wanted to be off the team. Now that the Twins aren't around and Ron has obtained his new found confidence, I think that the only one to hold him back at all is him.

All in all, I think that Ron will becoming the Quidditch captain.
Reason 6 is one major reason against Ron becoming captain, you can twist that comment all around but making it a pro for ron becoming captain is stretching it an afwul lot imo. It could just mean that he will be playing badly the first few training sessions matches and the captain (Katie or Harry most likely will have to decide to let him stay).

Besides Quidditch captain after one good game seems not very plausable to me. He will become quidditch captain in 7th I think, one more year of experience and growing up will do him good.

Harry or Katie in 6th, Ron in 7th so that Harry can be HB, everybody happy!

Old November 23rd, 2004, 9:46 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
I've already posted my position on this thread and I believe Ron will become Quidditch Captain.
It is great that you already posted, but have you read any of the posts by other people? Because most of your arguments were already brought up, discussed and mostly counteracted. BTW, giving your arguments titles does not make them any more convincing.

Quote:
Reason 1 (The Tactician):
Well, Ron is good at strategy and tactics and a decent amount of the 6 and 7th years know this, by the fact that DD publicized it at the end of PS/SS. So, the teachers know Ron is talented there.
Actually, Ron is showing his strategic talents exclusively in chess. In real life he has no sign of being able to calculate any concequences of his (or anyone else) actions. And teachers know it.
Quote:
Reason 2 (The Keeper's Advantage):
Ron is on the Quidditch team and has the position of Keeper. The Keeper, to me, just seems like the most capable of directing the team and getting messages to the referee. It is also the position that gets attacked the least, because the Captain doesn't have the Quaffle that much and therefore doesn't get attacked as often.
Again, was discussed. Keeper must watch the goal posts, not his team, so the keeper position, as well as seeker, are not the best ones for a captain; however, a good leader can overcome this. Too bad Ron is no leader.

Quote:
Reason 3 (The Rivalry):
Due to the huge possibility that Draco will take the Captaincy for Slytherin, then what would make sense more if Harry or Ron took over the Captaincy. There needs to be a balance in the rivalries. Flint v. Wood, Johnson v. Montague, and Harry or Ron v. Draco.
So, as Harry is the main antagonist for Draco, HE has to become a captain? LOL. Too weak an argument, anyway.

Quote:
Reason 4 (The Key Figures):
Ron was on the team for the whole year before and improved to the point that he most likely defended the hoops so much that only one Quaffle got in the hoops in the final match for Gryffindor. Thus proving that he is in fact very good. I think that he has proved himself to a lot of people. For Harry he seriously violated the normal level of conduct after a game and that, I think, will count against him. Plus, I don't think Harry wants the position, he probably would rather have Ron get it.
It proves that he can play. When he does not have his nerves, that is. Harry did not violate anything, kids fight all the time, and the punishment he recieved was unjust. Even Snape did not consider fighting as big of a deal, and only dedacted points. Lets not twist the plot. If, for soem unknown reason, the rediculous ban would hold, then Harry would not be able to become a captain, true. Does not mean that Ron would automatically get it.

Look, it is keeper's JOB top protect the goal posts. That what they do. It might be impressive, but the enthusiasm of Griffindor after the victory was mainly due to Ron's performance being unexpected, and nothing more. He played well. So? It was Ginny who won. Number of points Ron saved was less than the number of points Ginny gained. Griffindor praised Ron's performans because he was not as bad as they thought.

Quote:
Reason 5 (The Mirror Foreshadowing):
I think that Ron will get everything that he saw in the Mirror and Harry (at least in a way) will too. Ron fights to be recognized and Harry fights for people who will show that they love him.
<sigh> How many times does JKR have to say the mirror predicts NOTHING?

Quote:
Reason 6 (The JKR Foreshadowing):
bibwhang: Will Ron ever get on the Gryffindor quidditch team?
JK Rowling replies -> Well, he's already there! The question is, whether the new Quidditch Captain will allow him to stay!By looking at all of the players, only Ron wanted him off the team. Most of the rest of the team were very patient of Ron's horrible playing and Ron was the only one who wanted to be off the team. Now that the Twins aren't around and Ron has obtained his new found confidence, I think that the only one to hold him back at all is him.
I can not make sense of this argument. Ron's stay on the team depends on the team captain. Therefore it will be NOT Ron. Case closed. Why try to stand JKR words on the head?

Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:07 pm
Registered Animagus

Who's actually left on the team from PS? I thought Ginny said something about Katy and Alicia leaving at the end of OOTP anyway...

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:09 pm
Second Year

It will problably Harry. I couldn't stand it if it was Ron with a the complaining he did in OOTF.

Old November 24th, 2004, 11:18 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikuko
#3. Let's face it, the main advantage Ron has (besides being a great person and a loyal friend, which has nothing to do with quiddich) is that he is a friend of Harry. And this is how he got on the team in the first place - other candidates performed better than him, but Angelina chose Ron because he was the mate of her star player and she thought that it will help to have a better knitted team.
Well, that isn't the actual reason. Ron got on the team because he showed promise and wasn't going to be annoying, not because he was Harry's best mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikuko
It is great that you already posted, but have you read any of the posts by other people? Because most of your arguments were already brought up, discussed and mostly counteracted. BTW, giving your arguments titles does not make them any more convincing.

Actually, Ron is showing his strategic talents exclusively in chess. In real life he has no sign of being able to calculate any concequences of his (or anyone else) actions. And teachers know it.
Again, was discussed. Keeper must watch the goal posts, not his team, so the keeper position, as well as seeker, are not the best ones for a captain; however, a good leader can overcome this. Too bad Ron is no leader.

So, as Harry is the main antagonist for Draco, HE has to become a captain? LOL. Too weak an argument, anyway.

It proves that he can play. When he does not have his nerves, that is. Harry did not violate anything, kids fight all the time, and the punishment he recieved was unjust. Even Snape did not consider fighting as big of a deal, and only dedacted points. Lets not twist the plot. If, for soem unknown reason, the rediculous ban would hold, then Harry would not be able to become a captain, true. Does not mean that Ron would automatically get it.

Look, it is keeper's JOB top protect the goal posts. That what they do. It might be impressive, but the enthusiasm of Griffindor after the victory was mainly due to Ron's performance being unexpected, and nothing more. He played well. So? It was Ginny who won. Number of points Ron saved was less than the number of points Ginny gained. Griffindor praised Ron's performans because he was not as bad as they thought.

<sigh> How many times does JKR have to say the mirror predicts NOTHING?

I can not make sense of this argument. Ron's stay on the team depends on the team captain. Therefore it will be NOT Ron. Case closed. Why try to stand JKR words on the head?
1) Ummm... that was rude. So, I gave them titles. I posted my opinion and put the reasons, you don't have to agree, but being offensive about it isn't very reasonable.

2) Keeper is a great position. It is back where on ecan see the entire field, it is much easier to signal the referee since you don't have people flying around every second of the game. Yes, you aren't in the action as much, but in some ways that is a good thing. It is similar to a coach who actually participates in the game. Keepers aren't being assailled by Quaffles at every turn, Chasers are dealing with this much more (same with beaters, except it is with bludgers). Seekers are usually too busy with their own thing to be truly effective leaders. It is very much like being a chess player or the King piece.

3) I'm sorry if I believe it is more reasonable to put Harry or Ron as captain to counter Draco. It just makes sense that one of Draco's rivals is captain to go against him (I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that Draco is going to be the next Slytherin captain).

4) I never said anything about the ban holding, I think that it is over and we can expect Harry to be back as Gryffindor Seeker. I just think that Harry's actions and subsequent time off are going to hurt his chances.

5) You don't know this, Ginny's 150 could easily be equal or less than the number of goals Ron defended. I'd say that Ron allowing only 10 points in and Ginny pulling 150 more points is what made them win, not only the game, but also the cup. Btw, Ginny caught the snitch and yet Ron seemed to get more praise for only letting one goal in.

6) I remember reading somewhere that the mirror might hold something, in what the two boys saw, for the future.

7) It was an idea and something I saw as the only, in my opinion, logical explanation for that quote. Can you point me out one current team member who seemed like they wanted Ron off the team? If my memory serves me, Ron is the only person who said he should be off the team.

It's okay to disagree, but please try to be a little more respectful.

Tomorrow sees undone, what happens not today
Indecision brings delays, days lost lamenting lost days

-Ryoga Hibiki, Ranma 1/2 OAV One Flew Over the Kuno's Nest
Old November 24th, 2004, 7:01 pm
First Year

Ron will captian, no doubt

Old November 26th, 2004, 2:06 am
Unspeakable

I haven't read this whole thread, but I really like the idea of Ginny being the new captain. She's definitely good enough, she's got the spunk to keep everybody in line and she won't have too much responsibility. Maybe it's just because she's my favorite character, but I really hope she gets it.

Old November 26th, 2004, 2:12 am
First Year

i think the team member with the most experience left is harry so it would probably be him if the ban is lifted and he still has interest in the sport or if quidditch is even going to be a main priority now at hogwarts

Old November 26th, 2004, 4:08 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Keeper must watch the goal posts, not his team, so the keeper position, as well as seeker, are not the best ones for a captain; however, a good leader can overcome this. Too bad Ron is no leader.
Just because someone is captain doesn't mean they're always going to do a good job at it. My friend and fellow captain was the goalie for our soccer team; I was the striker. He wasn't the greatest, and he questioned himself denouncing his captaincy. This CAN happen to Ron as well; he may let his share go in and he'll start to question whether he really deserves the captaincy. Maybe Prof. McGonagall made the mistake of appointing him such, as some people are human and make mistakes. Maybe she just felt that this would give Ron some newfound confidence. This could all open up a subplot in the book where Ron needs to question himself and find his courage in order to be a leader. He's always said that Harry has gotten his share of fame, and now he should be able to get his chance. And if he succeeds, well, he should be able to see the field and tell his teammates what's going on, as ANY keeper in ANY sport can do.

Oh, and Lepre, I like your arguments, as 'weak' as perceived.

Last edited by Avada Kedavra; November 26th, 2004 at 4:13 pm.
Old November 26th, 2004, 4:12 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra
Just because someone is captain doesn't mean they're always going to do a good job at it. My friend and fellow captain was the goalie for our soccer team; I was the striker. He wasn't the greatest, and he questioned himself denouncing his captaincy. This CAN happen to Ron as well; he may let his share go in and he'll start to question whether he really deserves the captaincy. Maybe Prof. McGonagall made the mistake of appointing him such, as some people are human and make mistakes. Maybe she just felt that this would give Ron some newfound confidence. This could all open up a subplot in the book where Ron needs to question himself and find his courage in order to be a leader. He's always said that Harry has gotten his share of fame, and now he should be able to get his chance. And if he succeeds, well, he should be able to see the field and tell his teammates what's going on, as ANY keeper in ANY sport can do.
I don't think McGonagall would let Ron into the team to help his "self-esteem problem," mainly because he doesn't have one now that he won that last match. Besides, she wouldn't put an incompetent person in charge of the team. She want's Gryffindor to win, and that means gutting a good leader and Quidditch player in charge.

Old November 26th, 2004, 4:20 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerLynch
I don't think McGonagall would let Ron into the team to help his "self-esteem problem," mainly because he doesn't have one now that he won that last match. Besides, she wouldn't put an incompetent person in charge of the team. She want's Gryffindor to win, and that means gutting a good leader and Quidditch player in charge.
I believe that Ron's only struggle from being a complete Quidditch player was his confidence. From being such a die-hard fan of the sport, I would assume that he has all of the strategies down; it was just a matter of having confidence in his ability to do so. I don't think that he was incompetent at all. Now that he's found his ability, I'm pretty sure that he will become a better skilled player. But of course, that brings a bigger downfall, if he lets in a few by accident. Even if his team wins 260-40, he'll be questioning his SUPERB keeper skills and wonder why he made such mistakes. And that's where I believe he'll contemplate leaving the team, or dropping the captaincy or whatnot. I think his confidence in himself is easy to gain, but just as easy to lose.

Old November 26th, 2004, 4:25 pm
Fourth Year

I'm not saying he's an incompetent player, but I do think he's not a leader. Haven't you seen his performance as a Prefect? He's perfectly open with close friends, but he's kind of shy and reserved around others.

Old November 26th, 2004, 4:32 pm
Second Year

Shy and reserved?

"Yeah? Well unfortunately for you pal, I'm also a prefect! So unless you want detention, watch your mouth!" Ron to Seamus

"Here's an idea. Why don't you shut your mouth?" Ron to Zacharias

Our Ron is changing. That may have been the case in the earlier books, but he seems to be more vocal to everyone in particular. In any case, he would be leaders of his teammates, people he's practiced with and gotten to know as well, not strangers.

Old November 26th, 2004, 4:37 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
"Yeah? Well unfortunately for you pal, I'm also a prefect! So unless you want detention, watch your mouth!" Ron to Seamus

"Here's an idea. Why don't you shut your mouth?"
A, he knows Seamus very well; B, He was standing up for his best friend both times. Ron can get in a fight even if he's not a good leader.

Old November 26th, 2004, 4:41 pm
Second Year

So we agree that Ron isn't shy or reserved anymore?

Old November 26th, 2004, 4:49 pm
Fourth Year

Okay, I guess you're right. He's not shy or reserved. I was thinking more of the Ron in the earlier books. But I still don't think he's the best leader (at least not as good as Harry).

Old November 26th, 2004, 4:54 pm
Second Year

Well remember Dumbledore didn't make Harry prefect because he had enough going on at the moment. Harry probably is the better choice...but just like the whole prefect deal, Ron would get it. Ron may get it 6th year, and maybe Harry 7th. Or maybe both?

Old November 26th, 2004, 5:29 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lplus
I tend to agree about Katie being captain. It seems unlikely the two beaters Andrew and Jack would have been 7th years in book 5 so they should be available. That leaves another chaser required, assuming Ron stays as goal, and Harry seeker, with Ginny trying for chaser. Dean hasn't shown any interest so far, but he could try out to join his girlfriend. Seamus would have been asked during book 5 as well. Alternatively another 5th or 4th year might take an interest.

sAme here

Old November 26th, 2004, 9:40 pm
Second Year

I think nobody here doubts Ron's strategic capabilities and ability to captain the quidditch team (it's only 7 players who know eachother pretty well anyway), it's more the fact that he is only playing on the team for a year and has only played well in his last match. It would be really weird if McGonagall would pass over Katie and Harry who played the game 4 more years and have proven themselves to be consistent over many seasons. It doesn't make sense to make him captain in 6th year. If Harry has not enough time for being quidditch captain, then Katie would be captain and like JKR said she has to decide to keep Ron on the team or drop him (see JKR quote in this thread).

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies