Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Can the films help us determine what's important for future books? v2

Old December 7th, 2004, 9:48 am
McMugwump Supreme

Can the films help us determine what's important for future books? v2

Please find version one here for your viewing pleasure.

The films are an interesting aspect to the fandom. For some, they were the keys to their Harry Potter enthusiasm, while for others they represent a detraction from the books. Whatever your thoughts are on the films, there is no doubt that they do, sadly, serve a purpose in helping fans determine what exactly is "important" in terms of upcoming storylines for HBP and beyond.

In addition to the editing process that allows fans to interpret what potentially is and isn't "important", JKR recently stated that PoA "foreshadowed" some of the events of future books. The cemetary at Hogwarts is being discussed in this thread, but feel free to discuss any elements of PoA in particular you think foreshadow HBP.

Anyway, discuss!

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2004, 9:54 am
Seventh Year

Well the whole Lupin/Lilly thing caught my attention, thinking back to the text, the change from Sirius to Peter was done without telling Lupin and apparantly it was done because Lupin was thought to be a spy and Lupin doesn't appear in any of the wedding photographs that Harry has in his photobook, I think there maybe something there...
CD

Old December 13th, 2004, 9:26 am
The Next Great Adventurer

At the beginning of PoA Aunt Marge says "blood will out... it's nothing to do with father, it's all to do with the mother." I think this foreshadows that Lily is descended from Gryffiindor.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old December 13th, 2004, 9:49 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm
At the beginning of PoA Aunt Marge says "blood will out... it's nothing to do with father, it's all to do with the mother." I think this foreshadows that Lily is descended from Gryffiindor.
Hmm, I don't know about that. After all, it was Aunt Marge who said it. And anyway, she said something quite similar in the book.

I think the foreshadowing has more to do with the romance in the series, as the relationships between certain characters are always a bit more obvious in the movies.

He lived in prehistoric times when the air was fresh and the water was pure.

Ogg is extinct.

Figure that one out.

--Conchy on the Halfshell
Old December 13th, 2004, 10:30 am
Fifth Year

I think the filmmakers might accidentally foreshadow something that JKR had thought about but I don't think they know anything about what will happen in the future books. I doubt JKR would tell them, and she doesn't seem to have that much influence on the films to be honest. I don't think she'd allow some of the changes that were made (Hermoine's character anyone....) if she'd had more influence.

So no, I don't think they can tell us what's important in future books, more than odd details by pure chance.

Old December 13th, 2004, 10:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiah
Hmm, I don't know about that. After all, it was Aunt Marge who said it. And anyway, she said something quite similar in the book.

I think the foreshadowing has more to do with the romance in the series, as the relationships between certain characters are always a bit more obvious in the movies.
I checked the book. She says the line about blood, but then doesn't say the part about it not having to do with the father, that it was all to do with the mother.

It doesn't matter if Aunt Marge said it or not. JKR said a couple of things in the movie will look like foreshadowing later even though they weren't put in deliberately.

Old December 13th, 2004, 2:22 pm
First Year

Did anyone else notice that when Harry, Hermione, and Ron thought that buckbeak had been executed that Hermione immediately turned and embraced Ron, and then Harry began to cling to her, something small but I always thought it was the kind of thing they might do that accidentally foreshawdows a romance if any in further books like Hermione and Ron get together and Harry feels like and outsider, i dunno its probs nothing...

Everybody finished the song at different times. At last, only the Weasley twins were left singing along to a very slow funeral march.

"S'up Figgy?"

Old December 13th, 2004, 2:25 pm
Fourth Year

Yep, a lot of people noticed that. In fact, the movies are one of the strongest arguments for the Ron/Hermione Ship. That and the fact that J.K. has practically said it several times.

I feel strongly that Cuaron is a Heron. Probably because it's the most probable. Although the other two movies hinted it too.

Hello Darkness, My Old Friend...

Old December 14th, 2004, 1:53 am
Zonko's Employee

I really don't think it's the romance. They were really just jumping the gun based on clues from the future books.

What I've came up with is - Sirius's face in the crystal ball talking to Harry.

The new friend for Draco that isn't Goyle.

An annoying fat black kid will say stupid things...Kidding!!

Old December 14th, 2004, 2:38 am
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

I think that certian things can be interpreted as clues from the movies, and especially the third since JKR said so.

I think the obvious choice is the Hermoine/Ron relationship, but I think this is the obvious choice. When dealing with JKR, though, the obvious isn't always the correct choice.

The forshadowing is probably something subtle. The idea that Nott (JKR confirmed that it is him on her website) is in the scene instead of Goyle in a few scenes in the movie is peculiar.

Sirius' face in the crystall ball, like Fuchia says, would be high on the likely list, I think. It would be very JKRish if this were a clue.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old December 14th, 2004, 2:44 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I would have to say yes since jk has already said there is some forshadowing of things to come in PoA. It seems to eme that says that things that happen in the film definatly do foreshadow ceratin things

Elizebeth: Barbosa marry us.
(best movie scene ever!)

"

Will Turner: "It depends on the one day.
Old December 14th, 2004, 2:57 am
Second Year

No, I dont think so.

Definatley not, I like to believe that the movies are just a copy of the books (even if they are not that pleasing) and that they shouldnt have anything to do with the feuture books and that if we want to find things that give us a head start on the feuture books we should look at the clues hidden in the books (they are there we just have to find them)

I want to find you so bad
And tell you that I'm miserable up here without you
The Prioris An amazing RPG Site you cant afford to miss out on!
Old December 14th, 2004, 3:48 am
Fifth Year

i think it obviously does bc jk made a comment about that

Old December 14th, 2004, 4:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaStar_1000
Definatley not, I like to believe that the movies are just a copy of the books (even if they are not that pleasing) and that they shouldnt have anything to do with the feuture books and that if we want to find things that give us a head start on the feuture books we should look at the clues hidden in the books (they are there we just have to find them)
I think that JKR meant that things that showed up in the films foreshadowed things to come in the books, even though she didn't suggest they put the clues in.

Old December 16th, 2004, 1:29 pm
First Year

JKR did say that there is foreshadowing in the PoA movie didn't she.
But I think that the books should just be about the books and not putting in specific clues to future books. Though the books do have foreshadowing in them so....

Old December 16th, 2004, 10:44 pm
First Year

JKR said so .. I'm guessing it's the Ron and Hermione thing. What gets me is Hermione doing the werewolf call and Lupin responding to it even though Hermione said before that a werewolf only responds to the call of its own kind. I doubt Hermione's a werewolf .. but it might be something along those lines? Don't know. It confuses me though.

Old December 16th, 2004, 11:20 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
also do agree that the movie did foreshadow hermione perhaps becoming a werewolf.. OR trying to find a way to deal with werewolves or something, because when she approached lupin after he had just transformed, she said lupin questioningly as if she thought that he was really just hidden in there somewhere, and she could bring the real him out... just a thought
I was just thinking, it wasn't just the wolf call, it was when she was trying to reach him by speaking to him, for a second there he started wimpering.

I don't think she'll become a werewolf but MAYBE she's Lupin's daughter? Maybe she was adopted by the Grangers. If she's Lupin's daughter that would explain why he responded to her.

This could involve Lily as well. Lupin's past is a mystery. If Lily was there for him at a time when no one else was - does that mean not even Sirius or James or Peter?

Old December 17th, 2004, 12:07 am
Second Year

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, but I cant stop reading threads like this! You all have got really interesting theories.

Lets see...I'm almost sure that there are some little things in the films that may give us a kind of "clues". Heyman's always telling how generous Jo is...
And then there's the "foreshadowing" thing Alfonso talks about. Mmm...

This is my list of "strange things" in the POA movie:

- Remus/Lily thing. As Corbin Dallas sais, that got my attention too. Long timem ago,I was wandering why he is not mentioned to be in their wedding, as Sirius was. And the fact that they believed he was a spy...
moreover, have you noticed the way he talks about Lily? Not the same way as he talks abot James at all. Maybe that's the misterious important pairing...

- Sirius inside the crystal ball (thanks Fuchsia ) Maybe it's Two way Mirror instead crystal ball?

- Nott instead Goyle.

- Ron/Hermione/Harry...and Buckbeak.- Well well...delicate stuff! lol... I must confess I'm not very much fond of Ron/hermione pairing. But I did was. Until Order of The Phoenix I thought that the thing was plain....but after reading the fifth, I got another quite opposite feeling.
I mean, i agree with angel spirit: the movies leads us to R/Hr thing..but also the books. I mean, the GOF shows us clearly that Ron had a thing for Hermione, and viseversa. So that its not legally " Movie foreshadow", in my opinion. But in the fifth book I think Hermione pays much more attention to Harry, while Ron seems to be more and more involved with feelings for her .

As Aragog _addict, I think the Buckbeak's scene its in my list of foreshadows, but from another angle. I mean..Hermione hugs Ron...but Harry hugs Hermione. Dunno...R/Hr would be the obvious, but Jo doesnt like the obvious

In summary: I cant wait to see whats happening!!!

Last edited by eRiN_GRyFFiN; December 17th, 2004 at 12:11 am.
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:18 am
Second Year

Hmmmm....It's likely that the foreshadowing in the movie wasn't in the books (although not for sure), so...

Sirius's face in the cyrstal ball (now that was weird. Why the heck would Sirius's face be talking to Harry from a cyrstal ball? Why did they do that?) could symbolize that Harry will find a way to talk to Sirius...though in my opinion that would absolutely ruin it. Harry has to come to grips with the fact that Sirius is gone, otherwise he'll never let go and keep living in the past...

Whoops got to go eat supper I'll be back to edit this later.

I'm back!

The Ron/Hermione stuff seems pretty obvious (obvious is not always good remember) and anyway I think that they'll wind up together anyway.

Hermione's wolf howl does not mean that she is a werewolf (that would be pretty much immpossoble), but mabye she'll become an anigmus? It's an interesting thought.

Beaky fighting Lupin...I don't think that anyone has thought of this yet. What will happen to him now that Sirius is gone? Mabye something that will hurt Lupin?

The Forum's Unofficial Elder Scrolls Fanboy.
FFXIII--one of the cooler trailers you've ever seen.

Last edited by JakeOfRavenclaw; December 17th, 2004 at 11:31 am.
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:32 am
Fifth Year

I noticed that Harry saw Sirius in the crystal ball. Either they will speak again (from the beyond) or Harry is a seer.

Other things in the movie I noticed:

Snape

* He's awefully good at navigating in the dark
* When he subbed for Lupin he closed all the windows (letting the light in) before he passed before them
* Bats swarming around outside during the time turner sequence

Hints that he may be a vampire

Crows

They landed on Fudge's head
They nipped at Harry

Hermione

"You're dying....both of you" (Dementor's by the lake)
Wolf howl
Trying to reach Lupin (and almost succeeding)

Draco

"I'm gonna get that jumped up mudblood if it's the last thing I do"

I've always thought that Draco is going to make good on that promise. And not by hurling more insults. Like physically attack her.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies