Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Can the films help us determine what's important for future books? v2

Old February 16th, 2005, 5:54 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterFan7
At the end of CoS JKR did an interview, and she stated that she DID NOT tell the film makers the outcome of the story: it is a suprise to them too.
JKR did also state in that same interview that Steve Kloves had a very good idea of where the story was heading. She made a slightly sneering comment that his ideas were a lot better and more accurate than were most of the fan ideas! (Of course, that would almost have to be true given the incredible variety of fan ideas.)

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2005, 2:34 pm
Fourth Year

she has said that some tings in poa forshadow things that will happen in the
last books.she was serprised I think we must look at seans that were added or
modified for the movie

we see nott when draco gets decked (2 books befor hes introduced in ootp)
we see blacks face in the cristal ball gest befor harry heras pracy#2 from terlony
(comunicat with black (hbp) with a crstal ball?)
we know she loved the head.

but as most forshadowing we can olny see the line after the fact(or july 16)

Old April 29th, 2005, 11:22 pm
Fourth Year

snape protecting foreshadow

In the movie we see Snape run out of the whomping willow and the werewolf approaches him and he turns around and then protects the kids by staying in the front and putting out his arms in front to also help. This was not in the book. Rather Snape was still unconscious, which is good because he does not know Sirius is an animagus. Do you think this could foreshadow Snape sacrificing himself in a battle or protecting??? This may be the relationship changes JK said were foreshadowed. Perhaps this will change Ron's suspicions, cool some of harry's anger and make Hermione say I told you so! Then Snape may indeed be on the good side. Hooray. For if he isn't I will be upset.

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living and above all, those who live without love."

Tom Riddle's death was the saddest in Deathly Hallows, because he never really lived.
Old May 18th, 2005, 6:35 pm
Second Year

I think people often underestimate the films. They are after all telling the same story but because of time restrictions they have to adapt that books. It's how they do this that gives a lot away. What they include and miss out is often very telling, especially at this stage in the series. A good example would be Peeves. The fact that he isn't in the films at all tells us pretty conclusivly that he won't play a big part in the end of the book series

The main elements of forshadowing that struck me in PoA were
1- Lupin's comment about Lily being there for him
2- The Ron/Hermione ship
3- The cemetery comment in the interview (why on earth would a school need a centetery?!)
4- Dumbledore's random ramblings- dreams being a world of our own, turning on a light etc.
5- Harry's partonus- I don't think it was ever shown as a stag although I might be wrong.
6- The relationship between the marauders was never fully explained eg- the fact that they made the map, animagus forms.

I'm sure there were a few other things but my mind has gone blank. Anyway my point really is that although the films aren't cannon, they may give clues that we haven't had in the books yet

Old May 19th, 2005, 3:44 am
Fifth Year

sure. by cutting out peeves, most of bloody baron, S.P.E.W. and etc, we know that these characters and stuff WONT suddenly play major parts in the future books (ala sirius black).

guess that means we'll never know where those bloodstains come from, or why peeves is afraid of baron.

edit: oh great, someone beat me to the peeves not being important thing!

Last edited by Mae; May 19th, 2005 at 3:47 am.
Old May 19th, 2005, 3:49 am
Seventh Year

Also it was planned that GoF would be more of an action film, as well, this is good for smart discoveries...because though there will still be humour, actions can also have serious stuff (lots of foreshadowing)...

"To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." - Albus Dumbledore

In somnio vivo, in mea vera Domo, regno Dei, expergiscar.

Check out: Harry Potter and Philosophy
Old May 19th, 2005, 3:52 am
Secret Keeper

According to JKR, there was foreshadowing in all of the movies, and once we read the books, those of us who've seen the movies will go, duh, of course. So, yes, the movies will help to make certain connections. But when?

Old May 19th, 2005, 3:54 am
Seventh Year

Perhaps with Krum, for Hermoine is still writing to him

Perhaps when Voldemort or Dumbledore is talking to Harry near the end, we will get a hint of more information as well...

"To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." - Albus Dumbledore

In somnio vivo, in mea vera Domo, regno Dei, expergiscar.

Check out: Harry Potter and Philosophy
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:22 am
Third Year

Yes what they laeve in will be needed to understand future movies.

Old May 25th, 2005, 12:48 am
Sixth Year

"You're dying - both of you" - Hermione, when Sirius and Harry are being mobbed by dementors...sounded prophetic, especially now that Sirius HAS died.

Lupin/Lily thing. Something is going on there!

The crows...can't put my finger on it...but they are symbolic of something! I'm feeling stupid, I can't get that "blackbirds baked in a pie" line out of my head...it's crows! Idiot! Crows!

Harry was finding the Great Hall very hot all of a sudden, even though the ceiling still looked cold and rainy.
Old May 25th, 2005, 3:07 am
Fourth Year

Jo Rowling: Alfonso had good intuition about what would and wouldn't work. He's put things in the film that, without knowing it, foreshadow things that are going to happen in the final two books. So I really got goosebumps when I saw a couple of those things, and I thought people are going to look back on the film and think those were put in deliberately as clues.

http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/art...104-poadvd.htm

this is the quote from pov dvd

Old May 25th, 2005, 8:21 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel2099
Jo Rowling: Alfonso had good intuition about what would and wouldn't work. He's put things in the film that, without knowing it, foreshadow things that are going to happen in the final two books. So I really got goosebumps when I saw a couple of those things, and I thought people are going to look back on the film and think those were put in deliberately as clues.

http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/art...104-poadvd.htm

this is the quote from pov dvd
I saw this too and I was thinking about how Ron and Hermione is heavily foreshadowed in the movies, at least more so than in the books(as far as 1-3 are concerned)

Old May 25th, 2005, 10:52 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by neXigram
I saw this too and I was thinking about how Ron and Hermione is heavily foreshadowed in the movies, at least more so than in the books(as far as 1-3 are concerned)

But would JKR really get 'goosebumps' over a romantic subplot? I kind of doubt it ... it has to be one of the more chilling moments. Perhaps Ron's hand against the train window, or Harry yelling to Ron about Sirius betraying his friends, or of course the Lupin/Lily --> Harry on the bridge moment.

Old May 25th, 2005, 3:32 pm
Second Year

One thing she's brought up is that she makes sure everything important to the long term story gets in. To me, that suggests that H/G shippers are putting too much emphasis on certain things as "forshadowing", and perhaps overplaying Ginny's importance. I've seen some shippers insist that the relationship between Harry and Ginny is the true heart, and most important thing, of the series, the key to defeating Voldemort, etc. I've even seen some insist that Ginny is the true female lead of the series (Hermione who?). Well, if JKR makes sure all the key stuff gets in the movies, where was the "all important" Ginny chasing the train scene in the first movie (very, very, vital, according to the shippers), and why did she have all of one line in the third?

It's also probably not a good idea to overpush the R/Hr elements in the third movie. Them being attracted to each other isn't exactly something that's been subtle in the books, the sort of thing JKR was describing. Plus, while Hermione would grab Ron, Harry would grab Hermione, at one point in the same shot. So, if anything is implied, there, well... It doesn't help the R/Hr ship, or it gives it a big future complication.

The biggest shipping related overreaction, though, has to be the declaration that, when Remus hugged Sirius after having not seen him for all those years, but now realizing he was innocent, the Sirius/Remus ship was "proven", and now "canon".

I know I'm sounding anti-ship here, but I'm not. I find ships fun, especially the unconventional ones. But, these aren't romance novels. What floored JKR was likely something that will be genuinely vital. It was also something that gave her "goosebumps". I don't see a little hand holding getting that reaction.

Hermione, when she smacked Draco in the book, didn't have her wand at his throat about to do some major harm to him, first, with him realzing he's just pushed her too far and was now fearing for his life. "He's not worth it!" This was followed, a few scenes later, with "Come get the nice dead ferret". Maybe we have a good idea about Draco's ultimate fate, and who does him in?

Last edited by perceval; May 25th, 2005 at 3:48 pm.
Old May 25th, 2005, 3:48 pm
Third Year

No, I don't think they do. Actually I think the films overlook a lot of very important details.

Old May 25th, 2005, 3:50 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeRmIoNe_14
No, I don't think they do. Actually I think the films overlook a lot of very important details.
Then, why would JKR, herself, insist that all the important stuff gets in? I think she'd know what is and what isn't vital, more than any shipper. She's said she confers with the screenwriters to be sure they don't miss anything that will mean something big, later on.

Old May 26th, 2005, 3:11 am
Fourth Year

I think that the fans definition of "important" is different from JKR's definition "important". She has the overall story in her mind and like perceval said she works with the screenwriters to make sure the important stuff gets in. What doesn't seem important to us might end up being important in books 6 and 7. In the interview on the DVD Alfonso and JKR he was also talking about how in the scene when Buckbeak was "executed" he wanted a graveyard scene, but she stopped him because a) the graveyard is in a different location and b) it was going to play an important roll in one of the next books. With the enthusiasm he was talking about this she was looking at him as if she was half afraid he was going to spill the beans on the future of the plot.

Member of the Hogwarts String Orchestra
Old May 26th, 2005, 7:17 am
First Year

hey vry1! i was watchn da POA and the dvd extra a while back and i noticed sumthn, wid da choir and da song in da beginin, where at the end of the song they say and im sory if im mistaken, "something wicked this way comes", and another scene is where all da dementors are drifting around the castle, and one of them in front of the camera, actualy, again if im mistaken sorry, tighens its fist (show of anger, rite?), and then there is that door scene where we see bout a million locks on the door, looks like a coming invansion if u ask me! nyway those are my thoughts n im new here so tell me what u think

Old May 26th, 2005, 8:25 pm
First Year

"Snape

* He's awefully good at navigating in the dark
* When he subbed for Lupin he closed all the windows (letting the light in) before he passed before them
* Bats swarming around outside during the time turner sequence

Hints that he may be a vampire
:

I think the Bats and moving around in the dark are good points But, in the movie if you recall he did shut the windows, but if you recall when he was giving his lecture on warewolves he was using a "wall projector" the images were projected on the wall.

Kim

Old August 26th, 2006, 5:15 am
Third Year

Re: Can the films help us determine what's important for future books? v2

If the films do foreshadow anything, it's only because they've either picked up on a foreshadowing that JKR wrote into the book plots, or by complete accident because something was more fun on film than what was written in the book.

Although the films do leave many things out due to time restrictions, they really have been pretty darn close to the books with what they do include, even down to the words used by Dumbledore and etc.

If the question this thread is intending to ask is "Do you think JKR allows the film makers to include hints at what is to come that the books do not include?", then the answer would have to be no.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies