Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Have any Slytherins ever been trustworthy?

Old February 19th, 2005, 4:14 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

As Hagrid said "there wasn't a wizard who went bad that didn't start in Slytherin". He didn't say "All Slytherins are bad".

(Although it's interesting that when he said it Sirius was considered a "wizard who went bad").

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2005, 4:38 pm
First Year

Some slytherins are trustworthy but then again can you honesty say you can trust anyone? If you can't trust anyone who says if they are sltherin or not. I don't trust any of you because I don't know you and you can't honestly tell me your all slytherins.

Old February 19th, 2005, 5:09 pm
Fifth Year

But it depends on what you call bad,also. I mean not every slytherin goes about like malfoy or like tom riddle. If you take people with lower profile, you would need to define what bad qualities are. I mean, for example, if crabbe and goyle were not with malfoy, would you have considered them to be evil? Bad? I mean, we would think of them as fools, but not evil, probably because they are not intelligent enough to be evil. .

Are all griffindors good? That too depends on what you consider goodness as. look at it from padma's point of view. She would be thinking of ron as a jerk. Is what she thinking wrong? We would say yes, ron is good, but if anyone comes and behaves like that to me, i would feel like her. I do not mean to say he is bad, but each person thinks of things differently. Perhaps if we were never told ron's character or emotions or his family much, we would be agreeing with padma.

What i mean to say is that good and bad qualities are not claerly defined, we define them ourselves, so what seems to be good from one person's point of vew may be bad from another person's point of view.

"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."

~Albert Einstein
Old February 19th, 2005, 5:17 pm
First Year

dumbledore seems to think snape's pretty trustworthy.

Old February 19th, 2005, 5:19 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
dumbledore seems to think snape's pretty trustworthy.
Now.

"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."

~Albert Einstein
Old February 19th, 2005, 6:15 pm
Fourth Year

Matt - You did a great job summarizing what I said. I was so tired when I made that post, I wasn't sure if it made any sense.

Fawkesified - as always, I just loved your post. You really summed up the way people automatically label the Slytherins as bad and every other house good. And you're right, people are too complex to label as good or bad, there is always a gray area.

asrivathsan - I couldn't agree more... good and bad are abstract words that will be defined by everyone in different ways.

Old February 24th, 2005, 5:53 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrivathsan
Now.
Who says the Snape wasen't trustworthy in the past. Maybe he joined DE for the sole purpose of spying for the Order. Who knows. Actually when I think about we don't know much about Snape do we...?

Omi-I see that Jack Spicer has not shown up to a battle that he is most likely to lose!
JS-Wrong again! I show up to all the Battles I'm most likely to lose!
Wuya-Do you even think before you speak!?!
Xiaolin Showdown
Old February 24th, 2005, 5:54 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotharry
Who says the Snape wasen't trustworthy in the past. Maybe he joined DE for the sole purpose of spying for the Order. Who knows. Actually when I think about we don't know much about Snape do we...?
Dumbledore said he 'came back' to our side - indicating that he left it.

The Changeling Hypothesis
Potter Puppet Pals - A hillarious animation about Harry and his posse! If this isn't allowed, IM me mods and I'll remove it immediately! I can't see why it wouldn't be, but it might 'bother' some people!

I used to hate going to weddings. The old people would poke me and say things like "You're next". They stopped, when, at funerals, I did it to them.
Old February 24th, 2005, 6:08 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesified
Dumbledore said he 'came back' to our side - indicating that he left it.
Um...interesting. I can see that still Dumbledore trust him fullheartedly. But Why? What has happened between them to give him such hope and trust in Snape. I don't know though, I still can't see Snape being evil. He is not nice by any means, but killing people? That just seems to much for him. THere is so much we don't know about Snape, hopefully we will learn more in the next book.

Omi-I see that Jack Spicer has not shown up to a battle that he is most likely to lose!
Xiaolin Showdown
Old February 24th, 2005, 6:11 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorting hat song
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.
According to the sorting hat a Slytherin will do anything to achieve there goals, so if being trustworthy gets what they want then I guess they would be exactly that.

Old February 24th, 2005, 6:14 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Um...interesting. I can see that still Dumbledore trust him fullheartedly. But Why? What has happened between them to give him such hope and trust in Snape. I don't know though, I still can't see Snape being evil. He is not nice by any means, but killing people? That just seems to much for him. THere is so much we don't know about Snape, hopefully we will learn more in the next book.
I'm sure we will have learnt more about the circumstances by the time the series is at an end ( ).

Potter Puppet Pals - A hillarious animation about Harry and his posse! If this isn't allowed, IM me mods and I'll remove it immediately! I can't see why it wouldn't be, but it might 'bother' some people!

I used to hate going to weddings. The old people would poke me and say things like "You're next". They stopped, when, at funerals, I did it to them.
Old February 24th, 2005, 6:16 pm
Third Year

I think that we only get to know the "evil" Slytherins. there are more people in the house than we know, we cannot say if they are evil or not.

Old February 24th, 2005, 6:18 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn_Potter
I think that we only get to know the "evil" Slytherins. there are more people in the house than we know, we cannot say if they are evil or not.
Yes, exactly as I was saying.

Old February 24th, 2005, 6:26 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Yes, exactly as I was saying.
It makes sense though. We don't hear too much about the good Slytherins because the bad ones make them such a horrible reputation. I'm sure they are normal people that are nice. But of course aren't there a few instances where the whole Slytherin table is...nevermind, forgot where I was going. just kidding.

Xiaolin Showdown
Old February 24th, 2005, 6:28 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
It makes sense though. We don't hear too much about the good Slytherins because the bad ones make them such a horrible reputation. I'm sure they are normal people that are nice. But of course aren't there a few instances where the whole Slytherin table is...nevermind, forgot where I was going. just kidding.
Then again, JKR has said there is one 'good' Slytherin, which makes it sound like there is only one. I hope this is not the case though.

Old February 24th, 2005, 6:33 pm
Third Year

Again, depends on your definition of "good". It could be an instance where standing up for what's right is what's considered "good", as opposed to sitting still and letting something go on. That doesn't mean that the others were "bad", just that that particular person, in that instance, was "good". Who knows? Could be that Draco has a change of heart and realizes his dad's a bigger git than he is, and turns on him.

Not likely, I'll admit, but possible.

Old February 24th, 2005, 6:40 pm
First Year

I don't think there's enough information yet.

Quote:
As Dumbledore keeps requesting ALL the students to remain together as a group and stand as a whole against Voldemort, Dumbledore must have hope for the Slytherins.
I think you're on to something. Just like the sorting hat. You don't really need to trust someone to work together, either. Its really about getting the job done, the job being survive Voldemort, and the students need the qualities of all the houses together to make that happen.

Old February 24th, 2005, 6:42 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirza
Again, depends on your definition of "good". It could be an instance where standing up for what's right is what's considered "good", as opposed to sitting still and letting something go on. That doesn't mean that the others were "bad", just that that particular person, in that instance, was "good". Who knows? Could be that Draco has a change of heart and realizes his dad's a bigger git than he is, and turns on him.

Not likely, I'll admit, but possible.
Agreed.

Old February 24th, 2005, 6:43 pm
Second Year

I would say I am sure that some have been trustworthy. To say that no one for 1000 years, like 40 new students a year(or whatever), and all of them have been untrustworthy??? I think that that idea is ludicrous. Actually Dumbly trust Snape, so in Dumbly's eyes, Snape is trustworthy, so I guess that answers your question, dont know if anyone said that before-

Old February 24th, 2005, 6:43 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Then again, JKR has said there is one 'good' Slytherin, which makes it sound like there is only one. I hope this is not the case though.
I think that it is possible that there are many good slytherins who turn bad becuase they are followers and follow Malfoys lead. Think about it, they have been told they will turn bad, why fight the tide. So good people end up bad because they have no hope and can't aspire to anything else. I think that they just give up and only the strong of will can pretend they are evil and then leave and be nice people and keep their old school friends. Whoa! Just rambling away. But you get the picture.

Xiaolin Showdown

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives