Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Percy Ignatius Weasley -- where to now? v2

Old May 14th, 2005, 6:27 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walli9989
i think he'll eventually apoligize, i mean family is everything, especially for the Weasley's
Although maybe not to Percy. In OotP he chooses his job over them, although if I remember correctly he does try to warn Ron about getting too close to Harry, which means he still has some mind for his relations.

"It occurred to Remus then that Sirius was perhaps the smartest idiot he knew. A mind so sharp it could slice through the most convoluted of puzzles, and yet so flexible it repeatedly managed to sidestep the obvious answer" - from "The Wolf Who Cried Boy"

FREE HARRY! Big Squishy Hugs for Lupin Society LOVE IS LOVE Cod Squad Anti-Spoiler

theirloveisstillsocanon
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:38 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenCoyote
Although maybe not to Percy. In OotP he chooses his job over them, although if I remember correctly he does try to warn Ron about getting too close to Harry, which means he still has some mind for his relations.
But I think after realizing that what Harry said was right and after Fudge is chucked out Percy will come back to his senses and apologize for his mistake.

Old May 14th, 2005, 11:42 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtles
I agree with you about Percy not showing humility. I can't see any evidence of that either. And I also think that you do make a good point about his desire to see them apologize. That would give him a sense of power. But I still also think that it shows a desire for reconciliation. Otherwise, he wouldn't have mentioned it. I think he would have said that he was cutting them off completely. Your points are very good. Thanks for opening my eyes to that!
I still think he's ready to accept reconciliation on HIS terms. I think he'd snap if he had to admit he's wrong after acting like he did and refusing his own mother...I mean, he DID cut them off, except his letters to Ron. He felt like Ron, and I'm assuming Ginny too, were still salvagable. I think it's a HUGE blow for someone drawn as Percy's been, to admit they've made a mistake and all their assumptions have been wrong, all their allegiences (sorry if that's spelled wrong) have been to the wrong cause or the wrong people. You're talking about someone finding out that their whole belief/value system is based on faulty assumptions. That's pretty tragic, I think, and can set someone up for a real moral questioning. I, for one, don't assume Percy's coming out on the "good" side in the search for his soul. In fact, I'm not sure Percy will be good or bad...I think he's a pawn and will be played by the Voldemort supporters against the wizarding world, but against his family and Harry specifically.

Old May 15th, 2005, 3:11 am
Third Year

Quote:
I still think he's ready to accept reconciliation on HIS terms. I think he'd snap if he had to admit he's wrong after acting like he did and refusing his own mother...I mean, he DID cut them off, except his letters to Ron.
I agree that he wanted reconciliation on his terms at the time. However he thought that he was on the side of righteousness at the time. He thought that his family was being deceived. Now that it is clear that Voldy is back in power, I think his pride will bend and that he will seek reconciliation even if it is not on his terms. There is a war that is about to take place!

Old May 15th, 2005, 3:21 am
Second Year

I have my suspicions (sp?) on Percy's seperation from his family. I mean it was rather abrupt and blunt. Although he has always been painted as the serious prat in the Weasely family he's still a Weasely and a Gryffindor and that alone speaks a lot for him.

I think Percy is spying for the order... bash me if you will but would be a rather fantastic idea. Someone who is as close to the Minister as Percy could give priceless info to the Order. There's the whole issue about why he hasn't shown up to any of the meetings or why he didn't visit his own father in the hospital... A) I think Percy's spy-work is being kept a secret from other Order members including the Weasely parents. B) He's keeping up the appearance that he's completely seperated from his family.

Otherwise if I'm wrong, I do think Percy, even in his seemingly never-ending arrogance, will go back to his family.

Old May 15th, 2005, 4:15 am
Fourth Year

I just can't see Percy being so mean to his own mother, slamming the door in her face and all, unless he had a reason, and being an undercover agent for the Order would be the perfect excuse. I agree with conquest about him being an agent but not telling anyone in his family, and only reporting to Dumbledore. You're right about him being that close to the minister being useful to the Order. I think he'll reconsile with his family, after explaining everything, of course.
Or he'll make up with them just because Fudge is no longer in power, and he wants to follow Dumbledore again.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:24 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by conquest
I have my suspicions (sp?) on Percy's seperation from his family. I mean it was rather abrupt and blunt. Although he has always been painted as the serious prat in the Weasely family he's still a Weasely and a Gryffindor and that alone speaks a lot for him.

I think Percy is spying for the order... bash me if you will but would be a rather fantastic idea. Someone who is as close to the Minister as Percy could give priceless info to the Order. There's the whole issue about why he hasn't shown up to any of the meetings or why he didn't visit his own father in the hospital... A) I think Percy's spy-work is being kept a secret from other Order members including the Weasely parents. B) He's keeping up the appearance that he's completely seperated from his family.

Otherwise if I'm wrong, I do think Percy, even in his seemingly never-ending arrogance, will go back to his family.
I admit it - I do like this idea too but maybe that's because I'm a romantic at heart and still look for happy endings. It does have a couple of things going for it, not least of which Ron called his brother a git and Ron is usually wrong!

What worries me is that Percy has been growing more and more annoying and unWeasley like throughout the books - has D been grooming him in his spy persona for so long?

I think I see Percy as another Barty Crouch sr - rules, ministry and prepared to sacrifice family ..... oh I do hope I'm wrong

Free will is a gift. Love is a choice. Hate leaves you no choice at all.
Old May 15th, 2005, 7:13 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by conquest
I can't say that I agree with you on that one. If he was being kept secret from the rest of the members of the Order, what would be the point?! Nearly all the members are people who were in the order the first time round, and would be utterly trusted by Dumbledore. There is no indication at all that there is a spy in the order, which would seem to be the only logical explanation as to why Percy would be kept secret from the others. And even in that event, the Weaslys could still have been informed, as Dumbledore would trust them over almost all others. Molly's reaction was far to real for her not to have been feeling hurt.

At any rate, there were several members of the Order who work for the ministry who would have been able to pick up information (Mr. Weasly, Tonks etc.). There wouldn't seem to be a need to have a low level assistant like Percy as a spy, certainly not a hidden one.

Old May 16th, 2005, 1:22 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by randombassist
At any rate, there were several members of the Order who work for the ministry who would have been able to pick up information (Mr. Weasly, Tonks etc.). There wouldn't seem to be a need to have a low level assistant like Percy as a spy, certainly not a hidden one.
Percy's position actually would make him an ideal spy. He is not a low level assistant. He has a direct link to the Minister of Magic himself, so he's higher up than most Ministry officials, let alone the ones in the Order. Mr Weasley is near the bottom of the ladder in the Ministry and Tonks and Kingsley are in a specialized branch. It is Percy who would be able to get the most information.

Having said that, I find it hard to believe that he really is a spy. Dumbledore would have to be the only one who knew about it, unless Molly and Arthur were doing an excellent job faking it. This to the point that they weren't even telling the rest of the family. However this would in turn mean that they trust Percy more than their other children which seems completely wrong. I doubt they would do all of this just to preserve a spy to an inept Minister of Magic. It doesn't add up.

Old May 16th, 2005, 1:33 am
Third Year

If Percy were actually a spy for The Order, it wouldn't make sense that he sent Ron a letter telling him to steer clear of Harry and berating his family. He wouldn't have sent his Christmas stuff back either. He had nothing to gain by doing that. That was just mean!

Old May 16th, 2005, 2:27 am
Fourth Year

I was sort of hoping we would get to see a wizard wedding. Penelope & Percy maybe....Hopefully he will be demoted and reconsile with his mother or just be a prat. I hope Mr. Weasley is promoted above his and Percy is back to cauldron leaks and fertilizer samplers. I wonder how Percy will handle the fact that his goof-ball, twin brothers, who did not graduate from Hogwarts are more successful than he is....

Last edited by codswallop; May 16th, 2005 at 2:29 am.
Old May 16th, 2005, 5:48 am
Fourth Year

Speaking of Penelope, what happened to her? Has Jo said if she and Percy are still an item? I wouldn't be surprised if they broke up. He's soo arrogant!! But it would probably be pretty important to his future if they got married, wouldn't it? I think that she could convince percy to go back to his family, unless she's all "I love the Ministry" as well. (Wow, that sounds a little like "I love Big Brother" huh?). But anyway, I was also wondering, did it say in OotP if Percy was living alone or with some roomates? maybe he's living with Penelope...just a thought. He didn't seem to have many friends at Hogwarts.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old May 16th, 2005, 6:03 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseelf25
Speaking of Penelope, what happened to her? Has Jo said if she and Percy are still an item? I wouldn't be surprised if they broke up. He's soo arrogant!! But it would probably be pretty important to his future if they got married, wouldn't it? I think that she could convince percy to go back to his family, unless she's all "I love the Ministry" as well. (Wow, that sounds a little like "I love Big Brother" huh?). But anyway, I was also wondering, did it say in OotP if Percy was living alone or with some roomates? maybe he's living with Penelope...just a thought. He didn't seem to have many friends at Hogwarts.

With Penelope being a Muggleborn provides an interesting twist to those who think Percy is or will be a spy....If they are still an item that is, Percy was portrayed as being rather whipped.

Old May 16th, 2005, 11:45 am
First Year

Driven people seldom have time for friends and Percy is driven but by what? I think he has a desire to prove himself better than his brothers before him, even Ron has felt this pressure, and that ambition can really mess with your brain.

In OotP he even starts to look down on his family seeming to take Fudges line that they don't show enough wizarding pride.

I think that Percy's direction in life will depend on who the next MoM is and how they react to Percy. I can only hope it will be someone who will make him re-examine his priorities.

Old May 16th, 2005, 12:29 pm
Secret Keeper

I know Percy really needs to get a grip on what is more important to him, family or power. Even in CoS Ron refers to Percy as being like Riddle or as we know him now as Voldemort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoS, page 175
'He sounds like Percy,' said Ron, wrinkling his nose in disgust.
'Prefect, Head Boy - probably top of every class.'
Then there is this line earlier on in the book:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoS, page 119
'You don't care about Ginny,' said Ron, whose ears were reddening now. 'You're just worried I'm going to mess up your chances of being head boy.'
'Five points from Gryffindor!' Percy said tersely, fingering his prefect badge.
Sounds to me like Ron is right, Percy cared more about his prefect badge than his own family there and Ron hit a nerve. I just wonder whether the reason why Percy is acting the way he is both back in CoS and in OotP can be attributed to the book Prefects Who Gained Power. Maybe Percy sounds like Tom Riddle because he read about him in that book and made him his role model not realizing who Tom really was now.

Old May 16th, 2005, 12:34 pm
First Year

I dont think Percy would ever join LV..he was a strong believer that LV wasnt alive, he is weak and he might be forced to join the death eaters but I hope he apologises to his parents.

That is a good theory about Percy being a spy, but I think he is too cowardly.

Old May 16th, 2005, 12:59 pm
Secret Keeper

It is not that I believe Percy to be joining Voldemort but he could easily be controlled by him like they did to others back when Voldemort was in power.

The book does nag me a little, especially after what Ron said to Harry about the Diary being dangerous and that you should not just pick up any old book lying around. Percy did exactly that, picked up any old book lying around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoS, page 172
'And everyone who read Sonnets of a Sorcerer spoke in limericks for the rest of their lives'.
Perhaps Percy's greed for power comes directly from that book he picked up about Prefects. We where never told who wrote the Prefects books either and I found it strange just to put in the CoS plot. What if Ginny was not the only one being controlled by a back in CoS. Percy's attitude towards his family only changed after reading that book.

Old May 16th, 2005, 10:38 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tane
It is not that I believe Percy to be joining Voldemort but he could easily be controlled by him like they did to others back when Voldemort was in power.

The book does nag me a little, especially after what Ron said to Harry about the Diary being dangerous and that you should not just pick up any old book lying around. Percy did exactly that, picked up any old book lying around.Perhaps Percy's greed for power comes directly from that book he picked up about Prefects. We where never told who wrote the Prefects books either and I found it strange just to put in the CoS plot. What if Ginny was not the only one being controlled by a back in CoS. Percy's attitude towards his family only changed after reading that book.
Oooo, good catch missed that one! Coincidences are not what they seem with JKR

Old May 16th, 2005, 10:42 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoS, page 119
'You don't care about Ginny,' said Ron, whose ears were reddening now. 'You're just worried I'm going to mess up your chances of being head boy.'
'Five points from Gryffindor!' Percy said tersely, fingering his prefect badge.
Good quote. I had totally forgotten that. I like that theory above about the parallels between Tom Riddle's Diary and Prefects Who Gained Power. I think that is a very good point.

Old May 17th, 2005, 1:34 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tane

The book does nag me a little, especially after what Ron said to Harry about the Diary being dangerous and that you should not just pick up any old book lying around. Percy did exactly that, picked up any old book lying around.Perhaps Percy's greed for power comes directly from that book he picked up about Prefects. We where never told who wrote the Prefects books either and I found it strange just to put in the CoS plot. What if Ginny was not the only one being controlled by a back in CoS. Percy's attitude towards his family only changed after reading that book.
Good Point!! If that is the case, perhaps Percy will come back into the family fold (Molly will take him back) in order to have an in with the OOTP! He will be demoted to closet cleaner in the ministery. They won't fire him as he showed too much support for the position, even if he failed to recognize a wrong two times in a row. Once with Crouch and now Fudge. What a git!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies