Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

Wizard Clothing: How I Learned That the Chapter Illustrations Have Got it All Wrong

Old June 2nd, 2005, 6:05 am
MuggleNet Editorial

Wizard Clothing: How I Learned That the Chapter Illustrations Have Got it All Wrong

Discussion of the editorial Wizard Clothing, or How I Learned That the Chapter Illustrations Have Got it All Wrong by Polly.

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2005, 6:26 am
First Year

Finally! I thought I was the only one who noticed this small but pestering detail.

Also, if you notice in the movies, the Houses are distinguished by House emblems on their cloaks, but thats not the case in the books. Actually you can't tell who is in which House because everyone is wearing black robes. When Harry and Ron transform into Crabbe and Goyle in CoS, they ask a Ravenclaw where the Slytherin dorms are. Obviously if they knew she was a Ravenclaw they would not have asked.

I think that it's interesting that students do not where anything that distinguishes Houses. Its as if it's an attempt to unite everyone.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 6:26 am
B3TA07

It's called 'artistic interpretation'.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 6:52 am
First Year

I love this editorial. me too, i wondered for a while. In the end of ootp, tonks was seen wearing a weird sister tshirt and a pair of jeans. So I think that muggle clothes are being sold to younger wizards. or where else did the Weasley children buy muggle clothes? i find it extremely hard to imagine mrs weasley bargaining in a muggle clothes shop.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 7:06 am
snowblood

Agreed!

I was rather fond of what the costumes in the movies are, even if they aren't consistant with the books. It changes too much, though. In the first two (Chris Columbus) films, they have this traditional, classic kind of look going on for the quidditch robes, but in the last film (Alfonso Cuaron) there was a more realistic, muggle style to the robes. (#7 on the back= 7th month/july/ HP bday month ^___^?) I think Cuaron did a good job with making things seem so real. I like how everyone wore their school robes in a way that reflects their personality, but it really went against the books in how everyone wore muggle clothing in their spare time. The new film (Newell), from what I've seen, looks pretty colorful. Instead of what the 3rd film had (just the dull color of their house on the inside of their robes) they have these bright house-colored robes. From the pictures, it looks kinda like a poncho to go OVER their robes, actually.... I'm not sure

Old June 2nd, 2005, 8:13 am
Second Year

in OotP, doesn't Malfoy dock points from Harry and Ron because their shirt isn't tucked in or something? that always confused me since i thought the movie uniforms didn't seem correct

Old June 2nd, 2005, 8:38 am
First Year

you are a genious! lol
That is a wonderful editorial.... Cause when reading about snapes worst memory what you were saying was always in my head anyway.... i know that artistic lisence is used a lot...but when i go to see the movies i want to know i'm in a different world, seeing kids wearing the same things i do doesnt exactly transport me away...
good one
Ace04 i agree with ya
GilleysPheoni do you know what page that is on by any chance?

Hermione: I thought you mastered levitation in first year? What about that troll?
Ron:That was a fluke and besides a leaf is way different to a troll, take that into consideration!

Old June 2nd, 2005, 8:46 am
First Year

OOH yes i thought about it for awhile too.. and i really wish hermione's dress would go by the book.. =/ isn't Pansy Parkinson supposed to wear pink? i hope the rest of the movie doesnt let me down

Old June 2nd, 2005, 9:12 am
Registered Animagus

Nice editorial!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleysPheoni
in OotP, doesn't Malfoy dock points from Harry and Ron because their shirt isn't tucked in or something? that always confused me since i thought the movie uniforms didn't seem correct
Yes he did.

I've always been most confused why pure-bloods like Draco would wear muggle clothing. The films even had him in sweaters, jackets and pants.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 9:31 am
Third Year

I found this Editorial very entertaining. I find it somewhat amusing that so many people get so riled up over the movies costuming ( I cannot comment on the chapter pics, as thankfully the Canadian editions don't carry them).I Love th movies costuming, And while it is not letter for letter as described in the books, a simple look at fashion History will show that pants of some sort are not out of question.
If you look at the Harry Potter timeline at the HP Lexicon http://www.hp-lexicon.org/timelines/...e_pre1900.html you will see that Hogwarts was created just before 993A.D. as Hogwarts is a school of rich traditions, it it logical to assume the uniforms would have origianlally been based on this period.... a look at the peasnants of England at this time would support your Theory http://www.dragonbear.com/images/str004.jpg
but be honest did you ever imagine the robes to be short?
I personally imagined the Robes to be long... and if you look at this picture of an eighth century Anglo Saxon Monarch dressed in Habits of the State, you get closer to the description
[IMG]http://www.dragonbear.com/images/str004.jpg[/IMG]
look at a Monarch of the regian in the ninth century and you have what could be desribed as tights or pants. these pants would not be visible while standing, thus escaping need for description and a look at this picture ( also an illustration from A Complete View of Dress and Habits of the People of England by Joseph Strutt, published originally in England in 1862. ) it is an image of common dress in the ninth and tenth centuries.
[IMG]http://www.dragonbear.com/images/str018.jpg [/IMG]
pants existed at the creation of Hogwarts and they have evolved since. I see no reason why they could /would not be included in the modern uniform

<CENTER>it will hurt more</CENTER>

<!-- / message -->
Old June 2nd, 2005, 9:31 am
First Year

While I agree that the costumers have the right to stylize a bit with the ties and all that, I have always been bothered by the mistake in the costumes. Thank you so much for bringing this up.

Ever since I first saw a drawing of Harry wearing the current uniforms, it struck me as very odd. I had always envisioned them dresslike, with absolutely no trousers in the picture.

There could be a few reasons, though, as to why they were allowed normal clothing in the films. Apparently, in the Tudor ages, young male actors had to parade around in dresses as they pretended to be women. Perhaps they didn't want the children to feel uncomfortable in "drag"? Or maybe they thought it would be too hard to distinguish between the houses?

But honestly, if you MUST compromise the costumes in such a way, at least make the students wear them ALL THE TIME. We barely saw the uniforms in the PoA movie, since they were mostly dressed by the GAP or something.

And if the students wear trousers and skirts, does that mean that the teachers can't wear real robes? I mean, seriously, Snape wearing the pants is something I can't see. He seems like the type to wear the traditional robe. If Dumbledore can wear them, so too can other wizards. Lockhart, for instance, is supposed to have lilac ROBES as opposed to trousers.

They shouldn't even be calling robes that at all in the films. They should be considered coats or cloaks, since that is really their function.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:30 am
First Year

Thank God somebody agrees with me! I've been a bit upset about that in the films, because in my mind students always wear robes EXCEPT when it is specifically stated they're wearing trousers. And in the photos of the GoF film, in the Yule Ball, Hermione is not only wearing a dress as it's pink and not blue. I don't know if those were only dancing classes and if in the final version she will be robed correctly, but if they are not, what a pity!

Thank you, Sara, for a very good editorial!

Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:07 am
First Year

Good editorial! I like the way you bring up how Harry was fitted for his robes at Diagon Alley, and about their changing on the train. It makes sense that trousers aren't supposed to be part of the picture. Now if only the movie producers would remember that...

Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:12 am
First Year

Oh very well done! I've thought the same thing for ages. But if I can add to your wonderful editorial, there is a reference to robes in Azkaban that I thought was very telling;

P. 282 American Hardback (Just after the mud fight)

Quote:
"Come with me, Potter," said Snape.
Harry followed him downstairs, trying to wipe his hands clean on the inside of his robes without Snape noticing.
Not on his jeans/trousers/ect... which would have been far easier; the inside of his robes. This indicates, to me at least, that there's a lack of pants to wipe on.

Last edited by MyFireElf; June 2nd, 2005 at 9:20 pm.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:30 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Wise
Thank you, Sara, for a very good editorial!
Silly me! I meant, thank you POLLY for a very good editorial! (Sorry...)

And the untucked shirt also sounded strange. Jo, enlighten us, please!

Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:50 am
Fifth Year

Now this is my kind of editorial!

I've been saying for years (well, okay, so I didn't ever say it at a fansite, but I've been thinking about it..) that the book pictures are WAY off. I'll come to the movies in a bit. Now, the book pictures. At first robes were described as just a little cape. And then from book four onwards, they became open long coat-like thingys. What's up with that? Robes are robes. In PS/SS, when Harry's in Madam Malkins, he tries on the robe by slipping it over his head. He doesn't just insert his arms in them like a coat. Because they aren't open.

I've always imagined robes to be floor-length, and if a person is standing still, their shoes will not be visible. (Except in PS/SS, where its described that Ron's robes were a little short, as you could see his sneakers under them.)

So the robes are long, floor-length, and have a belt around the waist, where you can put your wand. Or you can stuff your wand in an inside pocket in the robe. This pocket, I've always assumed is reached by pulling the wand out through the neck of the robes.

Now, carrying my imagination even further, (this is not stated in the books).. I like to think that the students might wear clothing under their robes. But not muggle clothing. something that resembles a shirt or probably an 'inner robe' inside their robes which is made of the same material and texture as their robes.

Now coming to the movies, this is one of the reason I HATE the movies. The uniform is so stupid. Ties? Shirts and pants? Please! This is just so weird. In GoF, Archie wears a flowered nightgown because its the only thing he could find which most closely resembles a robe.

And about that thing that Malfoy said to Ron "Your shirt isn't untucked." He was just taking away points wasn't he? It would've been just like him to say something like that when they're not even wearing shirts at all. He could just have easily have said. "Weasley, five points from you, because your glasses are missing." Or something similar. But that's just my opinion and imagination. These are books, and even if you don't like something the way the author has written it, you can always change it a bit to suit your imagination. Like the Bill in my head: I can't picture him with red-hair, even though he's supposed to. Or I still don't pronounce Hermione's name the way I'm supposed to, because I never really liked the sound of it, and thought the way I've always been saying the name before book 4 came out sounded a lot prettier. But again, everyone's just entitled to their opinion.

End of Rant!

My Pottermore username: DawnNox88

Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:00 pm
First Year

hey, what about that cover illustration of dumbledor with the pop lighter on the back
of Philosopher's stone?
the clothes are something i'v always wondered about..that and the hats. i dont remember harry wearing any pointed black hat throughout the books. anyone care to sort me out?

Old June 2nd, 2005, 1:39 pm
Second Year

Finally! Yes! Thank you so VERY much!! It's annoyed me ever since the PS/SS movie the whole robes thing. But I tried to ignore it like everything else that's wrong in the movies. *sigh* Ah well. I still liked the costumes in the movies though. In fact, I wouldn't mind having a uniform like the one in PoA instead of the granny-like one I'm forced to wear

Old June 2nd, 2005, 1:53 pm
First Year

That was an excellent editorial, I completely agree and I'm very glad that somebody brought this up. Great job!

About the shirt thing, I agree with Runes. I've always thought it was just something that Malfoy said to prove that he has power over the three to take points just because he wants to, with no reason at all.

Naina, the hats were exactly what I was going to discuss. Not only are they present in the school list Harry receives in PS/SS, not only do they all wear them in feasts (this is mentioned in the books but I don't have the quotes handy now), but they are also mentioned randomly in the books, for example when Seamus sets fire to his feather in PS/SS and Harry has to put it out with his hat. I'm sure the hats are mentioned in the books and if anyone can help with quotes it would be great. I always had the impression thet they wear the hats in formal situations but also that they have them with them when they are at Hogwarts.

I wish the movies wouldn't change so many things about the clothes. PoA especially was way to Muggle-ish. It was out of the spirit of the books. Made me lose interest in the movies with all the liberties they had taken. When I see the movies I want to see on screen the things that I've read about. I know that this is not entirely possible but at least the general feeling of the book should be kept and I feel that the clothing is an important thing in the books. It's like a dividing line. Someone made an excellent point about Draco Malfoy. Malfoy wearing Muggle clothes? I don't think so.

(Puffins are seabirds that look like little penguins.)

Last edited by puffin; June 2nd, 2005 at 1:56 pm.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 2:37 pm
First Year

Great editorial! It's lovely to see there are so many kindred spirits out there who are irritated by the wardrobe blunders!

Are there textual differences between the British and American versions of the books (i.e., do they say sweaters instead of jumpers)? I'm from the US, but I live in Europe, so I've only read the UK editions of the books. I think several things people noted could be liked to different perceptions of the books if the English-speaking editions vary from country to country.

I noted this because there aren't chapter illustrations in the UK version I have. I think it's odd that Scholastic added images to the US version when Bloomsbury doesn't have them in the UK version. Of course, I'm one of those people who always prefers a book to a movie version because films cut scenes and don't agree with the pictures I have in my head. By including chapter illustrations, doesn't the editor distort the imagination of the reader?

As for the film uniforms, I think in PS and CoS the kids are dressed in traditional British-style uniforms (kilts or pants and shirts with ties) and they added to open robe over it. Having survived 12 years of Catholic school in polyester plaid, I'm a little jealous of the handsome ones in the movie, but artistic license or not, they are WRONG according to Jo's text. Likewise, no matter how nice the actors look in the pictures we've seen of the GoF Yule Ball, they aren't robed, and what is the point in changing the colors of the girls' outfits?! I was very disappointed to see the Yule Ball look like a Prom.

I agree with those who stated that Malfoy was docking points arbitrarily and a non-existant untucked shirt was as good a reason to him as not liking someone, or Hermione's bloodlines.

My one wardrobe question that still troubles me comes from PoA: Harry wears a t-shirt under his Quidditch robes to hold his wand in case he needs to deflect some Dementors. How does this work? Even if the team does wear pants of some kind under their Quidditch robes, how does Harry keep his wand from swimming around inside the t-shirt? Wouldn't some kind of long thin pocket stitiched in his robes be more practical?

"Are you quite sure you wouldn't like a cough drop, Dolores?"

Last edited by tmoniez; June 2nd, 2005 at 2:43 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial