Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Destruction of a Horcrux

Old July 18th, 2005, 9:28 am
Third Year

Destruction of a Horcrux

No spoilers are allowed in these areas. Please make sure you've read our Deathly Hallows Conduct Notice!

so...

how exactly would a person destroy a horcrux? harry has to do it a bunch of times in the next book, but so far no one's been too concerned with how.

also, does the method of destruction change for each different object that the horcrux is? i.e. if it were a person or living thing, would it have to killed? and with an object such as the locket; you can't kill a locket, so how would one penetrate it?

hopefully harry, along with hermione the human dewey decimal system, will do some research and figure it out.

Last edited by gertiekeddle; July 23rd, 2007 at 8:43 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2005, 5:02 pm
First Year

Does Harry know how to destroy a Horcrux?

There are two problems that arise from HBP. First of all Harry doesn't know how to destroy a horocrux without piercing it with a basilisk fang. Dumbledore never tells him how to so how will Harry know how to destroy them presuming he finds the horocruxes? I bet it requires quite a bit of magic. Secondly the problem with the last horocrux in Voldemort is that Harry is pure of heart and all that soo he can't use the unforgivable curses. Thats why they fail on Bellatrix. He can't cause her pain but hes supposed to kill one of the most powerful wizards ever. Sure he has anger but I thought you had to want to cause pain and like it. Harry just wants revenge on him and snape so how's he gonna do it?

Old July 18th, 2005, 5:04 pm
First Year

I think we will find and I have said this before, that Snape was under the same kind of promise that DD issued from Harry. I think that there will be a conversation at the Black home where Harry finds out about everything and that Snape is still DD's man. If that does not occur, he still has Lupin and Mad eye Moody.

Old July 18th, 2005, 5:05 pm
First Year

Well I think in the seventh book maybe Dumbledore will have left some information around for Harry on what to do if Dumbledore dies. The thing about the unforgivable curses is up in the air though. I mean I'm sure Dumbledore had thought about that at some point in time. Maybe Dumbledore was going to teach Harry how to them?? But I doubt that because I really can't see Dumbledore or Harry for that matter using a unforgivable curse. Maybe there is another way to kill him???

Old July 18th, 2005, 5:08 pm
First Year

Ok well i was just thinking, i may not describe what im thinking right but im sure you'll get the jist of it. Anyways, ok we now know that love is harrys uderestimated weapon, ok so harry is protecting Ginny by breaking up with her, as as stated above it ould be just like Ginny to get back in somehow, But ok this is what i was thinking ginny gets caught by V and is being used as a lure or something, harry goes up against V and V aims likea Ava kad at ginny, harry jumps in the way sacrificing himself for love! and as V has marked Harry as his equal is his undoing, not just bouncing opf harry as it did origianly but turing on V instead. obvoiulsy at his point harry would have found the horcruxs's i dunno but it seems plausable any ideas?

First Year

My guess is that he's gonna have to Avada Kedavra the horcruxes as he's essentially killing a piece of voldemorts soul, but I don't know how this will fit in with him not being able to perform the unforgivable curses. I would guess that something will drive him over the edge into pure hatred (e.g. death of Ron or Hermione?) which will enable him to use them.

First Year

My guess is that he's gonna have to Avada Kedavra the horcruxes as he's essentially killing a piece of voldemorts soul, but I don't know how this will fit in with him not being able to perform the unforgivable curses. I would guess that something will drive him over the edge into pure hatred (e.g. death of Ron or Hermione?) which will enable him to use them.

Old July 18th, 2005, 5:13 pm
Fourth Year

Well....there is a portrait of Dumbledore in the headmasters/mistress' office - so Harry will have to visit Hogwarts (or whereever Dumbledore's other portrait hangs) to talk to him....I'm sure he will be able to give Harry advice and answer questions! (after he wakes up - I'm sure there is a time after death that the person/portrait must rest and come to terms with their own death before they are ready to converse with others.)

ACCIO - BOOK 7!
Old July 18th, 2005, 5:13 pm
Fifth Year

There are worse things than death, and there are other ways to kill a man. From a thematic point of view, Harry's defeat of the Dark Lord will be a victory of good over evil. For this he should use good means / powers to defeat evil ones. The unforgivables are a hallmark of the Death Eaters - Snape is the only Order member we've seen use one, isn't he? And his goodness / badness hangs in the balance at the moment. It would be a false victory for Harry to use something dark to destroy the dark; I believe he must destroy the evil by the use of goodness. No, I can't imagine how he'll do it; but I don't think his lack of ability to do the unforgivables will lead to his downfall, I really don't. If anything, it improves his chances of victory, by showing that he is pure of heart and mind, he hasn't enough negative emotions in him to make those curses work.

"Manners, Potter, or I'll have to tell you a spoiler," drawled Malfoy. "You see, I, unlike you, have no regard at all for others' feelings, which means that I, unlike you, have the power to hand out spoilers."

"Yeah," said Harry, "but you, unlike me, will be banned, so get out and leave us alone."

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old July 18th, 2005, 5:16 pm
First Year

I too am also wondering how Harry is going to manage finding all he horcruxes. It seems that Dumbledore was having a hard enough time himself even locating them, let alone getting to them. I don't forsee Harry being able to find an invisible wall or realize how to open it....or do anything similar to that. Then he has to manage to destroy them without hurting himself? To me, the odds are very much stacked against him. He's going to have to have some help. Maybe from one of the members of the Order of the Phoenix, or perhaps Dumbledore will pull an Obi-Wan Kenobi and somehow help Harry out?

I've also wondered how Harry will manage to kill Voldemort. Avada Kedavra is ilegal, but would the Ministry of Magic make an exception for this case? I know Harry's really good at heart, but he just might have the will to use it against Voldemort because his hate seems to be that strong. I know Snape said Harry really has to mean it if he's going to use an Unforgiveable Curse. I think he did have the will when trying to use Crucio against Snape. Snape just never gave him the chance to do so.

Old July 18th, 2005, 5:17 pm
First Year

Where does it say in the book that you have to be "pure of heart" to cast a Unforgivable Curse?

http://piratemonkeysinc.com/result.php

Remus Lupin Is Totally Wicked Awesome
Old July 18th, 2005, 5:20 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDERWOMAN03
Where does it say in the book that you have to be "pure of heart" to cast a Unforgivable Curse?
It doesn't. I think people are arguing that since Harry is pure of heart (which I'm not sure I entirely agree with), that is why he's not able to use the Unforgiveable Curses. He's not evil or bad enough to do so.

Old July 18th, 2005, 5:25 pm
Second Year

But he has tried to perform the unforgivable curses already. On Bellatrix and Snape. And the curse he performed on Malfoy in MM's bathroom would be an unforgivable curse if anybody knew about it.

Old July 18th, 2005, 5:28 pm
First Year

I don't think that Harry will ever be able to fully perform the Unforgiveable Curses as they're meant to be cast because he is pure of heart. In addition I don't think that the Unforgiveable Curses will destory the Horcruxes. I think that the Horcruxes are heavily guarded by magic unique to each one so that no two are alike. As for defeating Voldemort, at the end of Half-Blood Prince we see Harry's Parents, Sirius and Dumbledore gone and Harry pushing away the people he loves for fear of their death. Harry has to realize and accept that love is what Voldemort does not know and what will be the end of him. Who knows, maybe in book 7 Harry learns a new spell that conjures the love of Harry's Parents, Sirius, Dumbledore, etc. that destroys Voldemort. Or Harry forces Voldemort to feel love, etc. I believe in the end Harry will have to face Voldemort alone and it will somehow involve love.

Old July 18th, 2005, 8:29 pm
First Year

Well... Maybe Harry was much luckier than he thought he would have been when he took felix felicis. What I mean is, Harry hinted that Professor Slughorn could obtain Aragog's venim if he were to go to his funeral. Maybe Aragog's venim could destroy the horcruxes just like the bassilisk's venom destroyed the horcrux in Tom Riddles Diary.

Or, maybe Slughorn is the key to the Horcruxes. He definately knew a lot about the horcruxes, a lot of things he did not tell Tom. Now that Dumbledore is dead he might feel guilty somehow and teach Harry to destroy a horcrux.

Yet again there is of course, R.A.B. Jo definately would not have mentioned his name if we weren't going to find out who he is in the future. Maybe he is still alive, and if so he most definately is going to tell Harry how to destroy a horcrux.

Old July 18th, 2005, 8:31 pm
Third Year

maybe you do an curse on it that brakes it or do an unforgibable curse (avada kedavra specifically)

Old July 18th, 2005, 8:37 pm
First Year

My idealistic climax wouldn't have Harry AK'ing Voldemort, but having Wormtail, GoodSnape, or another pivotal adult character kill him. I also believe that love will play a part in his murder.

Old July 18th, 2005, 8:44 pm
Third Year

maybe if harry just threw all of the objects through the veil, they could be destroyed that way

Old July 18th, 2005, 8:52 pm
Fourth Year

How will Harry find out how to destroy Horcruxes? Well there's Dumbledore's portrait. Dumbledore's pensive. Also Slughorn must know about them, afterall, he told Riddle some information.

How will he destroy them? I'm betting it's going to have to be a pretty thourough destruction. In CoS it was enough to penetrate the diary with a Basilisk fang, which was covered in excessive amounts of Basilisk Venom. I agree with xxshermdawxx, Harry might have been luckier than he realises and Aragog's venom will come into play.

How will he kill Voldemort? Harry has become more grey than black or white. He is "pure of heart", however, he's show a willingness to use Unforgivable Curses (on Bellatrix and Snape). He also, although unintentially, hit Malfoy with a more-than-unpleasant curse. Once he knew of this curse and what it did, he tried to use it on the Inferi
I wouldn't put it past Harry to use an Unforgivable Curse!
However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Veil in the DoM made another appearance.
There are also alot of references to Snakes and knives (the knife through the snake on the door of the Grunts, also the sword and the Basilisk).

"If at first you don't succeed...try...try...try, try, try, try again!" - O'Neill, Stargate SG-1
Old July 18th, 2005, 9:14 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetopadfoot
maybe if harry just threw all of the objects through the veil, they could be destroyed that way
I think you have hit on a very good Idea .The veil is a portal to the land of the dead ,so if Harry throws the Horcruxes through the veil ,then those parts of Voldemort would be in the land of the dead, and be effectively dead !,so that Voldemort would be 5/7th. or 6/7th. dead and thus vunerable to being killed by Harry !. So what do you all think?

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies