Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Destruction of a Horcrux

Old July 18th, 2005, 9:27 pm
First Year

Quote:
I'm sure there is a time after death that the person/portrait must rest and come to terms with their own death before they are ready to converse with others.
I'm just worried that this might be something more complex; for instance, since Dumbledore was murdered, maybe there's some clause that says he can only reawaken in his portrait once his killer is also dead...something like that to complicate matters.

Chocolate
Chocolate Orange
Orange Crush

(that's Harry/Ginny in case you for some shocking reason don't know)

This sig = short, sweet and to the point
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:07 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think to destroy a horcrux will be unique to each of the horcruxes ie the Basslisk fang destroyed the diary horcrux by killing that part of Voldemorts soul with the venom.

And people seem to have forgotten that there is at least one person left who has the name Dumbledore. That being Dumbledores brother. We've not seen much of him, but if Dumbledore confided in anyone, it would most likely be his brother. Who seems to have distanced himself slighty from Albus ie he's the bar man of the hogshead and Dumbledore was the headmaster of hogwarts. The perfect cover really.
I think Harry will come to realise in the end that he needs all the help he get on destroying the Horcruxes. Even though he wants to push people away, they are in danger ie Ron and Hermione know about the horcruxes and what Harry is intent on doing to them, and they know about the prophecy.

I suspose Harry could chuck them through the veil and destroy them that way. But it would be too easy i think plot wise.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old July 19th, 2005, 11:26 am
First Year

I don't think Harry has a chance of finding them, or destroying them. Snape will do that for him.
Ask yourself why Dumbledore wore that ring for a while and then left it lying it around his office. Snape can casually mention the ring to Voldemort, Voldemort panics and goes to check on his other horcruxes, Snape destroys them, big race at the end to get to the locket.

Old July 19th, 2005, 11:38 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiphany
There are worse things than death, and there are other ways to kill a man. From a thematic point of view, Harry's defeat of the Dark Lord will be a victory of good over evil. For this he should use good means / powers to defeat evil ones. The unforgivables are a hallmark of the Death Eaters - Snape is the only Order member we've seen use one, isn't he? And his goodness / badness hangs in the balance at the moment. It would be a false victory for Harry to use something dark to destroy the dark; I believe he must destroy the evil by the use of goodness. No, I can't imagine how he'll do it; but I don't think his lack of ability to do the unforgivables will lead to his downfall, I really don't. If anything, it improves his chances of victory, by showing that he is pure of heart and mind, he hasn't enough negative emotions in him to make those curses work.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Unforgivables were invented by the forerunner of Voldemort and the Death Eaters, Grindelwald. If not him, previous Dark Wizards and Witches.

I'd imagine that any powerful magic, good or evil, could be used against a Horcrux. Horcruxes can NOT be killed by mundane means, by the way. Spilling ink and water over the Diary did not affect it, just as, say, if Nagini were run over by a stray car I'm sure she would survive intact.

Harry uses Dark Magic to kill the first one, Basilisk venom. He does know some powerful Light magic (to borrow a Star Wars term): The Patronus. That particular spell is related to the state of the caster's soul, since Tonks' changes due to soul-jarring trauma (death and unrequited love.) Harry can cast a particularily powerful Patronus because of the love he feels and the strength of his soul. I imagine that he will use a Patronus to destroy Voldemort, or at least one of his Horcruxes.

"The final chapter of the seventh book is written."
-Joanne Kathleen Rowling, July 1999
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:59 pm
First Year

I reckon he won't need to destroy the Horcruxes. I reckon RAB has done it for him, If he's found one whats stopped him from finding the rest?

Old July 19th, 2005, 1:17 pm
First Year

Destroying horcruxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetopadfoot
maybe if harry just threw all of the objects through the veil, they could be destroyed that way
slavetopadfoot, that is an excellent thought, and would be a relatively easy task for Harry (or anyone).

Whatever method is used, there are 4 of them, and perhaps would be best destroyed all at once.

Think anyone's selling basilisk venom in Knockturn Alley?

"Each atom or molecule in a gas moves randomly so that the position or velocity of any one of them cannot be known. Nevertheless, using statistics, the rules governing their overall behaviour can be worked out with great precision."
Old July 19th, 2005, 4:48 pm
Fifth Year

I was about to come here and post that same idea. He wouldn't be destroying them, but sending them to the afterlife where they belong. Same thing in the end though, really.

That would make sense to destroy them at once. Personally I believe that Voldemort killed Amelia Bones personally to make another Horcrux. She is the first one to die in this war (officially, that is what the History books will say, because the Ministry did not declare war until the end of OotP) which makes her very special. So if Voldemort replaces them as they are destroyed, why not toss them through the veil all at once?

"The final chapter of the seventh book is written."
-Joanne Kathleen Rowling, July 1999
Old July 19th, 2005, 8:48 pm
First Year

well, there is rampant speculation about the locket in 12 Grimmauld Place being Slytherin's Locket...so my theory is this: if the locket belonged to Slytherin and we know LV was his heir and liked the history aspect of these items, could the "locks" on the horcrux have something to do with being a Parselmouth...i remember reading somewhere that there were only like two Parselmouths born that century(or something like that)...so knowing being a Parselmouth is *Rare*, LV probably used that fact in his enchantments on the locket....just my little theory...

Old July 19th, 2005, 10:58 pm
I want to believe

This is such an interesting question- I know I was really wondering how Dumbledore destroyed Slytherin's ring when I was reading HBP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumps
How will Harry find out how to destroy Horcruxes? Well there's Dumbledore's portrait. Dumbledore's pensive. Also Slughorn must know about them, afterall, he told Riddle some information.
This seems very likely to me also- I can't imagine Dumbledore didn't take certain precautions to ensure that Harry would be able to know how to destroy a horcrux.

I kind of like the idea of each horcrux having its own special, unique way of being destroyed, but that would certainly complicate things. My first guess to destroy horcruxes would be to use some form of powerful destructive magic on them- something out of the realm of ordinary spells because I'm sure Voldemort would have protected the horcruxes with all kinds of charms. The basilisk venom was extremely potent, so it was able to destroy the diary. It was also poetic justice, seeing as how the basilisk was the monster in the Chamber of Secrets, which the diary held the key to opening.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old July 19th, 2005, 11:02 pm
Third Year

Maybe Harry needs to use the spell that Voldemort used to kill the specific victim for a certain Horcux .............u get it right?

For example if Voldemort killed Regulus with the Avada Kedavra than harry need to use the avada Kedavra on the hurcrox ( this is an example only, regulus was killed after the horcruxes)

Old July 19th, 2005, 11:17 pm
First Year

Quote:
Well... Maybe Harry was much luckier than he thought he would have been when he took felix felicis. What I mean is, Harry hinted that Professor Slughorn could obtain Aragog's venim if he were to go to his funeral. Maybe Aragog's venim could destroy the horcruxes just like the bassilisk's venom destroyed the horcrux in Tom Riddles Diary.
That's exactly what I was thinking!

Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
Old July 19th, 2005, 11:38 pm
First Year

Two points: first, we've been given a hint that Death Eaters aren't the only ones who use Avada Kedavra. Weren't Sirius & Lupin going to kill off Pettigrew in the Shrieking Shack in PoA? I'm assuming (as they were approaching him menacingly with wands drawn) that they were going to use Avada Kedavra, which would mean it's not only Death Eaters who use it.

Second: I don't think Harry will finish off Voldemort with Avada Kedavra. AK Voldemort's MO, and it would be quite disappointing to see Harry do what Voldemort would do... I think JKR will be more original than that. Also, Harry doesn't have the proper training, and it would be an"evil" thing to do -- I just can't see Harry doing it. So far the best I can come up with is that, once Harry destroys all the Horcruxes, Voldemort will be mortal, and Harry will be able to kill him just like any other person (e.g., stabbing, pushing him off a precipice, etc.)

I like the theory about chucking the Horcurxes thru the veil. That sounds feasible...

Old July 20th, 2005, 12:29 am
First Year

There are things worse then death...says DD.....i assume Harry wont exactley murder Voldermort...so why use an unforgivable curse?

Old July 20th, 2005, 2:20 am
First Year

Wait how did DD black his hand. Whemn he destroyted it, or when he got it. (Like did he injure himself getting it through the magic barraiers. Or when he blew it up or whatever)

Old July 20th, 2005, 2:29 am
First Year

Some great ideas here. This is definitely an important topic. I predict that all the dark magic required to make or destroy horcruxes will be revealed by a new character in the last book. Maybe someone they find down Knockturn Alley.

I don't think DD has the answer for all of them, although he has experience with destroying the ring and Harry himself was able to destroy a horcrux by himself. I think the info from DD will come by way of his portrait.

Old July 20th, 2005, 2:37 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLazy_89
Maybe Harry needs to use the spell that Voldemort used to kill the specific victim for a certain Horcux .............u get it right?

For example if Voldemort killed Regulus with the Avada Kedavra than harry need to use the avada Kedavra on the hurcrox ( this is an example only, regulus was killed after the horcruxes)

I think this is a good idea, but if you will remember Slughorn said that in order to encase a piece of your soul in a Horcrux it took a spell. That being said, the counterspell to the spell should destroy the Horcrux and the bit of soul that it holds.

The question is, how to find out the spell and counterspell when the subject seems so taboo in the wizarding world? Not that Harry would take the intellectual route when destroying them, anyway. I think total annihalation will be more his style now.

Old July 20th, 2005, 3:22 am
Third Year

I'm really intrigued by possible plot(s) in book seven. After all, going to get to a horcrux (the locket -false clue) in a watery cave and climbing up cliffs was quite a quest. Now harry has to find four more (is it 4?) Sounds like these quests could almost use a book each!

anyway, to destroy them will depend on what each is made from --- melt down the locket, crush a crystal or rock etc. With each Horcrux gone, LV has lost a bit more of his soul. By the time Harry has to confront him, he will be pretty much a zombie and I don't think Harry's humanity will find much in LV still human.

BIG problem to me --- I think part of LV's soul has been left in Harry (Maybe entered through his scar). In order for LV to survive, Harry can't kill himself. But, in order for LV to be killed, Harry has to die too. "Neither can live while the other survives."

I hate this idea but I really believe Harry will not survive after killing LV. I think it's the only possible ending. It also means that JKR cannot be pursuaded to write further episodes after Hogwarts. This will REALLY be the last part of the story.

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:48 am
Third Year

just a tought on horcruxes. We are told to create a horcrux one must kill another. This rips the soul and with magic one can capture half of the soul and store it. At least that is what I recall. If so, then wouldn't each horcrux be proportionately smaller with V's soul? The first would have 1/2, the 2nd 1/4th, the 3rd 1/8th, the 4th 16th, the 5th 1/32nd and the 6th only 1/64th leaving Voldemort with 1/64th? From Slughorn's description I didn't get the impression one could slice off just as much as one wanted. It was half. So that only left half when the next one was formed to begin with.

If so, the difficulty of destroying each horcrux may be determined by the order in which it was created

Old July 20th, 2005, 5:46 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetopadfoot
so...

how exactly would a person destroy a horcrux? harry has to do it a bunch of times in the next book, but so far no one's been too concerned with how.

also, does the method of destruction change for each different object that the horcrux is? i.e. if it were a person or living thing, would it have to killed? and with an object such as the locket; you can't kill a locket, so how would one penetrate it?

hopefully harry, along with hermione the human dewey decimal system, will do some research and figure it out.
Even worse, how can you be sure that a horcrux is a horcrux?

Old July 20th, 2005, 6:49 am
Third Year

indeed. i think horcruxes still function as normal objects.

take the locket found in black manor that is assumed to be slytherin's and therefore the horcrux. i'm sure you could still wear it as a piece of jewelry and it wouldn't affect you. they just couldn't open it. horcruxes will be very hard to identify, but even as dumbledore said to harry when harry asked how he knew what to do when they were at the cave, dumbledore said that magic always leaves behind hints or residue or something.

anyway, to find the horcruxes, harry's gonna have to get really good at doing that... or just use hermione. =D

but we digress...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies