Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Destruction of a Horcrux

Old July 28th, 2005, 7:32 pm
First Year

I thought that chucking the horcruxes through the veil would be the solution. But then, why didn't Dumbledore think of it, why did he destroy the ring the stupid way and got hit by this curse?

Harry will have to magically release the parts of Voldemorts soul and vanquish the whole Voldemort. Will the released pieces zip back to Voldemort and unscar him?

Once all the horcruxes have been destroyed, the rebounded curse with which Voldemort tried to kill Harry, will come into full effect on Voldemort, as he is whole again. At least that will vanquish Voldemort without Harry having to kill him.

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2005, 9:23 pm
First Year

There is definitely no set way to destoy a horcrux. Remember, when Dumbledore destroyed the horcrux in the ring his hand was injured, but when Harry destroyed the diary he sustained no such injury. This lead me to believe that the way horcruxes are destroyed/ the retribution for doing so depends on what the horcrux is and who's sould is contained in it.

Old July 29th, 2005, 7:17 am
The Next Great Adventurer

How to destroy the Horcrux probably depends on the enchantments placed on it. I suspect that Voldemort's protective enchantments have gotten more deadly and dangerous with each Horcrux he created.

But I rather like the idea of chucking them through the veil. There is that handy dandy locked love room in the DoM., too.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old July 29th, 2005, 2:24 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice
My idealistic climax wouldn't have Harry AK'ing Voldemort, but having Wormtail, GoodSnape, or another pivotal adult character kill him. I also believe that love will play a part in his murder.

I think that is a good point. Harry will *try * to perfom AK but won't and I think Snape will jump in. I know that Wormtail is now bound to Harry because Harry saved his life but I don't think that extends to destroying his master for him.

But of course, Harry has to destroy all of the other Horcruxes first or all of this would be for naught. The other Horcruxes will be the puzzle, as we have mentioned. This, I think, is where Harry will need some help. He does pretty well in a tight corner but it would seem from Dumbledore's injury at the destruction of the ring horcrux that he wil need some very powerful help.

Last edited by siriusfriend; July 29th, 2005 at 2:26 pm.
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:27 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda10128
There are two problems that arise from HBP. First of all Harry doesn't know how to destroy a horocrux without piercing it with a basilisk fang. Dumbledore never tells him how to so how will Harry know how to destroy them presuming he finds the horocruxes? I bet it requires quite a bit of magic. Secondly the problem with the last horocrux in Voldemort is that Harry is pure of heart and all that soo he can't use the unforgivable curses. Thats why they fail on Bellatrix. He can't cause her pain but hes supposed to kill one of the most powerful wizards ever. Sure he has anger but I thought you had to want to cause pain and like it. Harry just wants revenge on him and snape so how's he gonna do it?
If it doesn't have to be a freshly killed basalisk fang, then Harry knows where to get more

Old July 30th, 2005, 8:03 am
First Year

Hmm.. well I wouldn't think that Harry can't figure out how to destroy a Horcrux. It seems like the heaviest enchantments are placed on the actual obstacles to obtain the Horcrux, not destroy it. I was under the impression that Dumbledore had injured his hand through an enchantment guarding the Horcrux, and that all you had to do to destroy the soul inside was to destroy the object completely. This is why I don't think that the veil would work. Because although the Horcruz wouldn't be in this world anymore, it would never have been destroyed.

Old July 30th, 2005, 2:29 pm
Fourth Year

Interesting things these Horcruxes are......Anyway, what if Harry can only destroy the Horcruxes unharmed because he is the one that is meant to kill the Dark Lord. Somewhat like the prophesy orb that only Harry, LV, and Neville can touch. The ring was an object and could obviously be destroyed so that is why DD could destroy it but not without harm.

Old July 30th, 2005, 2:45 pm

No, I think Harry is going to have an easy time destroying horcruxes because he is "The Chosen One". All that means is the prophecy saw a future where Harry can kill Voldemort. He has no special rights or powers given to him by virtue of being the subject of the prophecy. Some powers have been transferred to him because Voldemort chose him, but that will not include the ability to destroy horcruxes. Other than Harry's window into Voldemort's mind and Parseltongue, I don't think Harry has special powers. Harry does have the love power that the Dark Lord knows not, but that should help him in his final battle with Voldemort.

Last edited by ComicBookWorm; August 6th, 2005 at 7:51 am.
Old July 30th, 2005, 8:03 pm
First Year

I think the Sword of Gryffindor deserves a closer look. Don't forget, when the basilisk fang broke off, Harry had just at that very moment stabbed the snake with the sword. Is it possible some power from the sword was transferred through the fang or it's venom that allowed Harry to destroy the diary (or at least the soul fragment within it)?

As for the ring, we know it had a crack in it, and that it was no longer a Horcrux. I think it's possible that Dumbledore struck the ring with the sword, which was kept in his office, causing the crack and eliminating the soul fragment. As for his injuries, I believe that was a protective curse, but that's another thread.

I think, if I'm right, it's entirely possible that the Sword of Griffindor could be the ultimate weapon Harry needs to destroy all the Horcruxes, and in the end, Voldemort himself.

Also, do we know if Harry is directly descended from Godric Gryffindor? Dumbledore said that "only a true Gryffindor" could have pulled the sword from the Sorting Hat. He may have meant more by that than just Harry's place in the house. If Harry is a direct descendant, JKR could be setting up the ultimate, final battle between the heirs of Slytherin and Gryffindor.

Old July 30th, 2005, 11:35 pm
Second Year

I think it was more the Basilisk's power that destroyed the diary then some transferrance of power from the sword. Harry descendant of Gryffindor... That is possible. Harry's dad was a powerful pureblood so he might have been descended from Godric. That would make the ultimate showdown. Heir of Salazar Slytherin versus Heir of Godric Gryffindor.

As for the actual destruction of the Horcruxes themselves.. I think that an Order member will help Harry with that or maybe Snape.

Old July 31st, 2005, 3:52 am
Second Year

The ULTIMATE Guide to Destroying Horcruxes
-------------------------------------------
1) Use the Reductor Curse
Effectiveness: Theoretically Reliable [blowing up the Horcrux]
In Depth Analysis: The Reductor Curse is used to blow things up. Harry used it to blow up a small hole in the Triwizard Maze.

2) Using an extremely lethal weapon (sword, poison fang)
Effectiveness: Reliable [as shown in CoS]
In Depth Analysis: The sword of Gryffindor is believed to hold powers to destroy Horcruxes -- if all else fails.

3) Using the AK spell
Effectiveness: Theoretically Unreliable [AK destroys lifeforms, not chunks of soul]
In Depth Analysis: AK is used to kill, not destroy... but what if it works?

4) Using an Unknown Spell
Effectiveness: Unknown
In Depth Analysis: Maybe Snape will help, with another invented spell, but I doubt Harry will accept Snape's help.

Old August 1st, 2005, 3:49 am
Third Year

k so i've decided that arithmancy might play a bigger deal with the (assumedly) more powerful horcruxes. according to JKR's new wizard of the month, the person is responsible for coming up with why seven is the most powerful magical number and they were an arithmanthicist.

hermione loves arithmancy.

could this help the destruction of the seven pieces of voldy's soul?

Old August 1st, 2005, 6:50 am
First Year

I've also read (prob. somewhere on this site) that sectumsempra may be related to destroying horcruxes, especially since it seems to split things apart (as the ring was cracked apart after DD destroyed it).

When I finished reading HBP, I had the same question about how horcruxes could be systematically destroyed. I agree with those who say that they must each be destroyed according to the magic placed upon them individually, but I also think Harry has an edge. I don't have a copy of CoS on hand, but I believe when he destroyed the diary JKR wrote something about him moving instinctively, as if he had always known what to do. In HBP, Harry knows that the only way to give water to DD in the cave is to dip the goblet in the lake; JKR writes, "Harry knew, instinctively, the only way left to get water, because Voldemort had planned it so" (US Ed 574). There's something to Harry's "instinct" in these two horcrux scenes, I think. It must be related to what LV transferred to him when he created his scar, whether that be an incidental transfer or Harry turns out to be a horcrux himself. Either way, it seems like Harry's connection to LV may make him especially skilled at destroying LV's soul bits.

Any thoughts?

Old August 1st, 2005, 7:19 am

Harry has good instincts period. He's always known what to do in an emergency or under pressure. It's one of his strengths.

Old August 1st, 2005, 9:26 am
First Year

ComicBookWorm, I agree that that's one of his general strengths (although I take issue with the "always" - he's definitely made huge mistakes based on instinct), but I also think the wording is curious in its suggestion that Harry knew instinctively that Voldemort "had planned it so." It reads as if he is thinking the way Voldemort would think, which makes sense given the connection between the two of them (window into his mind, etc.) throughout the novels. While I don't think this is a "special power" in the way that the ability to transfigure things or cast spells ia a power, I think there is something about Harry's particular insight into Voldemort's way of thinking that will help him undo what Voldemort has done.

Old August 1st, 2005, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagejenn
ComicBookWorm, I agree that that's one of his general strengths (although I take issue with the "always" - he's definitely made huge mistakes based on instinct), but I also think the wording is curious in its suggestion that Harry knew instinctively that Voldemort "had planned it so." It reads as if he is thinking the way Voldemort would think, which makes sense given the connection between the two of them (window into his mind, etc.) throughout the novels. While I don't think this is a "special power" in the way that the ability to transfigure things or cast spells ia a power, I think there is something about Harry's particular insight into Voldemort's way of thinking that will help him undo what Voldemort has done.
The only mistake I can think of is going to the DoM for Sirius. Harry has great instincts in an emergency. When he thinks about things too much, he can either overthink them or come to the wrong conclusion. But under pressure, he seems to know exactly what he needs to do to survive.

Old August 1st, 2005, 2:33 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locket
I thought that chucking the horcruxes through the veil would be the solution. But then, why didn't Dumbledore think of it, why did he destroy the ring the stupid way and got hit by this curse?
No, the curse guarding the ring is what got Dumbledore. Once they get the Horcruxes themselves, it's easy going from there. No one got hurt holding the Diary, as was pointed out already.

So the real challenge becomes what to do about the traps around the Horcruxes. I think Harry will have an easy time of it because of his insight into Voldemort's mind. He knows enough of his past that he'll figure it out. I think I have already:

Voldemort set the cave up so that if he decided to have a trip down memory lane, by kidnapping a Muggle orphan and dragging them to the cave, it would be easy going for him. He would use their blood to open the door, and make them drink the potion. My theory is that all the traps around the Horcruxes will be set up so they relate to Voldemort's life when he first visited those places. Harry knows the Dark Lord's past, and will see this. He won't go as far as sacrificing Muggle children, but he will understand how Voldemort set up his defences and hopefully will figure out other ways to get past them.

"The final chapter of the seventh book is written."
-Joanne Kathleen Rowling, July 1999
Old August 1st, 2005, 4:36 pm
First Year

Anyone ever think that there will be more than 7 horcruxes ?

let's think if LV found out that 3 of his horcruxes are destroyed, he will make 3 more
well at least he will know that one of his horcrux is destroyed (the diary) from Lucious Malfoy don't u think he will assume that his horcruxes are now 6, therefore he will need to make another horcrux to make it 7 again ?

Old August 1st, 2005, 4:38 pm

Maybe you can only make so many. Seven was really pushing it to begin with.

Old August 1st, 2005, 4:42 pm
First Year

I mean
LV obviously know that he lost one of his horcrux from the diary
so why dont he make another one to make it 7 again ?
after all if u can divide ur soul into 2, and he can divide his soul into 7
then he can divide the soul that he own now into 2 again to make the total horcrux 7 again

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies