Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

The Mystery of R. A. B.

Old July 20th, 2005, 3:49 pm
MuggleNet Editorial

The Mystery of R. A. B.

Discussion for The Mystery of R. A. B. by Kirstie E.R.

My LiveJournal
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2005, 4:04 pm
First Year

I think it is Regulus Black as well. I highly doubt it is a new character we will be introduced to in the last because of what the note says: "To the Dark Lord, I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match,
you will be mortal once more. R. A. B." I never considered the locked locket; it may be true but when the locket was described, there was no snake-like S on it. Furthermore, "i know i will be dead long before you read this..." might imply that Voldemort found out R.A.B. knew the secret before he wrote the letter and stole the locket.

Last edited by Hurleysurfer5; July 20th, 2005 at 4:06 pm.
Old July 20th, 2005, 4:07 pm
First Year

Yep, definitely Regulus Black, and I think his middle name is Alphard - Sirius mentioned an uncle named Alphard, so the name Regulus Alphard Black fits, doesn't it?

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:07 pm
andywaller

my sister and i had a theory that the initials might not mean just one person. however the only people we could think of whould be Rudolphos and Bellatrix Lestrange, but having re-read the passage, i am pretty sure it is Regulus Black.

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:12 pm
Second Year

Great pick-up on the "circle speech" of Voldemort in GOF. I just assumed the horcruxes were a big secret but I guess not.

Do you think Emerson and Melissa directly asked JKR who is R.A.B?

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:21 pm
Second Year

yes great catch of the speech in the graveyard letting us know that the DE's know about the Horcruxes. This does make the argument for Regulus much stronger. I believe that Kreacher is the one who has the locket now.

Mercer

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:22 pm
First Year

Identity of R A B

Thanks for posting your theory. I also believe R A B could be Sirius' brother and wonder does that mean the locket or some other Horcrux might be at 12 Grimmauld Place?

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:23 pm
First Year

I totally agree with you. I think the fact we found out that Draco's grandfather's name started with an A (I don't remember the complete name just now and don't have my book with me) just supports this theory of RAB being Regulus. Walk with me down this path if you will: The Black's and Malfoy's are well known to be close. We know Lucius is just older then Siruis by 5 years or so (based on knowing Lucius's age and Sirius's age via knowing the *&$*#@$*@ Snape's age). We know both the Black parents are dead. I think we can reasonably make the assumption when Sirius was born his parents were older the average age of wizarding parents. We can then reasonably conclude that Sirius's parents and Lucius's parents were probably of the same generation. Thus it wouldn't be surprising to find they gave their second son - Regulus their friend's (Draco's grandfather) middle name.

JKR gave us to interesting names this time in weird places for seemingly no reason which of course means they are important.

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:23 pm
Examun

I agree with you, but want to add one note: from the looks of the note, RAB only knew of ONE Horcrux. His/her letter seems to indicate that s/he assumed that once Voldemort's body was destroyed, he would die. Your editorial suggests that RAB knew of them all. Not disputing, just adding.

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:25 pm
First Year

Having a thought

Why does the R.A.B thing have to be initials? I mean couldn't it be like a BFF (Best Friends Forever) thing. A hidden message that only Voldemort would understand if the note was found by someone else? Silent threat? Or a clue to someone about how to kill Voldy, that person who he hoped would be a match for Voldy? I'm just guessing now, but it's a thought right?

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:26 pm
First Year

I think it is Regulus too. I just cant find anyone else in the books that would fit, but i intend to keep looking anyway.
I have heard quite a few people think that the initials are of more than one person, but the letter itself keeps refering to "I" have stolen and that "I" know i will be dead etc, i may be wrong, but Regulus is what came into my head when i read that part.
The question is who helped him from what DD lead us to believe you need help to get the Horcrux.
As for the locket that was in Grimmauld Place i hope Mundungus hasnt taken it with the stuff he stole from there.

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:28 pm
First Year

Regulus Black

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:32 pm
schwartz12

also to confirm that he is a death eater:
He says the dark lord, and only death eaters call voldemort the dark lord.

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:38 pm
First Year

i agree! I thought it was regulus as soon as i read that chapter....
and if it isnt regulus it has to be another death eater b/c only the death easters refer to voldemort as the dark lord!

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:38 pm
Second Year

This is so not fair! I noticed Regulus A. Black by myself, and I wrote an editorial too, they didn't except it!

Oh, well. good job, well done!

"Speak your mind, even if your voice shakes." - Maggie Kuhn, social activist

My name is pronounced "Tah-rah", not "te-ra". In other word, the British way, not the American way.
Old July 20th, 2005, 4:39 pm
Second Year

I'm hoping it isn't Regulus Black as it took us all of 2 seconds to think of him. So in the name of interest I hope it is someone else - Regulus is so obvious. Unfortunately, I have lost faith in Ms Rowling's ability to surprise us and suspect you (and the millions of others who thought of it) are probably right.

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:40 pm
First Year

How do we know that Regulus is dead? Maybe Dumbledore protected him like he offered Draco. Maybe someone at the school is Regulus.

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:45 pm
First Year

Thank you for putting that suspicion out there first because I know there'll be plenty more that'll say R.A.B. is not Regulus but they'll have to contradict you. Nice editorial, knew this would be one of the first ones after HBP.

To discuss this editorial in particular through polls, please go here: http://www.freewebs.com/half-bloodpr...rialpolls2.htm

please go to my HP Polls site, now updated for polls about HBP and book 7: www.freewebs.com/half-bloodprince
Old July 20th, 2005, 4:46 pm
muggleborn2

Interesting

OOTP (American Version) pg 116 states that as they were cleaning out the cabinets in the House of Black (otherwise known as Number 12 Grimmauld Place) there was a "heavy locket that none of them could open". Could this be the missing Horcrux? I think Harry will have to make a trip to headquarters to have closure on his chapter with Sirius. Is it possible the locket did NOT get tossed out in the cleaning (maybe it was one of the items Kreacher "saved"). Or, did Mundungus "lift" the locket and maybe it now lies in Borgin and Burkes? At any rate, I think Regulus Black is a very good guess as to who took the locket. Why else would Voldemort kill him. Remember Sirius said he was killed by Voldemort or at least on his orders. Sirius didn't think Regulus could have been important enough to be killed by Voldemort directly, however, if he stole the Horcrux then certainly Voldemort would have had reason to kill him himself.

Old July 20th, 2005, 4:47 pm
First Year

The moment I read the initials, I was pretty sure it was Regulus Black as well (perhaps the Black family will be vindicated in some way through this act). Now the question is: where is the horcrux? Perhaps it is at 12 Grimmauld Place? Perhaps it is one of those not-so-innocent looking trinkets that the OOTP tried to dispose in GOF? I always wondered why Jo described the cleanup of that house in such great detail. Perhaps Mundugus has pilfered it and is trying to dispose it off? But if it is anything like the Tom RIddle's diary, it is not going to be so easy or simple.

So where is the horcrux?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial