Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: Forum Suggestions



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old August 8th, 2005, 3:20 pm
Morgoth's Avatar
Morgoth  Male.gif Morgoth is offline
Genius Loci
 
Joined: 4496 days
Location: Fons et Origo
Posts: 7,285
Comments on: Forum Suggestions

Official Admin Sponsor(s): lanifiel

Unlike other comments threads, this one will work slightly differently. If you suggest something and the sponsor thinks it's a good idea he or she will suggest it in the relevant staff area. We will attempt to assess and answer your suggestion within five days of it being taken up by staff.

When the Sponsor decides to take up your suggestion he or she will quote your post and leave a message in the thread to indicate we are considering it. Once we have decided on the idea, the sponsor will return to the thread and inform the member of the outcome.

It is important to remember that whilst you may not get your suggestion approved, we do read and listen and discuss it.

Thank you


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old October 1st, 2005, 5:54 am
Tiberius's Avatar
Tiberius  Male.gif Tiberius is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4351 days
Location: umop ap!sdn w,i
Age: 35
Posts: 3,974
*Feeling kind of nervous going first...*

In the Spirit Division there is the "Is the Bible True" thread. This thread has the possibility of being a great debate thread, but as it's in the SD, we aren't allowed to have a discussion in there. is it possible to have the thread moved to the DoIMC so we can discuss the issues raised, or, if this isn't appropriate, is it okay to create a thread in the DoIMC to discuss it while leaving the original in the SD?


__________________

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.


Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 1st, 2005, 8:23 am
lanifiel  Male.gif lanifiel is offline
Unloved by all...
 
Joined: 4371 days
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius
*Feeling kind of nervous going first...*

In the Spirit Division there is the "Is the Bible True" thread. This thread has the possibility of being a great debate thread, but as it's in the SD, we aren't allowed to have a discussion in there. is it possible to have the thread moved to the DoIMC so we can discuss the issues raised, or, if this isn't appropriate, is it okay to create a thread in the DoIMC to discuss it while leaving the original in the SD?
I dont see any problem with having a new thread in the DoIMC about this. I'll start one.


__________________

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 15th, 2005, 5:44 pm
rich_505's Avatar
rich_505  Male.gif rich_505 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3574 days
Location: Hull, England
Age: 25
Posts: 1,671
May I suggest a review of the Daily Prophet Guidelines? They are slightly out of date, and not very informative.

For example; people often post links to sites which sell things, and moderators delete/lock them because it is not allowed. HOWEVER the guidelines do not state this.

People are not clear on each website only being allowed one thread either, many people post new threads if thier thread is not on the first page; more awareness of the seach utility in DP would be brilliant and would save moderators much time I would imagine.


__________________

Tiiiiiime tooo, saaay gooooooodbyeee!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 16th, 2005, 3:30 pm
MWPP  Female.gif MWPP is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 3382 days
Location: Carlisle, England
Age: 22
Posts: 585
Organising the post count a bit? Say, seperating the posts into the areas they were posted in eg.
History of Magic- (number of posts in that area)
(List of all posts in History of Magic)
Common Room- (number of posts in that area)
(List of all posts in Common Room)
etc.

So you would be able to find your posts easier and it would help people know how many times they had posted in the qualifying areas for Hogsmeade.


__________________
[image removed - only 300x300 or less allowed]

"Everything in this room is eatible, even I'm eatible. But that, dear children, is called cannibalism and is frowned upon in most societies."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 16th, 2005, 6:45 pm
worlds_cutest_ferret  Female.gif worlds_cutest_ferret is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3885 days
Location: Louisiana
Age: 25
Posts: 221
I have a suggestion to make an off topic Quidditch Pitch or game forum. Some of my favorite threads(Guess the Movie, This or That) are gone and I think plenty of users would love an off topic game forum.


__________________
"For God's sake ma, I'm 26 years old!"
"Excuse me mista grown-up. What do you want for breakfast?"
"Chocolate milk and Eggos, please!"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 16th, 2005, 11:43 pm
rotsiepots's Avatar
rotsiepots  Undisclosed.gif rotsiepots is offline
McMugwump Supreme
 
Joined: 4379 days
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 7,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPP
Organising the post count a bit?
You can do this via the search function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worlds_cutest_ferret
I have a suggestion to make an off topic Quidditch Pitch or game forum. Some of my favorite threads(Guess the Movie, This or That) are gone and I think plenty of users would love an off topic game forum.
I'm afraid we don't have the resources.


__________________


Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 21st, 2005, 8:11 pm
lupislune's Avatar
lupislune  Male.gif lupislune is offline
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.
 
Joined: 3778 days
Location: Under the trees
Posts: 1,654
Perhaps this has been answered, before, but I am curious if there are plans to incorporate a spell checker into the "Advanced" option when replying to threads. I have noticed that other forums have them, but as of yet I have not seen one here. Are they a nightmare to code? It seems that it might be.


__________________

Peeves wuz here!


Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.


Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 21st, 2005, 9:24 pm
Ali's Avatar
Ali  Male.gif Ali is offline
TheWizard
 
Joined: 4487 days
Location: UK
Age: 28
Posts: 1,822
I'll think about adding one in the next major forum upgrade. No ETAs I'm afraid.


__________________
^^^ Please keep in mind that my opinions are mine only and do NOT reflect those of the CoS Staff.

~ http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 21st, 2005, 9:48 pm
Machiavelli's Avatar
Machiavelli  Undisclosed.gif Machiavelli is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 3741 days
Location: Oymyakon
Posts: 4,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard
I'll think about adding one in the next major forum upgrade. No ETAs I'm afraid.
Quick and ignorant question - would a spell-checker be fixed to either English or American standard spelling or would there be a choice? The way the question was phrased makes me think the spell-checker would be a tool you could choose to use (or not)... or would it be something that highlights each mispelled word as you type it?


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 21st, 2005, 9:55 pm
anabel's Avatar
anabel  Undisclosed.gif anabel is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 3690 days
Location: Godric's Hollow
Posts: 9,184
There is a spell checker in the Google Toolbar which works really well for me! It's free to download and use, and I use it all the time.

You just type your post, click on the ABC Check button on the toolbar, and it highlights your spelling mistakes and suggests alternatives. Then you post as normal. It takes seconds!


__________________
So long and thanks for all the fish!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 22nd, 2005, 3:33 am
lupislune's Avatar
lupislune  Male.gif lupislune is offline
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.
 
Joined: 3778 days
Location: Under the trees
Posts: 1,654
Thanks


__________________

Peeves wuz here!


Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.


Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 28th, 2005, 4:55 pm
GodricHollow's Avatar
GodricHollow  Male.gif GodricHollow is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 3766 days
Location: Homer's Pub, Shrimperzone
Age: 25
Posts: 4,245
In Flourish and Blotts I, along with countless others I can presume, am having problems finding our works, I understand that if it's not on the first page it's probably on the second and so on, but what if we top a tip from Mugglenet and organised them into sections like James/Lilly & Marauder stories, Alternate books 6 and 7s, Spoofs and Spin-Offs? I think I can talk for many authors when I say that this could improve the rate of responses to works, a slight problem of mine at the moment, and that these separations may help solve that problem.

I'll stop yabbering now.


__________________
SOUTHEND UNITED 1
VS
CHELSEA FC 1
FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 28th, 2005, 5:55 pm
Liselle's Avatar
Liselle  Female.gif Liselle is offline
Doctor's Companion
 
Joined: 4175 days
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,534
Just a thought.....

I don't know if its been mooted before or if its possible but for the areas where members posts count towards hogsmeade could it be labeled as such???

I know for areas like the quidditch pitch already "post count is off" is next to the description........


__________________
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 28th, 2005, 7:49 pm
lanifiel  Male.gif lanifiel is offline
Unloved by all...
 
Joined: 4371 days
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricHollow
In Flourish and Blotts I, along with countless others I can presume, am having problems finding our works, I understand that if it's not on the first page it's probably on the second and so on, but what if we top a tip from Mugglenet and organised them into sections like James/Lilly & Marauder stories, Alternate books 6 and 7s, Spoofs and Spin-Offs? I think I can talk for many authors when I say that this could improve the rate of responses to works, a slight problem of mine at the moment, and that these separations may help solve that problem.

I'll stop yabbering now.
I dont mind that idea. I'll bring it up with the other admins. See what flys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle
Just a thought.....

I don't know if its been mooted before or if its possible but for the areas where members posts count towards hogsmeade could it be labeled as such???

I know for areas like the quidditch pitch already "post count is off" is next to the description........
Hmmm we dont want people to only post for Hogsmeade access... We want them to get around and have some fun on the boards in lots of sections. I feel labeling might induce some to think they should be posting only in certain sections...


__________________

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old October 29th, 2005, 12:25 pm
Liselle's Avatar
Liselle  Female.gif Liselle is offline
Doctor's Companion
 
Joined: 4175 days
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanifiel
Hmmm we dont want people to only post for Hogsmeade access... We want them to get around and have some fun on the boards in lots of sections. I feel labeling might induce some to think they should be posting only in certain sections...
Fair enough I know what you mean, I just thought it might ease up the questions.



__________________
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old October 29th, 2005, 9:46 pm
IC_Thestrals's Avatar
IC_Thestrals  Female.gif IC_Thestrals is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 3386 days
Location: South Florida, land O' Sharks
Posts: 1,113
Hi!

I would like to suggest that you change the "COS Forum Rules" to the title "Ministry of Magic Decrees" and the different rules can be labeled "Educational Decree 22-indefinate". Just a suggestion but I thought it would be fun and more true to the HP theme.


__________________

Harry Potter Personality Quiz
by Pirate Monkeys Inc.

I always knew I was destined for great things.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old October 29th, 2005, 10:06 pm
grrliz's Avatar
grrliz  Female.gif grrliz is offline
Professor Emeritus
 
Joined: 3745 days
Location: Photoshop
Age: 32
Posts: 2,396
It's a cute idea, but I worry that we'll sacrifice clarity for the sake of keeping the titles within the Harry Potter world. i.e. "Signature Policy" is a lot more straightforward than "Educational Decree 5", and doesn't give anyone the excuse of not being able to find the Signature Policy due to it's name.


Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old October 30th, 2005, 1:48 am
IC_Thestrals's Avatar
IC_Thestrals  Female.gif IC_Thestrals is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 3386 days
Location: South Florida, land O' Sharks
Posts: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrliz
It's a cute idea, but I worry that we'll sacrifice clarity for the sake of keeping the titles within the Harry Potter world. i.e. "Signature Policy" is a lot more straightforward than "Educational Decree 5", and doesn't give anyone the excuse of not being able to find the Signature Policy due to it's name.
I was thinking more like "Educational Decree 5 - Signature Policy" rather than just saying number 5 but its just a suggestion. Obviously you all have to concur before anything happens so its up to you and I understand clarity being an issue.


__________________

Harry Potter Personality Quiz
by Pirate Monkeys Inc.

I always knew I was destined for great things.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old October 30th, 2005, 6:59 pm
anabel's Avatar
anabel  Undisclosed.gif anabel is offline
Member of the Order
 
Joined: 3690 days
Location: Godric's Hollow
Posts: 9,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Thestrals
I was thinking more like "Educational Decree 5 - Signature Policy" rather than just saying number 5 but its just a suggestion. Obviously you all have to concur before anything happens so its up to you and I understand clarity being an issue.
I hope you are not suggesting that our wonderful staff are like Fudge and Umbridge or that the forum rules are like Ministry decrees!


__________________
So long and thanks for all the fish!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:02 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.