Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: Forum Suggestions

Old August 11th, 2011, 6:31 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Re: Comments on: Forum Suggestions

That's a good idea. I'll put it up for discussion to the staff and will get back to you on it

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:52 pm
Second Year

Why is Anime a major forum of Diagon Alley? I know that a lot of the staff really likes Anime, but only the same group of people seem to post in it. I was just thinking that maybe it could be moved to a Sub-Forum in Fiction.

"When I was about twelve, I used to think I must be a genius, but nobody's noticed. Either I'm a genius or I'm mad, which is it? 'No,' I said, 'I can't be mad because nobody's put me away; therefore I'm a genius.' Genius is a form of madness and we're all that way. But I used to be coy about it, like me guitar playing. But if there's such a thing as genius - I am one. And if there isn't, I don't care." - John Lennon
Old August 16th, 2011, 6:21 am
Chief Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie330 View Post
Why is Anime a major forum of Diagon Alley? I know that a lot of the staff really likes Anime, but only the same group of people seem to post in it. I was just thinking that maybe it could be moved to a Sub-Forum in Fiction.
Most things can be organised in a number of different ways without any of them being way better than all the others. If what you now suggest had been done from the beginning it might have worked well enough but if we start reshuffling the forums without it being absolutely necessary, we would only create confusion instead of improvement.

So, thanks for your interest but for the time being we have no plans to reorganize the forums.

Old August 16th, 2011, 2:47 pm
Second Year

Just want to say I think you guys have done a tremendous job keeping up with the Pottermore threads! I appreciate how hard it must be moderating something you're in the dark about yourself and with not a lot of good feedback (and a fair amount of complaints!) so just wanted so say I am impressed! Keep up the good work!

Old August 16th, 2011, 5:46 pm
MODLY CREW

Thank you!

Old October 5th, 2011, 8:11 am
Second Year

Well, I was looking through my Owls, and I noticed something in my welcome owl. It says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoS Forums Staff
Creating a new thread
When starting a new thread make sure to read the descriptions of the thread categories carefully so you put it in the right spot. For example, if you want to start a thread about something that happened in books 1-5 it would go in History of Magic.
History of Magic is currently in the archives, and not a working category anymore. Just a humble suggestion that you might want to update that part. (I received my welcome owl on March 17 of this year.)

Old October 5th, 2011, 8:27 pm
Eldest Gruff

Thank you! I'm afraid there are some bugs in that welcome owl in the meantime. We'll look at it asap.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:30 am
Fifth Year

Forum Idea

IDK if this is where to put this but it's the best I could think of.

I know one of any forums biggest problems is trolling, and let's face it as well as our mods are they can't be on 24/7/365.

So I propose this idea. Integrate into the coding a rating system for each post. People can like/dislike posts and if it reaches a certain negative level it's hidden or deleted.

I have seen a site with this and it works quite well for filtering spam from the pages. At least til the Mods can see it to delete it themselves

Fan Fic
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114430

Feedback
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114436
Old November 7th, 2011, 8:44 am
MODLY CREW

Re: Forum Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter_fan View Post
IDK if this is where to put this but it's the best I could think of.

I know one of any forums biggest problems is trolling, and let's face it as well as our mods are they can't be on 24/7/365.

So I propose this idea. Integrate into the coding a rating system for each post. People can like/dislike posts and if it reaches a certain negative level it's hidden or deleted.

I have seen a site with this and it works quite well for filtering spam from the pages. At least til the Mods can see it to delete it themselves
To be honest, I've been on sites like this as well and it's pretty much always being abused by members. It can turn into a form of bullying itself. We do have a report post button, which you can use whenever you spot a post that is in violation of our rules. But maybe an admin will have something further to say on this.

Old November 7th, 2011, 8:56 am
Fifth Year

Re: Forum Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
To be honest, I've been on sites like this as well and it's pretty much always being abused by members. It can turn into a form of bullying itself. We do have a report post button, which you can use whenever you spot a post that is in violation of our rules. But maybe an admin will have something further to say on this.
it can but I think on a family friendly forums such as this there is a lesser chance of that happening

Fan Fic
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114430

Feedback
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114436
Old November 7th, 2011, 1:34 pm
Chief Warlock

I agree with Moriath, but I would like to add that our current report system is much faster when correctly used. I don't want to take the risk that something really not family friendly goes undetected only because people prefer to just dislike instead of reporting.

Old November 7th, 2011, 2:44 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

What's trolling? I have seen this word before, and I am not sure of what it means.

Old November 7th, 2011, 3:14 pm
Second Year

A troll is somebody who deliberately goes on an internet site such as this one, and posts off topic, inflammatory or insulting remarks to solicit an emotional response from people. It can be actually a form of bullying.

I'm a Hufflepuff in a Slytherin World!

snape lives imho
Old November 7th, 2011, 9:13 pm
Eldest Gruff

Yep, that's a good description! It also goes along with being not honest about your personal life situation or who you are (you're not forced to provide such information at all, but if you do, they should be true).

That's why we also forbid duplicate accounts. We see this as form of trolling, even if people stay polite but only spam the forums after their liking. And it is sometimes even an dangerous act, eg when adult people pretend to be teenagers or kids.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old November 19th, 2011, 2:08 am
First Year

A forum update would be quite nice! It's always nice to keep things current and modern! c:

However, if this forum has been recently updated, then ignore this suggestion!

Old November 19th, 2011, 2:16 am
Seventh Year

Since we can use the Pottermore house crests in our sigs, would it be possible to change the ones here to the Pottermore ones as well (Ie, Sorting Hat thread and smilies)? Especially since there's an Eagle and not a Raven in the Ravenclaw Pottermore crest?

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown

owlcat207 - first batch - Proud Member of the House of the Dancing Cupcakes
Old November 19th, 2011, 7:30 am
Chief Warlock

That would be plagiarism, wouldn't it?

I'm afraid the answer is no.

Old April 8th, 2012, 9:20 am
First Year

Hi everyone, I hope I post comment in right place, the comment I give is evaluation I perceive of Mugglenet.

When I first join Mugglenet I immediately receive spam pm out of blue, I then turn concerned, I went to re-read the rules and decide to share my evaluation.

With one look at Mugglenet I immediately know it's a promising site just like I once join my first forum I visit, when being pick as moderator/Auror is privilege as it was secure site guests can entrust on before apply. What caught my interest most is the forum's layout, and the social groups, they help peer groups understanding each other; when I join Hufflepuff despite my reluctance I feel surprised and it was pleasant, it's not typical one I join (it's a compliment) for no reason I smile because I enjoy being with them at ease to talk or not to talk. I suddenly feel member's chanting at my sorting thread isn't that bad at all... I find it now amusing and fun to join in others.

The second which caught my attention is the rules and abrupt rude awakening from the spam, today I wonder should I bring it up as it can change life a bit. It's the concern I always wanted to talk to admin about, but I haven't got a chance to talk because I receive culture shock on first day receiving spam and changes of my sorting thread, this already remedied after I met Hes explaining to me with good reasons.

One of the rules has bugged me:

Quote:
10. CoS Forums does not encourage members to openly discuss file sharing activities. Whilst we understand that file sharing is a fact of life and will be continued by a lot of people, we will not allow members to openly support this activity publicly. Any threads which discuss, request or encourage downloading of illegal material such as the HP Movies or MP3s will be deleted by staff, and offending members will receive a two-point warning. Private discussion is between yourselves and is not discouraged, but we would strongly advise you look elsewhere for file sharing tips and advice. This rule WILL be enforced.
This is good rule, there's nothing right or wrong, but it's the misinterpretation if members believe she was seeing the whole forum is strict with reasons and guides, person will not read others but majorly the rules as it was their lifeline. Yes... spam policy will be ignore and be prioritize as minor as it wasn't stated in the rules, whoever other newbies will be shun away to read the rest after reading the rules as they following admin's instructions.

I choose not to do that as it was my old habit, I understand some places can let all members feel they can't keep up so I have a feeling this may happen in large communities. Can the summary of spam policy add under the category of this rule?

Old April 8th, 2012, 2:10 pm
Chief Warlock

First: Kindly be informed that CoS Forums and MuggleNet are different sites with different owners and staff.

While you are right in that our spam policy should have been mentioned in the main rules, there is a clear reference to the Zero Tolerance Policy where our view on spamming is made very clear. Which means no one can seriously claim they didn't know about it.

As pms, or owls as we call them here are private and the staff can't read them, we can't catch owl spammers unless members receiving spam owls forward them to a staff member.

Thanks for your input, we'll take it into consideration.

Old April 9th, 2012, 4:07 am
First Year

Okay, I shouldn't confused Cosforum and mugglenet together, you're right.

Please do.

About Olympics, I'm looking forward to watch this year as it's hosted in London. I wish you all the luck! If we have Olympic online based on art and writing it will be fun, earlier I was amused to use 'torch' in offsite to keep faith as a lot of people dying to contribute contest.

This forum reminds me of first Harry Potter forum I join five years ago, my first boss having fun create games/event for fake Olympic online, it's pretty funny but enjoyable. I forgot which group win, I think it's 'America'. This year is London's turn.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services