Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

Which Wizard? An Analysis of R.A.B.

Old August 24th, 2005, 6:39 am
MuggleNet Editorial

Which Wizard? An Analysis of R.A.B.

Discussion for Which Wizard? An Analysis of R.A.B. by Grace Li.

My LiveJournal
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2005, 7:24 am
pottyweasel

Great theories on all four possibilities. I just want to clear up something that seems like a misconception. When Voldemort says "those who knew the steps I took to Immortality" (or something along those lines), that doesnt necessarily mean Horcruxes. Voldemort says himself that the night when he seemingly was killed in Godric's Hollow that "one or so of my expirements succeeded." All that can be deduced is that Voldemort shared with his death eaters some of his expirements, maybe not all of them, so maybe no death eaters know about the horcruxes.

What I dont understand is why did Voldemort conduct several different experiments if all he needed was to create Horcruxes. I do not believe that when Voldemort says experiments he is just referring to the horcruxes and the really he didnt try anything else, because I think that experiments means seperate experiments, not one experiments with several parts.

Old August 24th, 2005, 8:15 am
halo6819

i just had an idea. What if the 'A' in R.A.B. is not a name but the word 'and'. i thought this after reading your last paragraph stressing that whoever stole the horcrux must have an acomplice.

or an even looneyer theory, maybe R.A.B. is three people using only one intial each

problem with this theory is that the note is writen in the first person, so why would the signature be more then one person...

i have no idea to be honest, unless its like a birthday card, one person writes and everyone signs it

Old August 24th, 2005, 10:41 am
First Year

I liked this editorial, though it mostly just summes up what other people have already said. I have never seen the Bagman-twist before. It was interesting, but can not be said to be heavily supported.

Read my editorials Lord Thingy and DOM; are we missing something, and my fanfic Lemon drops. It's really short, but I have been told it's funny. If you don't understand it you're not supposed to.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is bunny. Bunny loves you. Paste bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination. Bunny is watching you.

Last edited by NemorosaKnopp; August 24th, 2005 at 10:41 am. Reason: writing error
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:20 pm
First Year

great editorial could be anybody.

Old August 24th, 2005, 1:01 pm
First Year

love all the theorys! im sick of the regulus black one! Although im well aware that thats th one that makes the most sense.
I really like th idea of RAB's accomplise. They could be anyone...... maybe someone we know really well already(kinda like the HBP being snape)?
I still think that RAB dosnt have to be initials. It could be something like the half blood prince,H.b.p., again? or it could be 3 ppl or it could have an and in th middle, th possibilitys are endless!
good editorial

Witness: "No."
Lawyer: "So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy?" Witness: "No."
Lawyer: "How can you be so sure, Doctor?"
Witness: "Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar."
Lawyer: "But could the patient have still been alive nevertheless?"
Old August 24th, 2005, 1:22 pm
Second Year

Why knowledge of the Prophecy?

I'm a bit intrigued how you got from 'find your match' to familiarity with the prophecy. I don't see that as a requirement. Could you explain?

Old August 24th, 2005, 1:34 pm
MANDAODELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo6819
i just had an idea. What if the 'A' in R.A.B. is not a name but the word 'and'. i thought this after reading your last paragraph stressing that whoever stole the horcrux must have an acomplice.

or an even looneyer theory, maybe R.A.B. is three people using only one intial each

problem with this theory is that the note is writen in the first person, so why would the signature be more then one person...

i have no idea to be honest, unless its like a birthday card, one person writes and everyone signs it
This is what I think, I like it.

Old August 24th, 2005, 1:48 pm
Registered Animagus

Now that's some food for thought, and I don't mean Ceasar Salad.

Firstly, I'd like to address Sirius' view of his brother ... weak and an idiot. Don't most big brothers think that of their little brothers? Don't have any firsthand knowledge since I'm not a brother, but that seems likely to me.

Also, I don't trust Sirius' judgment in this area. He also thought Pettigrew was a weak, talentless thing, and he turned out to be anything but. I think it's just Sirius' ego thinking that there are only two or three people in the world that are as good as he is. If RAB does turn out to be Regulus (and Sirius were alive), he'd have to eat those words.

I think we can eliminate Grandpa Black. Sirius says that his family were not DE, except for Regulus, but thought that LV had the right idea. We don't know when Grandpa died, though, and Regulus may have gone to him for help. Grandparents are always more sympathetic and willing to help. So I guess we can't eliminate him entirely.

I'd also eliminate Borgin for your reasons.

Father Bagman does sound promising, though. If it is him, I hope he didn't give the locket to Ludo for safekeeping. If he did, it's probably in some pawnshop somewhere.

To address a couple of other issues ... I don't think the DE knew about the horcruxes. They knew LV had taken steps toward immortality, but I don't think he'd take the chance of telling them exactly what. And as Dumbledore said, if Lucius had known what the diary really contained, he wouldn't have been so careless with it.

I also don't think that RAB had to know about the prophecy. When he says "meet your match" it's sort of like saying, "someday you're gonna get yours."

Wouldn't it be funny if R.A.B. is another one of Snape's self-styled titles like HBP? How about "Ruddy Auld Baron?"

Old August 24th, 2005, 2:23 pm
First Year

Griffindora here! Haven't been on in awhile and I try to get on when I can but between work and going on vacation this past month, haven't been around much. Anyway, gotta respond to this editorial which as usual was great, well-written, giving thoughtful insight, etc., etc... I think there is another possibility as to what happened to the locket that was found in Grimmauld Place in OotP, that it maybe wasn't just tossed out when they were cleaning the place out. As we know from HBP, (sorry haven't got my copy with me, leant out of course to friends!) Harry discovered that probably right after Sirius's death , Mundungus Fletcher being an Order member and having access to Grimmauld Place, was raiding it for Black family heirlooms to sell as hot goods which Harry angrily confronted him over in Hogsmeade as legally now they were Harry's goods willed to him by Sirius. I personally think one of the things Dung grabbed off-handedly not realizing what it was was this very locket which he sold to who-knows-who and lord knows where it is now, something left as part of the plot of Book 7. Just my little ol' take on things...

Old August 24th, 2005, 3:02 pm
First Year

Very good editorial! I like the idea of Bagman Sr. though there is not enough evidence to support it, but still there isn't enough evidence to support anybody.
I'm inclined to believe RAB is Regulus but I'd like to be surprised with someone completely different.

I don't believe that the DE knew about the horcruxes, and when Voldemort talks about his experiments, I always thought that he probably didn't know if his horcruxes worked or not, since he is the first wizard to do multiple horcruxes, he probably didn't know if that was possible to do.

Last edited by gabrielle26; August 24th, 2005 at 3:16 pm. Reason: spelling
Old August 24th, 2005, 3:40 pm
Inconceivable!

I thought you did a good job with the editorial. I disagree on two points:
1.- the prophecy had nothing to do with Voldemort's immortality and someone trying to make him mortal again. Voldemort had started making horcruxes in order to achieve immortality years and years before the prophecy came out. So R.A.B. does not have to know about the prophecy
2. the death eaters didn't know about the horcruxes, they only knew that Voldemort had taken stepps to achieve immortality. Now they may have guessed, but they definitely weren't told by Voldemort. That is a secret that he would have wanted to keep at all costs.

Old August 24th, 2005, 4:01 pm
Second Year

I also believe that at least not all of the Death Eaters knew about the Horcruxes. I think Voldemort would want to keep information of his Horcruxes as private as possible, and Dumbeldore seemed to think that only he and Harry knew for sure about the Horcruxes.

It's great that people keep coming up with possibilities to explore, gives us more to think about!

I think R.A.B. is probably Regulus. He does seem to fit the best, especially if you take it that Sirius might have been slightly biased when he gave a personal account of Regulus' talents. But we never know what Rowling is going to do next!

Old August 24th, 2005, 4:33 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffindora
I think there is another possibility as to what happened to the locket that was found in Grimmauld Place in OotP, that it maybe wasn't just tossed out when they were cleaning the place out.
It was tossed out, but when Hermione brought Kreacher's Christmas present to his nest, they saw some small glittering objects there. So, Kreacher may have retireved it, and you're right, it's still there.
Quote:
As we know from HBP, (sorry haven't got my copy with me, leant out of course to friends!) Harry discovered that probably right after Sirius's death , Mundungus Fletcher being an Order member and having access to Grimmauld Place, was raiding it for Black family heirlooms to sell as hot goods which Harry angrily confronted him over in Hogsmeade as legally now they were Harry's goods willed to him by Sirius. I personally think one of the things Dung grabbed off-handedly not realizing what it was was this very locket which he sold to who-knows-who and lord knows where it is now, something left as part of the plot of Book 7. Just my little ol' take on things...
Also agree with you here. The locket could be anywhere. He might even have sold it to Aberforth when Harry saw them together in Hogsmeade. But even if Harry puts two-and-two together, the Ministry will never let him into Azkaban to question MF about it.

Old August 24th, 2005, 4:35 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Dumbledore says he doesn't think the DEs knew there were multiple Horcruxes.

Old August 24th, 2005, 5:40 pm
First Year

Well presented editorial. I like all the theories, they keep us all thinking about the possibilities. I'd have to say that by canon evidence Regulus is in the lead to be R.A.B., but it just seems too easy.

Albus Dumbledore
Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 14, Page 264
Old August 24th, 2005, 5:55 pm
First Year

Interesting. I hadn't thought of Ludo Bagman - nice brainwave though.

I think you left out one very important criteria in your list- knowledge of the cave.

If you include this, then R.A.B. could be little Amy Benson. There's another thread that proposed this, and I posted my additional theory that Amy was a late bloomer in terms of magical talent, attended Hogwarts, was an early follower of Tom/Voldemort, fell 'in love' with him (as the abused sometimes do with their abusers), became a DE, eventually realized her love would never be returned, knew about the locket so as to have it and the note ready for when she found the Horcrux. The original thread proposed that R.A.B. died from the poison and became one of the inferi guarding it (which is why only one inferi jumped out of the lake when Harry did the Accio charm because she had the Horcrux).

There's two more new threads on R.A.B., and I haven't read them yet, so I don't know if this has been brought up yet. Cheers.

Old August 24th, 2005, 6:09 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo6819
i just had an idea. What if the 'A' in R.A.B. is not a name but the word 'and'.
Now that's a theory! Could it be Regulus and Borgin Since I'm torn between both men being R.A.B, and one or the other would have needed an accomplice, this theory makes total sense.

Last edited by denogirl; August 24th, 2005 at 6:11 pm.
Old August 24th, 2005, 6:31 pm
First Year

good editorial! I'm most inclined to believe that its Regulus. I think that if it's not Regulus, then its most likely
a) a title, like "HBP" or
b) an abbreviation for a group of people...like, for lack of creativity, "Rebels Against Brutes." Wouldn't it be funny if there were another version of the Order that infiltrated the Death Eaters, or a group of Death Eaters gone good that decided to go against Voldy that no one knows about? Perhaps Regulus was a member of that group but didn't actually find that horocrux himself? I'm thinking those people, if this farfetched idea were remotely true, would have to be dead, or they would have helped the Order.
but I don't think the a stands for and, b/c that wouldn't make grammatical sense.

Old August 24th, 2005, 6:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda
Now that's some food for thought, and I don't mean Ceasar Salad.

Firstly, I'd like to address Sirius' view of his brother ... weak and an idiot. Don't most big brothers think that of their little brothers? Don't have any firsthand knowledge since I'm not a brother, but that seems likely to me.

Also, I don't trust Sirius' judgment in this area. He also thought Pettigrew was a weak, talentless thing, and he turned out to be anything but. I think it's just Sirius' ego thinking that there are only two or three people in the world that are as good as he is. If RAB does turn out to be Regulus (and Sirius were alive), he'd have to eat those words.

I think we can eliminate Grandpa Black. Sirius says that his family were not DE, except for Regulus, but thought that LV had the right idea. We don't know when Grandpa died, though, and Regulus may have gone to him for help. Grandparents are always more sympathetic and willing to help. So I guess we can't eliminate him entirely.

I'd also eliminate Borgin for your reasons.

Father Bagman does sound promising, though. If it is him, I hope he didn't give the locket to Ludo for safekeeping. If he did, it's probably in some pawnshop somewhere.

To address a couple of other issues ... I don't think the DE knew about the horcruxes. They knew LV had taken steps toward immortality, but I don't think he'd take the chance of telling them exactly what. And as Dumbledore said, if Lucius had known what the diary really contained, he wouldn't have been so careless with it.

I also don't think that RAB had to know about the prophecy. When he says "meet your match" it's sort of like saying, "someday you're gonna get yours."

Wouldn't it be funny if R.A.B. is another one of Snape's self-styled titles like HBP? How about "Ruddy Auld Baron?"
I have to agree with you about Sirius' oppinion of his brother. Sirius also didn't have much of an oppinion of Snape or Petigrew for that matter and look at where Snape ended up (Potions master?) and Petigrew was at least clever enough to fool Sirius, Lupin, and James. I wonder if Petigrew could have fooled Harry? After all Harry was on to Malfoy from the start of HBP when Ron and Hermione kept trying to make him forget it. I wonder if they regret that now?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial