Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Hermione and Ron - Where to from here?

Old September 27th, 2005, 11:23 pm
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971
Oh, I agree. I think we'll have to rely on fanfiction after book 7 though. Although, I am holding on to a slim hope that she might get more inspiration for a story involving their children.
Could be interesting at that, I'd be happy just to find out that they'll have children myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potency
That's interesting...my impression from HBP was that Ron was getting to be somewhat of a studly playboy. I mean, he was still definately Ron, with all the insecurities we've grown to love in him...but this Ron was a tall, strutting Quidditch player, with a girl on his arm and a certain disregard for convention. I got a lot of James Potter vibes from Ron in this one.
Actually it was interesting that this was somewhat forshadowed by Harry's thoughts in OOTP about Ron reminding him of James. I think that 'playboy' might be a bit of an exaggeration but he must have had something going for him (in a guy way) if a 'girly girl' like Lavender was interested. Could this in some way be Ron's version of Hermione's GOF cinderella moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotionA
Ah yes. We never think of the Grangers all that much do we?
Actually I've got this sneaking suspicion that we may see something more of Drs Granger in book seven. Given they're Muggles and Her friendship with Harry, not to mention her relationship with the blood traitor Ron, they could be seen as a soft target to get at Harry and his group. It could be interesting if the Grangers had to spend some time with the Weasleys for their own protection and how they, and Molly and Arthur, would react to Hermione and Ron.

Quote:
Hmmm. You're right. It's really cute how the studly playboy has always been in love with none other than the class nerd .
But isn't that the way it should be?

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2005, 8:00 pm
Third Year

''From Here to Eternity''.

Ahem.

Ravenclaw Rocks

A hero is the one who does what he can - Romain Rolland It may be necessary to temporarily accept a lesser evil, but one must never label a necessary evil as good - Margaret Mead What does not destroy me, makes me stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old September 28th, 2005, 9:18 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo
Actually I've got this sneaking suspicion that we may see something more of Drs Granger in book seven. Given they're Muggles and Her friendship with Harry, not to mention her relationship with the blood traitor Ron, they could be seen as a soft target to get at Harry and his group. It could be interesting if the Grangers had to spend some time with the Weasleys for their own protection and how they, and Molly and Arthur, would react to Hermione and Ron.
The Grangers spending time with the Weasleys? Hmmm? I wonder if they'll have some marriage talks about their own kids when they get together .

It's interesting how Harry and Hermione, who are both only childs from two different families, fell in love with members of an overly large one .

Dance Pretty
Old September 29th, 2005, 3:43 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Could be interesting at that, I'd be happy just to find out that they'll have children myself.
That would be cool. It just kills me to know she has that epilogue written already. I want to see it sooooo bad!

Quote:
Actually it was interesting that this was somewhat forshadowed by Harry's thoughts in OOTP about Ron reminding him of James. I think that 'playboy' might be a bit of an exaggeration but he must have had something going for him (in a guy way) if a 'girly girl' like Lavender was interested. Could this in some way be Ron's version of Hermione's GOF cinderella moment?
Playboy is a huge exaggeration for Ron. He doesn't have enough confidence in himself to have a different girl every night. He couldn't figure out how to break up with Lavender. I can't see him having "one night stands".

I definitely think Ron is more attractive than Harry describes him. I think Ron is more like Bill. Just because he's tall and gangly doesn't mean he isn't attractive. Lavender was attracted to him and she's supposed to be one of the prettiest girls in their year, right?

Quote:
I would love to see more of the Grangers but I don't think we're going to. JKR said that she made a choice. She chose to focus on the Weasleys as the center family of the story. The Grangers don't have anything to contribute so they are left out. It would be nice if she changed that for book 7 though - at least for the epilogue. Maybe a scene at the end where Hermione introduces Ron to her parents as her boyfriend.

Quote:
But isn't that the way it should be?
I absolutely love how JKR is stressing the point that looks aren't important. It's what is inside that counts.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old September 29th, 2005, 5:23 am
Banned

With all this talk about the Grangers it does make me wonder quite a bit about what their role is all about. I mean the lack of their involvement of it all kinda hurts Hermione as a character because it kinda makes her a bit unreal at time. What seems to bug me most is:
  1. What are the Grangers' reactions to Hermione's adventures? Surely they must be concerned even if the very idea of the magical world being slightly dangerous, the situations that Hermione gets into with the boys are more dangerous by wizarding world standards.
  2. What are they're reactions to her leaving them during the middle of the holidays (summer and winter) for some of the years? I mean it seems a bit crass of her to say "Sorry mom and dad, time to jet and meet Ron and Harry". I guess in someway because they allow her to go to school for the rest of the year it makes sense they would give her such independence also considering that Hermione is an only child, they would want her to be happy with her friends. But what about spending as much time with her?

It doesn't bug me that it totally ruins the character, but sometimes when you sit down and think....it does bring up some peculiar questions.

Old September 29th, 2005, 5:34 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Playboy is a huge exaggeration for Ron. He doesn't have enough confidence in himself to have a different girl every night. He couldn't figure out how to break up with Lavender. I can't see him having "one night stands".

I definitely think Ron is more attractive than Harry describes him. I think Ron is more like Bill. Just because he's tall and gangly doesn't mean he isn't attractive. Lavender was attracted to him and she's supposed to be one of the prettiest girls in their year, right?

I don't think he has a different girl every night (could you imagine the reaction if Jo had written that?? ), but I DO think he's quite pleasure-driven...he likes having a good time. Everyone does, but he's the one who really seems to embrace laughter and fooling around (not necessarily THAT kind of fooling around, but apparently he likes that too) and sneaking in firewhiskey, loves to eat, loves having fun with people, loves being a bit naughty...he savors things and revels in them...so in that sense, I get a playboyish quality from him. I guess a slightly different definition than the one you are using.

But I also agree that Ron is probably more attractive than Harry describes. I also wonder if Ron is more popular and more in the center of attention than he realizes. There always seems to be a crowd of people, sometimes crowds of girls, watching him, giggling at him, being shocked by him...a part of this is because Ron is the most extroverted, but it was an interesting theme that I kept picking up on. I think its interesting that in the GoF movie, there's a crowd of people surrounding Ron after his disasterous attempt at asking Fleur out. Of course, these may all be Ginny's friends, but its an interesting choice by the screenwriter and/or director. I keep thinking, "Ron could probably ask any one of those girls to the dance". I got the feeling from the book as well. Ron really didn't ask anyone at all to the dance except Fleur. But I think this is another case where Ron limits himself. If he wanted to, I'm sure there would be a number of girls who would go out with him.

Old September 29th, 2005, 6:21 am

Quote:
I don't think he has a different girl every night (could you imagine the reaction if Jo had written that?? ), but I DO think he's quite pleasure-driven...he likes having a good time. Everyone does, but he's the one who really seems to embrace laughter and fooling around (not necessarily THAT kind of fooling around, but apparently he likes that too) and sneaking in firewhiskey, loves to eat, loves having fun with people, loves being a bit naughty...he savors things and revels in them...so in that sense, I get a playboyish quality from him. I guess a slightly different definition than the one you are using.
We were talking about fanfictions that portray Ron as a "playboy" - confident, sure of himself, dating all kinds of girls - that kind of thing. It just isn't Ron's character.

I agree that in terms of having a good time in general - food, fun, etc... that would fit Ron. He is definitely the more outgoing of the three. But when it comes to girls - not gonna happen.

Quote:
But I also agree that Ron is probably more attractive than Harry describes. I also wonder if Ron is more popular and more in the center of attention than he realizes. There always seems to be a crowd of people, sometimes crowds of girls, watching him, giggling at him, being shocked by him...a part of this is because Ron is the most extroverted, but it was an interesting theme that I kept picking up on. I think its interesting that in the GoF movie, there's a crowd of people surrounding Ron after his disasterous attempt at asking Fleur out. Of course, these may all be Ginny's friends, but its an interesting choice by the screenwriter and/or director. I keep thinking, "Ron could probably ask any one of those girls to the dance". I got the feeling from the book as well. Ron really didn't ask anyone at all to the dance except Fleur. But I think this is another case where Ron limits himself. If he wanted to, I'm sure there would be a number of girls who would go out with him.
I agree with that too. Ron didn't put much effort into finding a date for the ball because he didn't believe anyone would want to go with him. If he had had a little more confidence in himself, I think he could have found a date easily.

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old September 29th, 2005, 6:34 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
We were talking about fanfictions that portray Ron as a "playboy" - confident, sure of himself, dating all kinds of girls - that kind of thing. It just isn't Ron's character.
Yeah...I guess I was just taking off on that theme, because I could see maybe where they got that idea from...definately right now he's not that type of person, but in the future I could see him becoming like that...although I don't think he would. Does that make sense? Like I see the potential in his character, but he loves Hermione too much.

Old September 29th, 2005, 7:00 am

Quote:
Yeah...I guess I was just taking off on that theme, because I could see maybe where they got that idea from...definately right now he's not that type of person, but in the future I could see him becoming like that...although I don't think he would. Does that make sense? Like I see the potential in his character, but he loves Hermione too much.
I could see that - in the future. If he weren't already in love with Hermione, that would be a possibility for him when he's older. I think Ron is a little old fashioned in that sense though. Once he gets it through his head that he is good enough for Hermione, there won't be anyone else for him.

Old September 29th, 2005, 9:16 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
True true. We've demonstrated how disastrous it's going to be if Harry describes Ron's real appearance, right?

Quote:
That's exactly how I think of Ron. He's a playboy in the sense that he's the only one within the Trio who enjoys life to the fullest. But his not all that fortunate in the dating scenario because he has feelings for Hermione. He just needs someone to ruffle up his hair once in a while to let loose and Harry isn't exactly the person who would do that for him. Maybe Ron would've loosened up a lot more if he was closer with Dean and Seamus. And the twins do nothing to boost up his self esteem with their jokes.

Dance Pretty

Last edited by PotionA; September 29th, 2005 at 9:19 pm.
Old September 29th, 2005, 9:34 pm

Quote:
True true. We've demonstrated how disastrous it's going to be if Harry describes Ron's real appearance, right?
Yes, we did. As funny as it was on that thread, I really don't want that to end up in the books.

Quote:
That's exactly how I think of Ron. He's a playboy in the sense that he's the only one within the Trio who enjoys life to the fullest. But his not all that fortunate in the dating scenario because he has feelings for Hermione. He just needs someone to ruffle up his hair once in a while to let loose and Harry isn't exactly the person who would do that for him. Maybe Ron would've loosened up a lot more if he was closer with Dean and Seamus. And the twins do nothing to boost up his self esteem with their jokes.
I don't think Harry is holding him back as much as the circumstances. None of them really get a chance to let loose. I'd like to see that in the next book. They're going to the wedding and that's supposed to be a "golden day". It would be cool if they let loose and enjoyed that day to the fullest.

Old September 29th, 2005, 11:32 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
I don't think Harry is holding him back as much as the circumstances. None of them really get a chance to let loose. I'd like to see that in the next book. They're going to the wedding and that's supposed to be a "golden day". It would be cool if they let loose and enjoyed that day to the fullest.
Harry doesn't do anything to lift up his confidence either. They don't exactly talk about girls all that much. Dean and Seamus seem the type who have those locker room conversations all the time.

And yeah the wedding can give JKR an opportunity to show the more youthful side of Ron and Harry where they can consume mad amounts of Firewhiskey and have a talk about how much they love their women .

Dance Pretty
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:11 am
Student

Quote:
The Grangers spending time with the Weasleys? Hmmm? I wonder if they'll have some marriage talks about their own kids when they get together .
Well the discussions could be interesting, I can just see Arthur hounding then for all sorts of trivial details.

Quote:
It's interesting how Harry and Hermione, who are both only childs from two different families, fell in love with members of an overly large one .
Well in Harry's case with his desire for family, seen right back from PS and the mirror, it's quite understandable and that's one of the reasons I'd like to see something of the Grangers too. Given Hermione's prominent role in the story her almost total lack of family background is a bit disconcerting.

It doesn't have to be a huge story on it's own but some form of interraction would be good, as things stand now she appears to be almost as much an orphan as Harry.

Quote:
That would be cool. It just kills me to know she has that epilogue written already. I want to see it sooooo bad!
Like I said earlier I'm a bit ambivolent about it. On one side I'd love nothing better than to be sitting down with book seven yet I'll be sorry to be reading it's last page too.

Quote:
Nor could I.

Quote:
That's about the size of it. (Though I'm probably not the most qualified one around here to be discussing Ron's relative attraction to the opposite sex do don't tell anyone I said this )

Quote:
I would love to see more of the Grangers but I don't think we're going to. JKR said that she made a choice. She chose to focus on the Weasleys as the center family of the story. The Grangers don't have anything to contribute so they are left out. It would be nice if she changed that for book 7 though - at least for the epilogue. Maybe a scene at the end where Hermione introduces Ron to her parents as her boyfriend.
Oh as I said to Potiona I don't expect any focus on them as a family but some exposition would be nice, as it stands right now Hermione seems so distanced from her family she almost seems like an orphan. It'd be nice to get some reading on how her family relates, even just a page or two.

Still, your scenario would be nice to read.

Quote:
I absolutely love how JKR is stressing the point that looks aren't important. It's what is inside that counts.
Oh definately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorridgeBoy
With all this talk about the Grangers it does make me wonder quite a bit about what their role is all about. I mean the lack of their involvement of it all kinda hurts Hermione as a character because it kinda makes her a bit unreal at time. What seems to bug me most is:
  1. What are the Grangers' reactions to Hermione's adventures? Surely they must be concerned even if the very idea of the magical world being slightly dangerous, the situations that Hermione gets into with the boys are more dangerous by wizarding world standards.
  2. What are they're reactions to her leaving them during the middle of the holidays (summer and winter) for some of the years? I mean it seems a bit crass of her to say "Sorry mom and dad, time to jet and meet Ron and Harry". I guess in someway because they allow her to go to school for the rest of the year it makes sense they would give her such independence also considering that Hermione is an only child, they would want her to be happy with her friends. But what about spending as much time with her?

It doesn't bug me that it totally ruins the character, but sometimes when you sit down and think....it does bring up some peculiar questions.
That's it exactly, by their almost total absence we're missing a small but crucial element of Hermione's character.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, we did. As funny as it was on that thread, I really don't want that to end up in the books.
Do I want to know?

But seriously, guys tend not to think about other guys appearance in that manner and being as the books are being written from Harry's perspective we do tend to get something of an altered perception of characters and their appearances. In that aspect I think the films have done a pretty good job with the characters and their looks, I think there are some times that Harry's viewpoint tends to exaggerate certain aspects of appearance both positive and negative.

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping to read.

Frankly in dire times like these the inclination to 'cut loose' at such an event would probably be stronger than usual anyway, kind of a 'tonight we party for tomorrow we might die' mentality. I'm just hoping that the wedding really does provide that golden day.

Old September 30th, 2005, 1:04 am

Quote:
Harry doesn't do anything to lift up his confidence either. They don't exactly talk about girls all that much. Dean and Seamus seem the type who have those locker room conversations all the time.
Harry does try to boost his confidence up in general - playing Quidditch, etc... But they don't talk about girls. Although, neither of them do that and neither of them is very confident with girls - Harry is probably a little more confident than Ron. Basically, when it comes to girls, it would be the blind leading the blind.

Quote:
And yeah the wedding can give JKR an opportunity to show the more youthful side of Ron and Harry where they can consume mad amounts of Firewhiskey and have a talk about how much they love their women .
Love it! That's how it's gonna happen. Ron's gonna indulge a little too much at the wedding and tell Harry that he loves Hermione and she will overhear him. Case solved.

Quote:
Like I said earlier I'm a bit ambivolent about it. On one side I'd love nothing better than to be sitting down with book seven yet I'll be sorry to be reading it's last page too.
My desire to know what happens outweighs my yearning to drag out the suspense. I'm one of those annoying people who actually like spoilers.

Quote:
That's about the size of it. (Though I'm probably not the most qualified one around here to be discussing Ron's relative attraction to the opposite sex do don't tell anyone I said this )
My lips are sealed.

Quote:
Oh as I said to Potiona I don't expect any focus on them as a family but some exposition would be nice, as it stands right now Hermione seems so distanced from her family she almost seems like an orphan. It'd be nice to get some reading on how her family relates, even just a page or two.

Still, your scenario would be nice to read.

Oh definately.

That's it exactly, by their almost total absence we're missing a small but crucial element of Hermione's character.
I would love to find out more about the Grangers as well. They seem to be almost non-entities right now. I understand it's a necessity for the storyline but Hermione spends very little time with her parents overall. She spent the last two summers with the Weasleys - the majority of them anyway. She spent Christmas in OOTP with the Weasleys. She did go to her parents for Christmas in HBP though. So, in the last two years, she has spent a grand total of six weeks with her parents - estimating of course. My parents would have hunted me down and dragged me home.

Quote:
Do I want to know?
You might find it funny. You can check on the thread here. Do girls find Ron attractive? - specifically posts #29, 33, 35, and 36. We had a little fun.

Quote:
But seriously, guys tend not to think about other guys appearance in that manner and being as the books are being written from Harry's perspective we do tend to get something of an altered perception of characters and their appearances. In that aspect I think the films have done a pretty good job with the characters and their looks, I think there are some times that Harry's viewpoint tends to exaggerate certain aspects of appearance both positive and negative.
That's what I think. Harry doesn't describe either Ron or Hermione in a flattering light. Ron is tall and gangly with flaming red hair and Hermione has bushy hair. Come to think of it, that's the only feature he's ever described about Hermione other than her teeth, which were fixed in GOF. He's a little more flattering in his descriptions of Ginny.

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping to read.

Frankly in dire times like these the inclination to 'cut loose' at such an event would probably be stronger than usual anyway, kind of a 'tonight we party for tomorrow we might die' mentality. I'm just hoping that the wedding really does provide that golden day.
Absolutely. I want them to have some fun before they go off to face life and death situations.

Old September 30th, 2005, 10:55 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Harry does try to boost his confidence up in general - playing Quidditch, etc... But they don't talk about girls. Although, neither of them do that and neither of them is very confident with girls - Harry is probably a little more confident than Ron. Basically, when it comes to girls, it would be the blind leading the blind.
. You're right though. I guess the reason why Ron doesn't talk to Harry is because they're best friends and it would make things totally uncomfortable for everyone. And Harry would eat a raw Blast Ended than consider talking to Ron about Ginny. But did Ron have a talk with Harry about Lav-Lav at all? I haven't done my HBP re read yet and what I do remember is that Lav-Lav used to engage Harry into deep conversations about her relationship with Ron.

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a huge story on it's own but some form of interraction would be good, as things stand now she appears to be almost as much an orphan as Harry.
I agree. It's almost unreal that Hermione spent so little time with her parents since she joined Hogwarts. A bit of background info on the Grangers wouldn't kill the books. I'm guessing an attack on the Grangers could take place and then the Trio comes to the rescue and puts them away at the Burrow.

Quote:
But seriously, guys tend not to think about other guys appearance in that manner
And we are ever so grateful that they don't, otherwise I shudder to think as to what will happen to the human race if they did .

Dance Pretty
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:47 am

Quote:
. You're right though. I guess the reason why Ron doesn't talk to Harry is because they're best friends and it would make things totally uncomfortable for everyone. And Harry would eat a raw Blast Ended than consider talking to Ron about Ginny. But did Ron have a talk with Harry about Lav-Lav at all? I haven't done my HBP re read yet and what I do remember is that Lav-Lav used to engage Harry into deep conversations about her relationship with Ron.
Off the top of my head, Harry and Ron had three short conversations about Lavender. One at Christmas after her not so wonderful Christmas present, in which Ron admitted all they did was snog. One while Ron was in the hospital wing, in which Harry told him to stop pretending to be asleep when she visited because she was driving him crazy. The last when Ron let "I love you Hermione" slip out and Harry suggested he just ditch her. The last was probably the most in-depth conversation they had.

I can understand why Ron wouldn't talk to Harry about Hermione though. The three of them are best friends so it would probably be a little awkward. And you're right, Harry would definitely rather face a blast-ended skrewt rather than talk to Ron about Ginny. Come to think of it, Ron would probably prefer the skrewt over Harry talking to him about Ginny too.

Quote:
I agree. It's almost unreal that Hermione spent so little time with her parents since she joined Hogwarts. A bit of background info on the Grangers wouldn't kill the books. I'm guessing an attack on the Grangers could take place and then the Trio comes to the rescue and puts them away at the Burrow.
Just a little something would be nice - even if it is just an explanation of what she tells her parents to get them to let her spend so much time away from home. I think she has spent a grand total of six weeks with her parents in the last two years.

Quote:
And we are ever so grateful that they don't, otherwise I shudder to think as to what will happen to the human race if they did .
Cloning would probably become a necessity.

Old October 1st, 2005, 12:27 am
Student

Quote:
Harry does try to boost his confidence up in general - playing Quidditch, etc... But they don't talk about girls.
In that their situations are a bit unusual, I don't think it's so much that they don't want to 'talk the locker room talk' so much as their current interests have relationships to the other that sort of procludes that kind of discussion between them. When they've shown other interests neither has been that reluctant to talk about it (See the post mistletoe conversation in OOTP and Harry's advice to Ron about Lavender in HBP) but Ron would be reluctant to talk about Hermione with Harry because she's his friend too and Ron would be the last person that Harry would want to discuss Ginny with in that way .

Quote:
Although, neither of them do that and neither of them is very confident with girls - Harry is probably a little more confident than Ron. Basically, when it comes to girls, it would be the blind leading the blind.
Pre HBP that'd be a fair assesment, now while Ron has a little catching up to do, and again this boils down to a confidence issue between the two of them (Ron and Hermione that is), they're almost on a level.

I'd say as of the end of HBP we're looking at four young adults ready to face the world.

Quote:
Love it! That's how it's gonna happen. Ron's gonna indulge a little too much at the wedding and tell Harry that he loves Hermione and she will overhear him. Case solved.
I hope it's a bit more involved than that. I kind of favour the 'blazing row with a frank admission in full view of everyone' scenario myself.

Quote:
I would love to find out more about the Grangers as well. They seem to be almost non-entities right now. I understand it's a necessity for the storyline but Hermione spends very little time with her parents overall. She spent the last two summers with the Weasleys - the majority of them anyway. She spent Christmas in OOTP with the Weasleys. She did go to her parents for Christmas in HBP though. So, in the last two years, she has spent a grand total of six weeks with her parents - estimating of course. My parents would have hunted me down and dragged me home.
That's it exactly, while I doubt they'd have a huge plot impact we do need something of them just to fill out Hermione's character. As it stands right now it almost seems their prescence, or lack of, makes it seem that they're almost indifferant toward her which is something I have a hard time accepting.

Quote:
That's what I think. Harry doesn't describe either Ron or Hermione in a flattering light. Ron is tall and gangly with flaming red hair and Hermione has bushy hair. Come to think of it, that's the only feature he's ever described about Hermione other than her teeth, which were fixed in GOF.
I figure he's pretty neutral on appearance when it comes to friends, they tend to get the 'few distinguishing features' description and beyond that they're just defined as themselves.

Quote:
He's a little more flattering in his descriptions of Ginny.
Indeed, his descriptions of Cho pre their breakup and of Fleur before he got to know her better were flattering as well. It isn't that he doesn't notice appearances more than they become less important when he gets to know someone for themselves.

Quote:
. You're right though. I guess the reason why Ron doesn't talk to Harry is because they're best friends and it would make things totally uncomfortable for everyone. And Harry would eat a raw Blast Ended than consider talking to Ron about Ginny.
That's what I was saying to Meesha above, while they're probably not worried about discussing such matters in the way that guys do (locker room talk) they're unlikely to want to discuss Hermione or Ginny because of what each means to the other.

Quote:
But did Ron have a talk with Harry about Lav-Lav at all? I haven't done my HBP re read yet and what I do remember is that Lav-Lav used to engage Harry into deep conversations about her relationship with Ron.
They had short discussions, nothing too involved.

Quote:
That'd make for an interesting scenario, I hope that Jo has some small element of the Grangers in book seven.

Quote:
Off the top of my head, Harry and Ron had three short conversations about Lavender. One at Christmas after her not so wonderful Christmas present, in which Ron admitted all they did was snog. One while Ron was in the hospital wing, in which Harry told him to stop pretending to be asleep when she visited because she was driving him crazy. The last when Ron let "I love you Hermione" slip out and Harry suggested he just ditch her. The last was probably the most in-depth conversation they had.
Yup, I can assure you that's about as in depth as it gets when guys discuss relationships.

Quote:
I can understand why Ron wouldn't talk to Harry about Hermione though. The three of them are best friends so it would probably be a little awkward. And you're right, Harry would definitely rather face a blast-ended skrewt rather than talk to Ron about Ginny. Come to think of it, Ron would probably prefer the skrewt over Harry talking to him about Ginny too.
I recall a line in a fanfic when Harry was reading one of Ginny's valentine cards, Ron wanted to see it and Harry says something like 'You don't need to think these thoughts about your baby sister.', needless to say it was a 'mature rated' story.

Quote:
Just a little something would be nice - even if it is just an explanation of what she tells her parents to get them to let her spend so much time away from home. I think she has spent a grand total of six weeks with her parents in the last two years.
Might be worth a submission to Jo's website. I doubt the Grangers are going to feature heavily in the main plot so it's something Jo could address fairley easily.

Old October 1st, 2005, 12:53 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
In that their situations are a bit unusual, I don't think it's so much that they don't want to 'talk the locker room talk' so much as their current interests have relationships to the other that sort of procludes that kind of discussion between them. When they've shown other interests neither has been that reluctant to talk about it (See the post mistletoe conversation in OOTP and Harry's advice to Ron about Lavender in HBP) but Ron would be reluctant to talk about Hermione with Harry because she's his friend too and Ron would be the last person that Harry would want to discuss Ginny with in that way .
I agree. But their locker room talk was no where to be found when they had their little flings. It took a great deal of effort from Harry's part just to tell Ron and Hermione that he had one kiss with Cho. And I was slighty surprised by Ron's reaction when he looked alarmed or something when Harry said that he patted Cho on the back. I guess those two are not meant to have locker room conversations at all, unless Ron decides to have another go with Lav-Lav, or worse Romilda Vane. *gasp*

Dance Pretty
Old October 1st, 2005, 2:50 am

Quote:
Yeah, I think that's a big part of it. Harry didn't really want to talk about Cho with Ron though. I don't know if he would have talked about the kiss if Hermione hadn't dragged it out of him. He may have discussed it with Ron later though. They don't talk much about Lavender either. I really think that, with Ron, he doesn't approach the subject because he likes Hermione and Hermione is their friend. And Harry avoids discussing Ginny with Ron, which is understandable.

Quote:
Pre HBP that'd be a fair assesment, now while Ron has a little catching up to do, and again this boils down to a confidence issue between the two of them (Ron and Hermione that is), they're almost on a level.
I still think they have a little further to go in understanding girls. But I agree, they both made tremendous progress in HBP.

Quote:
I'd say as of the end of HBP we're looking at four young adults ready to face the world.
Absolutely. They still have a bit of growing up to do but I think they're ready for the task they have set upon themselves.

Quote:
I hope it's a bit more involved than that. I kind of favour the 'blazing row with a frank admission in full view of everyone' scenario myself.
Same here. I was being sarcastic. It just seems rather fitting for Ron's admission to come in the middle of one of their rows - "because I love you, all right!"

Quote:
That's it exactly, while I doubt they'd have a huge plot impact we do need something of them just to fill out Hermione's character. As it stands right now it almost seems their prescence, or lack of, makes it seem that they're almost indifferant toward her which is something I have a hard time accepting.
Maybe Ron and Harry will accompany her to her house before they go to the Dursleys? That could be interesting - particularly if Ron and Hermione are dating.

Quote:
I figure he's pretty neutral on appearance when it comes to friends, they tend to get the 'few distinguishing features' description and beyond that they're just defined as themselves.

Indeed, his descriptions of Cho pre their breakup and of Fleur before he got to know her better were flattering as well. It isn't that he doesn't notice appearances more than they become less important when he gets to know someone for themselves.
I agree. Harry is more flattering with his descriptions of certain girls but with his friends he just points out certain noticable characteristics.

Quote:
That's what I was saying to Meesha above, while they're probably not worried about discussing such matters in the way that guys do (locker room talk) they're unlikely to want to discuss Hermione or Ginny because of what each means to the other.
Exactly. Ron doesn't want to participate in a discussion like that involving his baby sister. Although, I can picture them eventually having a discussion about Hermione - nothing too involved of course since she is pretty much Harry's "surrogate sister" but I can see them discussing it at some point.

Quote:
Yup, I can assure you that's about as in depth as it gets when guys discuss relationships.
That doesn't exactly come as a surprise.

Quote:
I recall a line in a fanfic when Harry was reading one of Ginny's valentine cards, Ron wanted to see it and Harry says something like 'You don't need to think these thoughts about your baby sister.', needless to say it was a 'mature rated' story.
That sounds like a good one! You'll have to send me the site.

Quote:
Might be worth a submission to Jo's website. I doubt the Grangers are going to feature heavily in the main plot so it's something Jo could address fairley easily.
I think she should put a "biography" section on her site and give all the information about all the characters - physical descriptions, important dates, general history - that type of thing. It would certainly add to the enjoyment of the books.

Old October 1st, 2005, 2:58 am
Banned

Well I know from one of the interviews JKR made the Grangers very plain and unobtrusive with the whole storyline. So therefore the Weasleys were basically the "family of the friend" that was concentrated upon. I don't know really what to think about the Grangers. I feel in order to keep the book fairly competent it's quite too late to actually introduce them as significant or as part of the storyline unless it's going to be some dues ex machine suprise that'll pretty much come off as totally lame.

But seriously the more I think about it, the less Hermione is of a character because of the total lack of her parents. Like I said before, it seems awfully convinient for Hermione to be with Ron and Harry with the holidays as well engaging in dangerous situations without her parents giving a lick of concern, unless Hermione glosses over her adventures during the summer. I just hope an explanation for that doesn't turn out to be extremely lame.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies