Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Ollivander and Fortescue - Their use for Voldemort

Old October 15th, 2005, 8:41 am
First Year

Quote:
I guess its possible that Florean might have known about the horcruxes, but he seems like a rather marginal character to know something big like that. Clearly, though, he knows something.
I didn't say, that Fortescue actually knows about the Horcruxes, but he is good at history, so he could know about any relics, the founders might have devised.

Quote:
But I, too, think that Ollivander has left voluntarily and went into hiding in order to avoid that Death Eaters can buy more of his wands. He is very fond of them, and the way he talked to Harry when he bought his wand, suggests that he would rather not have sold the wand to Voldemort in the first place if he had known what this wand was being used for.
Well, I think Ollivander can be compared to some kind of strange scientist. He is a very scary kind of person, and Harry says "Harry shivered. He wasn't sure he liked Mr. Ollivander too much.".
Ollivander says:"After all, He-
Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things -- terrible, yes, but great.
"

And that's something Harry can't deal with. As I said, Ollivander looks like a scientist, who doesn't think about the good and evil too much, but about the power and the fascination of his wands.

But, after all, I still don't think, that Ollivander was kidnapped by the Death Eaters.

Just...
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2005, 8:43 am
Fourth Year

Well, LV can use Ollivander's knowledge of wands for his advantage and he can use Fortescue for, well, everyone has a sweet tooth, even LV...

Aboard the HMS Lockeddoor and the HMS Germany ... Figure those out, I'll give you $1,000...

My headmaster has a first name, it's A-L-B-U-S, my headmaster has a middle name, it's P-E-R-C-I-V-A-L, my headmaster has a second middle name, it's W-U-L-F-R-I-C, my headmaster has a third middle name, it's B-R-I- oh forget it, jeez get a shorter name headmaster....
Old October 15th, 2005, 9:13 am
First Year

But Ollivander said, that there is only one wand, that perfectly fits to you.

Just...
Old October 15th, 2005, 9:15 am
Fourth Year

I said his knowledge of wands could help, not only LV, who already has a wand, but all the Death Eaters... And wands do need to be replaced from time to time(see Ron in CoS and Neville in OotP)...

Aboard the HMS Lockeddoor and the HMS Germany ... Figure those out, I'll give you $1,000...

My headmaster has a first name, it's A-L-B-U-S, my headmaster has a middle name, it's P-E-R-C-I-V-A-L, my headmaster has a second middle name, it's W-U-L-F-R-I-C, my headmaster has a third middle name, it's B-R-I- oh forget it, jeez get a shorter name headmaster....
Old October 15th, 2005, 9:25 am
First Year

Yeah, I was thinking about the Priori Incantatem-Thing.
Everybody says, that LV wants a wand without a phoenixfeather, but as I said before, according to Ollivander, there's only ONE wand, that perfectly fits to you.

Just...
Old October 15th, 2005, 9:26 am
Fourth Year

Well I am sure he could use a different wand to kill people as a change of pace, even if it doesn't fit him, it will still get the job done...

Old October 15th, 2005, 11:08 am
First Year

Of course, but an ordinary wand will not be enough to kill Harry Potter

Just...
Old October 15th, 2005, 5:49 pm
First Year

I doubt that there is only one wand that perfectly fits you. Ollivander said "the wand chooses the wizard", but he did not say " there`s only one wand in the world you can use to get best results. Wormtail killed Cedric with Voldemort´s wand (GoF), for example.
Why would an "ordinary wand" not suffice to kill Harry? He is a normal wizard, neither particularly powerful compared to Voldemort nor anything else. His strongest power is his ability to love, but he is as vulnerable as anyone else, and cen be killed by any AK performed by any wand like everybody else.

As for the quote, Ollivander also said "I´m sorry to say I sold the wand that did it (meaning Harry´s scar) [...] Powerful wand, very powerful, and in the wrong hands... Well, if I´d known what tht wand was going out into the world to do ..."

IMO that shows he feels sorry and would have preffered never to have sold a wand to Voldemort. For this reason I think Ollivander left voluntarily and wnet into hiding. He simply does not want to sell more wands that end up in the wrong hands of Death Eaters who use them for killing and torturing.

Old October 15th, 2005, 7:23 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephix
I didn't say, that Fortescue actually knows about the Horcruxes, but he is good at history, so he could know about any relics, the founders might have devised.
Sorry, I misread your first post. I agree, his knowledge of history might come in handy for LV, but do we know that he has any particular knowledge of Hogwarts's history? I may be wrong, but I remember him helping Harry with HoM homework about medieval witch burnings. This does not suggest to me that he knows anything in particular about the school founders or Hogwarts history. Though there is a history of witch-burnings throughout the medieval period, the heyday of this was 12th-14th centuries, a couple centuries after the founding of Hogwarts. It's quite possible that you are right, but I don't think we have any concrete evidence to back it up. I think it's more likely that the kidnapping has something to do with the portrait of a Fortescue in the headmaster's office. But your idea is quite possible as well.

As for Olllivander and the wand, I agree with Athene that there is not only one wand that is a perfect fit for the wizard. I don't think that LV is trying to get a new wand. He would be too arrogant to change his wand just to fight Harry Potter.

My RAB theory:The R.A.B. discovered 'The Secret Riddle' theory
For reference:RAB related quotes
Old October 15th, 2005, 11:09 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasleytwin
I agree, his knowledge of history might come in handy for LV, but do we know that he has any particular knowledge of Hogwarts's history? I may be wrong, but I remember him helping Harry with HoM homework about medieval witch burnings. This does not suggest to me that he knows anything in particular about the school founders or Hogwarts history. Though there is a history of witch-burnings throughout the medieval period, the heyday of this was 12th-14th centuries, a couple centuries after the founding of Hogwarts. It's quite possible that you are right, but I don't think we have any concrete evidence to back it up. I think it's more likely that the kidnapping has something to do with the portrait of a Fortescue in the headmaster's office. But your idea is quite possible as well.
I think, Fortescue has plenty of historical knowledge. One of his ancestors was headmaster at Hogwarts, so I suppsoe his family is well educated.
But I do not think that LV needs him to find something out about other relics of founders. He will know from Snape by now that Gryffindor´s sword is in Dumbledore´s office. I am sure, LV still wants to get it and make his final Hrocrux of it.

You could be right with the portrait, but I cannot imagine a concret use of it. The portraits of the dead headmasters are bound to do what the current headmaster asks them to do. You cannot put a portrait under the Imperius curse, can you?

I prefer the idea, that Fortescue knows something about Voldemort´s Horcruces and, LV found that out and wants him out of the way.

Old October 22nd, 2005, 12:14 am
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena
You could be right with the portrait, but I cannot imagine a concret use of it. The portraits of the dead headmasters are bound to do what the current headmaster asks them to do. You cannot put a portrait under the Imperius curse, can you?
Now that Dumbledore's dead and the school may not re-open, the portraits may not have anyone they're supposed to listen to. Maybe that would open the door for the Death Eaters to take advantage of them. The Fortescue in the portrait may be of some use, but I think it would have a lot more backstory than just the ice cream parlor owner and his ancestor. But anything's possible.

Old November 4th, 2005, 5:31 am
Fifth Year

I doubt Ollivander knows much in particular about Harry and V's connection beyond their wands. I double even Dumbledore understood the full implications of their bond (which is why we don't yet). He does know that their wands share the same core, and if "the wand chooses the wizard" there must be something to that.

I'm not sure Voldemort is too worried about getting a new wand. His wand seemed to do just fine at the Ministry showdown. It never says that Harry and Voldemort can't use their wands in a duel. It's just when the two curses hit each other directly that the priori incantatum happens. I doubt V is too worried about this.

I don't really have much of a theory to offer on the disappearances though. Just wanted to point that out . . .

Old November 20th, 2005, 7:48 am
Second Year

Using Olivander to make another wand to kill Harry with seems apropriate. It has been mentioned many times than Olivander is the best, and Voldemort would only want to use the best. Now that he knows Harry would win in a duel involving Priori Incantatum, he needs to get around that.

Also, given wands show a lot about people's skills and temperments, knowing their wands might help tell you who would join you and who would be usefull in a quest for power.

Old November 20th, 2005, 7:59 am
First Year

I think that Ollivander will be shown to be evil, and probably left voluntarily, simply because his name is an anagram for 'An Evil Lord.' Remember, in CoS, an anagram was used to identify Tom Riddle as Voldemort (Tom Marvolo Riddle => I Am Lord Voldemort), and I find it hard to believe that the name Ollivander is cooincidental. Actually, because his name changes to an evil Lord, I think that he will play a significant role in the 7th book. Any thoughts?

Old November 20th, 2005, 8:19 am
Seventh Year

I think one of the most important theme about wands in gneral is that as Ollivander pointed out in book 1 that, "the wand chooses the wizard" and not the other way around.

Either Ollivander and Fortescue have information that could be useful to Voldemort or he plans on using them both in other ways. But what is the significance of Fortescue? I don't think eithe rone of them are dead, atleast not yet.

"Mr. Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business."

"Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git."
"Mr. Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a professor."

"Mr. Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball."
Old November 20th, 2005, 10:56 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiLoFoShoYo
Maybe Voldemort took Fortescue because he likes to eat ice cream while plotting evil deeds.
Oooo, the softer side to the Dark Lord...My oh my. Well, who doesn't like ice-cream?

Harry/Hermione and Draco/Ginny
We're kinda glad they're not Canon.

HarryLovesHermione
DracoAndGinny
PORTKEY.ORG

Old November 20th, 2005, 11:22 pm
Second Year

We should not forget though, that many witches and wizards disappeared, and that only those are mentioned that were known to the trio.
So while I'm convinced that we won't have heard the last word of Ollivander, Fortescue probably just was one of those victims Harry knew without further significance. Wie can't be sure of course, but it's a possibility.

Old November 21st, 2005, 12:44 am
Second Year

Ephix, your English is excellent!

Regarding Ollivanders disapearance I always assumed that he was taken by the DE to make LV a new wand, because he'll need one to be able to fight Harry properly.

What Fortescues story is I have no idea, but your theory about his immense knowledge of history, and possibly, about the founders of Hogwarts sounds interesting, you might be on to something.

Old November 21st, 2005, 1:33 am
Squee-worthy

Wow Ephix..i never thought of the facts that you brought up those are really good points...especially about Fortescue...i thought the reason Voldemort took them was to deprive the world of their presence...but why would Voldemort care about an ice cream man...your theory makes perfect sense...good eye!

Old November 21st, 2005, 2:47 am
Third Year

Him taking Ollivander makes sense though. He wants him to fashion an extra-ordinary wand because his won't work on Harry's....interesting...

Harry/Hermione and Draco/Ginny
We're kinda glad they're not Canon.

HarryLovesHermione
DracoAndGinny
PORTKEY.ORG

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies