Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Ollivander and Fortescue - Their use for Voldemort

Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:56 pm
First Year

Re: Ollivander and Fortescue - Their use for Voldemort

I think that ollivander went to the dark side willingly to do what i dont know but ever since he said ("I think it is clear that we can expect great things from you, Mr. Potter! However, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things. Terrible! Yes... but great.") hes creeped me out.

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2006, 2:15 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

I think Ollivander left voluntarily or after little pressure. What makes me think so is his line from FS "After all, He Who Must Not Be Named did great things... Terrible, yes, but great." I think he was tempted and joined Voldemort willingly.

Old April 4th, 2006, 2:27 pm
First Year

You know...I've thought a lot about this one and I was taking the W.O.M.B.A.T test on JKR's site I noticed something interesting. On question #9, one of the answer choices is "The ban on goblin possession of wands (ought to be lifted)." Could Voldemort have captured Ollivander so he can get wands made for the goblins? Remember back to OotP when Lupin says, "It depends what they're offered," said Lupin. "And I'm not talking about gold; if they're offered freedoms we've been denying them for centuries they're going to be tempted." This discussion is of course about whether or not the goblins would side with Voldemort. Although I like the idea of Voldemort capturing Ollivander so he can get a new wand, these seemingly subtle clues make me wonder...is Voldemort getting wands for the goblins?

Old April 5th, 2006, 4:45 pm
First Year

Hmm, that is a good theory jlfran14!

I think that Olivander and Fortescue left voluntarily. Remember when Slughorn wrecked his house when Dumbledore was coming? It looked like a struggle. Maybe that is what Fortescue did.

I don't think that Fortescue's ancestor (the one in the portrait) could be spying on Dumbledore for Voldemort though. The other portraits said that they are honor-bound in helping the headmaster of Hogwarts. Otherwise, it would be very easy for someone to spy on him.

Old April 8th, 2006, 9:08 am
First Year

I always held on to the theory that Ollivander knew he had the knowledge that may aid the Deatheaters if they were to get a hold of him. He knows every wand he has ever sold, incriminating the weakness of each who holds one of his wands. He is just as old (if not a little younger) than Dumbledore, and taking a clue from him, there is a vast multitude of knowledge that lay in his lifetime. The fall of the other dark lord, upon other events that lead to the arrival of Voldemort.

I always thought that since Ollivander knew every wand's strong points, he could easily know their weakness, but alas never told anyone. A secret like that could be lethal. So, I think that he ran away or the Deatheaters got him.

Wicked-Wizards.com: Harry Potter Editorials
Old June 16th, 2006, 4:50 pm
Second Year

I think Ollivander is a bit of a fascinating character. Since the first book, it's been hard to place him on a specific side- especially after his comment about Voldemort's "greatness". The fact that he's so spooky has always made me want to place him firmly in the "evil" category, but that doesn't really seem possible, given his lack of action. The few times that we've seen him since, he's been at events such as the weighing of the wands in GoF, and so incapable of really showing a whole lot of character.
Now in the HBP he's disappeared (note the lack of expressiveness in that word-JK could've told us that he had been taken, or had locked up his shop and left, either one indicating that he had taken or been forced to take, a side), and I think that it's surprising that so few people are really interested in his disappearance. Considering the things that he seems to be capable of given his knowledge of wands, he would be priceless to either side's cause. Anybody have any clues that he's been taken by a specific side? Is he hiding or has he joined Voldy? Or was he forced in a direction?
And btw, does anybody know how old he is? I don't have my book with me.

Old June 17th, 2006, 11:23 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwrm988
I think Ollivander is a bit of a fascinating character. Since the first book, it's been hard to place him on a specific side- especially after his comment about Voldemort's "greatness". The fact that he's so spooky has always made me want to place him firmly in the "evil" category, but that doesn't really seem possible, given his lack of action. The few times that we've seen him since, he's been at events such as the weighing of the wands in GoF, and so incapable of really showing a whole lot of character.
Interesting. That is, come to think about it a bit like how Harry sees Sluggy, reserving judgment. Though I would think that he has a quiet talent and therefore he comes off creepy.

But I think that he (hopefully) would rather die than help Voldemort. Most probably, something to do with the wands.

Old June 17th, 2006, 2:03 pm
Third Year

Yes, I think Olliviander could be used for creating wands for those wizards who have escaped from Azkaban and need new wands. Keeping Olliviander would make it difficult for wizards on the side of 'good' to be able to buy a new wand if needed, making it a lot easier for Death Eaters and let them have the upper hand.
As for Fortescue, apart from having a really nice sounding name, I'm not really sure why they'd have a use for him, except to sell the Death Eaters ice cream. Maybe Voldermort has a sweet tooth.

Old June 17th, 2006, 5:32 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateGirl
As for Fortescue, apart from having a really nice sounding name, I'm not really sure why they'd have a use for him, except to sell the Death Eaters ice cream. Maybe Voldermort has a sweet tooth.
lol good call. The only thing that I can think of that Fortescue would be useful for is his knowledge-wasn't it Goblins that he was talking to Harry about? Maybe he's been kidnapped to help negotiate with the goblins for one for one of the sides...

Old June 17th, 2006, 8:33 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwrm988
lol good call. The only thing that I can think of that Fortescue would be useful for is his knowledge-wasn't it Goblins that he was talking to Harry about? Maybe he's been kidnapped to help negotiate with the goblins for one for one of the sides...
Ah, I think that it is History of Magic in general. Didn't he help Harry with the weird witch that purposely got caught in the witchhunts.

Old June 18th, 2006, 4:42 am
Second Year

Fortescue has an ice cream shop right? Well even villains need some treats now and again. I imagine Lucious and Bella have sweet tooths.

Old July 24th, 2006, 9:22 pm
First Year

Fortescue and Ollivander: Their roles in the final book

Ok sorry about that, I thought it was a repeat thread but now I'm not so sure, this guy below me posted one that looks like it is but the link doesn't work for me and when I try to search for it nothing comes up so I'm going to keep going with this thread until I get further information.

Ollivander and Fortescue mysteriously disappear in HBP and Rowling seems to make it seem like a fairly significant event. Where have they gone and why have they disappeared? I kept forgetting this event because you forget all about their disappearance by the end of the book because they're only mentioned in the beginning. There is a big deal made out of it at the beginning however, making you question what it could mean for the future book. There are some fairly obvious reasons for the kidnapping of Ollivander but why a mere Ice Cream shop owner? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Here are my thoughts on the subject:

Ollivander: He is the best wandmaker in the business. It seems that you have to be a fairly powerful wizard to make wands and he is the best. Could this mean that he has other hidden talents that we have yet to see? Perhaps he went into hiding, perhaps he was kidnapped. We don't know yet. Also, Voldemort has the problem of having a wand that refuses to work against Harry's own wand. Now we know that wizards can use other wizards wands, but could he get Ollivander to make him a new one that would still be as powerful, or perhaps more powerful, than his old wand? Is one wand more powerful than another wand?

Fortescue: Simply put, he owns an ice cream shop. What would Voldemort want with an ice cream shop owner? Perhaps he was refused service because of his looks when he was younger and wants revenge... Now this is a stretch but I have come up with a possible reason. We have yet to see Dumbledore's brother in the books. Is it possible that Fortescue could be a powerful wizard such as him in disguise? People go into hiding in our world, why not in their's? There's obviously something very fishy about his disappearance and could possibly have more significance than Ollivander's.

I apologize if a similar thread has already been made. Feel free to lock this one if it is the case.

Last edited by superhuman; July 24th, 2006 at 10:12 pm.
Old July 24th, 2006, 9:40 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: Fortescue and Ollivander: Their roles in the final book

HI there and welcome to the forums...you may be interested in this thread:

Ollivander and Fortescue - Their use for Voldemort

Old July 24th, 2006, 9:41 pm
First Year

lol dangit, I typed it in the search and nothing came up, I hate this...

Old July 24th, 2006, 9:42 pm
Third Year

I agree with you about Ollivander. I think that either a) he ran for it because he knew that Voldemort and the DE's would be after him to make Voldemort a new wand, or b) the DE and Voldemort got him. It's obvious that Dumbledore needs a new wand, because his and Harry's share the same core of fawkes the pheonix. Therefore, Priori Incantatium happens, and Vodlemort wouldn't be able to kill harry with that wand.
As for Fortescue, I was re-reading OOTP, and noticed that they (memebers of the order) mentioned that name. I can't remember what they said, but they mentioned it in the beginning of OOTP. It was only in passing though, like it was a part of a conversation that Harry overheard. I'll look for it in the book later, and quote it when I find it.

Old July 24th, 2006, 9:57 pm
First Year

Man I don't know what your talking about, I can't find that thread anywhere. Everytime I click on that link it doesn't work and I've searched with that title about 5 or 6 times now and nothing has come up, are you sure about that?

Old July 24th, 2006, 10:26 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhuman
We have yet to see Dumbledore's brother in the books. Is it possible that Fortescue could be a powerful wizard such as him in disguise? People go into hiding in our world, why not in their's?
Are you making a joke????
The barman in the Hog's Head is Aberforth Dumbledore, DD's brother!

Old July 25th, 2006, 12:03 am
First Year

Is he really or are you just being weird and saying that? I don't remember reading anything like that. If it's true, please site where it says that in the books and I'll bow down to your superior knowledge of HP lol. I was just throwing out options.

Old July 25th, 2006, 1:20 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhuman
Is he really or are you just being weird and saying that? I don't remember reading anything like that. If it's true, please site where it says that in the books and I'll bow down to your superior knowledge of HP lol. I was just throwing out options.
J.K. did confirm that Aberforth is the Hogs Head barman in an interview. I don't know the exact interview though.

I don't think Fortescue will reappear byt I do think Ollivander might be used by Voldemort for something that would require his expertise.

Old July 25th, 2006, 2:19 am
First Year

That's why I didn't know, I haven't followed the interviews very well.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies