Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Ollivander and Fortescue - Their use for Voldemort

Old July 25th, 2006, 3:00 am
Third Year

Re: Ollivander and Fortescue - Their use for Voldemort

Maybe the DE/LV took Forescue do to his vast knowledge of History...

Stupid shiny Volvo drivers....
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:37 pm
First Year

Re: Fortescue and Ollivander: Their roles in the final book

In the HP world, not everyone who is qualified to teach at Hogwarts does choose to teach at Hogwarts. This reflects reality. But it also means that, in the HP world, there are 'teacher figures' for Harry outside the school. Maybe Fortescue would have been the top choice for History Professor but DD keeps Binns (who's ineffective) at Hogwarts because Fortescue is carrying out other work? Anywhere like an ice cream shop, bar, etc. is a good place for picking up gossip and having semi-secret meetings. And Fortescue gives Harry extra ice cream and teaching which gets him through Binns's exams. Even if he's a Chosen-One-admirer, that's a lot of time to take out from minding his shop.

I think he's either been killed and we'll find out why, or that we'll see him again in an "Aha" way. "Florean Fortescue" is a strong, memorable name and Rowling has bothered to construct a little history for his family. I wouldn't be surprised if he owned, or had a clue to, a Horcrux-object.

C. de Bergerac, vostre serviteur
Old July 25th, 2006, 12:45 pm
Second Year

I believe we're going to hear more of them in the last book. Maby they found there dead bodies or something. I hope not, I really liked Ollivander!

Old July 25th, 2006, 1:13 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latisha
Ah, I think that it is History of Magic in general. Didn't he help Harry with the weird witch that purposely got caught in the witchhunts.
lol that's right-my bad.
Then seriously, what good could that knowledge possibly do for either side? I mean, I know that historians claim that to understand ourselves, we have to understand our history, but come on now...this seems a little bit like overkill in that case... *shrugs* dunno.

Old July 25th, 2006, 2:12 pm
Sixth Year

I think that Harry might well run into one or the other as an Inferi. Seeing someone that he knows would be chilling for him.

I also think that one or the other may well be in hiding at number twelve Grimmauld Place, if that's not where Emmeline Vance is. Remember, Dumbledore told Draco, ("we can hide you more completely than you know").

I can't think of a use for Ollivander beyond making wands (though Vldemort might want to know why his and harry's acted as they did), so I'd guess that Ollivander just went into hiding.

Fortescue might as well, because we have the parallel of his place being trashed--and like Slughorn's place, no mention of a Dark Mark over it (I think).

On the other hand, he knew a lot of Wizarding History--and we have the fact that one of the Headmaster portraits is also named Fortescue. Perhaps there is a tie there, that the younger Fortescue knows something of the History of Hogwarts from his ancestor, or via family history. Like something that was hidden away somewhere in ancient times (not a Horcrux).

I think that this is an intriguing connection. We'll see what happens!

Happy Holidays to All!

Happy Christmas!
Old July 25th, 2006, 7:46 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfran14
You know...I've thought a lot about this one and I was taking the W.O.M.B.A.T test on JKR's site I noticed something interesting. On question #9, one of the answer choices is "The ban on goblin possession of wands (ought to be lifted)." Could Voldemort have captured Ollivander so he can get wands made for the goblins? Remember back to OotP when Lupin says, "It depends what they're offered," said Lupin. "And I'm not talking about gold; if they're offered freedoms we've been denying them for centuries they're going to be tempted." This discussion is of course about whether or not the goblins would side with Voldemort. Although I like the idea of Voldemort capturing Ollivander so he can get a new wand, these seemingly subtle clues make me wonder...is Voldemort getting wands for the goblins?
Wow, jlfran14... This is very good thinking! I'd never thought about it before, thanks!

Old July 25th, 2006, 8:06 pm
First Year

I think that we are all forgetting something vitally important. Ollivander remembers every wand he ever sold, who he sold it to, and what it was best used for. With this information, Voldemort would be able to find the strengths and possibly the weaknesses of every witch and wizard that would be opposing him since most bought their wands from Ollivander. Voldemort wouldn't even have to go so far as to learn all of them, just those that would be the most troublesome to him.

Old July 25th, 2006, 8:59 pm
Third Year

Maybe Ollivander was taken becuase of the Wand in the front window...there are some speculations that it would be Ravenclaw's....

who knows

Old July 25th, 2006, 10:21 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WattleBird
Maybe Ollivander was taken becuase of the Wand in the front window...there are some speculations that it would be Ravenclaw's....

who knows
I always thought that was an odd theory. What do people expect Ollivander to display in his window--pumpernickle?

The fact that his shop wasn't disturbed suggests one of two things. Either he went quietly with whomever, or he went on the run. I have a hard time believing that Ollivander was captured without any struggle on his home ground.

Slughorn demonstrated that a homeowner would have had some kind of intruder alarm, I can't believe that a shop owner, whose family had been in business for centuries, wouldn't have also.

Happy Holidays to All!

Happy Christmas!
Old July 26th, 2006, 6:43 am
First Year

i think ollivander left voluntarily because he(like DD and voldy)has very long fingers(some mugglenet essay has pointed out this being a sign of magical prowess)i also beleive he could instantly fight off the imperius curse. i mean if he can remember all the wands he's EVER sold and their animals.

Or He'll Nail You To The Door
-Morphin HBP

I ship Ginny/Harry Ron/Hermione And Luna/Me!
Rest in Peace Albus Percivul Wolfric Brian Dumbledore
Old July 26th, 2006, 2:25 pm
Second Year

I do kind of wonder how powerful of a wizard Ollivander is-even apart from the whole long fingered thing, he's gotta have some considerable amount of power, given his profession. Putting wands together and whatnot, along with his obviously superior memory seems to be a powerful combination to me-I wonder how strong he'd be in a fight?

Old July 26th, 2006, 6:24 pm
Squee-worthy

I am sure this has been addressed here, but anyway. What if Voldemort did not kidnap Ollivander and Fortescue? What if Dumbledore faked their deaths because they thought they were in danger?

Old July 27th, 2006, 7:00 am
First Year

that's a good thought. maybe he got the three owner's together and placed a fidalius charm on them....ill put that away for later reflection. back to bookwrm998 or sommat like that, i think ollivander is more than capable of flashing some silver knochk out spel (like DD) if cornered

Or He'll Nail You To The Door
-Morphin HBP

I ship Ginny/Harry Ron/Hermione And Luna/Me!
Rest in Peace Albus Percivul Wolfric Brian Dumbledore
Old July 27th, 2006, 4:58 pm
First Year

Well, Ollivander for obvious reasons. He may have found a way to let Inferious (the corpse thing, I can't remember if that's the name) use wands, making them even more powerful. Also, Fortescue seems like an intelligent guy, so if he's smart (and runs a successful buisiness) I doubt he's been in the Ice Cream buisiness his entire life. There could be more to his history than we know.

"Charlie Brown is the one person I identify with. C.B. is such a loser. He wasn't even the star of his own Halloween special." -- Chris Rock
The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
"Only a genius can play a fool."--Michael Rapaport

"The key to immortallity, is living a life which is worth to be remembered.'' --Bruce Lee
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:12 pm
First Year

I dont think ollivander and fortesque would be used as an inferi or imperiused because that would be of no use to the dark side. they would not be able to use their knowledgeof wands etc.

Old July 30th, 2006, 5:19 am
Third Year

Well....LV seems to use all his victims that he can get his hand's on as inferi...

So I think it would be really unnearving and plausible if they like "popped" up as one....but I think Ollivander was taken for some real important reason(yea I know thats really explanitory) I think that it would be the fact that he knows a lot about wands...and has a long memory...and I think Fortescue was taken because of his knowledge...All Voldemort would have to do is use Legilimancy or force it out of him(like he did with Bertha) and then he would know all he needed....

Old August 3rd, 2006, 9:48 pm
First Year

Thinking back on Florean Fortescue, there is a painting of a former headmaster in Dumbledore's office named Fortescue. They're probably related...directly, in fact.

Stephen Colbert: Equations are the devil's sentences!

Dr. Cox: No matter where you go in life, always keep an eye out for Johnny, the tackling Alzheimer's patient.
J.D.: Now what's that supposed to mean?
Patient: [Tackling J.D. from out of nowhere, shouting] Who am I?
Old August 31st, 2006, 7:50 am
First Year

I think that Jlfran14*theory is absolutely brilliant! I think your on to something there. It makes sense, Voldemort has been trying to get the Goblins on his side for quite sometime...Which caused him to kidnap Fortescue also since he has a lot of knowledge on Goblin history.. Or so I remember.. I have never thought of this before, I now have to reread the whole series again

Old August 31st, 2006, 9:33 am
First Year

Well first, as to the disappearance of Ollivander, I think it likely that his use to Voldemort has something to do with his and Harry's wand connection. There must eventually be someway around it if they are to duel at some point, which I assume they will unless Harry intends to kill Voldemort in another way. This could probably involve something like making Voldemort a new wand, or just Voldemort wanting to acquire information on how this connection works and possibilities of how to avoid it.

As for Fortescue, I think we've heard a bit more about him than we normally would such an arbitrary background character. Firstly, we know that he knows quite a bit about history (in particular witch and wizard burnings) from when he helped Harry, he owns an ice cream parlor (not sure where that fits in), and went missing recently. Also, if memory serves, I believe that once, in his office, Dumbledore addressed a portrait of one of the headmasters as 'Fortescue.' Now unless this is completely a coincidence (which I doubt as 'Fortescue' is probably not a very common surname), this could have bearing somewhere in the future and may have to do with the possibility of Voldemort kidnapping him and what his uses for him might be, whether they involve this mysterious headmaster relative or not. Even if this is just pure coinsidence, I do think J.K.R. gives out this kind of information deliberately and that when she adds in things that seem unimportant at the time and could have easily been left out, it is very possible it will be brought up later. Even so, I think that we will, at some point, learn more about Fortescue or at least learn of his fate.

Old August 31st, 2006, 10:16 am
First Year

All right this is a weird one, and may have been mention before, but I think that the fact that Fortescue is very skilled at history, and there was a hogwarts headmaster named fortescue, means that perhaps ice cream fortescue and headmaster fortescue are in fact the same person! I don't know how, maybe a curse on him or something, but I think that Fortescue has lived a long time, and Voldemort wants him to learn his secret of eternal life.

Okay this theory is weird, but I think it could be true.

Please check out my website
http://felicishp.proboards60.com/index.cgi

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies