Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old February 20th, 2006, 8:30 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: What are your movie pet peeves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousRae
Maybe they wouldn't have been too time constrained to fit important things in if they weren't wasting time throwing in dance routines and other unneccessary things.
Why wasn't that necessary? How else do you show the fear and trepidation that some of the students have (including Harry) about the Yule Ball?

Rowling did not call the Yule Ball "The Unexpected Task" without reason. Although it is a C-plot, it was about bravely confronting the unknown. Harry having to ask out a girl and then dance in public (while wishing that he was not dancing in public with another girl) all was part of that bravery theme.

So, it was important to provide a buildup for that.

As for the sideplots, Queen Beruth is right: if the audiences did not remember Polyjuice Potion from CoS, then how can you expect them to remember these sideplots (whichever ones you meant)?

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2006, 9:57 pm
First Year

I do not like that there was no explanation of the marouders. Also, the ending to poa was wierd.

Old February 20th, 2006, 10:41 pm
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey
Why wasn't that necessary? How else do you show the fear and trepidation that some of the students have (including Harry) about the Yule Ball?

Rowling did not call the Yule Ball "The Unexpected Task" without reason. Although it is a C-plot, it was about bravely confronting the unknown. Harry having to ask out a girl and then dance in public (while wishing that he was not dancing in public with another girl) all was part of that bravery theme.

So, it was important to provide a buildup for that.

As for the sideplots, Queen Beruth is right: if the audiences did not remember Polyjuice Potion from CoS, then how can you expect them to remember these sideplots (whichever ones you meant)?
I agree, I loved the dance lessons. It was comical and showed the characters vulnerability.

Old February 21st, 2006, 3:45 am
First Year

I think what bugs me the most is that so much of the detail that makes the books great is left out. Along with about a third of the plot. And, it bugs me that they changed Hermione. Not so much her charater, but the way she looks. She was perfect in the first movie, but then she's been steadily getting less Hermione-ish, in my opinion, at least. I mean, some of it can be attributed to her growing up, I guess, but they've changed her more than that. I know, I know, they have to sell it, but it bugs me that they changed her. Harry and Ron are good, though.

Old February 21st, 2006, 3:58 am
Mad Hatter

I still picture a scruffier Hermione... I didn't think that in the movie there was much change from regular Hermione to Yule Ball Hermione. Also, nothing at all what I thought dress robes looked like.

Old February 21st, 2006, 7:15 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by padfootfan1
Also, the ending to poa was wierd.
...And the ending to CoS wasn't?

I'm gonna love you like I'm indestructible

Your love is ultra magnetic and
it's taking over
This is hardcore
And I'm indestructible
Old February 21st, 2006, 7:17 am
First Year

Movies made from books are NEVER as good as the books. Nevertheless, seeing the books come to life on screen is awesome!!

Old February 21st, 2006, 7:20 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard
...And the ending to CoS wasn't?
IT'S NOT HOGWARTS WITHOUT YOU HAGRID!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOPE NOT WEIRD AT ALL.

Oh wait...did you mean when Hermione and Hagrid walked out into the great hall like they were contestants for "The Bachelor"? THAT WAS NOT WEIRD.....NOPE NOT AT ALL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplea4
Movies made from books are NEVER as good as the books. Nevertheless, seeing the books come to life on screen is awesome!!
Yeah..sometimes they turn out better! i.e. The Godfather

Old February 21st, 2006, 8:32 am
First Year

Why is it that people are constantly attacking the endings to CoS and PoA, but no one ever mentions PSS. The glee with which Dumbledore snatches the House Cup away from Slytherin, who never did anything particularly bad the whole movie, and who's head, Snape, was just revealed to have been a good guy all along, makes me really hate him (there was truely some fantasic grammar in that sentance.) I know that it happens in the book, but the way it's played in the movie makes me feel really sorry for Draco, not to mention all the nameless, blameless Slytherins. It leaves a rotten taste in my mouth.

Old February 21st, 2006, 1:24 pm
Zonko's Employee

Peeves not being in the movies is a big pet peeve...that was a bad joke....

Other than that, some more of my pet peeves are when Hermione pushes the hair out of her face in a I'm too busy all the time type of look. Don't ask...

It's no Hogwarts without you Hagrid...

Never better...

Some quotes...^^
One that really made me sick was in Prisoner of Azkaban. From the part when they enter the portrait of the Fat Lady singing (trying to be funny) to when the camera zooms out from Gryffindor Tower as we watch Neville, Ron, Hermione, Dean, and Seamus having a pillow fight. The whole scene sucked..

Old February 21st, 2006, 5:01 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

The almost total lack of Ginny. I know she isn't the main character but in PoA an unknown character got more lines than she did.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:23 pm
Fifth Year

Neville fainting in herbology... They turned him into this idiotic boy and he's not, which I hope they will get right in OotP!

Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:40 pm
Mad Hatter

I agree a bit with Nevil; however, I think that GoF finally got Nevill right, as well as Fred and George... They have always been an issue with me. They were never better captured than in GoF so funny and true to the book.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:18 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I think most of my peeves have already been stated, but I'll reiterate anyway.

-Dumbledore is one of, if not the, most powerful wizards in the world. So shouldn't he wear clean clothes, and maybe wash his beard once in a while, and cut his nasty yellow fingernails?

-Starting in PoA, Hermione calling Ron "Ronald" all the time. Like fingers on a chalkboard to me.

-In PoA, who are all the random characters with the lines? The black kid in Divination? The skinny kid at the Shrieking Shack? Shouldn't that have been Dean Thomas and Goyle in those roles? And who is Nigel?

-Percy in CoS, at the Burrow. Percy is always supposed to be perfectly groomed with his smooth hair and wire-rimmed glasses. So what's up with the nighshirt and wild messy hair?

-All the Ron/Hermione shipping. When they didn't hug in CoS? Holding hands in PoA? Puh-lease!

-The wierd faces Ron makes. Why do they need to make him (or Neville) the butt of all jokes?

-All the Mexican aura in PoA. Yes, I'm aware Cuaron is Mexican, but he's making a movie about a BRITISH BOARDING SCHOOL. Maintain your focus!

-What was up with Lupin's whole speech about Lily? I don't remember him mentioning her once in the book. And I agree, lose the mustache.

-In PoA, it was Prof. McGonagall who told Rosmerta about James & Lily being betrayed by Sirius. Huh, the McGonagall in the books would NEVER gossip like that.

-"Show me yours and I'll show you mine." Huh? What was that all about? And why did Dumbledore comply?

hmmm... I know there are more...

Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:50 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62442al_Man
Peeves not being in the movies is a big pet peeve...that was a bad joke....
You beat me to the punch line!

Old February 23rd, 2006, 1:00 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul
I think most of my peeves have already been stated, but I'll reiterate anyway.

-Dumbledore is one of, if not the, most powerful wizards in the world. So shouldn't he wear clean clothes, and maybe wash his beard once in a while, and cut his nasty yellow fingernails?

-Starting in PoA, Hermione calling Ron "Ronald" all the time. Like fingers on a chalkboard to me.

-In PoA, who are all the random characters with the lines? The black kid in Divination? The skinny kid at the Shrieking Shack? Shouldn't that have been Dean Thomas and Goyle in those roles? And who is Nigel?

-Percy in CoS, at the Burrow. Percy is always supposed to be perfectly groomed with his smooth hair and wire-rimmed glasses. So what's up with the nighshirt and wild messy hair?

-All the Ron/Hermione shipping. When they didn't hug in CoS? Holding hands in PoA? Puh-lease!

-The wierd faces Ron makes. Why do they need to make him (or Neville) the butt of all jokes?

-All the Mexican aura in PoA. Yes, I'm aware Cuaron is Mexican, but he's making a movie about a BRITISH BOARDING SCHOOL. Maintain your focus!

-What was up with Lupin's whole speech about Lily? I don't remember him mentioning her once in the book. And I agree, lose the mustache.

-In PoA, it was Prof. McGonagall who told Rosmerta about James & Lily being betrayed by Sirius. Huh, the McGonagall in the books would NEVER gossip like that.

-"Show me yours and I'll show you mine." Huh? What was that all about? And why did Dumbledore comply?

hmmm... I know there are more...
I agree with everthything on you're list, especially the black kid in divination. Who was he?

Old February 23rd, 2006, 1:09 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
He also is a professor. Speaking as an academic, I can assure you that he looks like a lot of my older colleagues. (Fortunately, getting tenure did not alter my hygiene!)

Quote:
The Ron/Hermione shipping is pretty heavy in the books, beginning in PoA. JKR herself made note of the closing scene of CoS anticipating the relationship between the two.

Quote:
The book never says that Lupin does not have a mustache.

Smart money is on this scene being the one including that foreshadowing that JKR has mentioned. JKR has very loudly NOT denied that Lupin also had a thing for Lily, and this scene provided some nice character development for Lily. One of the things that the PoA book does is provide us with a little background on Harry's parents (more James than Lily): this scene did both.

Quote:
McGonagal was there and party to it. Also, this was not gossip, but history. Besides, why waste Maggie Smith's talents by not using her? Having her and Fudge give the story instead of just Fudge made for better cinema and made some use of an outstanding actress.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old February 23rd, 2006, 1:21 am
First Year

When people know it's going to be a long movie, but they add useless stuff instead of putting in details..

I mean, the "I'm scared for you" scene with Hermione and Harry wasn't important as the Quidditch World Cup.

Dumbledore. The new one. Big no-no. I ish sorry if any of you guy are fans but the tie, and hat is really..making me irked...

LIke some other people said, Peeves. They should've put Peeves in. I needed a good laugh.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 1:24 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey
He also is a professor. Speaking as an academic, I can assure you that he looks like a lot of my older colleagues. (Fortunately, getting tenure did not alter my hygiene!)

Ah, but once you have been Phlogisticated, you will!

Old February 23rd, 2006, 1:26 am
Metzy Rox!

BurrowGhoul - i agree with most of your post except for this:
Quote:
Yeah, well it's called foreshadowing. There's a ton of it in the books. Maybe those exact *moments* weren't in the books, but there were other ones. A lot of them. Are you just a anti Ron/Hermione Shipper or do you not really see it?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies