Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old March 3rd, 2006, 3:03 am
Third Year

Re: What are your movie pet peeves?

In the first movie Dan's right eye twiches at the weirdest moments? Has anyone else noticed that?

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2006, 3:17 am
First Year

I accept that the movies aren't going to be near as good as the books. For the most part, I try to keep the two seperate in my mind...

But the thing that I dislike the most, mainly in GOF (POA just wasn't good... worry) is how choppy the movie is. It feels like they just took random scenes, filmed them, then put them together. All of the important information was just mumbled out by one of the characters.

For example, the Frank and Alice Longbottom and Neville's reaction the the Cruciatus (sp?) curse... that was only BRIEFLY mentioned at the trial.

and tons of other things

I wish they would/could make a movie and not just a sequence of unconnected scenes.

But I am really thinking that OotP is going to be the best yet. We shall see!

Old March 3rd, 2006, 2:57 pm
Second Year

The one thing that really used to bother me was how Emma looked so different from what Hermione was supposed to be. She's more beautiful and they haven't made an effort to tone her down a bit. That's why I didn't think that Yule Ball scene made her look any different. She has always been beautiful. I liked her in the 1st part though. She looked really cute
I see people being really hard on actors. They aren't all that bad. I, for one, love Alan Rickman & Rupert Grint. Dan & Emma are also pretty good now. The one actor who didn't fit in at all was Michael Gambon. That infamous scene from GoF... What was that about? That was so unlike Dumbledore!

And yes the universal complaint! The time factor. They better make the movies longer.

Old March 5th, 2006, 4:14 am
First Year

What bothers me the most, that WB does it only for $$.
They could have put in much more effort for the fans & stayed truer to the books. (Say, 50/50 money/ fans)

Movies 1 & 2 were nice - clearly made for children.
The kids played fine.

Starting at the 3rd one, WB went 100% commercial. Emma became a sex star, Rupert - a complete idiot. Things added to movies at the expence of important subplots. (Don't tell me JKR like it. I'll tell you that somehow she also liked AND included in her book the story of the Maraduers and other fine details which Cuaron didn't find important enough)

Gambon's Dumbledore is not a Dumbledore. They could have casted a better actor for the role or should have developed the charecter approprietly. And dressed him as JKR did.

4th movie is better but has moments that annoy me to no end:
- Beauxbatons seems to be an academy of dance & of how to drive guys mad (just watch how they walk in)
- Ron did not as Fleur to the ball b/c he liked her behind, but b/c she was a veela
- Maxime was a beautiful & elegant woman, not a tastless bum waring who knows what.
- WB barely uses Rupert's talant b/c he is the clown
- Dan's only good scene is when he got back w/ Ceddric's body, the others are average or below average
- Emma's best scenes are where she yells - the owl one and the very best - after the ball. The rest are average or below average
- that noncence w/ dean told Parvati who told Seamus who told who knows what to who knows whom is crazy.
- The scene in the Griffindor common room after the 1st task is completely out of Harry's carachter. JKR's Harry would never do that.
- The whole subplot of Crouches & Moody + the last scene in Moody's office is just jumbled. If I haven't red the bood I would never figure out what happened. And flicking the tongue didn't help.

Ok, I vented!

Old March 5th, 2006, 5:34 am
First Year

Quote:
- The whole subplot of Crouches & Moody + the last scene in Moody's office is just jumbled. If I haven't red the bood I would never figure out what happened. And flicking the tongue didn't help.
And yet the vast majority of the audience had no problem following what was happening.

I think in some cases, having read the book actually makes it harder to understand what was going on. I didn't understand the whole Mr. Crouch/Moody scene the first time I saw the movie, but that was because I though Mr. Crouch was under the Imperius curse, like he was in the book. It wasn't until my second viewing, when I realized that he was never under the Imperius Curse, that the exchange between the two made sense.

Old March 5th, 2006, 6:22 am
Second Year

I get the movies, but then I feel that at times it is so much harder to follow knowing what happens in the book, because then I catch myself saying, "How could they have left that out of the movie?" Or "How could they have done that instead of what happens in the book?" The movies are awesome and I love them. The books are beyond amazing and I love them as well. I think we have to remember that books and movies are always going to be different and they have never been and will never be exactly like the book. Movies are a beautiful form of art that sometimes you just have to sit back and just take it in. Sometimes I wish that I could erase the books from my mind and just watch the movies without always questioning and judging them. It would be cool to see if I could really follow along with the whole story not knowing the ENTIRE, REAL story that you get when you read the books. I agree that there are certain things in the movies that I wish wouldn't have been left out, but then its a movie and its only allotted so much time that it would be absolutely impossible for everything to be included in the film. We just have to appreciate the films for what they are and be thankful that for many people who have seen the HP movies it hasn't been enough so they turn to the books because they enjoyed the movies so much. People have realized that for the real effect of what the story is and to really appreciate how amazing it is the books are the only thing that do it justice. Thanks Warner Bros. for the Awesome HP MOVIES!!!

Happy Posting!

Smile.......Harry Loves You!

The Most Popular British Import Since The Fab-Four ! ! ! ! Amen To That!
Harry Potter Rocks!
Old March 5th, 2006, 11:28 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234567
What bothers me the most, that WB does it only for $$.
They could have put in much more effort for the fans & stayed truer to the books. (Say, 50/50 money/ fans)

Movies 1 & 2 were nice - clearly made for children.
The kids played fine.

Starting at the 3rd one, WB went 100% commercial. Emma became a sex star, Rupert - a complete idiot.
I'm going to assume your joking about Emma being a sex star, as if you are not that is one of the biggest exagerations ever. I can see your point though. Pink? What next? I bet she'll only be wearing a bra in Order of the Phoenix.

And Ron was a sidekick idiot in Chamber of Secrets too.

I'm gonna love you like I'm indestructible

Your love is ultra magnetic and
it's taking over
This is hardcore
And I'm indestructible
Old March 5th, 2006, 4:29 pm
Third Year

The actor's voices, especially Dan's. I imagine it completely different, I guess I picture it more man-ly. Yes, his voice is low and has matured, but it's just not a Harry voice for me. Actually, most things about Dan bother me.

Movie-Sirius bothers me too, only because I don't think Oldman is a fair representation of Book-Sirius. He's a good actor, just not how I imagined him to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremegreen
In the first movie Dan's right eye twiches at the weirdest moments? Has anyone else noticed that?
That's weird! When?

Text removed - only seven lines allowed.
Old March 5th, 2006, 5:03 pm
Third Year

Why the heck to they keep on moving and changing Hagrid's hut? In COS, it was just outside the castle on a flat grassy spot right up against the forbidden forest.

In POA, it had changed shape and size, and was all the way down some huge hill, much farther from the castle than the original hut.

???

AND, what's more, I just saw two photos from the set of OOP, where they're building YET ANOTHER Hagrid's hut - somewhere else again!

I wonder what happened to the original one, and why they didn't use it again. I think I liked the first one the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremegreen
Actually, in the first FEW movies he blinks only one eye at a time. I think it must have been a muscular development thing, because as Dan has aged, he doesn't do it any more. Or only very slightly. I'll have to watch GOF again when it comes out this week to check for it.

I definitely noticed it, though - it was very obvious throughout the whole first movie especially. He would be listening to another character talk, and the camera would focus on his face waiting for a reply, and very slowly just one eye would blink, like some birds do, and then he'd say his lines.

Actually, I thought it was quite cute - a sort of "Harry-ism" that wasn't included in the books. He reminded me of a little blinky owl in those round glasses.

Old March 6th, 2006, 6:35 am
Third Year

I thought this thread was about what our pet peeves at the movies????

I hate when people are texting during the moive. Can't they wait until after the movie is over??

Or when people are talking on the phone.
Or when lil kids talking louder than the movie.
Or when movie goers are trying to be funny during the movie.

I just like going to the movies and enjoy it!!
Is that asking to much???

Dumbledore's Girl through and through.

Hay que evitar la fatiga. ~Noemi~

ˇViva la causa! ~Cesar Chavez~

I love The Beatles!

I love U2!

Old March 6th, 2006, 7:26 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
- Beauxbatons seems to be an academy of dance & of how to drive guys mad (just watch how they walk in)
- that noncence w/ dean told Parvati who told Seamus who told who knows what to who knows whom is crazy.
Academy of Dance perfect description!
I loved that whole little sequence with Ron trying to explain that he was actually the one who told Harry about the dragons. Hilarious!

- Peeves being absent has annoyed me no end
- I won't go into it but...HERMIONE'S BLOODY PINK DRESS!!

Old March 6th, 2006, 8:02 am
Second Year

hermiones hair, and her pink dress.

Old March 6th, 2006, 9:16 am
Seventh Year

My main pet peeves are the lack of description of Marauders background in PoA and some of the cheesy lines that have been stuck in there. There's heaps of little things that annoy me too but I won't go into all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esme_grint
I thought this thread was about what our pet peeves at the movies????
Nope, I just read the first post, it's definitely our pet peeves of the HP movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayce_tennis
hermiones hair, and her pink dress.
What bothers me more is how upset people are getting about this.

Old March 6th, 2006, 9:18 am
Second Year

i agree about the lack of description in PoA.

you know, things that are out of character just kinda annoy me. its not important, but i notice it.

Old March 6th, 2006, 9:30 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid
Peeves being absent has annoyed me no end
Totally agree...the first thing I thought about when reading book 5 was the movie and how many less oppertunities for comedy there are ("It unscrews the other way...") I also hate angry Dumbledore.

As for general movie going pet peeves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by esme_grint
Or when lil kids talking louder than the movie.
How about going to the movies later at night and still getting the parents taking their whinny kids and crying babies? And when they don't take them out of the movie when they start crying?

Now watch me rise up and leave all the ashes you made out of me
When you said that we were wrong, life goes on, you blew me away" Embrace "Ashes"
*~* *~*
Old March 6th, 2006, 9:32 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayce_tennis
you know, things that are out of character just kinda annoy me. its not important, but i notice it.
Oooh, that bugs me too. Like Hermione's "Is that what my hair looks like from the back?" comment in PoA. Not cool.

Old March 6th, 2006, 9:35 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Girly
Oooh, that bugs me too. Like Hermione's "Is that what my hair looks like from the back?" comment in PoA. Not cool.
yeah! that was so random!

Old March 6th, 2006, 9:36 am
First Year

There are only a little bit about movies I find peeve-able.

1) Replacing actors in follow-up movies, to which the new actor is no where near the capabilities of the first. This right here can make or break a film.

2) Book to movie story lines where the film's storyline is no where smiliar to the book and therefore the book shouldn't even have been credited in the first place. This makes me blue.

Wicked-Wizards.com: Harry Potter Editorials
Old March 6th, 2006, 2:27 pm
Third Year

The trick is - go to see the movies late on a week night when the kids have to be in school the next day. Also - do NOT go opening night/week. Wait a bit, and it's much, MUCH more enjoyable, crowd-wise.

My husband and I usually only go to see movies on Tuesday nights, because the theater is almost always empty. Try it!

Old March 19th, 2006, 5:55 pm
Fifth Year

Characters I can't recognise :/

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies