Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old October 22nd, 2005, 7:10 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by durre_b
i think it would be better if:
a) the actors could act
b) dumbledore could look -yes just LOOK- a bit of the wise old wizard i ahd pictured
c)if he could chuck the hat
and d) if the makers would actually READ the the books. i would gladly lend them my books!!
What is with people on this site reading my mind? Gosh... Christmas is coming up. We could send them all box sets for gifts...

The question is not whether we are, but what we are and who we are. --from Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you dreamed? And what if, in your dream, you went to heaven and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if, when you awoke, you had the flower in your hand? Ah, what then? --from Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

This is what I brought you this you can keep. This is what I brought you may forget me. I promise to depart just promise one thing. Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep. --Prelude 12/21 by AFI

MySpace is love!
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2005, 7:52 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas
The movies will never be exactly like the books, as they do not have enough time... As such, I do wish they would include the more important scenes, however, I am not the director, for some reason, and until Peter Jackson agrees to do these films, I see no deviation from the current trend with the movies... They are movies, go enjoy them...
Of course, Peter Jackson was 100% faithful to the Lord of the Rings books now wasn't he...

I'm gonna love you like I'm indestructible

Your love is ultra magnetic and
it's taking over
This is hardcore
And I'm indestructible
Old October 22nd, 2005, 7:56 am
First Year

Lord of the Rings was cool, but its hardly the gold standard.

Old October 22nd, 2005, 8:32 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dung_fletcher
See GOF Costume Design Woes. Shudder.
Don't get me started on the toggles.

My biggest peeve is adding in really long extra scenes when they could have cut them and had more stuff from the book eg. when Harry rides Buckbeak over the lake. They could have cut/shortened it and added marauders back story. I suspect I will find the same thing with the first task in GOF.

Also Dumbledore's beard. That tie is really irritating.

Old October 22nd, 2005, 2:13 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by durre_b
i think it would be better if:
a) the actors could act
b) dumbledore could look -yes just LOOK- a bit of the wise old wizard i ahd pictured
c)if he could chuck the hat
and d) if the makers would actually READ the the books. i would gladly lend them my books!!
hmm.... *wonders if they have actually read the books* ummm nope!

thanks hermy_grngr. u rock!
Old October 22nd, 2005, 2:47 pm
Second Year

Well.. of course the movies would change the book in some way because no one wants what was EXACTLY from the book.. It would be to boring.. thats what makes the harry potter movies its own unique movie.. but.. i have to say.. the acting could be better.. thats about it.. the rest is good.. the length, graphics, story..

Old October 23rd, 2005, 7:17 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard
Of course, Peter Jackson was 100% faithful to the Lord of the Rings books now wasn't he...
Never said he did mate, but he did a lot better than Colombus and Cuaron did...

Aboard the HMS Lockeddoor and the HMS Germany ... Figure those out, I'll give you $1,000...

My headmaster has a first name, it's A-L-B-U-S, my headmaster has a middle name, it's P-E-R-C-I-V-A-L, my headmaster has a second middle name, it's W-U-L-F-R-I-C, my headmaster has a third middle name, it's B-R-I- oh forget it, jeez get a shorter name headmaster....
Old October 23rd, 2005, 9:03 pm
Second Year

No. 1 the first two movies are no where near the quality of the third (why), no offence to the child actors but they should have had a two month training camp or something but in PoA it much improved
No. 2 I do not like the new Dumbledore. I liked Richard Harris protrayal of Dumbldore than Michael Gambdon.
No. 3 Ron whines to much!!!!!!!!!!

thats about it

Harry: No. No. It's not true. That's impossible.
Snape: Search your feelings. You know it to be true.
Harry: Nooooo. Nooooo.

FMDBG= Voldemort= (Formely Mostly Dead Bad Guy)
Old October 23rd, 2005, 9:44 pm
First Year

I think, there should be two different versions of every movie made, that was based on a book. One for the masses (ie: the type that Cuaron Columbus, Newell made), and one that is perfectly matched to the book, for people like us, who read the books. M-hm!

But, I hate Cliche's in movies.

Old October 24th, 2005, 8:45 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaRTyGiRL089
I agree with you, but you don't have to be so hard on the actors cause they're doing the best they can.. And once you get used to them, They're not that bad at acting..
Well, if that's the best that they can do they're bad actors. The thing that stands out in my mind is PoA and the Shrieking Shack. Harry is in Hogsmead (Shack in background) and Dan's giving this melodramatic monologue about being ready for "him." I remember thinking hmmm that was a bit lame and over done. It was a bit more of temper tantrum Harry than it was resolution Harry. If that makes any sense. So Other times he seems to be Keannu Reeves or the tin-man from the Wizard of Oz, where you're like "Dude, can we get a bit more emotion." I guess crappy acting is my pet peeve.

Old October 24th, 2005, 10:07 am
Second Year

I hate the fact that they're trying to do things more dramatic and 'spectacular' than they're in the books, because it doesn't even work. Like changing the patronus from cute silver stag chasing the dementors away to a weird force field visible from miles away.

Old October 24th, 2005, 2:32 pm
Third Year

ok what do i hate, well theres the whole missing things out changing them around thing. Missing out whole sub-plots, the fact that harrys eyes arn't green. The fact that in POA the dementores were flying and they had teeth thats right people teeth.

There is a popular theory which states that if ever anyone discovered exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states this has already happened.

Old October 24th, 2005, 3:01 pm
First Year

I wanted to see a de-gnoming of the garden in CoS, I know it's not crucial but I just love that bit, I obviously have a picture of the gnomes in my mind but I wanted to see them. That's what I love about the films the visual aspect, seeing what everyone looks like that's why it's frustrating when pople are left out.

I think they should have done like LOTR and made extra long versions, then the people who want everything can see it and people happy with 2 1/2 hour long films don't have to moan that they are too long. Personally I could sit through 4 hours of Harry Potter if it meant de-gnoming of the garden, peeves, The Deathday Party, Ludo Bagman etc etc etc.

Old October 24th, 2005, 3:34 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmagic
I wanted to see a de-gnoming of the garden in CoS, I know it's not crucial but I just love that bit, I obviously have a picture of the gnomes in my mind but I wanted to see them. That's what I love about the films the visual aspect, seeing what everyone looks like that's why it's frustrating when pople are left out.

I think they should have done like LOTR and made extra long versions, then the people who want everything can see it and people happy with 2 1/2 hour long films don't have to moan that they are too long. Personally I could sit through 4 hours of Harry Potter if it meant de-gnoming of the garden, peeves, The Deathday Party, Ludo Bagman etc etc etc.
That would be SO nice.
I know they cutted Bill out of the GoF, and I would just LOVE to see just the one little moment when Fleur looks for the first time at him. Awww
And I would love to have SPEW, I know they cut that out too.

Old October 24th, 2005, 8:13 pm
Fifth Year

I don't like it when the movies change the little things that don't really matter and that only the most obsessive fans like me notice. I just hate to see anything about Harry Potter changed, even if it's in the interest of shortening the movie and making things mesh better.

"We'll hold hands and skip afterwards." -Jess from Gilmore Girls

"Put your gun back in your pants, Sawyer" -Kate

"But why is the rum gone?" -Captain Jack

"I don't know what kind of commie sharefest you're running up there in cavetown..." -Sawyer

"Is there anyway I can get this off my fingers quickly without betraying my cool exterior?" - Fox Mulder

Oh Captain Jack, you've swashbuckled your way into my heart.
Old October 24th, 2005, 8:52 pm
Fifth Year

I have so many that it'll take a day to write it all down. My biggest peeve is Super!Hermione and propping of Hermione. TIIC seemed to have this belief that she's the star of the series, heck they might as well rename it as Hermione Granger and the...

Old October 24th, 2005, 9:10 pm
First Year

Harry's got brown hair in GoF... I hate that.

Old October 24th, 2005, 10:55 pm
Second Year

Ok let me introduce to you all, this little phrase I like to use:
ďIN MY OPINIONĒ meet everyone in the forum!!!!
Seriously you people should start using it. Just because YOU donít like the way some of the actors act, doesnít mean they cant! Thatís your opinion. In my opinion most of the cast is superb, especially the trio.

Pet peeves? Well I feel like the first two movies were to childish, of course they would be, considering they were clearly directed towards children, I'm very happy PoA and GoF didnít follow that.
It also bothered me that they didnít explain the marauders story in PoA, but it clearly isnít necessary. I feel like the that people that made PoA, made it for the ppl that had read the books. They didnít just make the whole book all over again, they showed it to us from a different perspective and I think Alfonso did awesome work at that (thatís my opinion at least)

Old October 24th, 2005, 10:56 pm
First Year

ok i dont agree with the bad acting part i actually think they are pretty good but...
the whole taking out things that are important i swear! my dad doesnt really read books but he loves movies so every time i complain about how bad the movies are hes "like they are never going to be just like the books" well i know they arent gunna be just like the books but come on you could at;est get the major plot points in there. like in the third movie the whole thing about nnot explaining the mauraderes par that was just bad.
things that REALLY bother me are:
*the new dumbledore he just doesnt fit the part he's like a hippie and that hat just HAS to go!
*hiw in the 4th movie they are cutting out so many major charecters(i.g. no house elves or bill or charlie HELLO these charecters are very importnat )
it seems to me that each movie gets less and less like the books. the 1st 2 they cut out minor details add afew things here and there the 3rd movie they ut out subplots and add really corny lines in and then the 4th movie theyre just chopping up the book taking out major charecters and everything!!!
it feels great to finally have people that agree with me on the films

i love eric scull hes amazing
Old October 24th, 2005, 11:54 pm
First Year

I loved the 1st film and i think it was the best adaptation the book although looking at the trailer for GoF that looks excellent. I think think the acting in the 3rd movie isnt brillant but they do enough to portray their characters.ok my pet peeves are 1: No Peeves, he would have been hilarious and they could have used him for humerous moments instead of giving characters 1 liners to break tension 2:The rearranging of Hogwarts in PoA and also the quiddich pitch in CoS 3: No quiddich final in PoA 4: No Explaination of the mauraders and who they were that they made the map 5: Harry's crying in PoA, worst bit of acting in the 3 films in my opinion 6: New Dumbledore, i loved Richard Harris(RIP) as Dumbledore and they should of at least kept his style of clothing and talking the same instead of the hip new character of Micheal Gambon. thats all i can think of at the moment. I still love all the films, my favourite being the 1st film, simply because its stayed faithful to the book moreso than CoS and PoA but thats just my opinion. Love, Peace and Chicken Grease

"Im a Stick Poking
Banana Dancing
Malfoy Loving
Voldemort Follower
And i am Outta Here"

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies