Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old October 28th, 2005, 9:45 pm
First Year

in HP when they get mad at each other for instance in chamber of secrets Harry got mad or had a tone when Hermione and Ron asked simple questions..

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2005, 4:26 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionCadet
WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP COMPLAININGF ABOUT THE NEW DUMBLEDORE!!!! RICHARD HARRIS IS DEAD!!!...and Gambon really is a great actor...he's more subtle and Harris didn't really capture the slight loonyness of JK's Dumbledore.
Okay....Harris may be dead, but that doesn't change the fact that I can't stand Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore. And Gambon captures Dumbledore's "loonyness" a little bit too much. That extra something that he puts in there is a little too much I think. The character of Dumbledore may be a little whacky, but he's also supposed to be this wisened, knowledgeable wizard and I don't think that Gambon captures that.

The question is not whether we are, but what we are and who we are. --from Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you dreamed? And what if, in your dream, you went to heaven and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if, when you awoke, you had the flower in your hand? Ah, what then? --from Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

This is what I brought you this you can keep. This is what I brought you may forget me. I promise to depart just promise one thing. Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep. --Prelude 12/21 by AFI

MySpace is love!
Old October 30th, 2005, 4:19 pm
Fourth Year

Gambon's Dumbledore is quite scary, I think. I was watching a clip of the film where Dumbledore grabs Harry roughly by the shoulders and pushes him into the side chamber after his name has came out of the goblet. I found this very annoying, because in the books Dumbledore was very angry when Umbridge shook Marietta so why is he manhandling Harry?

"Everything in this room is eatible, even I'm eatible. But that, dear children, is called cannibalism and is frowned upon in most societies."
Old November 3rd, 2005, 12:10 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPP
Gambon's Dumbledore is quite scary, I think. I was watching a clip of the film where Dumbledore grabs Harry roughly by the shoulders and pushes him into the side chamber after his name has came out of the goblet. I found this very annoying, because in the books Dumbledore was very angry when Umbridge shook Marietta so why is he manhandling Harry?
How on earth is Gambon's Dumbledore scary? I saw that clip and it made me want to gag. That's not how Dumbledore acts in the books. Yes, he's kind of eccentric, but he's supposed also deliberate in what he does because he knows what he's doing. Gambon's Dumbledore doesn't show that at all. His actions all look wild and unplanned and, to me, slightly akward.

That's a good point about the manhandling thing, though.

The question is not whether we are, but what we are and who we are. --from Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you dreamed? And what if, in your dream, you went to heaven and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if, when you awoke, you had the flower in your hand? Ah, what then? --from Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

This is what I brought you this you can keep. This is what I brought you may forget me. I promise to depart just promise one thing. Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep. --Prelude 12/21 by AFI

MySpace is love!
Old November 3rd, 2005, 12:34 am
Fourth Year

i hAte the r/hr moments that werent in the book. they didnt even start to like eachother until the fourth, and hermione would never lean on rons shoulder instead of harry's, hes like her base. basically the leaving out stuff and putting irrevalent stuff in was annoying, especially in the 3rd. when hermione throws the rock, looks at the hair from behind, the hippogryf flying over the lake part that took forever, and harry looking like hes having the time of his life (the book said that flying on beaky was really uncomfortable and he couldnt wait to get down). also, the fact that really stupid movies got better ratings that all the harry potters. they got in the b range, and stuff like the legend of zorro got in the a range. come on, you can make the bestselling book of all time into a better movie series than that.

Old November 3rd, 2005, 12:34 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enna
Harry's got brown hair in GoF... I hate that.
His hair isn't brown in the book?

I think the biggest movie pet peeve I have is that some need to accept the fact that the movies are separate entities from the books and should not have to include every single detail. If GoF had included all the S.P.E.W. nonsense I would have been very turned off to it. If I want all the little details and character eccentricities, I'll read the books. I'm glad I won't have to watch Hermione talk about S.P.E.W. for 10 minutes. As long as the main events are pretty much intact, I'm happy.

Thanks to random_musing for the inspiration ^_^

"Ron seemed to come to himself slightly as they walked back across the Great Hall. He touched the spot on his face where Hermione had kissed him, looking puzzled, as though he was not quite sure what had just happened. He seemed too distracted to notice much around him..." - Order of the Pheonix
Old November 3rd, 2005, 4:20 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmuse
totally agree!! and the new Dumbledore totally suks (sorry to his fans) but he is just not right for the part. The real Dumbledore would never say such cheesy things and have silly expressions on his face. And there is a scene in the GoF trailer where he actually looks scared! When has JKR's Dumbledore ever been known to make that kind of an expression?!

About the actors portraying the Trio, I think they're doing a decent job. Some of Dan's dialogus do look very rehearsed at times but I just cant keep it against him somehow. He's so cute & looks very similar to the Harry i pictured in my mind.

could have said it beeter myself.

oh one othe thing where is Peeves

Old November 3rd, 2005, 5:16 am
Third Year

My friend and I were just watching the movies the other day and we noticed three main things that really REALLY bothered us.
1. Well others have said this, but the exclusion of the MWPP plot...THIS IS IMPORTANT! It isn't some minor detail. We could have been told about this instead of 2 minutes of Harry pulling a Titanic movie while flying on Buckbeaks back, or while listening to the stupid shrunken head.
2. They make Ron look like an idiot, and give all of his good lines to others. The whole 'mudblood' explaination? Hermione didn't even know what it meant! Same thing with the talking to snakes bit. And the "you'll have to kill us too". Give Ron some credit, he isn't only there for a laugh.
3. The added cheesiness. Like the Buckbeak ride, for example. We noticed some super corny moments that made us cringe.

One other thing that really bothers me, but doesn't seem to bother others is the fact that they so often wear muggle clothes or uniform type clothes. In my mind (and from what I've picked up from the books) they wear Robes anytime they are at Hogwarts and school is in session (since during Christmas they wear the Weasley sweaters). Snape took points from Harry for showing up in muggle attire, and in Snape's Worst Memory, he isn't wearing anything under his robes. So why are the running around Hogwarts in tshirts and jeans??

I just wish that the directors/writers would actually read the books before they decided to go changing things that would be better the way they are in the books. Hopefully GoF will be better!

Oh and it drives me absolutely CRAZY that Harry's eyes aren't green. How many times has it been stated that Harry's eyes are green? (What can I say, I'm picky)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn1182
His hair isn't brown in the book?
Harry's got black hair.

Harry and Ron, best friends for life!

Last edited by jenny07; November 3rd, 2005 at 5:30 am.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 5:20 am
Fourth Year

The producers picked Gambon to play the part, as I think he was the highest profile actor to want the role... I do much prefer the warmer, cuddlier Richard Harris, but he is no longer with us, and all we can do is hope Gambon improves...

Aboard the HMS Lockeddoor and the HMS Germany ... Figure those out, I'll give you $1,000...

My headmaster has a first name, it's A-L-B-U-S, my headmaster has a middle name, it's P-E-R-C-I-V-A-L, my headmaster has a second middle name, it's W-U-L-F-R-I-C, my headmaster has a third middle name, it's B-R-I- oh forget it, jeez get a shorter name headmaster....
Old November 3rd, 2005, 5:28 am
First Year

LEAVING OUT MAJOR DETAILS OF A MOVIE THAT WAS BASED OF A BOOK. COUGH.......POA.....COUGH. Also it was too short.

Old November 3rd, 2005, 6:12 am
Curse Breaker

I'd have to say it's when characters in the movie are given lines to say that belong to other characters in the books.

For example, in CoS, after Draco calls Hermione a mudblood, Hagrid & Hermione have lines that belonged to Ron in the book. While it gets the information to the viewer, it gives an incorrect impression of the viewpoint/personality of the characters.

In PoA, near the end of the movie Lupin is given lines with Harry that were originally between Dumbledore and Harry. If you haven't read the books, it gives the viewer a different sense of the dynamics and relationships between characters.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old November 3rd, 2005, 6:34 am
First Year

The new Dumbledore is my single biggest pet peeve of the new movies. He doesn't at all seem to me as the same Dumbledore from the books. In the books there was always a certain radiance coming from the character of Dumbledore. He to me seemed like an ancient, all knowing, powerful, wise beyond comprehention kind of being(until book 6). The new Dumbledore to me seems just average. I was of the opinion that Ian McKellan would have made a perfect Dumbledore, and excellent replacement for Richard Harris. Who's this Micheal Gambon fool anyway?

Old November 3rd, 2005, 6:38 am
First Year

I actually like the new dumbledore A LOT better than the old one. the old one seemed weak and feeble and like u could barely touch him and he'd fall over lol. the new one has the energy and everything, he just looks dingy, some clean robes would do him justice

Old November 3rd, 2005, 8:20 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by feandro13
Who's this Micheal Gambon fool anyway?
Sir Michael Gambon is quite a well known actor. Not as famous as Richard Harris was, but I wouldn't call him a fool. He doesn't even have much say about how he wants the character to act anyway (Same for Emma Watson as Hermione).

I'm gonna love you like I'm indestructible

Your love is ultra magnetic and
it's taking over
This is hardcore
And I'm indestructible
Old November 3rd, 2005, 9:15 am
Second Year

I actually didn't mind Gambon in POA. I really really love when Harry and hermione come running back to the hospital wing and tell dumbledore "we did it!" To which gambon replies "did what? goodnight!" Loved that scene so much. From what I've seen of him in GOF, I have to admit I don't like how they've portrayed him. But I'll wait to see the movie before making a full judgement on that. But remember as well that the director also has a say in the way that things are played out. Just because Newell decided to make dumbledore a bit.....grumpy... at times, doesn't mean that future directors will.

Although I love Ian Mckellen, he'll always be Gandalf to me. I wouldn't have liked it if he played dumbledore as well. Mckellen was an amazing gandalf because although he can be kindly, he can also be grumpy. Even tolkien described gandalf as being 'quick to laugh, yet also quick to anger.' Dumbledore, although similar to gandalf in some ways, is not quick to anger. He always seemed infinately patient. Only in HBP do we see him get a bit angry with harry, and even then he was not 'grumpy,' just firm.

As for the pet peeves question, well I'm disapointed that we never see any of those AWESOME hospital wing scenes! In POA Snape totally looses it in the hospital wing. But especially in GOF, we all know the hospital wing scene isn't there. I've always thought that the reformation of the order in the hospital wing was one of the most powerful sequences in the series. I'm also very very disapointed that the grudge between the Marauders and Snape is never brought up. Its a very important point to keep in mind when following the whole story line. Lastly, I don't like when hary yells "Noooooooooooooo!!!" in COF when he's in Tom Riddle's memory of Hagrid.

He knows he looks good
Many thanks to Mickella for the wonderful custom sig!
Old November 12th, 2005, 11:12 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathrakka
I actually didn't mind Gambon in POA. I really really love when Harry and hermione come running back to the hospital wing and tell dumbledore "we did it!" To which gambon replies "did what? goodnight!" Loved that scene so much.
That's the only scene out of the PoA movie that I actually liked him in. It's the only one, to me, that caught my perception of DD's character and personality.

MySpace is love!
Old November 13th, 2005, 6:17 pm
Third Year

I just think that if you are going to leave out major details from a book to a movie that has the devoted fan base this series does that you can at least get the details of the smaller things you did put in right. Eye color that has a major role, location of the scene (ie indoors or outdoors), lines, etc. These things could have kept more loyalty to films that we all have felt were butchered with POA.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
~ Galileo Galilei

I would rather live a short happy life doing the things I love, than a long miserable life doing things that only prolong the misery. ~ Stayce
Old November 13th, 2005, 6:41 pm
First Year

My only pet peeve in the movies is the fact they left out Peeves. I know he is not a major character, but I think it would have been great if they added such a comical character. The other things that were left out don't really bother me. Complaining about things doesn't change anything really, so why waste your time doing it?

Real Life Harry Potter Survivor!
Interested? Then Click the link below and register to play with myself and many others!http://s13.invisionfree.com/HPsurviv...ex.php?act=idx
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:09 pm
Second Year

ugh

I wanted to see Peeves too! It bugs me that I dont know what he looks like, all I have is my imagination.

'I dream i'm married to Harry. But Voldemortes my father.'
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:23 pm
Sixth Year

Reading through this thread its clear that Michael Gambon is not a very popular man. I must admit I was not overly impressed myself but what can you do? Should they change him again? That would be worse. I feel that he is much smaller than Richard Harris. Is that just me? I always pictured DD very tall for an elderly chap.

I quite enjoy all the films. I try not to compare them to the books because it is impossible to get all the twists and turns and sub plots etc into a standard size cinema film.

I think we should just enjoy them and feel really sorry for those poor fools that have not bothered to read the books cause they will never ever know the real Potter Magic..

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies