Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

How will Snape prove his loyalty?

Old November 20th, 2005, 3:03 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigunmax
If Snape is good(like i think) i highly doubt he could ever prove his loyalty to the good side.

if he is evil then he has already proven himself

He's proven himself evil how? By becoming a Death Eater? Dumbledore wouldn't have accepted him into the OotP if he believed Snape to be evil.
Can you please back your post up with facts as to why he would be evil?

Old December 11th, 2005, 10:37 pm
Second Year

Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

Good thing there are such things as Pensieves. Why can't Harry just be shown, at some point, whatever memory Dumbledore had that made him trust Snape?

Old December 11th, 2005, 10:55 pm
Second Year

I think Snape is loyal to no one. He is on his own side. TFPWMNBN's goal was to be alive and out of Azkaban, not suffering.

Spoiler: show
I have 10 toes.

WeasleyGirl93
"why yes, I am crazy!"
dance, buffalo sabres hockey, and harry potter...yep...that's my life
Old December 11th, 2005, 11:05 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Suggestions to date:
  • Snape had made a UV with Dumbledore. Could be. I agree with the poster who said Dumbledore would never force anyone to make such a Vow. But he might permit a volunteer to do so.

A Pensieve memory (sure, could be one in a bottle somewhere).

Dumbledore's portrait. Sure, it could share information.

Snape could sacrifice himself for the cause. Yes, that should work.

Other ideas I've had or seen elsewhere:
  • Snape's Patronus changes to a Phoenix (which WAS the form of Dumbledore's...)

Fawkes is seen hanging around with Snape. (As we learned from CoS, he would only come to the aid of someone genuinely loyal to Dumbledore...)

Snape provides invaluable information to Harry (say, Horcrux locations...) This could be done anonymously, and ties in a bit with the previous 2 suggestions. As Harry would trust information he got from a Phoenix patronus or a letter carried by Fawkes.

If it was set up in advance, Dumbledore could have left a letter exonerating Snape.

Dumbledore could still be alive...

Old December 11th, 2005, 11:32 pm
Sixth Year

I also agree with the idea that Snape will prove his loyalty by ultimately putting his life on the line for Harry. He probably won't jumping in front of an Avada Kedavra curse that Voldemort throws, but I think Snape will either give Harry something or pass on some information that will aid Harry in defeating Voldemort.

Old December 12th, 2005, 1:46 am
Second Year

I go with all who have said Snape will prove his loyaty by saving Harry's life. Actualy, I believe - as many of you do - that Snape will actually diedoing this. Why I believe Snape is on the "good side" has been exposed in other threads, but I stick to that and Snape´s death will make me horribly sad because then, and only then, will Harry and the others know that Dumbledore was right about him, but there will be no chance of anything being said about it, only regret and gratefulness...

Even the smallest person can change the course of the future...
Old December 12th, 2005, 9:18 pm
Second Year

Snape has saved Harry's life already, at least three times that we know of. He kept Harry from falling off his broom in year 1, until Hermione made Quirrel break eye contact. He thought he was saving Harry in year 3, when he went to the Shrieking Shack. By mopping up after Harry sent the patronus, he may actually have staved off further/renewed dementor attacks as well as protecting Harry from the werewolf loose on the grounds. In year 5, he's the one who contacted the Order of the Phoenix members and sent them to the Ministry. Without their help, would Harry (and friends) have survived?

So yeah, Snape saving Harry doesn't seem to have proven loyalty...at least not to this point.

Old December 12th, 2005, 9:23 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlchick9
Snape is EVIL!!!!! We clarified this a while ago. He is not coming back can't say I'm upset
I thought Snape had proved his Loyalty to Voldy that is!!!!!!!!!!!

Old December 12th, 2005, 9:25 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

If Dumbledore never told anyone why he trusted Snape when he was alive, why do you think he would leave a note exonerating him?

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old December 12th, 2005, 9:26 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by avadakworkswell
He's proven himself evil how? By becoming a Death Eater? Dumbledore wouldn't have accepted him into the OotP if he believed Snape to be evil.
Can you please back your post up with facts as to why he would be evil?
If you believe Snape killed Dumbledore because he's working for Voldemort, that would be pretty good proof that he's evil.

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old December 13th, 2005, 12:06 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul
If Dumbledore never told anyone why he trusted Snape when he was alive, why do you think he would leave a note exonerating him?
I don't think that's the point... I think we will discover, based on certain facts, why Dumbledore trusted Snape

Old December 13th, 2005, 12:10 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathermione
Snape has saved Harry's life already, at least three times that we know of. He kept Harry from falling off his broom in year 1, until Hermione made Quirrel break eye contact. He thought he was saving Harry in year 3, when he went to the Shrieking Shack. By mopping up after Harry sent the patronus, he may actually have staved off further/renewed dementor attacks as well as protecting Harry from the werewolf loose on the grounds. In year 5, he's the one who contacted the Order of the Phoenix members and sent them to the Ministry. Without their help, would Harry (and friends) have survived?

So yeah, Snape saving Harry doesn't seem to have proven loyalty...at least not to this point.
I agree with you in the fact that Snape has saved Harry before, but in book 1, he did it out of guilt I believe, he felt he owed it to James for saving his life. In book 3 I think he was more interested in catching Sirius than anything else, and in book 5 he was just passing the information he was supposed to pass... that, to me, proves that even though Snape is full of anger and is incredibly unfair with Harry, he is, in the end, loyal to Dumbledore, more than being loyal to the "good side".
As for the "saving Harry" issue, I think this time it will be totally obvious Snape saved him and he will do so in fornt - or in knowledge - of Voldemort. That will prove his loyalty, leaving Voldemort to stand on harry's side.

Old December 13th, 2005, 1:07 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkerton
I believe, like klynnrose, Snape's loyalty will be proven by the ultimate redemption to Harry: giving his life for him. But I think there should be more, not just Snape rushing in at random to protect Harry. I think his life can be given only after he or someone/something has explained to Harry the truth of the loyalty matters. There are many loose ends to tie up, or in the case of Harry and Snape, it seems they are still in the middle and beginning of understanding each other. I see Snape's redemption happening at a vital moment, at least if he is to die for Harry. Most likely some encounter with Voldemort, which would of course make the matter that much more dramatic and gripping to us readers and those in the story as well. Perhaps information of the truth will trickle out to Harry as the story progresses (IE rumors of where Snape's loyalties lie, speculation, so on), then a bucketload of emotional revelations toward the time when Snape would give his life (IE the cold hard facts of Snape's loyalty, whatever they might be), and then the death itself.

My ideas are a bit vague and shakey but it's hard to predict too much. I'll just say here that I'm a firm believer that Snape is good and will somehow, some way redeem himself.
You took the word out of my mouth...

Old December 13th, 2005, 2:09 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkerton
I believe, like klynnrose, Snape's loyalty will be proven by the ultimate redemption to Harry: giving his life for him. But I think there should be more, not just Snape rushing in at random to protect Harry. I think his life can be given only after he or someone/something has explained to Harry the truth of the loyalty matters. There are many loose ends to tie up, or in the case of Harry and Snape, it seems they are still in the middle and beginning of understanding each other. I see Snape's redemption happening at a vital moment, at least if he is to die for Harry. Most likely some encounter with Voldemort, which would of course make the matter that much more dramatic and gripping to us readers and those in the story as well. Perhaps information of the truth will trickle out to Harry as the story progresses (IE rumors of where Snape's loyalties lie, speculation, so on), then a bucketload of emotional revelations toward the time when Snape would give his life (IE the cold hard facts of Snape's loyalty, whatever they might be), and then the death itself.

My ideas are a bit vague and shakey but it's hard to predict too much. I'll just say here that I'm a firm believer that Snape is good and will somehow, some way redeem himself.
Yeap... I'm 100% with you on that

Old December 13th, 2005, 2:22 am
Second Year

TFPWMNBN's goal was to be alive and out of Azkaban, not suffering

weasleygirl: we can't even use D D as an acronymn for Dumbledore, how in the hell are we supposed to understand that . Please explain

Whether Severus Snape, is good or bad, he's still going to die. We all know that!
Old December 13th, 2005, 2:27 am
Third Year

I thought about that (the Unbreakable Vow thing) and I came to the conclusion that it would not be a very "Dumbledore-like" thing to do to make somebody swear their loyalty on their life-especially under the cercumstances. It's against his beliefs in chioce and all that.

Old December 13th, 2005, 2:36 am
Fourth Year

I think the Pensieve memory is the best candidate floating around. The pensieve was a very prominent item in HBP, and it is not unreasonable to suspect that Dumbledore left some memories in bottles somewhere. Dumbledore obviously knows why he trusts Snape; something must have happened; Dumbledore probably remembers it. If he put it in a bottle, Harry might find it, relive it in the pensieve, and then have to deal with the new information and all its implications.

I find it less likely that the portrait will be willing to help here. Dumbledore was clearly unwilling to divulge his reasons for trusting Snape (perhaps he was a secret-keeper in a Fidelius charm?) so I can't see that his portrait would be any more willing. However -- his portrait might tell Harry where his store of memories in bottles are (so Harry can find out horcrux info), and then Harry will find out more than he bargained for.

Old December 13th, 2005, 6:18 am
First Year

I love Snape. As a character he is brilliant. I hope he doesn't redeem himself by sacrifice. As was mentioned above, it's been done before in the series.

My theory since Half-Blood Prince came out has been that Fawkes will prove Snape's loyalty to Dumbledore. She seems like the most impartial of all the characters in Harry Potter.

Old December 13th, 2005, 6:32 am
First Year

I believe, too, that either Harry will see Fawkes with Snape and finally realize that Snape was true to Dumbledore and "good" all along or that Snape will die somehow trying to protect Harry. Those are the only two reasons I can come up with that would show he is truly loyal to the good side and the only reasons I think Harry would finally know 100% who Snape is loyal to.

Old December 13th, 2005, 6:33 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenegrus
I don't think that's the point... I think we will discover, based on certain facts, why Dumbledore trusted Snape
I wasn't trying to say that we would never discover why Dumbledore trusted Snape, I was just saying that I doubt Dumbledore sat down and wrote an "in case I die" note saying why he trusted Snape. Fawkes would be a good guess, as would the penseive. I doubt it will come from the portrait either, but I've been wrong before.

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies