Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

How will Snape prove his loyalty?



 
 
Thread Tools
  #401  
Old July 9th, 2007, 8:33 pm
IchLiebeGeorge's Avatar
IchLiebeGeorge  Female.gif IchLiebeGeorge is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 4251 days
Location: NoVA
Age: 33
Posts: 464
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

I read that comment as Dumbledore not being able to say he knew about the Vow because if that got back to Voldemort Snape would lose his position as spy for the Order.


Sponsored Links
  #402  
Old July 9th, 2007, 8:39 pm
rhaiyne  Female.gif rhaiyne is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4127 days
Location: Wherever Fawkes is...
Age: 43
Posts: 30
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeGeorge View Post
I read that comment as Dumbledore not being able to say he knew about the Vow because if that got back to Voldemort Snape would lose his position as spy for the Order.
I agree. Dumbledore would not have been able to admit that he knew about the vow for fear of exposing Snape as one of the good guys.


  #403  
Old July 9th, 2007, 8:49 pm
galleon  Female.gif galleon is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4579 days
Location: Snape's office
Posts: 356
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

I think Snape proving his loyalty will have to be a two-fold event. Something that links past and present.

Harry has a ton of issues with Snape that run very deeply. Snape has treated Harry and his friends terribly and has been very unfair to them as their teacher at times. Harry believes Snape didn't care if he mastered occlumency or not. Harry believes he killed Dumbledore and believes he is working for the Dark Lord as a loyal Death Eater and spy. Harry knows Snape reported the prophecy to LV and feels Snape is responsible for the death of his parents. Harry also saw the way Snape treated Sirius and Lupin, who are like surrogate fathers to him. Nobody that Harry knows trusts Snape anymore and Snape is on the run from the Order.

Harry needs to find out just why DD trusted him and Snape will also have to do something in front of Harry that is very bold and tangible that will leave no doubt in Harry's mind that Snape is an ally.

Now what that is and how Harry's past with Snape can be rectified?... Well, it has to be huge and I have no idea how it will happen. My first guess would be if Snape cared for Lily, his patronus, his boggart, Snape revealing he planted the potions book to help Harry, Snape revealing he knew and can help destoy the horcruxes,etc. would be really nice starts.

I am not sure Snape can approach Harry out of the blue without Harry going for him, ready to kill. I have a feeling Harry finds some things out before Snape and him meet face to face once more. I feel it is bound to happen and it will be some emotion-filled confrontation.



Last edited by galleon; July 9th, 2007 at 8:53 pm.
  #404  
Old July 9th, 2007, 8:51 pm
AndrewWiggin  Male.gif AndrewWiggin is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4139 days
Location: Norway, (på sørlandet:P)
Age: 27
Posts: 63
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallowed View Post
He'll die. At Voldemort's hand defending Harry, or after performing some action to help Harry destroy Voldemort. Though of course if the Unbreakable Vow is still in effect he'll have to keep an eye on Draco's safety as well...
I'm with you on this one. This is how I imagine him proving his loyalty.


__________________

"I'm not the monster he wants me to be. So I'm neither man nor beast. I'm something new entirely. With my own set of rules. I'm Dexter, booh"
  #405  
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:59 am
Voldemorts8thHorcrux's Avatar
Voldemorts8thHorcrux  Female.gif Voldemorts8thHorcrux is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 4566 days
Location: just took over world,on throne
Age: 23
Posts: 5,710
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

he is going to save harry in the final battle!!!


__________________


Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)


  #406  
Old July 10th, 2007, 1:03 am
TreacleFudge  Female.gif TreacleFudge is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4172 days
Location: Whistling in the dark
Age: 24
Posts: 348
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleon View Post
I think Snape proving his loyalty will have to be a two-fold event. Something that links past and present.

Harry has a ton of issues with Snape that run very deeply. Snape has treated Harry and his friends terribly and has been very unfair to them as their teacher at times. Harry believes Snape didn't care if he mastered occlumency or not. Harry believes he killed Dumbledore and believes he is working for the Dark Lord as a loyal Death Eater and spy. Harry knows Snape reported the prophecy to LV and feels Snape is responsible for the death of his parents. Harry also saw the way Snape treated Sirius and Lupin, who are like surrogate fathers to him. Nobody that Harry knows trusts Snape anymore and Snape is on the run from the Order.

Harry needs to find out just why DD trusted him and Snape will also have to do something in front of Harry that is very bold and tangible that will leave no doubt in Harry's mind that Snape is an ally.

Now what that is and how Harry's past with Snape can be rectified?... Well, it has to be huge and I have no idea how it will happen. My first guess would be if Snape cared for Lily, his patronus, his boggart, Snape revealing he planted the potions book to help Harry, Snape revealing he knew and can help destoy the horcruxes,etc. would be really nice starts.

I am not sure Snape can approach Harry out of the blue without Harry going for him, ready to kill. I have a feeling Harry finds some things out before Snape and him meet face to face once more. I feel it is bound to happen and it will be some emotion-filled confrontation.
I agree on the fact that the act in which Snape redeems himself is going to be HUGE. What if, in the final battle, Snape tries to help Harry in some way-making Voldemort weaker-causing some sort of distraction-...


__________________
  #407  
Old July 10th, 2007, 1:07 am
Emily33  Female.gif Emily33 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4123 days
Posts: 7
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

I believe Snape is loyal to the Order not Voldy. I believe he'll die somehow by helping out Harry or the Order itself. I also agree that he is probably one of the most important characters in Harry Potter.


__________________
"Yeah, someone might slip dragon dung in it again, eh, Perce?" said Fred.
"That was a sample of fertilizer from Norway!" said Percy, going very red in the face. "It was nothing personal!""It was," Fred whispered to Harry as they got up from the table. "We sent it."
  #408  
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:38 am
Once_Bitten  Female.gif Once_Bitten is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4123 days
Location: In Your Dreams. As Usual.
Age: 24
Posts: 8
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

Even if Dumbledore knew that Snape was going to kill him then why does the book say:

'...hatred and revulsion etched into his face"

or something along those lines. I've been thinking of a new theory that sorta makes sense, though. What if it was hatred and revulsion etc... for Dumbledorefor making him do this? I don't know, when I think of that I get the idea there is something we're missing there. Well, that's my opinion. I just re-read Spinner's End, and I'm having trouble deciding on if he's good or evil.
Maybe he'll help Harry and Voldy'll kill him or summat?


__________________
  #409  
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:36 pm
Badgers_Rule  Male.gif Badgers_Rule is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4687 days
Location: Badger Country
Posts: 431
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

Snape is going to save one of the trios lives, in doing so he might end up dying but he will save somebodies life.


  #410  
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:11 pm
patronus61592  Female.gif patronus61592 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4129 days
Location: U.S.
Age: 26
Posts: 4
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

A theory that I definitely agree with that my cousin told me about last night:

Snape and Lily were in love/Snape loved Lily.

Dumbledore and Dumbledore alone knew this, and that is why he always trusted Snape. However, he didn't want to tell anyone about that. It would be embarrassing for Snape and probably devastating for Harry.

This explains why Snape has a burning hate for James (on top of other mean things James did to him). It also explains why he still hates Harry.

If Snape somehow proved that he was in love with Lily it would help prove he was good. If Snape loved Lily, he would never have betrayed her and James knowingly. This was the "terrible mistake" that Dumbledore made - if Snape had known the prophecy was about the son of a woman he loved, he would never have told Voldemort about it.

What do you think of this theory?


  #411  
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:19 pm
NoNEWTS  Male.gif NoNEWTS is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4841 days
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 369
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

Guess #1) He will kill Nagini for Harry.
Guess #2) He could lead Harry to Voldemort's hideout for the final battle and help him.


  #412  
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:26 pm
flimseycauldron's Avatar
flimseycauldron  Female.gif flimseycauldron is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 4261 days
Location: New England
Posts: 3,553
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbobs View Post
There are two dominating theories about Severus Snape. Specifically, will he and if so how will he, prove his loyalty to Harry and the Order?
Well, I am not a good Snape supporter. If, however, he is good it might be best to brace yourself for some unpleasantness. Even if there was such information from Dumbledore and his death that "exonerates" Snape he is in a no win situation. Nobody will believe it and even if they do they will think that Dumbledore went round the bend or made a foolish man's mistake in thinking tht Snape's life was more valuable than his own in the fight against Voldemort. I believe that Harry, the DA, the OoTP, the ministry and others, even if they trust him it will not be the trust that one gains from being a good person. In effect it will still be a trust born of Dumbledore and not of Snape's own actions, no matter how noble they may be. For Snape there may never be exoneration, or redemption, at least in the eyes of the wizarding world. What ever good deed he performs will probably go unnoticed or fall under the catorgory of rough justice. Especially on Harry's part. There may be some vindication on the reader's part but I do not believe that in the context of the story there will be much vindication. Snape may end up being an unsung anti-hero.


__________________
  #413  
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:34 pm
dave602  Male.gif dave602 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4840 days
Location: Glasgow
Age: 54
Posts: 27
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

I think he has already made an unbreakable vow to protect harry(and he will), long before he came to hogwarts, and by the end of the 7th book he will turn out to be the kind of guy harry respects but doesn't like too much.


__________________
......for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
  #414  
Old July 12th, 2007, 3:38 am
McKinnon02  Female.gif McKinnon02 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5806 days
Location: End of Time, USA
Age: 33
Posts: 1,124
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

It may be that he carries out his double agent role to the end, and we never *really* find out what Snape believed/who he supported. He strikes me as the type of character who Jo could play that angle with forever.


__________________
I used to have trouble finishing things, but now I
If I get back before I find myself, keep me here.
American Idiot: Simon says I stink!
  #415  
Old July 12th, 2007, 6:00 am
daniel2099  Male.gif daniel2099 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4959 days
Posts: 545
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

to who
as the one how killed the only one lv feared he becomes a liablity and protenale theat to lv

as any thing he says will not bebelived by the ootp or da

no one will trust snape on ether side and nothing he does will change that


  #416  
Old July 12th, 2007, 6:07 am
galleon  Female.gif galleon is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4579 days
Location: Snape's office
Posts: 356
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

I always thought that too.

LV is spiteful and vindictive. He hates how Harry keeps getting away from him and makes him look bad.

Snape just killed the only one lV ever feared and has done what LV could never do --- not even at the ministry duel.

I don't think LV will want Snape around if he views him as a potenital threat.


  #417  
Old July 12th, 2007, 8:04 am
Sevstrueluve  Female.gif Sevstrueluve is offline
Student
 
Joined: 4346 days
Location: The dungeons
Posts: 112
Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patronus61592 View Post
A theory that I definitely agree with that my cousin told me about last night:

Snape and Lily were in love/Snape loved Lily.

Dumbledore and Dumbledore alone knew this, and that is why he always trusted Snape. However, he didn't want to tell anyone about that. It would be embarrassing for Snape and probably devastating for Harry.

This explains why Snape has a burning hate for James (on top of other mean things James did to him). It also explains why he still hates Harry.

If Snape somehow proved that he was in love with Lily it would help prove he was good. If Snape loved Lily, he would never have betrayed her and James knowingly. This was the "terrible mistake" that Dumbledore made - if Snape had known the prophecy was about the son of a woman he loved, he would never have told Voldemort about it.

What do you think of this theory?
I agree with you that Severus and Lily were in luve. That Severus really luved her. All throughout the books they have been talking about real luve and obsessive luve.
I wouldn't be surprised that the level of commitment was very deep and intense. Perhaps they were close to engagement ? But, Severus was fascinated with the Dark Arts.
After all, Sirius Black said that Snape came to Hogwarts in possession of Dark Arts knowledge when he was a first year. Perhaps that fascination drove a wedge in their relationship? Perhaps Lily told him he had to make a choice, her or the Dark Arts? We, the readers know he chose the Dark Arts. Perhaps that drove Lily Evans into the arms of James Potter? When Lily chose James over him, Severus was devastated. Thus, he turned to the Dark Side. If he had chosen the only woman he ever luved, Harry would have been his, should have been his child. Since the boy is Lily's son, because he should have been his child, Severus feels the need to protect him.
Perhaps Harry takes another little trip through the Potions Master's pensieve? After all at the end of HBP Severus flees with Draco, leaving all his earthly possessions back down in the comfort of the dungeons. Or perhaps it's the Headmaster's pensieve that he delves into ? After all, no one knows if Albus Dumbledore left a will behind, bequeathing his possessions. Could Harry possibly inherit the late Headmaster's pensieve ? And/or Godric Gryffindor's sword ?
In other words, his memories about Harry's mother will probably do the convincing for him.
I do want to clarify one thing, Severus Snape was not on the Order's side, nor on the Dark Side. He was working for the late Headmaster Albus Dumbledore. I believe that the Potions Master was loyal only to the Headmaster. I also believe that he knows about the horcruxes. After all, why else would the Headmaster ask Harry to fetch only Severus in The Lightning Struck Tower, Chapter 27, HBP, when they came back after a horcrux hunt ? I believe that the Potions Master will have a hand in their destruction. And will probably help in the defeat of the-one-who-thinks-he-is-immortal.


 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:02 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.