Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

How will Snape prove his loyalty?

Old December 13th, 2005, 7:54 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: How will Snape prove his loyalty?

Check out this theory. I am in awe!

(hopefully I can do the link right...it's near the bottom of the page, by Cryoz)

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=79218&page=8

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:03 pm
Sixth Year

Snape will prove his loyalty through Fawkes. I am sure he will be at Snapes side and once harry see that Fawlkes is with him then he will know that Snape is good.

i have heard this theory and I have posted this somewhere else but here it goes: what if at Spinners end that Snape was actually Dumbledore with the help of Polyjuice potion and just lets say that Snape was wormtail. That would mean that D would have made the vow with Cissy not snape and of corse he would not keep up the vow so he would die anyway. So Snape killed D to make his loyalty to Voldie tight (or so Voldie seems to think so) and the plan goes on to defete Voldie after Dumbledores death.

What do you think?

Old December 27th, 2005, 8:58 am
Fifth Year

I don't know how Snape would prove his loyalty, but it better be solid gold evidence. Frankly, I'm still debating which side Snape is on. He is basically on his own side. He can pick either one at any time is seems like. Lucky man.

Here lies Dobby, a free elf.

"That wand's more trouble than it's worth, and quite honestly, I've had enough trouble for a lifetime."
Old December 27th, 2005, 4:59 pm
Fourth Year

Well if he's Voldemorts man, then he's done a pretty good job already, but i think his loyalty has always been with Dumbledore.
I dont think there is a "good" side and a "bad" side to Snape. There's Voldemort and Dumbledore. In some ways he is working for himself or to suit his own interests. He has never, i dont think, seen his fellow order members or fellow death eaters as his equals or partners working towards the same goal. Its him loyal to one man, who i think is Dumbledore.

I think he's going to have ALOT LOT of trouble showing Harry his true feelings and loyalty. Someone else has pointed out that Snape has saved Harry's life/ helped harry out in the past, but Harry has never seen it himself/ recognised that without Dumbledore or Hermione telling him first. I think Snape will need more than just words to convince Harry and the order members, in contrast to what Snape did to convince Narcissa and Bellatrix he was still loyal to Voldemort. I think something will happen where Harry will recognise and first-hand where Snapes true loyalties lie, though i REALLY hope it doesnt go as far as Snape giving up his life for Harry, though i have a feeling it might.

Ranma & Akane

I Am Mrs. Draco Malfoy
Old December 27th, 2005, 5:07 pm
Fourth Year

I was thinking that maybe some kind of connection between Snape and phoenixes might help to prove that Snape is on Dumbledore’s side. I think that Snape’s patronus could have changed into a phoenix after Dumbledore’s death, or maybe Fawkes could somehow come to help to prove his loyalties. Maybe Snape will be injured at some point, and Fawkes will heal him, or something like that.

Or maybe Snape will just protect Harry and attack the Death Eaters so that Harry can see it, maybe that would be enough to convince Harry that Snape is on the Order’s side.

Old December 27th, 2005, 8:12 pm
Sixth Year

I like the idea of Snape's patronus changing into a Pheonix alot But i do feel that fawkes will be at Snape's side and thats how Harry will know.

Old January 6th, 2006, 4:42 am
Fourth Year

It seems like he did leave the 'will' and if he left it to Snape then Snape has prooved his loyalty already (though it might not'v been noticed yet) by somehow delivering Dumbledore's watch to the Weasley's and having them pass it on to Ron for his birthday.

Old February 18th, 2006, 1:15 am
Fourth Year

If Snape is good, I think that he will kill a few big time Voldemort supporters (such as Bellatrix Lestrange, Lucious Malfoy, etc.). I personally think he is evil though.

Sirius died for a reason

The wisest men follow their own direction. - Euripides

Share your favorite quote: Favorite Quote
Muggle Pants Potter Puppets Song

Help Links
Search Engine | CoS Rules | Hogsmeade Review Guidelines | CoS Forums Staff | Signature Content Policy | Search Engine Tutorial
Old February 18th, 2006, 5:45 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusSpells
If Snape is good, I think that he will kill a few big time Voldemort supporters (such as Bellatrix Lestrange, Lucious Malfoy, etc.).
Somehow, I don't see Snape randomly killing Lucius if he had the chance unless he was threatened first...

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible." |Catcher in the Rye

Siggy image from LA 1960s & Avatar made by Makani|*PLEASE DO NOT TAKE*
Old February 18th, 2006, 6:12 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I think a good way to have Snape's loyalty to Dumbledore proven would be for Fawkes to join Snape's side, especially if a member of the Order was confronting Snape, or if Snape was in a sticky situation. Fawkes comes to people who have shown great loyalty to Dumbledore, like Harry did in the Chamber back in CoS.

Another way for Snape to show his loyalty to the Order and to Dumbledore is for Snape to sacrifice himself for Harry or another memember of the Order.

Or perhaps Harry will stumble upon one of Dumbledore's old memories showing the reason why he trusts Snape, perhaps giving more reasons in the pensieve, and showing Harry why Snape is a good guy after all.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

-Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken
Old February 18th, 2006, 8:02 am
First Year

I believe that Dumbledore suspected a spy in the order, and for obvious reasons only told Snape. That's why if it came down to it Dumbledore would have to die to maintain Snapes cover(and protect Draco). It is possible Harry might end up trusting the real spy and Snape will have to intervene. Then Harry might be forced to choose who to trust and maybe Snape himself will have to tell Harry the real reason Dumbledore trusts him. After all I can't count the times Harry asked Dumbledore, and Dumbledore refused to anwser him. Even when Harry confronted Dumbledore there seemed to be more to tell...... Any way just another theory to add to the list.

Old February 18th, 2006, 11:42 am
Third Year

Quote:
Suggestions to date:

Snape had made a UV with Dumbledore. Could be. I agree with the poster who said Dumbledore would never force anyone to make such a Vow. But he might permit a volunteer to do so.

A Pensieve memory (sure, could be one in a bottle somewhere).

Dumbledore's portrait. Sure, it could share information.

Snape could sacrifice himself for the cause. Yes, that should work.

Other ideas I've had or seen elsewhere:

Snape's Patronus changes to a Phoenix (which WAS the form of Dumbledore's...)

Fawkes is seen hanging around with Snape. (As we learned from CoS, he would only come to the aid of someone genuinely loyal to Dumbledore...)

Snape provides invaluable information to Harry (say, Horcrux locations...) This could be done anonymously, and ties in a bit with the previous 2 suggestions. As Harry would trust information he got from a Phoenix patronus or a letter carried by Fawkes.

If it was set up in advance, Dumbledore could have left a letter exonerating Snape.

Dumbledore could still be alive...
I wanted to say the same thing, in the same way, but you saved me the time! I think you laid it all out on the table pretty good here. These are all valid ways in which Snape can directly (or indirectly) prove his loyaty. I am VERY surprised no one quoted you, as you seem to have covered it all

I do like the idea of Fawkes having something to do with Snape proving himself---which begs the question---did Fawkes leave his home (hogwarts), of many years, because Dumbledore died, or because he had to be with Snape (or follow him?)

Yes,...Fawkes, self-sacrifice, and the pensieve seem lie our best bets for finding out Snape's true intentions.

Quote:
I believe that Dumbledore suspected a spy in the order, and for obvious reasons only told Snape. That's why if it came down to it Dumbledore would have to die to maintain Snapes cover(and protect Draco). It is possible Harry might end up trusting the real spy and Snape will have to intervene. Then Harry might be forced to choose who to trust and maybe Snape himself will have to tell Harry the real reason Dumbledore trusts him. After all I can't count the times Harry asked Dumbledore, and Dumbledore refused to anwser him. Even when Harry confronted Dumbledore there seemed to be more to tell...... Any way just another theory to add to the list.
That's excellent! There have been many theories floating around that Snape isn't/wasn't the true spy within the Order...and also another way (a brilliant one, at that) that could be used to prove Snape's loyalty to the Order.

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends"

Old February 18th, 2006, 3:29 pm
Second Year

I agree with that. Snape couldn't have been the true spy. To much has happened in the books that has made Snape out to be bad, therefore he is good. it kind of a rule of thumb

Old February 18th, 2006, 5:00 pm
Second Year

There are many arguements about the true motives of this charactor. I believe he was loyal to Dumbledore. Providing he is good, he will return and save Harry from some life threatening event. His true colours will be shown and he will be, as he has been, an important charactor to the end of the series.

Old February 18th, 2006, 7:40 pm
Second Year

I think it is going to come down to who catches up with him first...be it a member of the Order, or Harry himself.

Lupin or McGonagall- He convinces them through Dumbledore's Unbreakable Vow, e.g. Dumbledore's hand and shows them some sort of Dumbledore-endorsed proof, i.e. a Pensieve memory or some such stuff.

Harry- He lets Harry win...but does anyone else get the feeling JK will leave both Harry and ourselves hanging until the last possible moment? She will hold onto the tension and uncertainty until one of the last chapters?

Image removed - only one allowed. Stupid noob! This is why you can't have nice things.
Old February 18th, 2006, 8:15 pm
Third Year

My gut tells me Snape is loyal to Dumbledore, even though my logic begs me to believe otherwise. Short of either Snape dying to save Harry or someone from the Order, I think it will be near impossible to convince ANYONE he is not on Voldemort's side unless Dumbledore really is not dead and he (Dumbledore)returns at some point in Book 7 explaining the illusion of his death he created with Snape and why (and I haven't personally ruled that out as being plausible).

If I were Harry, and I knew how much Snape hated my father and his friends in school, knew how badly Snape had treated me when I was his student, learned how he'd been the one to tell Voldemort of the prophecy that led to my parents' death and actually saw him kill the greatest wizard in the world (who also happened to be the nearest thing to family I had left), there would be ABSOLUTELY NOTHING anyone (short of Dumbledore still alive) could tell me that would make me believe Snape wasn't evil. Even if Snape sacrificed himself to save me in the end, I'd probably be inclined to think it was a sudden onset of conscience and not that he'd been good all along.

The pensieve seems a good way of Harry seeing the truth about Snape if Dumbledore's left the right memory, but as Slughorn proved, memories can be altered...and I think Snape is a better wizard (skills) than Slughorn, so he might be able to alter a memory less noticeably.

Fawkes aligning himself with Snape would be a better indication to me than the pensieve, but I'd have to wonder if either (1) animals could be controlled by a powerful wizard to act in a way they wouldn't choose to on their own, or (2) might Fawkes be reacting to Dumbledore's faith in Snape, rather than Snape's actual loyalty to Dumbledore? Again, if I were in Harry's shoes, the proof would have to be extraordinary for me to ever think Snape was one of the good guys.

On the other hand, as readers, we see things Harry probably has overlooked. We saw him trying to protect Harry while Quirrell was cursing the broom. We saw him give what may have been some protection to Harry against Sirius, the werewolf and the dementors, we know he alerted the Order to Harry and the others being at the Ministry, and we saw various occasions in HBP where Snape could have done Harry in had he wanted to...killing Harry wouldn't have blown his cover any worse than killing Dumbledore. But I got the sense as they were fighting after the tower scene that Snape was still teaching Harry how to fight right up to the moment he disapparated after Buckbeak's attack. Harry merely saw it as Snape taunting him because Harry wants to think the worst of Snape.

Old February 18th, 2006, 10:44 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMollywobbles
On the other hand, as readers, we see things Harry probably has overlooked. We saw him trying to protect Harry while Quirrell was cursing the broom. We saw him give what may have been some protection to Harry against Sirius, the werewolf and the dementors, we know he alerted the Order to Harry and the others being at the Ministry, and we saw various occasions in HBP where Snape could have done Harry in had he wanted to...killing Harry wouldn't have blown his cover any worse than killing Dumbledore. But I got the sense as they were fighting after the tower scene that Snape was still teaching Harry how to fight right up to the moment he disapparated after Buckbeak's attack. Harry merely saw it as Snape taunting him because Harry wants to think the worst of Snape.
In addition to all these things that Harry knows Snape did...in HBP Harry himself may have had an experience that will help him to understand Snape in Book 7. (I think he's on the good side...even my logic is leaning that way!)

Namely, the trip to the Cave with Dumbledore. Harry fed it to Dumbledore because Dumbledore ordered him to, and Harry could see the necessity of this action. Suppose Harry were to learn that the potion included a poison on which no antidote would work, and one of the poisons that cannot be cured with a bezoar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Apache
Harry- He lets Harry win...but does anyone else get the feeling JK will leave both Harry and ourselves hanging until the last possible moment? She will hold onto the tension and uncertainty until one of the last chapters?
I agree she will put off resolving the Snape question until close to the end, but not hte very end. The climax, I would predict, will be the final confrontation of Harry and Voldemort. And Snape will be straightened out in whatever way before that scene ends (if not before it even starts).

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old February 19th, 2006, 12:01 am
Second Year

Ok, honestly, no offense to J.K. Rowling, but I don't think she's clever enough to make such a huge twist in the books like that. I mean, there was always that speculation of Snape possibly being evil throughout all the books. There were hints here and there throughout the series that Snape wasn't exactly the nicest guy in the world. And I saw HBP as proof that Snape really was on Voldemort's side all along. As hard as it is to accept the fact that Dumbledore was wrong for once, I think he was. So from books 1-5, Dumbledore trusted Snape, Harry distrusted Snape, and Harry was proved to be right all along in book 6. That's how I see it. I could definitely be wrong, but that what I think.

If J.K. writes it so that it turns out Snape is on the Order's side, and that Dumbledore and Snape did an unbreakable vow, then I'd be very, very shocked. Rowling's writing isn't that sharp. I mean, her story...wow. It's freakin' awesome, don't get me wrong. But after reading HBP for a second time I think she pretty much shoved in your face that SNAPE IS EVIL!!

www.LocksOfLove.org
Old February 19th, 2006, 1:23 am
Second Year

I think that he'll probably have a memory or something like that.

But I am really interested to find out what Harry will do to Snape when he meets Snape for the first time after he killed Dumbledore.

I'll love him to death!
Thanks to beki14 for the fab sig!
Old February 19th, 2006, 1:40 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMuggle
You clarified it did you? So I s'pose Jo told you and no-one else? Your comment is so unreasonable and short sighted I just don't know where to begin without sounding like I'm attacking.

There are many many many reasons to belive Snape is good - more reasons, infact, than there are to believe he is actually bad. You'll find most of them in the Chamber of Secrets Forums I'm sure. Until book 7 both theories are open.
The only people who think there is more evidence to support a good Snape theory are those who think he is good. People who think he is evil-such as myself-find there is overwhelming evidence that points to his guilt.

I TRUST HARRY POTTER

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies