Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

The Veil: What do you think its like?

Old November 24th, 2005, 9:42 am
First Year

The Veil: What do you think its like?

What do you guys think about the Veil? What do you think they do just hover all day waiting for LV to be defeated?

I have mixed opinions on this one.

She missed him, not enough to want him back but enough to hurt <|3

So just live. Have wonderful times and make mistakes.
But never second-guess where you've been,
where you are, and most of all, where you're going.
-- Sex and the City

Last edited by Nicole; May 27th, 2007 at 4:21 pm. Reason: removed 'note to mods'
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2005, 1:19 am
Hermi711

The Veil's an archway, and when you walk through it, you can't get out.
I think it's like a Black Hole. There's a way in, but no way out.
It might be a path to another dimension... I doubt it though.
They should get some more people into the Ministry of Magic at the Department of Mysteries, cause i think that it's one of the most important offices, if you could call it an office...

Old November 27th, 2005, 5:30 am
Sixth Year

This is the common room.

Old November 27th, 2005, 5:35 am
First Year

I find it quit mysterious, and no matter what anyone says i really dont think that when sirius went through it he died. I think he just went somewhere. I just have no idea where whatsoever.

Old November 27th, 2005, 5:52 am
First Year

I was really confused at the veil part...so i didnt know what to think. But i dont think he died. But we shall see...hopefully

"neither can live while the other survives"
Old November 27th, 2005, 6:20 am
First Year

I think the veil represented the gateway to the afterlife.....at least, I hope it did. It'd be horrible to imagine Sirius floating around in another dimension, trapped between life and death.

Old November 27th, 2005, 6:45 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermi711
It might be a path to another dimension... I doubt it though.
They should get some more people into the Ministry of Magic at the Department of Mysteries, cause i think that it's one of the most important offices, if you could call it an office...
Or .... It could lead to Lord Voldemort's lair ...

Old November 27th, 2005, 8:42 am
Third Year

Quote:
It might be a path to another dimension... I doubt it though

thats what i think. thats why i think that whoever goes through the veil dont die but since they can never get out there as good as dead.

"Not this brave at night, are you?" sneered Dudley.
"This is night, Diddykins. That's what we call it when it goes all dark like this."

Malfoy: "Who blacked your eye, Granger? I want to send them flowers."

Look how young they were then, Compared to now *rupert=hot*
Old November 27th, 2005, 8:51 am
Banned

calm down sweetjazz16, just cuz hes got the same general idea no need to claim it as your own. We are meant to be friends on here not trying to make aruguements

Old November 27th, 2005, 2:34 pm
Fourth Year

Yes, I think it's a gateway where you can walk amongst the dead in the afterlife but you're still living. There's no way out.

"Everything in this room is eatible, even I'm eatible. But that, dear children, is called cannibalism and is frowned upon in most societies."
Old November 27th, 2005, 2:46 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I think the veil may be important in book 7. If you think about the rest of the room - set up like lecture room or meeting room or something, I wonder if Unspeakables go there to try to talk to the dead? Harry could hear them behind the veil - so could Luna.
Just a thought

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!
Old November 27th, 2005, 3:51 pm
Fourth Year

What would happen if you dropped a rope down through the other side of the veil? Could you pull Sirius back? Please!!!

SPLISH SPLASH HARRY'S TAKING' A BATH!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"What are you doing, Potter?" said Snape coldly as ever, as he strode over to the four of them.
"I'm trying to decide what curse to use on Malfoy, sir," said Harry fiercely.
Old November 27th, 2005, 4:02 pm
Second Year

I think there are a lot of older threads on this topic. Here is one of the more recent ones. The Veil, The Key?

Old November 27th, 2005, 4:16 pm
First Year

this may be inaccurate but in OotP doesnt harry hear voices behind a veil, and sirius fell through a veil.. so couldnt sirius still speak to harry using the veil as a communication device?

Harajuku Girl: A Fatal Attraction to Cuteness
|| XanGeR // cB// SconeX||
Old November 27th, 2005, 6:22 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyWeasly
I think the veil may be important in book 7. If you think about the rest of the room - set up like lecture room or meeting room or something, I wonder if Unspeakables go there to try to talk to the dead?
that might be BIT far-fetched, but i agree it is very intriguing that it was set up like a lecture theatre or similar. this is definately unfinished business in the DoM, what with the locked room and all that. maybe even if they go in just to look at the veil again and it gives someone an idea, or they discover a clue. what was the veil hanging from btw? i haven't got my copy with me, but i have an image of a wooden archway with carvings on it. might just be me though...

Old November 27th, 2005, 7:48 pm
Fourth Year

I imagined a stone archway, so old it's crumbling slightly. I don't think there's anyway to bring Sirius back though, sadly.

"Everything in this room is eatible, even I'm eatible. But that, dear children, is called cannibalism and is frowned upon in most societies."
Old November 28th, 2005, 4:44 am
Second Year

I have a bunch of ideas about the veil. (Since it seems like this thread is being allowed to stay open, I guess I can post here, right? ) What if you sent a patronus through the veil? You know how The Order communicates with patronuses? What if Harry learned to do that and he sent a message to Sirius? I suppose Sirius wouldn't be able to hold a wand and answer back though.

I also wondered if you could like peek into the veil but not actually go through it. There has to be a way to see whats in there.

Lupin appeared to know that Sirius was dead when he fell through the veil. Maybe Harry could ask him about what he knows about the veil. Lupin could possibly have at least a slight idea about what the veil is used for. He knows about Defense Against the Dark Arts and stuff, and the veil is a pretty Dark object.

Old November 28th, 2005, 11:46 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlasEarWax
Lupin appeared to know that Sirius was dead when he fell through the veil. Maybe Harry could ask him about what he knows about the veil. Lupin could possibly have at least a slight idea about what the veil is used for. He knows about Defense Against the Dark Arts and stuff, and the veil is a pretty Dark object.
true. i'm surprised how Harry hasn't tried to get some more info out of Lupin on it. but then again the whole thing has probably been too painful for him to want to discuss. maybe in book 7...
i must say, i'm not interested in this because i think we can get Sirius back. but rather that the whole thing was so mysterious and downright weird i'll go insane if JKR doesn't fill us in on the DoM in book 7!

Old November 28th, 2005, 3:00 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Going through the Veil sends you to the realm of the dead--the underworld, as it's called in a lot of cultures. Based on Lupin's immediate reaction (as well as a lot of mythology), Sirius is dead. No one tried to stop Lupin from stopping Harry; the reactions of everyone else back up the idea that Sirius is dead. Dumbledore says so (and takes responsibility) when talking to Harry about it afterwards (OotP 825, American hardback).

I think we may see Sirius in Book 7 if Harry takes a (properly protected) trip there. He may be Harry's guide--which may be why Jo said he "had to die." The Patronus idea is interesting too.

Old November 28th, 2005, 4:41 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewoman
Going through the Veil sends you to the realm of the dead--the underworld, as it's called in a lot of cultures. Based on Lupin's immediate reaction (as well as a lot of mythology), Sirius is dead. No one tried to stop Lupin from stopping Harry; the reactions of everyone else back up the idea that Sirius is dead. Dumbledore says so (and takes responsibility) when talking to Harry about it afterwards (OotP 825, American hardback).

I think we may see Sirius in Book 7 if Harry takes a (properly protected) trip there. He may be Harry's guide--which may be why Jo said he "had to die." The Patronus idea is interesting too.
I doubt there's such a thing as a properly protected trip there - the veil is mearly a physical manifestation of the mystery of death, and there's nothing that can can protect against that. I suspect the reason it is there though is that unspeakables are trying to devise one but as yet have not succeeded.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies