Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

The Veil: What do you think its like?

Old June 28th, 2007, 7:46 am
First Year

Re: The Veil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPensieve View Post
I am sorry if this has already been discussed, but i am having a difficult time understanding the veil in the department of mysteries. please dont tell me to re-read book 5 because i have twice. i do understand that harry and luna heard voices behind it and serious dissappeared behind it after he was killed. please help me understand what it looks like and what exactly it is.
It states that the DOM has been trying to learn about death. The room the Veil was in was set up like an stadium... the Veil was at the bottom with stadium seating circled around it. I think that it is death that is found in the Veil... that if you cross through it, you cant get back out... that you die... but I think that is also where the DOM is trying to learn about death... maybe its a gateway allowing the dead to speak to the living... and in return... the living to speak to the dead...

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2007, 4:56 pm
Third Year

Re: The Veil: What do you think its like?

Do you guys think that the Dementors place the souls they suck out of a person, into the veil?
Suely the Dementors don't keep the souls inside them, souls can be happy and cheerful, which is dangerous to a Dementor. Also maybe this is why the veil is kept in the DoM

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."
- PeerlessKid -
Old August 8th, 2007, 6:41 pm
Third Year

I get what you mean and even i thought that, but how will it get through into the veil?
once the dementors have sucked the happiness out of you , i don't thnk the sould will be happ and cheerful.
And before you asked whether we could get the souls back from the veil, nice idea , but how?
Someone will have to go in to get it out, and that won't work through the veil.

Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow, Like fragile tiny shells, Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Proud member of OFINOA (obsessed fans in need of Avatar)

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 9th, 2007, 2:11 am
Third Year

I think the veil is commplet darkness. It's nothing. It's like flooting.

Old August 9th, 2007, 3:31 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace_Forever View Post
I get what you mean and even i thought that, but how will it get through into the veil?
once the dementors have sucked the happiness out of you , i don't thnk the sould will be happ and cheerful.
And before you asked whether we could get the souls back from the veil, nice idea , but how?
Someone will have to go in to get it out, and that won't work through the veil.
Thanks mate.
Well that's the thing I'm not sure if you can get the souls back out, I'm thinking we would get the anwser in the 7th book.
You know you said that the souls wouldn't be happy once they've been taken out.. leads me to another theory. You think that's how Dementors are made? The lost souls taken out from people. I dont think the Dementors hold on onto them, think they convert them into more Dementors?
Okay this is completely going agaisnt my placing them into the veil theory now, but I like the converting into more Dementors one more now

"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."
- PeerlessKid -
Old August 9th, 2007, 4:28 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerlessKid View Post
Thanks mate.
Well that's the thing I'm not sure if you can get the souls back out, I'm thinking we would get the anwser in the 7th book.
You know you said that the souls wouldn't be happy once they've been taken out.. leads me to another theory. You think that's how Dementors are made? The lost souls taken out from people. I dont think the Dementors hold on onto them, think they convert them into more Dementors?
Okay this is completely going agaisnt my placing them into the veil theory now, but I like the converting into more Dementors one more now
yh, actually i always wondered how Dementors were made, maybe they could be the soul the dementors themselves sucked out?? Well, theres no clue about this in the previous books, i guess this can be agood theory. But Dementors want to suck out happiness, its what they feed on right, so why souls want to do that to other people if it happened to them?

Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow, Like fragile tiny shells, Drifting in the foam.

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 9th, 2007, 4:48 pm
Third Year

Quote:
yh, actually i always wondered how Dementors were made, maybe they could be the soul the dementors themselves sucked out?? Well, theres no clue about this in the previous books, i guess this can be agood theory. But Dementors want to suck out happiness, its what they feed on right, so why souls want to do that to other people if it happened to them?
Well we've never been told that the Dementors suck out the happiness from a person. They make the person feel like they will never ever be happy again. If the Dementors sucked out the happiness, then theoretically they can never return to being happy again. Which we know is not what happens
We know that the Dementors suck out the soul of a person. After being around the Dementor long enough for it be able to close in on you, and perform the kiss, which btw according to when they were trying to take Siruis's soul, takes a while. Would the soul be happiness-less? by then?

- PeerlessKid -
Old August 10th, 2007, 1:00 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerlessKid View Post
Well we've never been told that the Dementors suck out the happiness from a person. They make the person feel like they will never ever be happy again. If the Dementors sucked out the happiness, then theoretically they can never return to being happy again. Which we know is not what happens
We know that the Dementors suck out the soul of a person. After being around the Dementor long enough for it be able to close in on you, and perform the kiss, which btw according to when they were trying to take Siruis's soul, takes a while. Would the soul be happiness-less? by then?
ohhh i get what you mean, i used the wrong word sorry...yes, the soul would be happiness-less by then. OK, so how do you think the souls sucked out would be converted into dementors?

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 10th, 2007, 4:14 am
First Year

Well, I have read the Deathly Hallows and Sirius turned into a ghost and said that is was accuatly quite peaceful and felt like he was very tired. He said that he would like to do it again. Before I knew that, I would have thought the same as being demented ^.^

EVERYBODY:VOTE FOR LUNA/DOBBY HERE!
Come on...you know you wanna! Gurdyroots, Nargles, Funny sock day! You know you wanna! Vote Luna/Dobby!
Luna/Dobby's Spotlight Thread: Socks+Serenity!!!
(sig pic made by Rell)
Old August 14th, 2007, 4:00 pm
First Year

^I think this place is still a spoiler-free area.... -_-

Btw only Harry and Luna-who've seen someone dead-can hear voices from the veil, the others can't.
What does this means?

Old August 24th, 2007, 4:54 pm
Animaga terpsichore

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggleborn168 View Post
Well, I have read the Deathly Hallows and Sirius turned into a ghost and said that is was accuatly quite peaceful and felt like he was very tired. He said that he would like to do it again. Before I knew that, I would have thought the same as being demented ^.^
No DH discussions here.

For me, I think that beyond the veil its a very dark place, but if you fall behind it, maybe you see others that have died also.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old August 24th, 2007, 5:35 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividcolour View Post
Btw only Harry and Luna-who've seen someone dead-can hear voices from the veil, the others can't.
What does this means?
I think Ginny can hear them aswell.

Old August 26th, 2007, 6:45 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconvinced View Post
I think Ginny can hear them aswell.
Who did Ginny see die?

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 26th, 2007, 9:33 pm
Second Year

The veil just seems like some sort of portal to the afterlife, except it's only one way of course.

What get's me is why would something like that even exist? Why would there be a portal like that when..Well..if you wanted to get to the afterlife you'd just have to well..die.

Gryffindor Till The End
Old August 26th, 2007, 9:52 pm
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
The veil just seems like some sort of portal to the afterlife, except it's only one way of course.

What get's me is why would something like that even exist? Why would there be a portal like that when..Well..if you wanted to get to the afterlife you'd just have to well..die.
Perhaps for a quick, painless death?

To be honest, I don't think she really thought much about why it was there, or what it was for. I think it was purely symbolic, and a means for Sirius to die. There are a couple of quotes from the books (I know one from DH, but if this is still spoiler free, I'll refrain from mentioning it) where the world 'veil' is used to speak of death.

Also, All Saints' Day, the day after Halloween, is the day when the "veil between the world of the dead and the living is thinnest". So the word 'veil' is commonly used to represent the barrier between the living and the dead.

I think it was Jo's way of speaking of the afterlife in a more concrete, symbolic way. I believe she intended it to remain a mystery, along with the "love room".

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:29 pm
Third Year

Quote:
ohhh i get what you mean, i used the wrong word sorry...yes, the soul would be happiness-less by then. OK, so how do you think the souls sucked out would be converted into dementors?
Well I dont really know how it happens, but I'm thinking after the Dementors suck out the soul of the person surley they don't keep it in within themselves would they? I think they either place those souls into the veils, or turn them into dementors... somehow... (place your own thoughts into how it would happen )

- PeerlessKid -
Old August 31st, 2007, 9:13 pm
Third Year

Maybe there's "Convert the sucked souls into dementors" land just kidding, sorry. Anyway, if it did happen i think the dementor will give some of itself to the soul so it would become how it has? Like when it sucks the soul, the soul goes inside it, so while its inside the dementor, it (the soul) would get something of the dementor and attach it to itself (the soul) and emerge out as a dementor. Sorry, if you got confused, i hope you get what i mean

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 31st, 2007, 9:49 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Maybe there's "Convert the sucked souls into dementors" land just kidding, sorry. Anyway, if it did happen i think the dementor will give some of itself to the soul so it would become how it has? Like when it sucks the soul, the soul goes inside it, so while its inside the dementor, it (the soul) would get something of the dementor and attach it to itself (the soul) and emerge out as a dementor. Sorry, if you got confused, i hope you get what i mean
Actually you know what I had to read it twice to really understand it. Nowwww that I get it ... ... yh who knows what happens to the soul inside, it just hangs out and 'chills' in there init

- PeerlessKid -

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies