Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

The Veil: What do you think its like?

Old January 10th, 2006, 2:12 pm
First Year

Re: Questions about the Veil

I really can't answer...because you see, JKR gave so few hints...she should tell more....

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2006, 3:32 pm
First Year

Paintball's post about Halloween/Samhain on page 2 is very interesting. JKR is due to give us something spectacular on Halloween in Book Seven, and the Veil may have something to do with it. Good thinking!

Also, JK's answer about the veil is very telling. She says it WAS NOT USED FOR EXECUTION, and that the veil has been there as long as the Ministry has been there. So possibly the entire DoM was built around the veil. It's possible that wizards and witches discovered the veil, as JK said, "hundreds of years" ago, then they built the DoM around it.

She said the Veil and the DoM is "all about studying." So, what are they studying? She says, "the mind, the universe, death." If the veil symbolizes death, then the stadium seating around the veil was built to study death, hence the name: The Death Chamber. Unspeakables are the key here. What do they do? They research, study, and experiment with the most important and mysterious types of magic, including the magic of life and the magic of the universe. How do the Unspeakables study the veil? By listening to the voices? By sending volunteers into the veil? Some people obviously know what the veil does: Lupin, Bellatrix, Dumbledore. How do they know? Is it common wizarding knowledge once one reaches a certain age, or is the Veil only known by certain privileged wizards and witches? Even NH Nick knows!

Unspeakables, the Veil, and the DoM are going to have a huge part in Book Seven. The question is, how can the Unspeakables help Harry? What do they study: DEATH, LIFE, and the MIND. Can a connection be made???

Old January 10th, 2006, 3:43 pm
First Year

Allright, It's obviously used to study death (as the book clearly said). So, that means (as everyone wants) there is a chance that Sirius may still be alive. I DON'T think what it does is common knowledge, because everything in the DoM is supposed to be secret, right? I wonder if it is like a portal between the wizarding world and the afterlife. I doubt it will have anything to do with Dumbledore's return, though (he's not dead! read www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com).

Old January 11th, 2006, 5:22 am
First Year

I agree with a few of you that say it is a sort of portal to another dimension, somewhere between life and death, or maybe it just leads to the after life. What I want to know about the veil is how it was made or where it was found and how it was moved to the department of mysteries.

Old January 11th, 2006, 9:50 pm
Second Year

I think that once you go beyond the veil - that's it -- you're dead. I think [like a few others on this thread] that the veil is a passageway to the dimension of the dead.
It would be nice if Sirius is actually trapped there, and Harry has to go and save him...
...but I'm pretty sure he's dead.
I just wonder why JKR couldn't kill Sirius with a regular killing curse and sent him through the veil. Will it show up in the last book and have some importance?

(> <)
This is Lord Bunnymort. Copy Bunnymort into your signature to help him on his way to world domination. Become a bunny minion and you will be greatly rewarded.
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:22 pm
Sixth Year

It's possible it will be important, or it's possible she didn't want to write a funeral at the end of Order of the Pheonix. We may never know.

It seems to me to be a portal into death, but it must be one way. Once you fall through the black whispering curtains, you're gone. I'd expect that the curtains are there for something for the dead to touch to let the people on the other side know that they are there, and that if you looked through the archway without the curtain you either wouldn't see anything different on the other side (till you passed through it), or you'd see something likely to either drive you mad or make you want to go through, like the siren effect of the whispering except more so. The reason being that dead souls obviously naturally want to travel to afterlife: even ghosts aren't determined enough to stay, they can only leave an impression of themselves. So the attraction of the veil makes sense.

Harry loses it again.

Last edited by OwlPatronus; January 11th, 2006 at 10:25 pm.
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:32 pm
First Year

What if the veil is just an obstacle that leads to one of the horcruxes. The voices that are in there are probably just trying to say some type of riddle. SO if this is correct anyone can go in to try and retrieve hte horcruxes, but if the riddle is not solved correctly, you become one of the voices or part of the riddle.

Old January 11th, 2006, 11:15 pm
Sixth Year

I seriously and siriusly doubt it. For one thing, Dumbledore called it the "death room". For another, it was part of the department of mysteries. For a third, had it been an obstactle to get to a horcrux Dumbledore would have broken through it a long time ago.

Harry loses it again.
Old January 11th, 2006, 11:25 pm
First Year

I agree with anyonw who says Sirius is dead, because I think that veil is something like an instant transport to the "land of the dead". The room in which the veil is, isn't called The Death Room, for no reason...

Old January 15th, 2006, 6:27 am
First Year

What if Fawkes went through the veil?

What does anyone think would happen if Fawkes flew through the veil since phoenixes are immortal?

Old January 15th, 2006, 6:39 am
Sixth Year

Re: What if Fawkes went through the veil?

Phoenixes can live forever, but they die at intervals. That's important, because then we also know that phoenixes can be killed (they just come back to life afterwards).

If Fawkes flew through the veil, there would be no ashes for him to be reborn from. Therefore, I think he would just die.

~ ars longa, vita brevis ~

Eukaryota Animalia Chordata Aves Ciconiiformes Ardeidae Butorides virescens
Old January 15th, 2006, 6:41 am
Second Year

I do not think that "die" is the correct word. Yes, the veil has something to do with death, but is still a bit off. For example, when people die, they leave some kind of remains behind: a body, body parts, burnt ashes, etc... But when Sirius fell through the veil, he just completely disappeared. I think that Fawkes would disappear in the same way, but the veil is not just death. The veil is death and something more.

Old January 15th, 2006, 6:42 am
First Year

The veil seems to symbolize immediate and irrecoverable death. It may also be a portal between the "alive" world and the "dead" world. The phoenix achieves "immortality" by being able to rebirth itself from its own ashes. No ashes = no rebirth.

Old January 15th, 2006, 4:16 pm
Sixth Year

So, if Harry found all the Horcruxes, but could not destroy all of them, fawkes could carry them through the veil. Fawkes would therefore be sacrificing himself, as he would not be able to return (without ashes to be reborn).

Old January 15th, 2006, 4:20 pm
First Year

LOL

I really dont think that will be necessary

Old January 15th, 2006, 4:39 pm
Sixth Year

I would assume that as other have if Fawkes went into the veil he would not come out and i don't think he would have the power to bring Sirius back

Old January 15th, 2006, 4:57 pm
Third Year

I guess it is just a matter of your beliefs. In OOTP, when Dumbledore told Lord Voldemort that there was something worse than death, do you believe he was perhaps talking about the veil, or something else? The series finally coming to an end is a real neat thing if you think about it. I know this means no more HP books, but we will also get the answers to all our little questions that have been itching to be answered for how many years.

Old January 15th, 2006, 6:44 pm
First Year

The veil to me symbolises a gateway between the dead and living worlds, you can listen to people from beyond the veil... talk to the dead

Old January 15th, 2006, 6:59 pm
Third Year

Well if it is a sort of passage way between the living world and the dead world, I think that if Fawkes went through , he/she wouldn't be able to come back, but he/she could give Harry and Dumbledore (he is not dead) useful informations if it is a machine or apparatus used to talk to the dead.

Old January 15th, 2006, 7:22 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrax
Phoenixes can live forever, but they die at intervals. That's important, because then we also know that phoenixes can be killed (they just come back to life afterwards).

If Fawkes flew through the veil, there would be no ashes for him to be reborn from. Therefore, I think he would just die.
I think this is exactly right if Fawkes completly disopeared then he would be unalble to return.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies