Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

The Veil: What do you think its like?

Old January 20th, 2006, 9:48 pm
Fifth Year

Re: What if Fawkes went through the veil?

I think he would die, and not come back. There are no ashes for him to return from.

Here lies Dobby, a free elf.

"That wand's more trouble than it's worth, and quite honestly, I've had enough trouble for a lifetime."
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2006, 7:41 am
Second Year

Re: Questions about the Veil

i think it was odd when harry heard voices and said "is that you ron?" (<<not a direct quote). i hope it has nothing to do with divination or foreshadowing that ron is going to die.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:41 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlPatronus
For a third, had it been an obstactle to get to a horcrux Dumbledore would have broken through it a long time ago.
You over-estimate the power of dumbledore. We see him in HBP trying to get the horcrux in the cave-pool. Had it not been for Harry he would've never gotten the locket. (Just to make my point clear about that, I know it's not on topic).

Still I don't think it's a horcrux. Working on the explaination of how Voldemort would choose the horcruxes (in HBP) based on their 'trophy-like' value, the veil is of no importance to voldemort and therefore wouldn't make a good horcrux (in his mind).

Sorry for failing to explain myself well there.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooks17
i think it was odd when harry heard voices and said "is that you ron?" (<<not a direct quote). i hope it has nothing to do with divination or foreshadowing that ron is going to die.
I doubt it. Not everything the kids do is divine or magical. That is just plain and simple Harry trying to explain the voices. He's scared and is trying to find a reasonable explanation.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:27 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manti
Still I don't think it's a horcrux. Working on the explaination of how Voldemort would choose the horcruxes (in HBP) based on their 'trophy-like' value, the veil is of no importance to voldemort and therefore wouldn't make a good horcrux (in his mind).
alongside that, if they veil does represent death and the study of it, i think Voldemort would be kinda apprehensive about using it for a Horcrux, not only because i doubt it would be practical, but because the whole point of the Horcruxes is to avoid death!

Old February 3rd, 2006, 3:40 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Languish
alongside that, if they veil does represent death and the study of it, i think Voldemort would be kinda apprehensive about using it for a Horcrux, not only because i doubt it would be practical, but because the whole point of the Horcruxes is to avoid death!
one more thing: voldemort chooses isolated places, places where people wouldn't go, to place horcruxes. the veil is under study by the ministry; hiding the horcrux where there will sure be people meddling and studying wouldn't be a good idea (imo)

Old February 3rd, 2006, 10:05 pm
First Year

Aw, I miss Sirius... it wa so strange cos I was in the library the other day and I was talking to my friend cos she has only just read the sixth one and it was only then that I realised the gravity of Sirius' death...he will (probably) never appear again...

But what I want to know is, what was it doing there in the first place? Because i have a really nasty suspicion that it used to be used as a method of the death penalty in the wizarding world...

The whole veil thing really creeped me out...

"My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees. My love for Heathcliff resembles the rocks beneath- a source of little visible delight, but necessary." Catherine Earnshaw, Wuthering Heights

clicky!
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:13 am
First Year

Well, Sirius was a loveable character. He was like a father to Harry, he had someone to go to when something's wrong and ... kinda illegal (so as he'd feel he couldn't go to Dumbledore). The gravity of the situation is not the actual death of Sirius but what will happen to Harry has no-one to fall to (except his friends). Oh well, we'll just have to see.

On another note, I think the whole veil structure must have been found somewhere. Like a relic or artifact of some sorts.

What I wander is: Would it have the same effect on muggles? I'd take it that it just works on wizarding folk. Here's how it could have gone:

- Muggle builders uncover a ruined building of sorts
- Ministry of magic feel/get a report of the dark power emanating from the veil
- They take it into custody and try to understand it

Old February 4th, 2006, 12:16 am
Second Year

I don't know what happens to people who fall through the viel. But I don't think Sirius (or anyone else who fell through) is really dead.

www.LocksOfLove.org
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:26 am
Third Year

Truthfully, I'm not sure if Sirius is dead or not, but if he is, I think it was sort of a weird way of killing him off. Unless it symbolizes something.

Old February 4th, 2006, 12:30 am
Sparkly Queen Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremegreen
Truthfully, I'm not sure if Sirius is dead or not, but if he is, I think it was sort of a weird way of killing him off. Unless it symbolizes something.
Brandon Ford suggested in on e of his editorials on Mugglenet (his colmn is called The Underground Lake, here's a link) that the veil was the way for Harry to destroy the horcruxes and Voldemort and that Sirius died to show him that way. I don't know if I agree 100%, but it's a great thought.

Old February 4th, 2006, 12:32 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremegreen
That's what I thought too. Every other character dies with style in this series... every single one. Even Hagrid's giant spider (sry, forgot the name)!!

If the main point was that a clean shot would hurt Harry much more than a slow death (i.e. for maximum effect) I think it was a bit of a success as we see Harry trying to make contact with Sirius when he's in his room with the mirror, or talking to NH Nick; but in my opinion not nearly as effective as having Harry crouching over the dead body of Cedric or the other guy (don't want to spoil lol u know from HBP).

So maybe JK wanted to end this on a 'to be continued' note?

Old February 4th, 2006, 12:38 am
Sparkly Queen Princess

How is falling through a creepy black veil in (Harry's perspective) slowmotion "It seemed to take forever for Sirius to fall." (Paraphrasing as I don't have my book) in the middle of a battle any less stylistic than crumpling, dead from an Avada Kedavra in a graveyard or falling off an Astronomy Tower from an Avada Kedavra? He died. He's dead. To recind his sacrafice would be to cheapen it. He died noble, brave and fighting. The veil, I believe, is a portal or door to the afterlife and if you fall through it, you are gone from this world.

Old February 4th, 2006, 12:47 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organized_Mind
Paintball's post about Halloween/Samhain on page 2 is very interesting. JKR is due to give us something spectacular on Halloween in Book Seven, and the Veil may have something to do with it. Good thinking!
I really like this idea too, although I can't imagine what would draw Harry there on Halloween night, or how he would get in.

Old February 5th, 2006, 9:29 am
Second Year

i personally like the idea of the veil being related somehow to a dementor. the way it was described as kind of torn and frail reminded me of the dementor's cloak. and i do believe that in book 5 when dudley and harry attacked, the description of the dementor is something about it being "like a veil" or something to that extent.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 2:26 am
First Year

I think that the veil somehow separates your soul from your body. That is what the group hears during the fight, souls trying to reunite with their bodies. And i also think that if this is true, and since Sirius has such a strong soul (he did survive azkaban all those years) he will be able to come back to this world and fight once again!

Old March 22nd, 2006, 9:54 pm
Third Year

Question: What would happen if Voldemort, with his horcruxes not destroyed, was pushed through the veil? I have two theories:

1. He couldn't. The veil would only accept whole souls. A sort of "force field" would prevent him from going through the veil. But then would the theory that horcruxes could be destroyed by being thrown into the veil be wrong?

2. He would go through the veil, but he could still be brought back to life by a horcrux. But then would there be a Voldemort living AND a Voldemort in the veil?

Old March 22nd, 2006, 9:58 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankinator
I think that the veil somehow separates your soul from your body. That is what the group hears during the fight, souls trying to reunite with their bodies. And i also think that if this is true, and since Sirius has such a strong soul (he did survive azkaban all those years) he will be able to come back to this world and fight once again!
But where would he get a body, since that's in there too?

Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:32 pm
First Year

hmm thats true, maybe it is being held somwhere, and he has a certain amount of time to get it back before it is destroyed, or he does have his body and is just being held captive in a so called "Limbo". Then in the 7th book there could be some part where sirius showed harry what happened through means of the pensive.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 1:05 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
hmm thats true, maybe it is being held somwhere, and he has a certain amount of time to get it back before it is destroyed, or he does have his body and is just being held captive in a so called "Limbo".
Just the fact that it's called "The Death Chamber" suggests to me that there is definite finality when dealing with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyMuffins
1. He couldn't. The veil would only accept whole souls. A sort of "force field" would prevent him from going through the veil.
Pure speculation here but the veil transports the soul and the body to the "beyond" so if you had Horcruxes maybe the body could be taken through but the soul would be pulled back, anchored, to the earth by the Horcruxes. So like the ricocheting Avada Kedavra, passing through the veil with Horcruxes would force a split between the body and the soul... except without the pesky lightning bolt on the forehead.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 1:25 am
Third Year

Quote:
lol I thought all the theories about Sirius still being alive finished after the sixth book came out. J.K. already established in an interview that Sirius was not coming back.

The whole "soul being seperated from your body" theory is good, but I think there's too much canon to go against it. There was no body of Sirius that we know of, unless it was somehow transported to somewhere else that will come into play later.

I think that the veil was simply used for death. Instead of the electric chair when convicted of certain crimes they have the veil. It seems to be painless and quick, but I guess we'll have to see in the next book.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies