Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Avada Kedavra- A Counter Curse?

Old July 27th, 2006, 5:10 am
First Year

Re: Avada Kadavra- A Counter Curse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLazy_89
I disagree with #1:

First Harry was under the cloack so none of the people in the Tower, save for Dumbledore and perhaps Snape, could know he was there, so Harry wasn't in any danger.

Second the Death was a fake: Dumbledore was using an Inferi all the while, so the Dumbledore Snape killed was some sort of diversion, thats the reason Snape didn't hesitate to kill him.
Your second part makes no damn sence! how on earth did u use an inferi ther was no time for him to get one there in time that fast and if he did then his portrait in the headmaster's office of him would not be there. And the Ak curse can be used with out the person really wanting to kill the person. it can be used because they have to kill that person. like when voldermort killed harry's mother he really didn't want to kill her but he had to just like snape he did not want to kill dumbledore but rather he had to anyway write me back on what u think

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2006, 5:32 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Avada Kedavra- A Counter Curse?

I have often wondered if it was possible for Harry to come up with a counter curse to Avada Kedavra. Him and Voldemort are so alike yet so different. Voldemort has intense hatred while harry has a pure heart. Voldemort produceds powerful dark magic while Harry produces powerful light magic. I wondered if there was someway Harry could use his emotions to his benefit in coming up with something to counter Avada Kedavra.

Elizebeth: Barbosa marry us.
(best movie scene ever!)

"

Will Turner: "It depends on the one day.
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:14 am
First Year

Counter curse? How about a counter potion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snape
I can teach you to bottle fame brew glory and even put a stopper in death.
Thats right i quoted Snape.

Just a thought.

Old July 27th, 2006, 12:47 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snape
I can teach you to bottle fame brew glory and even put a stopper in death.

Thats right i quoted Snape.

Just a thought.

Calling it a stopper in death makes it sound like the potion is warding death off, like keeping someone alive from a deadly disease or something....

*EDIT*
On the other hand, if you pull the stopper ( or cork ) from a bottle of wine, we all know how it will shoot out. I guess if you use that illistration and think of the wine shooting forth as death "coming swiftly" so to speak, and you put the cork in it, it abrubtly stops that flow...So maybe the stopper in death could be something that would stop a fast coming- unexpected death instead of just prolonging your life while having an illness or something.

*EDIT #2*
miriam webster dictionary has this to say

Stopper:
Quote:
one that closes, shuts, or fills up; specifically : something (as a bung or cork) used to plug an opening
This makes me think two things. It ( to me anyway ) makes a stopper look like something that temporarily stops an event that is inevitable, and is going to happen sometime no matter how delayed.

I was just about to type that Dumbledore told Harry that there was nothing to stop death. But didn't Dumbledore say something like there is no spell to bring back someone back from the dead.

Sorry if my memory is wrong, but couldn't this mean that there is something to stop it from happening in the first place? We have seen that with the sorcerers stone....

once again, like the mugglecasters....I have no conclusion

Last edited by Foreignpupil; July 27th, 2006 at 1:23 pm.
Old July 27th, 2006, 1:32 pm
Third Year

I think it could be possible devise and test a counter curse for Avada Kedavra. In HBP there was a DE sending killing curses all over the place. It doesn't seem that you really need a living target in mind if you have the ability to cast it. It would take a partner with the ability to cast the Avada Kedavra and a location big enough (and didn't mind the damage) were you could set a target up. Then with one wizard casting the Avada Kedavra at the target the other could use possible counter curses to attept to block the Avada Kedavra from hitting the target. Not 100% safe concidering a sucessfully blocked Avada Kedavra could be redirected right back at the caster instead of completly disipated or simply veared of course, but that could be fixed by having the caster behind like a half wall and duck behind it after casting the Avada Kedavra.....Absolutly think its possible.

Old July 27th, 2006, 2:06 pm
First Year

I think that maybe Snape did 'do something', maybe communicated to DD something that saved his life but made it look like he died.
But personally I think that Snape cast an Advada but didn't really mean it, allowing DD to suvive

Old July 27th, 2006, 4:31 pm
Fifth Year

1) I really liked the Avis idea. Conjuring a living creature in front of a curse might kill the creature instead.

2) Conjuring a physical object would also shield you as Voldemort's attempt shows in his duel with Dumbledore.

3) Disapparating would be the best move if you can manage it.

Love alone didn't protect Harry. It was Lily's sacrifice that did this, meaning it was a life in exchange for a life. Love was the basis of this sacrifice and the link that set Harry for protection.

Also Dumbledore's death wouldn't protect Harry. He ensured Harry was never seen. But beyond that Harry was never in any real or imeediate danger. And Dumbledore's death didn't serve Harry either as nobody was going to kill him.

4) Purely theoretical: A counter Avada Kedavra might stop the curse, provided they collided at some point. I'm guessing the spells would deflect each other.

Old July 27th, 2006, 10:54 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_G
4) Purely theoretical: A counter Avada Kedavra might stop the curse, provided they collided at some point. I'm guessing the spells would deflect each other.
Yes, I believe that this would work but, noone uses the Avada Kadavra unless they are a Death Eater, it is in fact an unforgivable curse, should you used the spell in an attempt to only block the oncoming spell and miss the spell itself and hit the caster, killing him, you've earned yourself a one way ticket to Azkaban my friend.

Old July 27th, 2006, 10:58 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Yes, I believe that this would work but, noone uses the Avada Kadavra unless they are a Death Eater, it is in fact an unforgivable curse, should you used the spell in an attempt to only block the oncoming spell and miss the spell itself and hit the caster, killing him, you've earned yourself a one way ticket to Azkaban my friend.

aurors used to have permission to use the curses....maybe they will get that permission from the ministry before, also it isn't nesecarily true that nobody uses Avada Kadavra unless they are a death eater. Like dumbledore said, the world isn't divided into good people and Death Eaters. I'm sure some criminals who murder for reasons besides ultimite power for an evil dictator use Avada Kadavra to kill. Also, I'm sure some people, even if they are not mentioned have used Avada Kedavra in defence against former death eaters. I'm sure that most good people have enough hate for the Death Eaters to produce an Avada. I guess its kind of like having the liscense to shoot an robber in their house (although stunning them would be much more sensible)

Last edited by Foreignpupil; July 27th, 2006 at 11:22 pm.
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:53 am
Fifth Year

Yeah Sirius did mention that Aurors were given the authority to kill and that would be using AK I assumed but matthewchilders you do have an interesting theory.
Of course there are ways to prevent being hit by the curse as Dumbledore demonstrated in OoTP as he dueled LV

Power: A Collection An attempt at one shot fics. Latest Chapter The Trap

Get the daily news on the The Daily Prophet or read past articles in the Daily Prophet Archives

Old August 4th, 2006, 12:53 pm
Second Year

All you hav to do is have the same wand as the caster of Avada Kedavra is using so you can do Prior Incantim (Probally spelt wrong)

Old August 4th, 2006, 4:37 pm
First Year

i love this theroy it could well be true and hopfully will be... however sombody said that dumbledores death would have nothing to do with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unconvinced
howerver I don't think Dumbledores death will be involved in making it.

i was wondering before malfoy cornored dumbledore , he stuned harry in order to save his life yes? well couldent this be seen as an act like lillys , dumbledore gave his life to protect harry and he had a choice about it... because he could have told harry to hide him etc but told him to run... so for a protect against the avada kadavra you must give your life for the person to protect them from it like lilly, when voldemort killed her his second attack bounced of harry because of the protection.. but could this have put a new protection over harry... like lillys when dumbledore died... and thats what snape and dumbledore were working on a new form of protection and thats why snape and dumbledore had an arguemnt because snape didnt think that dunbledore dieing for harry was a smart thing to do...?

Old November 1st, 2006, 5:04 am
First Year

I think JKR has given us a clue in HBP that relates to this very question. I think it's in the chapter "Flight of the Prince" just after Dumbledore has died. Don't have the book on me but I remember there was a line where Harry thought that he had to get to Dumbledore and he had to catch Snape and that he could somehow reverse what had happened if he had the two together (if someone has the exact quote please post it!)...

I've noticed now in all the books Harry seems to have an instinctive grasp of magic. When it comes to spells he has to learn as part of class it takes him a while to learn it (because he's "thinking" about it) but with some spells it seems that he can do it after just seeing someone perform it once. The clearest example I can remember is when Tonks used "Episky" to fix his nose and then he used it to fix the nose of someone after a Quidditch practice. There is no mention of him or anyone else learning it in class. Harry instinctively knew how it worked and how to use it after experiencing it only once. The same way he somehow instinctively knows that you can reverse Avada Kedavra somehow by bringing killer and victim together just after the spell has been cast.

Personally I think the spell can be reversed by bringing the killer and victim together and the killer somehow taking the victims place BEFORE the soul has left the victim's body completely. This, however, is speculation but I do think the clue has been given...

Old November 26th, 2006, 6:50 am
Fourth Year

well there is old magic and there could possibly be a counter-curse thre,seeing how it saved harry e=when he was a baby,and they could try to invent one i think

but as for that part about dumbledore and snape,if you are implying that dumbledore is till alive,jk rowling herself said that dumbledore is dead,and i didnt understand the rest of it,no offense but it was confusing and didnt really make sense to me

Wand-15",Gaboon Ebony,Bloodwood,& Lignum Vitae,Rigid,Phoenix Ash & Phoenix Tear Core

Broomstick-Scarlet Phoenix

Animagus-African Lion

Patronus-Red Dragon

Durmstrang Institute of Magical Inquiry-Dracheseith House:Powerful,Wise,Crazy,and,Secretive

Magical Pets-Pursequor and Gaudium

I,Erus Omnipotens,The Shadow Lord,Am The Next Great And Powerful Wizard Of All Time
Old April 7th, 2007, 3:08 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizbog View Post
True. Sorcerer's Stone also clearly stated that Scabbers was a rat.
Also true, but only when being described by one of the characters as "Rons rat" or when JK was describing rons feelings about the rat.

Old April 7th, 2007, 3:15 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

imsticking to the thread ans say maybe Love will give harry a counter course to avda kedavra or a sort of protection not known before.

Old April 7th, 2007, 3:22 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
imsticking to the thread ans say maybe Love will give harry a counter course to avda kedavra or a sort of protection not known before.
That was my first impression, too, but now I think we already saw how love worked against the Avada Kedavra and unfortunately also how Voldemort detected the protection by love he underestimated before.

I nonetheless wonder whether he might be too convinced of a better sucess by trying to kill Harry a second time. Maybe there's still more to it.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old April 7th, 2007, 3:25 pm
First Year

Personally I think the spell can be reversed by bringing the killer and victim together and the killer somehow taking the victims place BEFORE the soul has left the victim's body completely. This, however, is speculation but I do think the clue has been given...[/quote]

I like this idea! I personally think there is a counter-curse for A-K, but maybe that's just so I can see lovely Albus back again. If there is a way to challenge the use of Horcruxes as vessels for souls (and therefore a path to immortality by destroying them,) and they are never, EVER mentioned at Hogwarts, then surely there is a way to counter A-K and the other Unforgivables, which ARE taught. I mean, you kill with Avada Kedavra and store a bit of your soul by so doing, and make it harder to kill you. People might say "Nice one, mate!". Surely the killing part is worse than the soul storage, in the Ministry's eyes?! So why learn about Unforgivables and not Horcruxes, if there is no counter-curse, or way to reverse one or all of them. Have the Ministry NEVER had to lift an Imperious Curse?

Old April 7th, 2007, 3:37 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
That was my first impression, too, but now I think we already saw how love worked against the Avada Kedavra and unfortunately also how Voldemort detected the protection by love he underestimated before.

I nonetheless wonder whether he might be too convinced of a better sucess by trying to kill Harry a second time. Maybe there's still more to it.
same though...maybe not sacryficing you self for another but joing force together,u cheesy but a bit like the carebears when they join hands.mybe harry stnading togehter with all his friendscreate a shiled.

Old April 14th, 2007, 4:58 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_G View Post
1) I really liked the Avis idea. Conjuring a living creature in front of a curse might kill the creature instead.

2) Conjuring a physical object would also shield you as Voldemort's attempt shows in his duel with Dumbledore.

3) Disapparating would be the best move if you can manage it.

Love alone didn't protect Harry. It was Lily's sacrifice that did this, meaning it was a life in exchange for a life. Love was the basis of this sacrifice and the link that set Harry for protection.
Well, although there is no specific counter Curse, there are ways to block it.
You need to bring something alive between you and the curse. Dumbledore did this by animating the statue of the wizard to protect Harry in the battle in the MoM. So, in my opinion, you just have to transfigure something in an animal or a plant and bring it in front of you. Most wizards shoud be able to do it, you only need to be fast enough and that might be a problem.
(Conjuring up a shield or wall might have dangerous side-effects like bursting in flame etc.)

It might be possible to use love to imitate the effect of Lily`s sacrifice and so create a shield that will reflect Avada Kedavra. This would be a possibility for Harry to kill Voldemort without having to use the curse himself.
But it probably won`t work because Lily`s sacrifice was so unique.

My first post! I`m so excited.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies