Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

My my, Aren't We Quirky?

Old December 22nd, 2005, 7:03 am
Hogwarts Graduate

My my, Aren't We Quirky?

[Insert generic, "I apologize if this is a repeat..." statement. ]

Almost all of us have them...those odd little things we do that surprise even us when we stop to think about them. What are your quirks?

Let's see...I can't read if, for example, someone is talking, someone is coughing, a TV is on, a door is slammed, etc. Such noises distract me. However, I can read with music on but it has to be the right song or it'll distract me too.

I can't always fall asleep if the TV is off...I have to turn it on, mute it, and put the sleep timer on.

I've gotten into the habit of turning on the TV and muting it...I rarely watch it anymore although, it's on almost all the time.

And, as you may be able to tell from the title of this thread, I dislike thread titles with "too many" lower case letters in them. I think I've only written a "proper" title once or twice. The same thing goes for SN's...I like caps for the "right" words. My name: DarkDaysAhead

Sometimes, I have so much energy that I find myself spontaneously getting up and walking upstairs, around the living room, and then back down the stairs. I've even walked around my bed a few times without even thinking about it. That usually happens when I, not only have too much energy, but am stressed out as well.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2005, 7:47 am
Fourth Year

Re: My my, Aren't We Quirky?

Hehe, I love threads like this.

Hmm. I have the same TV thing as you do. I can't fall asleep as well if it isn't on (but it has to be quiet). I like background noise.

When I go into a bathroom and it the shower curtain is drawn across the bath, I have to open it. It creeps me out otherwise.

I can't write [a story] in a notebook that I've written- or partly written- another one. I have to start a whole new book.

Ummm. I'll come back with more. I'm too sleep deprived to think of any good ones. :P

Narnia: It's magic.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:13 am
Second Year

same goes with me. i can't sleep if the tv is off. i don't know why, maybe most people has this habit.

another thing: everytime i sleep i always put a blanket on my face even if it's dark.

--The Comprehensive Guide
Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:25 am
Zonko's Employee

Hm, I think this should be in the Great Hall.

Anyways...Ha, well, when I'm buying a new book I never get the one it front. I always get either the third or fourth copy behind it.

Same goes for magazines.

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible." |Catcher in the Rye

Siggy image from LA 1960s & Avatar made by Makani|*PLEASE DO NOT TAKE*
Old December 22nd, 2005, 2:28 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDaysAhead
I can't read if, for example, someone is talking, someone is coughing, a TV is on, a door is slammed, etc. Such noises distract me. However, I can read with music on but it has to be the right song or it'll distract me too.
I'm the same way. For instance, when I read the sixth Harry Potter, I had American Idiot [album] on repeat. I've heard it so many times I didn't have to pay attention to sing along. And, when I was reading Catcher in the Rye, as well, I was listening to Green Day, the album Kerplunk!, but mostly the song Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? Because as the title suggests, it's about the book, and I couldn't get my head around that and had to keep going back to the song so eventually I just put it on repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemae
When I go into a bathroom and it the shower curtain is drawn across the bath, I have to open it. It creeps me out otherwise.
That's totally me, too. I get creeped out about a lot of things like that, if I go in the bathroom and the curtain is closed, I need to open it or I wont be able to think straight...

Hmm, what else...I clear my throat all the time. Like, all the time. It's gotten to where I can't not do it.

A lot of times, when I'm listening to music, I'll bob my head or sing along, without even realizing it. Especially when it's a song I've heard a lot, but not even always one that I know all the words to. It's like mouth muscle memory...which is also why, even once I do know the words, it's hard to get in the habit of singing the right ones...

I'm lefthanded, so I always notice if someone's lefthanded. And point it out. And I get excited if I watch a music video [I love music!] and one of the guitarists is playing lefthanded. I've always found it funny that in a number of cartoons, if writing isn't really a major part of the character, the cartoon will be lefthanded. Perhaps because, I've always wondered, the animator was righthanded and sort of mirrored themselves...

I point out random times in the day, because of the way the numbers are in order. Like 7:11, 7:13, 9:11, 12:34, etc...

mmmm....beefy cheesecake....
Old December 22nd, 2005, 4:51 pm
Third Year

If there is a clock in the room, I feel sort of uncomfrotbale if I can't see the face of it. I occasionally do mildly obsessive compulsive things. but not so much now. It comes and gos. When I as young I was very very pernickity about germs. I wouldn't share a bottle of water with anyone, or eat something someone had touched.

Other random things I do:

Turn on all the lights in the house
Check each room when I'm home alone, just in case
Check I've switched stuff off when I've walked out of a room even though I know I've already turned it off
Pull out my hair when I'm not concentrating
Sometimes I zone out and seem to watch myself doing and saying things from outside my body for a few seconds. It's a wierd sensation.

There are more but I can't remember them.

Mr. Microphone making
All the damage felt
Like a laser manifesto
Make a mannequin melt
Old December 22nd, 2005, 4:53 pm
First Year

Ok...this is weird, but i always have to sit on the right hand side of the sofa, and sleep on the right hand side of the bed...no idea why!

Cant think of any others at the moment....im sure i have more!

Old December 22nd, 2005, 4:57 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_musing
Hm, I think this should be in the Great Hall.

Anyways...Ha, well, when I'm buying a new book I never get the one it front. I always get either the third or fourth copy behind it.

Same goes for magazines.
teehee I do that too!! The ones at the back are cleaner because everyone picks up the front one and flicks through it...

And I always get paranoid about whether I've done something or not...like if I straighten my hair before I go out, I can never remember if I turned the straightners off or not and I have to ring home and ask my mum to check that they're off because I'm worried I'm going to make the house catch fire!

Last edited by mia305; December 22nd, 2005 at 5:00 pm.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 4:58 pm
Third Year

i have to listen to music when i sleep, and i have to lay on both of my sides before i finally fall asleep on my back

"Emma appeared like an angel
Emma fell like rain
Into my lap like a heart attack
Like lightning from her name"

Alkaline Trio - Emma

Wand: Hawthorn, 11", Unicorn Tail Hair, Swishy
Old December 22nd, 2005, 5:05 pm
First Year

Well, I bite nails without being aware of it. And if I read a good book, I can't hear people talking to me. I probably have about a zillion more, but I can't remember them.

Old December 22nd, 2005, 5:16 pm
First Year

Let's see:
I bite my nails constantly, I trip over things that don't exist and frequently I trip on doorframes, I can only sing in my highest range if I'm being loud, I become completely oblivious to everything around me when I read, and I do mean completely oblivious (I cease to be able to hear at all), I frequently disagree with my history teacher on moot points, like which wives Henry VIII beheaded, and I always win. I can know a song so well that when I'm singing it, I don't even pay attention.......I start making mental lists or daydreaming, and no one can tell because I stay on tempo and on pitch.........I can't think of any more right now.

There are evil minions of darkness everywhere! GET 'EM!!!!
Old December 22nd, 2005, 5:22 pm
First Year

I know the feeling about the shower curtain. And in our house the bathroom's right at the top of the staris, and in the night when I use it, I have to watch the bottom of the stairs while I enter.
I can sing songs while on another planet, though I mostly do that to hymns in assembly, because the words are there.
I can't hear people talking to me when I read, until they start talking about how I can't hear them. then I can.

WOMBAT III taken and unmarked
Old December 22nd, 2005, 5:26 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwhichiam
I know the feeling about the shower curtain. And in our house the bathroom's right at the top of the staris, and in the night when I use it, I have to watch the bottom of the stairs while I enter.
I can sing songs while on another planet, though I mostly do that to hymns in assembly, because the words are there.
I can't hear people talking to me when I read, until they start talking about how I can't hear them. then I can.
I am exactly the same about using the bathroom in the night, I have to check the bottom of the stairs and everything lol! And I'm the same about the shower curtain being shut as well!
Something else I just thought of is that if I'm in my room with the hairdryer on and I can't hear if someone's coming upstairs it kind of creeps me out...because it makes me jump if someone comes in and I didn't hear them coming!

Last edited by mia305; December 22nd, 2005 at 5:29 pm.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 5:31 pm
First Year

I also have to sleep on the left side of the bed, and I have to sit at the left edges of tables........but that is more because I'm left-handed, I think. I always put my drinks to the left side of me, but I have no idea why.

There are evil minions of darkness everywhere! GET 'EM!!!!
Old December 22nd, 2005, 5:34 pm
Fourth Year

When I start a book I have to finish it, even if I'm not enjoying it.

I twist my hair when I'm nervous or uncomfortable. I do it without even noticing.

Narnia: It's magic.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 5:36 pm
Second Year

I always have to sleep facing the wall, and if I'm in a sleeping bag, the zipper has to be in front of me and the door of the room I am in while I am sleeping has to be closed.
I also have little obsesive compulsive quirks, like if there is a book turned around the wrong way, I have to fix it, or it will drive me nuts.

they're a witty lot, aren't they, the beatles...

92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 6:48 pm
Fifth Year

I have these two cushions on my bed and when I use them, the labels on the cushions have to be together and in the bottom left-hand corner. Otherwise I can't relax! I'm the same with cushions in our living room/lounge too, the zips have to be at the bottom. I can't stand being like that but I can't help it either!

I have loads more obssesive compulsive quirks but I don't want to depress myself by listing them ALL! It'd be a massive list.

Old December 22nd, 2005, 6:56 pm
Second Year

I have to have the sheets tucked into my side of the bed before I go to sleep... I like feeling snug

Old December 22nd, 2005, 7:03 pm
Second Year

I always go through the house when lights are left on. It really bothers me when tons of lights are left on throughout the house, I have to make sure each and every one is shut off. Unless I'm home alone.

When I'm reading, I need absolute silence. Well not quite absolute, I don't mind my dog making small noises or something like that. I can't listen to music when I read, because I start to drift away from the book and start humming the music. If my mom or dad talking on the phone, then I don't even touch a book.

I also can't sleep unless it's quiet. I don't mind noises coming from outside the house no matter how loud, but inside the house I pretty much need silence to fall asleep. When I do fall asleep, I can sleep through pretty much anything. I also tend to sleep either on the right side of the bed or the middle, I never sleep on the very left unless the right side is too hot.

When I have alot of energy, I tend to get up and walk around the house. Around the table, around the chair, whatever. I'll walk and walk and walk and walk. Then after awhile I'll beginning marching and yelling stuff like "MARK TIME MARK!" or humming my old band show. I'm such a band geek.

When I walk into the bathroom, I check shower curtains as well. I can't stand looking at closed shower curtains, it always feels like something is behind it.

I also sit like a bird sometimes. I don't know why I do that, but it's really comfortable for me to sit like I'm perching on something. My friends always ask me how I can be comfortable like that and why my knees don't hurt, but I don't think I'll ever know.

Old December 22nd, 2005, 7:12 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_venice15
I also have to sleep on the left side of the bed, and I have to sit at the left edges of tables........but that is more because I'm left-handed, I think. I always put my drinks to the left side of me, but I have no idea why.
I do that too. But with the sleeping thing, I sorta just sleep however lol.

mmmm....beefy cheesecake....
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall