Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

My my, Aren't We Quirky?

Old July 25th, 2011, 2:13 am
First Year

Re: My my, Aren't We Quirky?

I don't like to drink hot beverages out of clear glasses. It grosses me out!
Oh, and I love to watch infomercials, you know the really late night ones for stuff nobody needs?

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting,
for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."

Pottermore: OakPhoenix68

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2011, 6:45 am
First Year

I have so many weird quirks I shouldn't even start trying to list them.

I have a lot of really weird stuff about numbers... I won't go into the details there, too many.
I have weird stuff about food too, and rinsing dishes after they're used. When I eat rice, I have to get EVERY last grain. when I eat ice cream or soup I tip the bowl to scrape what I can from the bottom.
If someone steps on the rug in our living room with their shoes on it leaves an imprint and I HAVE to smooth it out.
That's just a few.

100% RAVENCLAW and proud!!!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:59 pm
Third Year

-When reading a book, I must stop only at the next new chapter. I will force myself to read up until then.
-Also, once I start a book I MUST finish it, no matter how much I hate it (same goes for series.)
-I turn lights off obsessively.
-When reading or writing, if there is talking/noise/commotion/faint disruptions of any kind, I immediately stop what I'm doing because I can't concentrate.
-I wash my hands before eating even if I've only touched the counter after last washing them.
-When I am trying to fall asleep, my room has to be dark and completely silent. My door is cracked and I see a faint outline of light? Nope, I can't sleep. I have to put my phone in front of my clock so I don't see the light from it. I even have problems because I can see the extremely faint outline of the sky outside through my windows, even if it's midnight. I need total darkness.
-Before I attempt to sleep, I MUST listen to my iPod. I have a specific order of what I listen to as well. And I always end with the same song.
-I talk to myself. Sometimes with a British accent.
-I have a very specific shower routine that I haven't broken for about 7 years.
-I know my room is messy and I don't enjoy it but I won't clean it up.
-If I'm going to practice my flute, no one is allowed to be on the same floor as me. In fact, I usually only do it when no one's in the house.
-I must sit in this special rocking chair when I read HP. No one is allowed to be near me when I do so.
-I can't sit in chairs with both my feet flat on the floor. I will sit on top of my legs, cross them, have 1 foot up and the other down, or sit in a crazy position until various parts of my body fall asleep. Just not normally.
-I enjoy part of the sensation of body parts falling asleep.
-When I'm trying to go to sleep, I will start on my side, switch sides a bunch of times, lie on my back, and eventually my stomach.
-When I'm listening to my iPod and laying on my side, I can only have 1 earphone in.
-I alternate between sleeping on a pillow and just on the mattress several times per night.
-I have horrible posture most of the time. When sitting down and playing flute however, my posture becomes absolutely perfect immediately.
-I crack my knuckles when I feel I haven't done so in a while.
-I pick at my nails and cut them obsessively. So they are short.
-I have a specific way to chew gum.
-I stretch quickly and randomly to make myself feel better. (Whatever that means to you.)
-When the air is on in the car, I better not be able to hear it.
-No one is allowed to touch my HP books but me.

Wow I have more quirks than I thought.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old August 2nd, 2011, 8:36 pm
Second Year

-I talk to myself all the time when I'm alone, sometimes in my normal voice, and sometimes I'll practice my British accent.
-When watching a movie on a DVD player I have to move something in front of the digital number display otherwise I'll stare at the numbers and try to find patterns in them.
-My watch is always turned down on my wrist, I can't stand it facing up.
-I always, always check the date on milk to make sure it's not spoiled.
-I sleep best with the light on.
-I love to have sound when I sleep, especially the TV.

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."

Proud Ravenclaw

Pottermore: CentaurCrimson47
Fremione - Because love isn't always canon.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:33 pm
First Year

I talk to myself all the time as well, and yes sometimes in a British accent.
I pick at my nails all the time. In fact, I rarely cut them, just pick them.
I can't stop reading in the middle of a chapter, and I usually read a certain number of chapters at a time to get to a number I like. This is one of my many weird quirks about numbers. I like to look at [digital] clocks at certain times to see the numbers I like (and set my alarm at specific times). Every single time I take a shower, when I'm drying my hair, I shake off the excess by whipping it in three batches of certain numbers that add up to a certain number. I often eat things in particular numbers as well.

Another weird thing I do, and this is really hard to explain, is mentally pretend to write something with my finger, but I usually just barely move my finger so that it's not noticeable, and though I usually just randomly "write" certain words that come to my mind in my own handwriting, sometimes I try to imitate other handwriting I see (every single time I watch Jeopardy, I imitate the contestants' handwriting).

Oh, and whenever someone uses the word "good" when it should be "well," I silently say "well" to myself to correct them.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:06 pm
Second Year

I have an unusual amount of quirks. More than most. These are a small few:

-I re-enact scenes from a story I've written when there's nobody around. It's odd when someone catches me.
-Every time I'm listening to music, I impulsively air-guitar. Even in public. Sometimes people have to tell me to stop, it gets so bad.
-I have bitten my nails and skin around it since I can remember.
-I must have a cup of tea every day. If I don't have one, I freak out and must have two the next day to make up for the one I didn't have the previous day.
-I sing when I'm on my own too. And not how I'd usually sing. I sort of scream/sing, Dave Grohl/Kurt Cobain style. I have no idea why.
-Sometimes when alone and listening to music, I air-conduct the band playing.
-My hair is long for a guy. I put it behind my ears. My parents hate when I do this.
-I'll start talking in an American accent when I talk to myself on my own. Usually Southern.
-I flap my hands around all the time. I've heard it's typical for people on the autistic spectrum, so I ain't worried.
-I sometimes use phrases like "411" just because I can. My parents/acquaintances/friends think this is ridiculous.
-I say "just sayin'" a lot, and hold up my hands as I do, as if my opinion isn't to be taken seriously. It's my catchphrase.
-I make up songs as I go along sometimes, and always forget them about ten seconds later.
-I can't bear leaving a room with the light still on. It doesn't mind if the computer is still running, or my radiator, or anything else electrical.
-Doodling. 'nuff said.

Just sayin'

MCA, 1964-2012.
Do visit my My Immortal analysis: http://cwbpresentsmyimmortalanalysis.webs.com/
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:49 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwindblows View Post
-Doodling. 'nuff said.

oh I doodle a LOT. and sometimes when I go through old papers from school I actually rip out the awesomest looking doodles and save them.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 4:19 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutella23 View Post
Another weird thing I do, and this is really hard to explain, is mentally pretend to write something with my finger, but I usually just barely move my finger so that it's not noticeable, and though I usually just randomly "write" certain words that come to my mind in my own handwriting, sometimes I try to imitate other handwriting I see (every single time I watch Jeopardy, I imitate the contestants' handwriting).

Oh, and whenever someone uses the word "good" when it should be "well," I silently say "well" to myself to correct them.
I think I get what you're saying when you write something with your finger, and I do that all the time!
And I do the "good" and "well" thing too.

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."

Proud Ravenclaw

Pottermore: CentaurCrimson47
Fremione - Because love isn't always canon.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 4:27 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

I'm perfectly normal.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 3rd, 2011, 9:50 pm
Second Year

I think a lot of my quirks have been ironed out, though I still have a few.

- I have to have a fan (or something similar) running when I sleep.
- I freak out when water is dumped on me when I'm dry.
- I don't really like ice cream, but I love mustard!

And I can't think of anything else.

Old August 4th, 2011, 11:59 am
Second Year

- When watching tv or whatever, I need to have the volume on an even number.
- When doing college work, I need background noise. Usually I just shove a film on. (And usually it's a HP film xD)
- I like to buy pretty notebooks and then get too scared to write in it in case I mess it up.
- I noticed recently that every time I go into the bathroom, I have to push the shower curtain to the side if it's open. It's as though I'm scared that someone is hiding there and waiting to jump on me xD

There's probably more but I can't think.

Old August 12th, 2011, 11:48 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwindblows View Post
-I re-enact scenes from a story I've written when there's nobody around. It's odd when someone catches me.
I do this too. It used to be sort of a writing tool for me, to figure out if something would work or make sense. Now it's just a strange habit.

I have a weird number thing. When I'm setting the volume on a TV/Computer/Stereo/MP3 player, I'll only set it to certain numbers. It isn't an obsession with odd or even numbers, or based on some mathematical series; it's just numbers I like. 7, 10, 13, 17, 36, 48, 56, 69, 78, 86, 91, 98, 99, 100. Completely random, no? At some point or another, I've worn all of these numbers playing American football, with the exception of 100...but they were all in my series before I wore them. That's why I wore them. Sometimes, if 17 isn't enough and it only goes to 25 or 30, I'll use 22, but that's not my number. It's my brother's number. I just love him enough to tolerate it.

I quote or paraphrase Dr. House, from the show House, MD, and make references to obscure athletes, almost compulsively.

I do not eat fruit at dinner (or supper, whatever you call the last meal of the day) or vegetables at breakfast. Doing so wouldn't quite be disgusting, but it would not make any sense to me at all to do so. Fruit is morning food. Vegetables are evening food. That's all there is to it.

Old August 13th, 2011, 1:54 am
First Year

In a way that makes sense Muggle the fruit and vegetable thing that is

"Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself"
Albus Dumbeldor

"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are"
Kurt Cobain

Old August 13th, 2011, 2:33 am
Zonko's Employee

To quote an ad that used to be on here in Australia...

"Your taste buds don't know what time it is!"

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old August 13th, 2011, 2:52 am
First Year

I chew ice cream I always have even when it is obvious that it will just slide down my throat I also talk to myself constantly even at work.

"Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself"
Albus Dumbeldor

"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are"
Kurt Cobain

Old August 13th, 2011, 5:18 am
Second Year

I'm kind of OCD when it comes to the volume on my TV and car stereo but I'm the opposite of most people. I always avoid even numbers and multiples of 5 specifically so others won't think that I'm OCD about the volume.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old March 13th, 2012, 6:29 am
Fourth Year

1) When at a restaurant, or when confronted with a drink with a bendy straw, I must flatten the straw completely, so that the liquid enters my cavern in a flattened elliptical shape.
2) When on a flight, I must have a cup with only ice in it. For the purposes of turning ice into water, so that I may study the complexities of the states of matter.
3) Once I start cleaning, I cannot stop. Until every last bacterial cell that infects my residence has been vanquished with anti-bacterial cleansers and my own spit. Which, by the way, is counterproductive. Don't try it at home.
4) When I eat fruit, I always put the sticker on the edge of the table, until I finish consuming the food. Afterwards, I will take the sticker, roll it up, and then proceed to throw it in the trashcan. No sticker on fruit? Well, no fruit for JohanT .
5) Whenever the teacher hands out a sheet of paper, I always have to play a balancing act against gravity, and the general density of squished tree pulp. And I am the only one allowed to blow the sheet down. If others do it? Well, the cycle will start all over again.
6) I inspect utensils, plates, and bowls like they are pedigree dogs I am looking to judge. One spot of dust, and they go back in the wash.
7) Everyday, I have to have a bit of chocolate. If I don't, I go berserk.

Termine.

Old March 13th, 2012, 12:03 pm
First Year

Quote:
7) Everyday, I have to have a bit of chocolate. If I don't, I go berserk.
I second that Also, when in a new environment, I must touch and poke everything I see. I am not at peace until I have felt the texture of every piece of furniture, book or tree available.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old who is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed be the blade that was broken: The crownless again shall be king.
Old March 13th, 2012, 1:16 pm
First Year

- I need to go to sleep with some sort of music playing. Regardless of if it's the radio, music on the internet, or one of the music channels on the digital tier. I must have it, or it'll be too silent for me to fall asleep. When I'm out on the road, I make sure that my iPod is charged and I'll sleep with that going all night.

- Whenever we're at a restaurant and I get something with a paper wrapper, I crinkle the wrapping into a ball after I'm done with it. This happens with the wrapper my burger is in or the straw wrapper. If it's paper, it goes into a ball and then onto the tray.

- When I carry a backpack around with me, the zippers have to be on the same side of the backpack at all times (unless I'm putting something in or taking something out of it). If there's a side pocket where the zippers aren't going to be, I surprisingly don't worry about it.

Those are my main quirks. I also have a fixation with numbers ending in 0 or 5, but that's not as common of a quirk as the three aforementioned are.

Old March 14th, 2012, 6:21 am
First Year

Whenever I eat multiples of something, I spontaneously make sure they stay even inside my mouth. For example, if I put 2 M&M's in my mouth, I keep one in each cheek before I start eating. If I put 3 inside, I bite one in half so that they can stay even.

Pottermore:
StoneFrog1429
Wand: Alder, Unicorn Hair, 13 3/4 in, Slightly Springy
House: Ravenclaw
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall