Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Hermione's Family (Do they know she is a witch?)

Old December 27th, 2005, 8:55 pm
Registered Animagus

Hermione's Family (Do they know she is a witch?)

Over the past I think the one character that led me to asking all the questions would be Hermione. Well, in fact, her parents and family. We don't know much about her family, mainly because she is a side character and her family just play a little part in the Potterverse.

What do we know about them? Well, all we know about Hermione's parents is that they are dentists. We don't even know their names... well, that is something we can just find out from JK Rowling of course...

But what I want to know is this: Hermione's family (other than her parents)... do they know she is a witch? Of course it would lead to the question if she had any other relatives... aunts, uncles, grandparents... but do you think they know about her being a witch?

Last edited by Nicole; May 27th, 2007 at 4:51 pm. Reason: removed 'note to mods'
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2005, 8:58 pm
Second Year

Re: Hermione's Family (Do they know she is a witch?)

I kind of doubt it, that would be an awful lot of people to tell, and the wizarding world is supposed to remain as discreet as possible. Of course her parents know, there isn't really anyway they can't know, but I doubt they would tell all of their other family members about it.

Old December 27th, 2005, 9:00 pm
Second Year

I doubt it. The wizarding world is very secret. If any of her other family memebers know it would be her grandparents. I don't think anyone but her parents do though.

Old December 27th, 2005, 9:00 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

You know, that's my main gripe with Hermione's character. A big lack of background information (and for me, I hate not having background information on a character; that's usually why I prefer reading manga to watching anime, but never mind all that). I hate the fact we don't know enough about her family to even speculate. She doesn't even mention a cousin, or an aunt, or an uncle in passing. I have this feeling, though, that only her parents know about it.

Old December 27th, 2005, 9:03 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81
You know, that's my main gripe with Hermione's character. A big lack of background information (and for me, I hate not having background information on a character; that's usually why I prefer reading manga to watching anime, but never mind all that). I hate the fact we don't know enough about her family to even speculate. She doesn't even mention a cousin, or an aunt, or an uncle in passing. I have this feeling, though, that only her parents know about it.
I agree with you so much. I hate not knowing this stuff about her. We got to see her parents for like... a moment in book two... but we never knew their names... this family is like... a big mystery. Though there have been all those speculations that if we do get to know more about her parents they are going to end up getting killed by a Death Eater or two. It just irks me that we don't know much about her family... she is one of my favorite characters and I am sure JK Rowling has a file folder full of information about her family!

Good point though about her relatives not knowing because of how secretive the wizarding world is... didn't think about that.

Old December 27th, 2005, 9:04 pm
Third Year

I think that when a Muggleborn is accepted to Hogwarts they are asked not to tell the members of their family who do not need to know. I think just immediate family such as parents are aware of it. This ensures that there are as few as possible muggles that know of the existence of the hidden Wizarding World.

Harry/Hermione and Draco/Ginny
We're kinda glad they're not Canon.

HarryLovesHermione
DracoAndGinny
PORTKEY.ORG

Old December 27th, 2005, 9:06 pm
Second Year

I guess I'm the only one who isn't bothered by not knowing about Hermione's family...

I admit it might be interesting to learn a bit more about them, but I guess I was never really interesed. I figured they were just a regular Muggle family, so they really aren't that important or special.

Old December 27th, 2005, 9:14 pm
First Year

If her extended family knew there would be no way to contain it, along with every other muggle born witch or wizard. There would be so many people in not only her family but other muggle born families that someone in one of the families would let it slip to someone. Not only that if Hermione told someone of her extended family that she's a witch they might not even believe her.

I suppose I would
-Dispatch
Old December 27th, 2005, 9:17 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepprpl21
If her extended family knew there would be no way to contain it, along with every other muggle born witch or wizard. There would be so many people in not only her family but other muggle born families that someone in one of the families would let it slip to someone. Not only that if Hermione told someone of her extended family that she's a witch they might not even believe her.
i agree. if her extended family knew, the word would just go around and soon the whole world would know about witches and wizards.

..i can hear a dying dream

Old December 27th, 2005, 9:21 pm
Sixth Year

I wonder what the acceptance letter from Hogwarts says when its aimed at a muggleborn?
It may say that it is forbidden or non advisable to mention Hogwarts or the Wizard world to muggle friends and muggle familie. After all the MoM do a great deal to hide the wizarding world from the muggle world.
It said nothing in Harry's letter as Dumbledore assumed they all knew. (Hagrid was surprised Harry had not been told by the Dursley's in book 1)
I think only Hermoines immediate family knows (I think JKR mentioned a little sister) but if no siblings then just her parents.

Old December 27th, 2005, 9:27 pm
First Year

I completely agree - I believe that Hermione's dentist parents are the only ones in her family to know about her magical powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DarkAngel_
I think that when a Muggleborn is accepted to Hogwarts they are asked not to tell the members of their family who do not need to know. I think just immediate family such as parents are aware of it. This ensures that there are as few as possible muggles that know of the existence of the hidden Wizarding World.
Although I am not certain, I believe that J.K. said on her website that when Muggle-borns are accepted to Hogwarts a special witch or wizard correspondent is sent along with the letter to fully explain about the magical world and to help the muggle family get to Diagon Alley and such, because otherwise the Muggles would think it was A) either a big joke or B) they would believe it but have no idea how to get the school supplies or anything. So, I believe J.K. said this is what happened, but I am not sure...it sure does strike a memory though...

- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 9 - The Woes of Mrs. Weasley, pg. 170 (first American edition)
Old December 27th, 2005, 9:39 pm
Second Year

yeah, dumbledore went to tom riddle, and hagrid eventually came to harry. they defintily send representatives to prove it's real, and not just a hoax. which makes me wonder: who went to hermione? and i definitly think hermione's parents are targets, whether they are major charcters or not. anybody even loosley associated with harry is a target. so it would be nice to know more about them before hermione gets summoned to st. mungo's or something....

Old December 31st, 2005, 7:26 pm
Second Year

I'm pretty sure they know. They meet her at platform 9 and 3/4. They get owls from her (OotP)

Old December 31st, 2005, 7:30 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana_chan
I guess I'm the only one who isn't bothered by not knowing about Hermione's family...

I admit it might be interesting to learn a bit more about them, but I guess I was never really interesed. I figured they were just a regular Muggle family, so they really aren't that important or special.
But still, it would be nice to hear something about them. Even if she mentioned a cousin, or an uncle, or even some "muggle" things she may enjoy doing or have enjoyed doing. I know a lot disagree with me, but, imo, I don't know all that much about Hermione and would like to know more about her other than she's a bookworm who has the ability to retain knowledge well with two dentist parents. I don't know too many of her likes or dislikes, etc. We don't even have an idea how she became such a bookworm.

Old December 31st, 2005, 7:35 pm
TriWizard Champion

I doubt Hermione's family know she is a witch (except her parents, obviously), I can't think of a good reason why they would tell her uncles or cousins about that special gift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana_chan

You're not the only one, I share your views about this

Old December 31st, 2005, 8:34 pm
Second Year

I think they must know, otherwise there would be alot of explainations on Hermione's part.

Let us take these three things in mind before we open another "Potter" book:
1.The prospect of Hermione sending messages to her friends by owl, bringing home Hogsmeade items, and owning a wand, would almost certainly gain her parents' attention; and since Hermione isn't one to lie often, she would have to tell them the truth at some time or another.

2.If I remember correctly, Hermione's parents accompanied her to Diagon Alley - (this event happened in CoS). More than likely, Mr. and Mrs. Granger wouldn't have been able to ignore the fact that there were positively hundreds of magical items, creatures, and people all above, below, and about them.

3.No parent can resist the urge to ask their children what they were doing, how things were, and what was happening at school; Hermione's parents would be bound to get the truth out of their daughter sooner or later.

So you see, either Hermione is playing her cards extremely well...so as her parents don't know anything about Hogwarts, or they know that Hermione is a witch. Simple as pie.

Got rats?

Source: www.petrats.org

Show you care: hug a rattie today!!

Spoiler: show
'Wow' spelled backwards is 'wow'.
Old December 31st, 2005, 8:37 pm
Third Year

I think only her immediate family know (mother, father... she has no siblings I believe). As said, the wizarding world is a secret to the rest. It might be a law that only those who have to know can know, in muggle families. If the muggles knew there were wizards and witches and such they would panic I think.

Old December 31st, 2005, 8:42 pm
Banned

Well I know from one of the interviews JKR made the Grangers very plain and unobtrusive with the whole storyline. So therefore the Weasleys were basically the "family of the friend" that was concentrated upon. I don't know really what to think about the Grangers. I feel in order to keep the book fairly competent it's quite too late to actually introduce them as significant or as part of the storyline unless it's going to be some dues ex machine suprise that'll pretty much come off as totally lame.

But seriously the more I think about it, the less Hermione is of a character because of the total lack of her parents. Like I said before, it seems awfully convinient for Hermione to be with Ron and Harry with the holidays as well engaging in dangerous situations without her parents giving a lick of concern, unless Hermione glosses over her adventures during the summer. I just hope an explanation for that doesn't turn out to be extremely lame.

But seriously, regarding Hermione as a character, the lack of her parents really dampens her as a character in general to me, at least the mere mentioning of them. It just leaves her a bit incomplete as a character. Aside from conjecture on how teenagers act; Hermione's attitude in just bolting away from her parents to stay with her friends seems awfully a bit too easy at times. In some ways, it kinda leads me to think how shallow a character Hermione is when regarding any of her character outside of Hogwarts.

I understand the need to streamline a plot so it doesn't bog down the book, that's why OoTP was a bit too hefty and long winded. But consideirng how important the theme of family is in the HP series, it does leave Hermione a bit singled out. Harry has his parents to think about, Ron has his parents, and Hermione...well it just leaves her being flat. I hope in some compacity they are introduced and not as an afterthought such as Hermione introducing her fiance Ron. I think after how hard the concept about family was drilled into our minds, that Hermione's parents at least make a significant appearance to support that theme. Even if they are souless dental cyborgs.

Unless JKR is really *really* emphasizing Hermione to be part of the Weasley family more than with hers, then I guess it's ok...but one can't help to like a bit of consistency amongst showing the trio's parents and their love.

Old December 31st, 2005, 8:51 pm
Third Year

I'm pretty sure that Hermione's parents met the Weasleys at Diagon Alley during their second year, so they must know that she's a witch.

Hermione also does a lot of homework during the summer, and does a lot of reading with books entitled "Advanced Potions..." or "achievements in charming" or stuff like "Basic Hexes." They must notice this stuff, if they didn't notice something strange about her. Harry had his hair regrown in one day, neville bounced down the street, and other stuff like that would obviously bring up the parents' attention.

Old December 31st, 2005, 9:43 pm
Second Year

Hermione's parents deffinaly know that she is a witch, but I don't think they would tell anyone else

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives