Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Hermione's Family (Do they know she is a witch?)

Old January 1st, 2006, 12:22 am
Zonko's Employee

Re: Hermione's Family (Do they know she is a witch?)

Hmm. I never thought of it. Her parents seem to have no problem with it, and they are muggle dentists, but I think that if they told the rest of the family, it might slip out into the open and I'm sure that Hermione is smart and wouldnt be as so stupid as to allow her parents to do that. Maybe some really close relatives, like grandparents or something.

I agree that we do need more information on Hermione's background, perhaps Rowling is doing it on purpose? Some how, the other characters are becoming less and less important, especially with Half-Blood Prince. I think this may be the end of information on the matter of Ron and hermione's family. Plus Rowling says that it won't be a long book. I really wich it would, but with that fact out, there won't be enough to fit that in. I'm still trying to figure out how they are going to do it, period. are the going to open an ad in the Daily Prophet? 'Horcrux owners / seekers wanted'. Who knows, but if hermione and Ron decide to help, which Harry really doesn' like the idea of, we may only find a little bit of information on her.

JKR said she might make a book about exra characters life as in an 'extras' biography. Maybe she might explain 'something' about Hermione.

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:47 am
Second Year

I doubt that hermione relatives and everyone know but i know that her parents do. They were in diagon alley in the 3rd book..

When you 'bless my cotton socks,' please don't bless my cotton socks.

I wear Gold - Plated, diamond encrusted ones!

So indeed, it should be....'Bless your gold - plated, diamond encrusted socks'.

Toodles.

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)
Old January 1st, 2006, 1:34 am
Seventh Year

I hate that there isn't much background information on Hermione and her family. I doubt any other relatives apart from her parents know about her being a witch. The Wizarding world has to protect their secret so I think they'd try and tell as few people as they can and would ask those who do know to tell anyone.

Old January 1st, 2006, 9:54 pm
Zonko's Employee

Actually, it's been speculated by some that while Hermione's parents may know of he being a witch, they are only her adoptive parents. Apparently she is Harry's sister, who managed to survive the massacre at Godric's Hollow and was found by Dr. Granger and adopted.

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=80975

Old January 2nd, 2006, 5:16 am
Second Year

Quote:
You know, that's my main gripe with Hermione's character. A big lack of background information (and for me, I hate not having background information on a character; that's usually why I prefer reading manga to watching anime, but never mind all that). I hate the fact we don't know enough about her family to even speculate. She doesn't even mention a cousin, or an aunt, or an uncle in passing. I have this feeling, though, that only her parents know about it.
This leads me to believe that something in her background is being kept secret.

Quote:
Actually, it's been speculated by some that while Hermione's parents may know of he being a witch, they are only her adoptive parents
JKR has a habit of describing minor characters by their looks. Harry looked like everyone in the mirror of erised. Krum looked like his dad. Fluer looks like gabrielle. We don't get a single description of the Grangers, which leads me to believe they are adoptive parents.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 5:47 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnighterWitch
I always wondered what Hermoine's parents names are.

Not that it's important, I'm just curious.
yeah i wondered the same thing many times, does it have an important meaning?

Old January 2nd, 2006, 5:49 am
Fifth Year

They know she's a witch. From the little bit that JKR has given us about them, they know it and they support her. They buy all her supplies, robes, and whatnot. There's never really been a shread of information saying that her parents don't accept the wizarding world (like the Dursleys) and don't like that their daughter is a witch. Unless in the final book we hear more, perhaps her parents being afraid for her to go back to Hogwarts or something.

Thanks to random_musing for the inspiration ^_^

"Ron seemed to come to himself slightly as they walked back across the Great Hall. He touched the spot on his face where Hermione had kissed him, looking puzzled, as though he was not quite sure what had just happened. He seemed too distracted to notice much around him..." - Order of the Pheonix
Old January 2nd, 2006, 6:30 am
Second Year

Quote:
They know she's a witch. From the little bit that JKR has given us about them, they know it and they support her. They buy all her supplies, robes, and whatnot. There's never really been a shread of information saying that her parents don't accept the wizarding world (like the Dursleys) and don't like that their daughter is a witch. Unless in the final book we hear more, perhaps her parents being afraid for her to go back to Hogwarts or something.
Don't the Granger get money from Gringotts. I'm almost positive this happens, which would prove undeniably that they know Hermoine's a witch

Old January 2nd, 2006, 6:54 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_u_n_drummer
Don't the Granger get money from Gringotts. I'm almost positive this happens, which would prove undeniably that they know Hermoine's a witch
I think they exchange their "muggle" currency for wizarding currency in Gringotts.

Old January 2nd, 2006, 7:21 am
Second Year

I don't think anyone but her immediate family knows about her being a witch, talk about something to hide from your parents. But like a lot of people I want some background information on Hermione. The only time her parents are really mentioned is in the second book, and only briefly. I'm inclined to think that she might have been adopted, as mentioned before, or she might be having problems with her parents that makes her not want to talk about them. But I think Hermione's parents, what with the war and everything, might be in danger since they are muggles. I think they might be the next to die in the seventh book and that would make room for some more background information on Hermione.

I'm Mr. Oogie Boogie, and you ain't going nowhere....
Old January 2nd, 2006, 12:03 pm
Zonko's Employee

It's a really difficult one, not just in Hermione's case. Look at Petunia and Lily. Lily went off to Hogwarts and her parents and sister knew. Petunia told Vernon. What stops the family from telling others.

I don't think I could keep this sort of secret from my family. Normal families ask questions like what school you are sending your children to, what grades they are getting, who their friends are, what their parents do, etc., etc., etc.,

Maybe we just aren't expected to think that far. Maybe all muggle born witches and wizards don't have extended families !!!

Mrs Weasley set the potion down on the bedside cabinet, bent down, and put her arms around Harry. He had no memory of ever being hugged like this, as though by a mother. The full weight of everything he had seen that night seemed to fall in upon him as Mrs Weasley held him to her. His mother's face, his father's voice, the sight of Cedric, dead on the ground, all started spinning in his head until he could hardly bear it, until he was screwing up his face against the howl of misery fighting to get out of him
Old January 2nd, 2006, 2:01 pm
Second Year

i dont think any one else in her family apart from her parents would know about hermione being a witch because telling more people about her being a witch is exposing the wizarding world to the public so its best to keep as little people as possible knowing.

"Thats the beautiful thing about being human," he told me.
"Things change...."

*** I love Edward Cullen! ***
Old January 2nd, 2006, 2:20 pm
First Year

I think her parents appeared in the second book at the Diagon Alea, when they first met Lockheart.Or was it my idea?

And a lion roars in the Great Hall...
'I'm supporting Gryffindor,' said Luna, pointing unnecessarily at her hat.'Look what it does...'
(OotP, UK Edition, p. 357)
Old January 2nd, 2006, 3:58 pm
Third Year

They know! of course, they know she's a witch! they went to diagon alley, right??

Old January 4th, 2006, 8:27 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle
I think her parents appeared in the second book at the Diagon Alea, when they first met Lockheart.Or was it my idea?
The question is APARTfrom her parents. People like uncles, aunts, cousins

Mrs Weasley set the potion down on the bedside cabinet, bent down, and put her arms around Harry. He had no memory of ever being hugged like this, as though by a mother. The full weight of everything he had seen that night seemed to fall in upon him as Mrs Weasley held him to her. His mother's face, his father's voice, the sight of Cedric, dead on the ground, all started spinning in his head until he could hardly bear it, until he was screwing up his face against the howl of misery fighting to get out of him
Old January 5th, 2006, 5:37 am
McMugwump Supreme

Do we know if she has any other family, aside from her parents?

They probably know Hermione is talented, but the details may be hazy. I doubt they know about Hogwarts.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old January 5th, 2006, 6:10 am
Second Year

Ya i think the 'our daughter is a witch and practices magic' would be on a need to know basis. Everyone would catch on to the wizard world eventually if someone tell their parents, then they tell their parents and brothers. Then it moves onto cousins and removed cousins and people regard good freinds as family and then it moves on... Overall if the family of a muggleborn doesnt keep their mouth shut then the someones going to get wind of the plot. Off topic i'm still annoyed we don't even know anything about Hermiones parents apart from dentistry and that leads me to sibling theory or that they die sometime so they can be discarded and not worried about.

Old January 5th, 2006, 6:22 am
Second Year

Depends how close-knit the family is. Some families have very few secrets and are visiting each other frequently, whilst others don't know that much about each other and visit each other once a year at most.
Obviously if Hermione's family is close-knit then they would all know. But if not, then there would be no reason for her aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc, to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinoema
Actually, it's been speculated by some that while Hermione's parents may know of he being a witch, they are only her adoptive parents. Apparently she is Harry's sister, who managed to survive the massacre at Godric's Hollow and was found by Dr. Granger and adopted.

http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=80975
What? Harry's sister? That is so... Starwarsy!
She may have been adopted but by the way that her parents are so rarely descibed, it probably doesn't matter all that much and certainly wouldn't have much of an impact on the storyline.

The game is afoot!

Last edited by scribbleface; January 5th, 2006 at 6:27 am.
Old January 5th, 2006, 8:21 am
Second Year

We know that Hermione doesn't have any brothers or sisters. Her Parents must know as they were at Gringotts bank in Diagon Alley to exchange their money. They even met the Weasley's.

What keeps the 'secret' from spreading is fear. What do you think would happen to Hermiones parents if they went around saying that She was a witch? Even if the Ministry didn't have anything to do with it, they'd end up in the loony bin, everyone would think they're crazy.

Unless some of Hermione's extended family saw her do some accidental magic when she was younger I don't think they know. And if they did see something it ends there, they wouldn't want to tell anybody for fear if being labeled crazy.

On a side note, I too am slightly dissapointed that we don't know much about Hermiones parents. Mostly becuse I would like to know EVERYTHING about the world of Harry Potter, although that probobly won't happen unlesss Jo puplishes her notebooks and papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbleface
What? Harry's sister? That is so... Starwarsy!

And I aim to misbehave
Old January 5th, 2006, 8:33 am
Third Year

If Hermoine has any family beyond her parents, it's possible that they are not allowed to know about the world of magic. It's all about the wizarding world's secrecy and the consequences of magic being available to everyone. Ther emust be some kind of law that limits the spread of information about the magical world to blood relatives (big emphasis on blood in HP). i.e. Lily to Petunia

Many thanks to werefrog!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives