Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Hermione's Family (Do they know she is a witch?)

Old January 5th, 2006, 8:44 am
First Year

Re: Hermione's Family (Do they know she is a witch?)

I'd imagine that if her extended family knew Hermione was a witch, the poor girl would most likely be receiving dozens of requests asking for her to "fix the television set" or to solve any number of various problems with magic. Also, if the extended family knew it would most likely slip out from at least one of them. (If the relatives are not married, would they tell their boyfriends or girlfriends? Would they let the secret slip if they broke up and didn't really have any strong bonds with the family?)

Every new person you tell you also have to brief on the Statue of Secrecy and so forth. It's just really messy.

Plus, no offense, but if Hermione's mother started telling her brother-in-law that her daughter is a witch and started rambling on about her school for witchcraft and wizardry, I wouldn't be surprised if he would simply think her mentally ill.

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2006, 8:46 am
Second Year

I think fear is enough. I'd be scared that everyone would think i'm crazy if I went around saying I had a magical kid.

And I aim to misbehave
Old January 5th, 2006, 8:50 am
Third Year

There has to be some lunatics in the magical world (unless magic doesn't like those kind of people, and therefore doesn't inhabit them), some person that doesn't care about consequences; they wouldn't care if somebody knew they were magical. What's there to stop them from telling their families if there was no law that forbade them?

Many thanks to werefrog!
Old January 5th, 2006, 8:57 am
Second Year

Thats where the ministry and their memory modifications come in

...there is no spoon.....

And I aim to misbehave

Last edited by Pyrodogg; January 5th, 2006 at 9:10 am.
Old January 5th, 2006, 9:17 am
First Year

I guess I think its surprising that the wizarding world is still a well kept secret. I guess I'm surprised some crazy sister or brother of a muggle born witch or wizard hasn't told more muggles or something. I guess part of what keeps muggle families from blabbing is the fact that most people would consider them insane if they presented such an idea. But yeah, I'm just surprised.

Old January 5th, 2006, 10:03 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorridgeBoy
Well I know from one of the interviews JKR made the Grangers very plain and unobtrusive with the whole storyline. So therefore the Weasleys were basically the "family of the friend" that was concentrated upon. I don't know really what to think about the Grangers. I feel in order to keep the book fairly competent it's quite too late to actually introduce them as significant or as part of the storyline unless it's going to be some dues ex machine suprise that'll pretty much come off as totally lame.

But seriously the more I think about it, the less Hermione is of a character because of the total lack of her parents. Like I said before, it seems awfully convinient for Hermione to be with Ron and Harry with the holidays as well engaging in dangerous situations without her parents giving a lick of concern, unless Hermione glosses over her adventures during the summer. I just hope an explanation for that doesn't turn out to be extremely lame.

But seriously, regarding Hermione as a character, the lack of her parents really dampens her as a character in general to me, at least the mere mentioning of them. It just leaves her a bit incomplete as a character. Aside from conjecture on how teenagers act; Hermione's attitude in just bolting away from her parents to stay with her friends seems awfully a bit too easy at times. In some ways, it kinda leads me to think how shallow a character Hermione is when regarding any of her character outside of Hogwarts.

I understand the need to streamline a plot so it doesn't bog down the book, that's why OoTP was a bit too hefty and long winded. But consideirng how important the theme of family is in the HP series, it does leave Hermione a bit singled out. Harry has his parents to think about, Ron has his parents, and Hermione...well it just leaves her being flat. I hope in some compacity they are introduced and not as an afterthought such as Hermione introducing her fiance Ron. I think after how hard the concept about family was drilled into our minds, that Hermione's parents at least make a significant appearance to support that theme. Even if they are souless dental cyborgs.

Unless JKR is really *really* emphasizing Hermione to be part of the Weasley family more than with hers, then I guess it's ok...but one can't help to like a bit of consistency amongst showing the trio's parents and their love.
I agree with you here. JKR had said that she wanted Harry to get friendly with the Weasleys because they're more interesting than a boring pair of muggles dentists, but the fact remains that there are some things about Hermione's background, which includes her relationship with her parents, that bother me, for instance, it was so convenient for her to make up some feeble lie about schoolwork and joining her friends at Grimmauld Place, then there's the fact that since the Grangers are muggles and if they know about Hermione risking her neck and amost getting killed in the wizarding world, didn't they ever prevent her from going back to school so that she'll be safe at home where they can watch over her? There's nothing in the books that shows us that they're ok wth everything she does and if they're your normal, boring dentists, surely they would have a problem with her going on numerous adventures, assuming that they know something about her activities in school. Therefore, I avoid questioning Hermione's background altogether because she's one of my favorite characters in the series and just thinking about it makes her very 2-dimensional and unreal.

And as for the thread question, no, I seriously doubt that Hermione's relatives or anyone else in her family apart from her parents know about her being a witch. The Ministry probably forbade the Grangers to talk about it with anyone and to make up some story about Hermione's schooling.

Dance Pretty
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:06 am
First Year

Their parents know it. Somewhere in the books says they were at Gringotts trading money.

Old January 5th, 2006, 1:56 pm
Sixth Year

Well, we've seen her parents in Diagon Alley, haven't we?
As for extended family, they might be keeping it secret and be saying she's going to the best boarding school in England or something.

Being perfect is when you can look someone in the eye and know you did not let them down. - Friday Night Lights

"When I pray, you answer me; and encourage me by giving me the strength I need." - Psalm 138:3
Old January 5th, 2006, 6:28 pm
First Year

I think that Hermione's parents must know that she is a witch, I mean after all, they did take her to Diagon Ally and were there in Flourish and Blotts with her.

Old January 5th, 2006, 10:25 pm
Sixth Year

It's obvious her family knows. However, it brings up an interesting issue: how many muggles in a witch or wizard's family does the ministry allow to know about the Wizarding Community?

Harry loses it again.
Old January 5th, 2006, 10:27 pm
First Year

They know. Thats all I have to say...

Old January 5th, 2006, 10:55 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Off topic i'm still annoyed we don't even know anything about Hermiones parents apart from dentistry
When you get down to it, we know more about the muggle hotel owner from book one that tells the dursleys they have 100 Hogwarts letters. I can't see this not being a consious atempt to hide something about the Grangers.

Quote:
What? Harry's sister? That is so... Starwarsy
What really annoys me is quotes like this about theories, higligting a possible smakk connection to star wars. No one has a problem with the canon that makes a large connection to star wars (When a wizard turns to the dark side there is no comming back stuff for example), so what's wrong with thories?

Another thing that bothers me is what was told to Hermoine's old friends. Since she probably went to school she had to know some non-related people.

Old January 5th, 2006, 11:18 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
When you get down to it, we know more about the muggle hotel owner from book one that tells the dursleys they have 100 Hogwarts letters. I can't see this not being a consious atempt to hide something about the Grangers.
No way. We know a lot about Hermione and I don't even rememer that guy. We know more about her parents than Luna's, or Neville's. Thye just aren't that important to te story, though they may be at the wedding.

Quote:
No one has a problem with the canon that makes a large connection to star wars (When a wizard turns to the dark side there is no comming back stuff for example), so what's wrong with thories?
Where was that connection? I don't see it. In fact I see just the opposite- an enphasis on choices and redemption.

Anyway, I'm sure Hermione's parents know quite a lot, sinde they are on good tems with Molly and Arthur, and the rest of her family and friends just know she goes to an exclusive, 'genius only' boarding school that takes a great deal of her time.

Old January 5th, 2006, 11:31 pm
Sixth Year

I'm guessing that her close family knows (uncles, aunts, grandparets, etc) but seriously, her REALLY extended family would already be dead!

Old January 5th, 2006, 11:39 pm
Third Year

Not really, I have a friend who knows cousins who are [exaggeration]213414350971324 [/exaggeration]times removed. If you every person related to you knew about your magical abilities, then that would be quite a huge number of people. The Statute of Secrecy strikes me as something that would prevent such spread of information to so many people.

Many thanks to werefrog!
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:12 am
First Year

1. It's canon that Hermione's parents know that she's magical. They go to Diagon Alley, they know about Harry, they recieve Owls, they read the Daily Prophet (I think I'm not mistaken on that last one).

2. While Hermione might have been born to two nonmagical adults (muggles) I remember JK saying something about magical abilities being a dominant trait and so if they had the trait somehow, then it's likely that other members of their families (even if it's several generations removed) probably were magical. It may just be a general family fact and therefore the family members would know the rules about not revealing the magic world to muggles or families that have exhibited no magical abilities whatsoever.

3. I am a huge Hermione fan so naturally any details about Hermione are a big deal to me. I'm okay with her parents, being boring Dentists, not being mentioned all that much. I assume to a great degree that she had a regular upbringing even if it seems her family is a bit geeky (sorry to those who are dentists or in that field). My sole problem is that geek parents tend to be a bit more concerned about their kids and very much involved. I hid stuff from my parents all the time, so I accept that Hermione would do that in regards to going to Grimmauld place rather than skiing. However, I find it difficult to believe that her parents are so easily fooled, aside from the fact that for the most part Hermione has a gleaming character (honest, bright, responsible). That's my sole issue with the lack of info on what's going on in Hermione's home.

"I should have made my meaning plainer," said Professor McGonagall, turning at last to look at Umbridge directly in the eyes. "He has achieved high marks in all Defense Against the Dark Arts tests set by a competent teacher."
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:18 am
Seventh Year

Yeah, they know, they've been to Diagon Alley haven't they? Plus, they would have to know, how would you hide something like that from your own parents.

As for the question how many people per family know about the witch/wizard in their family, I think its just direct family, like moms, dads, brothers and sisters. No uncles, aunts or cousins, thats just taking it to far.

Old January 6th, 2006, 12:25 am
Second Year

Quote:
While Hermione might have been born to two nonmagical adults (muggles) I remember JK saying something about magical abilities being a dominant trait and so if they had the trait somehow, then it's likely that other members of their families (even if it's several generations removed) probably were magical. It may just be a general family fact and therefore the family members would know the rules about not revealing the magic world to muggles or families that have exhibited no magical abilities whatsoever.
Which is why I believe that Dagworth-Granger is more important then we have been led to believe.

Old January 6th, 2006, 12:36 am
Zonko's Employee

That could be true. If he (Dagworth-Granger) is actually a remote relative, then Hermione may not be the first Granger to have magical abilities. Maybe Jo was foreshadowing another important wizard in the Granger tree. Interesting!

Old January 6th, 2006, 1:07 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorridgeBoy
But seriously, regarding Hermione as a character, the lack of her parents really dampens her as a character in general to me, at least the mere mentioning of them. It just leaves her a bit incomplete as a character. Aside from conjecture on how teenagers act; Hermione's attitude in just bolting away from her parents to stay with her friends seems awfully a bit too easy at times. In some ways, it kinda leads me to think how shallow a character Hermione is when regarding any of her character outside of Hogwarts.
Hermione is the very bright and overachieving ONLY CHILD of professional people - I think this sort of behavior is right on the mark. Only children tend to be a bit more independent. Their parents tend to treat them as "grown ups" a bit sooner than parents of multiple children. A good education often makes parents a bit gullible too - the better educated the harder time a parent has discerning "Bull-Hockey" from being reasonable in a teenager.

Last edited by fawnmarie; January 6th, 2006 at 1:14 am.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives