Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Hermione's Family (Do they know she is a witch?)

Old January 6th, 2006, 1:24 am
First Year

Re: Hermione's Family (Do they know she is a witch?)

I don't think anyone in her family besides her parents know Hermione is a witch. Mr & Mrs Granger probably know that Hermione is smart enough to hide the fact that she is a witch and goes to away to Hogwarts every year from her family. They probably tell relatives that Hermione goes to some genius boarding school to cover up her long absences when she's at Hogwarts.

Make sure you're not spoiling the Deathly Hallows, or this little kitty will have to go kung-fu on you!!

I tried to be like Grace Kelly, but all her looks were too sad.
So I tried a little Freddie, I've gone identity mad!

~MIKA "Grace Kelly"

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2006, 1:41 am
Second Year

The real question

My god we've had 3 pages of the same stuff. Hermione's parents know that she's a witch. Proof: in GoF she says that they wouldn't let her shrink her teeth by magic.

I don't think she had many friends before she got the Hogwarts letter because she's really awkward socially when she arrives at Hogwarts in PS/SS.

The real question: What do Hermione's parents say when asked about her school?

Old January 6th, 2006, 3:23 am
Second Year

Quote:
That could be true. If he (Dagworth-Granger) is actually a remote relative, then Hermione may not be the first Granger to have magical abilities. Maybe Jo was foreshadowing another important wizard in the Granger tree. Interesting
I always found it weird the lack of attention that Hermoine gave this potential family member. She had nevr heard of him, and din't bother to research later.

Quote:
The real question: What do Hermione's parents say when asked about her school
Saint Brutus's

Just Kidding

Last edited by f_u_n_drummer; January 6th, 2006 at 3:25 am.
Old January 6th, 2006, 6:47 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Isn't this why Salazar Slytherin was so worried about muggle borns entering the school? Because their families would leak the news and instigated a witch hunt?

Anyway, if you got a letter inviting you to a school that your parents have never heard of, wouldn't they ask to see the letter. Wouldn't their parents want a little information first? Dumbledore seems the type of person to give muggle parents information about the school that their children are attending.

Isn't there a part somewhere where Petunia talks about Lily performing magic at home? It just makes sense that muggle relatives know about magic.

Old January 6th, 2006, 8:53 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_u_n_drummer

What really annoys me is quotes like this about theories, higligting a possible smakk connection to star wars. No one has a problem with the canon that makes a large connection to star wars (When a wizard turns to the dark side there is no comming back stuff for example), so what's wrong with thories?

Please don't jump to conclusions about my statement. I never said there was anything wrong with the theory of Hermione being Harry's sister, but I innocently compared it to the whole Luke & Leia brother/sister thing because you can't deny that there is a similarity between that theory and the Starwars canon.
What is wrong with a similar plotline? Nothing, but I very much doubt that JK would write something so far-fetched without her usual style of dropping hints (which, in my opinion she hasn't about this particular theory, no matter what essays I have read on the matter). I also don't think she would repeat something which has quite evidently been done to death. Her books are unique, and I think that plays a big part in making them so popular.
No matter which way I look at it, I just don't think that Hermione is Harry's sister, any more than Snape is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone whom i forgot
Thankyou for the link! it is most interesting. far-fetched, even a little crazy, but interesting.

Hinoema - I sincerely apoligize if you took my reply to your theory as an insult. In the life of me it was never intended as one!

The game is afoot!

Last edited by scribbleface; January 6th, 2006 at 9:14 am.
Old January 6th, 2006, 9:03 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginny_harry1
I doubt it. The wizarding world is very secret. If any of her other family memebers know it would be her grandparents. I don't think anyone but her parents do though.
i think so too..

Old January 6th, 2006, 9:24 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Hinoema - I sincerely apoligize if you took my reply to your theory as an insult. In the life of me it was never intended as one!
Huh? What reply? Lol... it's all good. I never take these discussions too seriously.

Old January 6th, 2006, 10:38 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinoema
Huh? What reply? Lol... it's all good. I never take these discussions too seriously.

Thats good because someone seemed to think that you were taking it as an insult.

The game is afoot!
Old January 6th, 2006, 3:50 pm
Fourth Year

This leads to another question: what about wizards/witches marrying muggles? How does that happen and what happens when they are told? I can see a Bewitched situation where only the husband knows and hilarity ensues. Seriously, if you aren't allowed to perform magic in the presense of a muggle, how do we wind up with a generation of half bloods? Marrying into the muggle worlds seems to go against the laws of the magic world.

SPLISH SPLASH HARRY'S TAKING' A BATH!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"What are you doing, Potter?" said Snape coldly as ever, as he strode over to the four of them.
"I'm trying to decide what curse to use on Malfoy, sir," said Harry fiercely.
Old January 7th, 2006, 1:53 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyagogo
This leads to another question: what about wizards/witches marrying muggles? How does that happen and what happens when they are told? I can see a Bewitched situation where only the husband knows and hilarity ensues. Seriously, if you aren't allowed to perform magic in the presense of a muggle, how do we wind up with a generation of half bloods? Marrying into the muggle worlds seems to go against the laws of the magic world.
Like someone said, the magical world would have died out had it not been for breeding with muggles so I imagine there was a directive to get along with muggles or let magic die out. I imagine at some point of time they allowed muggle intermingling before laws were so stringently enforced. However nowadays I don't know. There seems a high unlikelyhood of Wizards meeting with muggles (as in romantically bumping into each other such as a club, or the grocery store), unless they are half bloods anyways and know of the muggle world.

I would imagine that considering the ineptitude of ministry, they really don't enforce magic in front of muggles when coming to love. A regular memory charm could erase an entire relationship gone bad, kinda like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

But what I find more interesting is that perhaps there isn't really any "muggle born " wizards and witches to say. I mean if magic has been around as long as the HP universe dictates, one could imagine that through mating with muggles in the past, that they could have passed on slight/residual magic powers/talent to future generations. For all we know, the Grangers' lineage could have had a wizard, witch or even squib (with a potential of genetic magical talent) be part of the family in their ancestry.

Old January 7th, 2006, 2:04 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_u_n_drummer
When you get down to it, we know more about the muggle hotel owner from book one that tells the dursleys they have 100 Hogwarts letters. I can't see this not being a consious atempt to hide something about the Grangers.
JKR had said that she had wanted Harry to get to know the Weasleys because they're much more interesting than muggle dentists. She's keeping them in the background because they're very normal and boring as opposed to a family of wizards through which we can get new information and get familar with the magical world.

Dance Pretty
Old January 8th, 2006, 9:26 am
Zonko's Employee

Bah, the Weasleys lost their spark ages ago. Bring out the dentists!

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible." |Catcher in the Rye

Siggy image from LA 1960s & Avatar made by Makani|*PLEASE DO NOT TAKE*
Old January 8th, 2006, 9:34 am
First Year

I browsed very quicky through this thread, and didn't spot anything like this, so apologies if this has already been brought up.

In Half-Blood Prince, Luna said something about the Aurors being part of the Rotfang (sp?) conspiracy which aims to bring down the Ministry of Magic through a combination of Dark magic and gum disease.

Gum disease... and Hermione's parents are dentists!

Do you think it's significant? Or does it hint at a bigger role for Hermione's parents in the 7th book?

Old January 8th, 2006, 2:19 pm
Second Year

I don't think they know. They probably wouldn't react very well to it- look at petunia and lily.

And anyway, she's hardly ever at home!

Old January 8th, 2006, 2:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well_Wisher
I don't think they know. They probably wouldn't react very well to it- look at petunia and lily.

And anyway, she's hardly ever at home!
They know. In Chamber of Secrets, they were in Diagon Alley with her, buying her new books for school.

Old January 8th, 2006, 3:28 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyRavenMe
They know. In Chamber of Secrets, they were in Diagon Alley with her, buying her new books for school.
I meant her extended family- aunts, uncles and cousins.

I Know her parents know.

Old January 8th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Second Year

It all depends on how close the family is, if most of Hermione's other family live in australia then chances are, they won't know but if she has an aunt that lives with her or whatever then her parents will have told her.

Old January 8th, 2006, 4:10 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well_Wisher
I meant her extended family- aunts, uncles and cousins.

I Know her parents know.
Oh, sorry, I didn't read the first post carefully enough.

Well, I don't think her extended family would know.

Old January 8th, 2006, 4:13 pm
Third Year

I think its just her parents that know, i don't think they would or even be allowed to tell anyone els family or not.

There is a popular theory which states that if ever anyone discovered exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states this has already happened.

Old January 8th, 2006, 7:14 pm
Second Year

Ok, stupid question. Don't Hermione and her parents meet The Weaslys in front of Gringotts in PoA?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives