Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Hermione's Family (Do they know she is a witch?)

Old January 8th, 2006, 6:24 pm
First Year

Re: Hermione's Family (Do they know she is a witch?)

yep, i believe they do

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2006, 6:46 pm
Second Year

Hermione's parents know that hs is a witch but i am not sure that her other relatives know. do we know any of them?

I'll love him to death!
Thanks to beki14 for the fab sig!
Old January 8th, 2006, 8:36 pm
Fifth Year

In my opinion, that would make an entire subplot not worth following for the sake of Harry's story. I think it would be more likely that Hermione had a small family and/or only her parents knew she was a witch. We have to remember, the main story (The 7 books) are about Harry versus Voldemort. Maybe we'll get to know more about this in due time...

Old January 9th, 2006, 8:47 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_musing
Bah, the Weasleys lost their spark ages ago. Bring out the dentists!
The Weasleys still don't seem any less intriguing even without their spark, so I prefer the goods on them any day than a pair of muggle dentists But even in the unlikely situation that JKR puts in information about the Grangers, she'll somehow manage to spice it up by getting them attacked and then rescued by the Weasleys and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyRavenMe
I browsed very quicky through this thread, and didn't spot anything like this, so apologies if this has already been brought up.

In Half-Blood Prince, Luna said something about the Aurors being part of the Rotfang (sp?) conspiracy which aims to bring down the Ministry of Magic through a combination of Dark magic and gum disease.

Gum disease... and Hermione's parents are dentists!

Do you think it's significant? Or does it hint at a bigger role for Hermione's parents in the 7th book?
It's an interesting observation but I highly doubt this means anything. Even if it did mean anything, I can't see how the Grangers' profession ties in with Dark Magic in the Roftang (sp?) conspiracy, which sounds as believable as Sirius as Stubby Boardman.

Dance Pretty

Last edited by PotionA; January 9th, 2006 at 10:16 am.
Old January 9th, 2006, 8:58 am
First Year

Harry parents know that she is a witch, but I do think that not all of her relatives know about it. If she has relatives, her parents would have to think through weather to tell her relatives because some people seriously despises witches and wizards, or anything that has gotta do with the magical world.

Old January 9th, 2006, 8:45 pm
Student

just a thought , but wouldn't the bookish- finding out everything she could find about the magical world -Hermione already know if she was related to Hector dagworth-Granger. That is what always bothered me, that HErmione would know if she was.
She seemed more interested in finding out the heritage of the HBP than her own.
She just said.."um I don't think so, i am muggleborn you see.

that doesn't sound very hermione like to me. A character that loves to spend time in the library looking anything up. oh well
just a random thought

Old January 9th, 2006, 9:01 pm
Third Year

While we know for a fact that Hermione's parents do possess knowledge that she is a witch, I think it is also safe to assume that anyone outside of her immediate family is ignorant of the fact.

I believe that any siblings that she has must know, a) because she must talk about schoool/read books of magic etc during the holidays and b) I remember in PoA that Dennis Creevey tells Harry that Colin had told him all about Harry and that he had sent him some pictures. And although the Creevey's don't seem to be the sharpest tools in the shed, he must have noticed the photographed Harry wandering in and out of the frame.

Old January 10th, 2006, 1:35 am
Second Year

Weren't Hermione's parents in Diagon Alley in book 2? It would be kinda obvious if there were owls and stuff around Mr. and Mrs. Granger that they would figure the witch thing out.
Does that make sense?

Is when the colors bleed."
-Longwave
Old January 10th, 2006, 5:21 pm
Second Year

I don't think her family knows about it (apart from her parents, of course).
Maybe a close aunt/uncle/cousin... grandparents? though we don't even know if she has any....

Join Harry Potter Enchanted

Madam Pomfrey is the real hero!
Please, excuse my English, I'm not a native speaker
Old January 10th, 2006, 5:39 pm
Fifth Year

Her parents certainly know she's a witch, but I think they are not allowed to tell anyone else. Wizarding world is supposed to be a secret and if, hypothetically, every muggleborn wizards and witches told their entire family that they are wizards/witches, there wouldn't be many muggles left who wouldn't know about the wizarding world.

I am not sure if we find out about them any thing more in the last book. Can two muggle-dentists be important in the war against Voldemort? I doubt it. Maybe there will be a subplot. For example, I am not sure if they agree that Hermione is not coming back to school in the next year. Will we see a visit to the house of Grangers?

Old January 11th, 2006, 3:12 am
First Year

it's obvious in Book 2 that her parents know, and they might've told her grandparents or something.

Old January 11th, 2006, 3:43 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Hm, I'm going to say yes. I think her parents may have told close family members to avoid explaining her 9 month long absences. That and maybe some other family members suspected something was different about her as well. What if she did something in front of a few of them? There's also the fact that she's spending an awful lot of time away from her parents now...her relatives would probably start to wonder, "Why isn't Hermione home for Christmas?" and the like.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old January 11th, 2006, 3:48 am
First Year

I think they know...you see...Hermione even want to tell them about her being a prefect....

Old January 11th, 2006, 3:54 am
Second Year

Yes, I think that they know, or well i am almost positive that they know. When Hermione gets her Prefect badge in OotP she asks Harry to borrow hedwig so she can write her parents. She says, "this is somthing they will understand"

Wise Words from a wise man..Albus Dumbledore!

~Don't Dwell On Dreams and Forget to Live
~I'm not worried Im With you
~Tom, Mearley taking you life wouldnt satisfy me
~Well....it's just that you seem to be laboring under the delusion that I am going to come...whats the phrase...come quietley
~Old men are guilty if they forget what its like to be young
Old January 11th, 2006, 3:58 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthyuki999
Ok, stupid question. Don't Hermione and her parents meet The Weaslys in front of Gringotts in PoA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury
But what I want to know is this: Hermione's family (other than her parents)... do they know she is a witch? Of course it would lead to the question if she had any other relatives... aunts, uncles, grandparents... but do you think they know about her being a witch?
^^^ Quote from the first post...

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old January 11th, 2006, 9:24 am
Second Year

Hermione's parents definetely know she is a witch, but surely the rest of her family wouldn't know, it would be very indiscreet considering Fudge says that the Ministry of Magic's main job is to keep it from the muggles that there is still Witches and Wizards living up and down the country. Her paretns would probably just tell her other relatives that she went to boarding school, although it might get hard to explain why Hermione begins to rarely ever come home, even in the summer holidays.

"So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

'You don't pay me. We don't even exist. We're just a clever visual metaphor to personify the abstract concept of thought."

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, “where have I gone wrong?” then a voice says to me, “this is going to take more than one night.”
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:41 am
First Year

We don't know much about Hermione's relatives other than her parents. And all we know about them are that they are dentists...I think JKR said before that this is not important to the overall story, like Prof. Flitwick's goblin ancestry.

Old January 11th, 2006, 11:03 am
McMugwump Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDaysAhead
I think her parents may have told close family members to avoid explaining her 9 month long absences.
Regular boarding school can explain 9-month absences.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old January 11th, 2006, 3:58 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyRavenMe
Oh, sorry, I didn't read the first post carefully enough.

Well, I don't think her extended family would know.
Don't worry about it

Old January 11th, 2006, 5:12 pm
Third Year

Hermoine had to have found out about the wizarding world somehow, and how to get magic books to study. One of her parents might be like Harry's Aunt petnia in the fact that they have a brother or sister that went to Hogwertz, and thats why Hermoine decided she wanted to be a witch.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives